» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Worst fads in music

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/07/08 at 12:49 pm

I can't stand any of them, but at least hair metal has a few good bands (i.e. Motley Crue, Def Leppard), so that choice is out. Disco was very short lived, so its effect on modern society is negligible (even if it spawned countless genre's, you'll never see a modern disco fan), and it just isn't as bad as some of the other choices. I'll admit, nu metal is incredibly fake and irritating, but at least some of the bands are now attempting a more thrash type of sound and are even using solos - the most notable being Disturbed - and System of a Down is a fudgeing great band. Crunk/Snap is just a modern disco, and it's being supplanted by more serious hip hop as I write this...and at least it's catchy. That leaves emo and teen pop...and I gotta say, this is a hard decision. Both genre's are incredibly corporate, and both are known for their incredibly effeminate male bands. But at least emo bands use instruments and don't rely on other people to write their songs. Also, emo has happened once and once only, and it is on its way out even now. Teen pop has reared its ugly head in the late 80's as well as at the end of the 90's, and both times it has produced some of the worst and most reviled "artists" of modern times (80's - New Kids on the Block, Paula Abdul; 90's - N'Sync, Britney Spears). Hopefully, with this recession, any remnants of this fake genre will be wiped clear off the radar for years to come, as it seems its only popular in times of great prosperity (what a price we have to pay, huh?). Teen pop is the worst fad for me.

Subject: Re: Worst fads in music

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/08 at 12:56 pm

Of the given above in the poll, each are all equally bad as each other.

Written By: woops on 05/07/08 at 3:07 pm

80's teen pop had it's share of good artists like The Jets and "you know who"

Later '90's to present... ugh, there's far more manufactured pop acts and that lip synching is acceptable  8-P

Disco is the worst since I don't see the appeal of it.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/07/08 at 6:36 pm

Teen Pop isn't a fad since it wasn't temporary. It has been a part of every decade.

Emo gets my vote.

Written By: midnite on 05/07/08 at 6:40 pm

IMO fake post-1996 "hip hop" is the worst music. It trumps whiny emo.

Written By: luiscurse on 05/07/08 at 7:48 pm

I used to love hip-hop, so I voted for that snap crap cause it hits too close to home,

comparing a snap beat to an early 90's beat(Wu-Tang)
is like comparing an infant hitting random piano keys to a Beethoven Symphony

Written By: Brigitte on 05/07/08 at 8:05 pm

I'm old, what's emo? Do you have an example I could hear?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/07/08 at 8:26 pm

I'm old, what's emo? Do you have an example I could hear?

Trust me, you don't want to hear any of it  :D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/08/08 at 12:29 am

Hair Metal, Nu Metal, Disco, Teen Pop, and even Emo all have songs that are at least listenable. The Crunk/Snap genre of rap is probably some of  the worst "music" ever made 8-P

Written By: KKay on 05/08/08 at 7:03 am

fads inthe history of music?

although i listened to some of the bands, the worst was the "new romantics" era...guys in frilly shirts and eyeliner.  like the beginning of Spandau Ballet...Adam and the Ants taken too far. 

they all looked like this for about 6 months...then the fad died

http://www.childofthe1980s.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/adam-and-the-ants.jpg

Written By: Lindee on 05/08/08 at 11:02 am

I voted for rap.  I absolutely cannot stand it.  8-P

I didn't mind Disco that much. The only part I didn't like was when some rock stars recorded songs with the disco sound/beat ex: KISS and Rod Stewart.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/08/08 at 5:40 pm

Snap rap and about 90% of southern hip-hop, it's the worst music I ever heard. Emo would follow closely.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/09/08 at 3:41 am

The awful rap that was popular (and although popularity has waned, it's still kinda prominent) on Top 40 stations in the early and middle part of this century.

Written By: Davester on 05/12/08 at 10:50 am

The Simmons drum machines in alot of 80s music.  I don't know if it was a fad, but I'm just sayin'...

Check for new replies or respond here...