» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Those affects weren't very special

Written By: snozberries on 05/05/08 at 4:33 pm

Okay.... here's the place to post the cheesiest special affects you've ever seen in a film.

I start with Jaws 3D  the image of the shark "swimming" towards the control booth...that horrible.  If was more like floating than swimming!  ;D

Subject: Re: Those affects weren't very special

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/08 at 4:56 pm

The grandaddy of unspecial effects in the 80s belongs to the 1985 film King Solomon's Mines  and it's 1987 sequel Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold.  So many scenes are unbelieveably just so cheesy, but they are still great films

What's funny is that even though both films are blatant rip-offs from Indiana Jones (even the music), Raiders of the Lost Ark  was based on the original King Solomon's Mines  of the 1930s LOL

Here's a clip from 1985's King Solomon's Mines.  Who knew Richard Chamberlain could do action? ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SmA3P0s_XE

Written By: Davester on 05/05/08 at 8:36 pm

The grandaddy of unspecial effects in the 80s belongs to the 1985 film King Solomon's Mines  and it's 1987 sequel Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold.  So many scenes are unbelieveably just so cheesy, but they are still great films

What's funny is that even though both films are blatant rip-offs from Indiana Jones (even the music), Raiders of the Lost Ark  was based on the original King Solomon's Mines  of the 1930s LOL

Here's a clip from 1985's King Solomon's Mines.  Who knew Richard Chamberlain could do action? ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SmA3P0s_XE

I forgot about King Solomon's Mines.  Went to see it, didn't like it.  It was supposed to be Indiana Jonseyish.  Jeez, I watched alot of stink bombs back then...

Movies like Deathstalker, Kull (Krull?) The Conqueror and Rawhead Rex had some cheesy special FX.  My sister really dug these kinds of flicks so I watched alot of them with her.  Not my usual stuff.  And for Jaws 3-D - haven't watched it but it's cheesiness is legend...

Written By: KKay on 05/06/08 at 7:33 am

I love t his thread. I will walk out a film with bad affects. 
I HATED the last three Star Wars films realeased for this reason. I tried one at the threater, we walked out.  Ugh. Awful.
Reign of Fire was more realistic!
I will come back and rant away on this thread.

Written By: Gis on 05/06/08 at 7:36 am

I love t his thread. I will walk out a film with bad affects. 
I HATED the last three Star Wars films realeased for this reason. I tried one at the threater, we walked out.  Ugh. Awful.
Reign of Fire was more realistic!
I will come back and rant away on this thread.
Oh dear I thought Yoda fighting Christopher Lee was awesome, he was kicking ass!

Written By: KKay on 05/06/08 at 7:38 am

Oh dear I thought Yoda fighting Christopher Lee was awesome, he was kicking ass!

Yes....it was hysterical!  he WAS kicking ass!  good thing the background wasn't black, though.  Then he'd be flying around with his digitized shadow.

-- ;D I forggot about that.  i loved that.

Written By: woops on 05/07/08 at 12:43 am

"The Matrix"... cool the first time, though got cheesy with many imitations

Written By: snozberries on 05/07/08 at 3:27 pm

I'm planning a movie marathon of cheesy flix so I'll have tons to post later.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/08 at 3:45 pm

The original Star Trek series.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Brigitte on 05/07/08 at 8:10 pm

Any 50's sci-fi
EXSPECIALY "PLAN  9  FROM OUTER SPACE"

Written By: KKay on 05/08/08 at 6:41 am

by the way,...I LOVE the title of this thread.  It's so dead-pan and not sincere.  Well done.

Written By: snozberries on 06/14/08 at 6:19 pm

by the way,...I LOVE the title of this thread.  It's so dead-pan and not sincere.  Well done.

Thanks.... it's usually the first thing I say when I see something like this....
The Stuff

Written By: whistledog on 06/14/08 at 9:30 pm

visible wires:  look for them ...

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - When Superman lands on the moon for the second time, OMG those visible wires (white wires on a black background.  Like we aren't s'posed to see them?) are supporting him.  You mean he really can't fly?  WTF? LOL

Cannonball Run II - When Jackie Chan kicks Telly Savalas, and he goes spinning away.  OMG, those visible wires are suspending him.  You mean he needs wires to spin?  I am dissapointed! LOL

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/16/08 at 4:46 pm

Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon.

The fight sequences kill me. Even birds can't float in the air for ten minutes and fight. (And I actually saw it ripped off for a DISNEY movie!) :-\\

Written By: spoiler on 06/16/08 at 9:40 pm

CT/HD's effects weren't supposed to look realistic, just real. :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 06/16/08 at 9:59 pm

CT/HD's effects weren't supposed to look realistic, just real. :-\\

If floating on top of trees is real, then I don't want to know what Ang Lee considers to be fake lol

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/17/08 at 12:33 am

I think it was in the movie "Day after tomorrow" where the computer animated wolves on the ship were supposed to be realistic, and I just thought they didn't quite have the movement down realistically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGMALO50hKs

Not that I could have done any better really.  It was fine, but I thought it could have been better.

Check for new replies or respond here...