» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: "We Are The Winners" - The ESC Past and Present

Written By: Henk on 05/21/08 at 4:23 pm

It's time for the ESC (Eurovision Song Contest) again... So here's some rather random Top 5 lists I've compiled. I know not a lot of you will be interested, but what the heck...

Top 5 Favorite Winners

01. Love Shine a Light - Katrina & the Waves (1997)
02. Ne Partez Pas Sans Moi - Celine Dion (1988)
03. Nocturne - Secret Garden (1995)
04. J’Aime La Vie - Sandra Kim (1986)
05. The Voice - Eimear Quinn (1996)

Top 6 Favorite Non-Winners

01. Kaelakee Hääl - Maarja-Liis Ilus & Ivo Linna (1996, 5th)
02. Eres Tu - Mocedades (1973, 2nd)
03. Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu  (AKA Volare) - Domenico Modugno (1958, 3rd)
04. I Treni Di Tozeur - Alice e Battiato (1984, 5th)
05. L’Amour Est Bleu - Vicky Leandros (1967, 4th)
06. Where Are You - Imaani (1998, 2nd)

Top 5 Favorite Dutch Entries

01. Ik Hou Van Jou - Maribelle (1984, 13th)
02. Hemel En Aarde - Edsilia (1998, 4th)
03. Ding-a-Dong - Teach In (1975, 1st)
04. I See A Star - Mouth & MacNeal (1974, 3rd)
05. Hmmm, yes…Only four.

Top 5 WTF?!?

01. Email To Berlin - Double Date (Dutch preliminaries, 1999) Absolutely cringeworthy…
      Thank goodness, this was only a preliminary. Think of the letdown when this was to happen live during the ESC…
02. Cry Baby - Jemini (2003, 26th/last) …Yep, zero points.
03. Iemand Als Jij - Barbara (1993, 25th/last)
      It’s not so much the song, but for crying out loud…the girl is 19!!! :o She got 3 consolation points.
04. Nuku Pommiin - Kojo (1982, 18th/last)
      Rule #1 for the ESC: no politics…Again, zero points.
05. We Are The Winners - LT United (2006, 6th)
      You can’t do that on television…or can you?

Top 5 Most Overrated Winners (Just my humble opinion)

01. Rock Me Baby - Riva (1989) (Sorry about the poor quality)
02. Rock ‘n’ Roll Kids - Paul Harrington & McGettigan (1994)
03. I Wanna - Marie N (2002)
04. Everybody - Dave & Tanel (2001)
05. Fly On The Wings Of Love - Olsen Brothers (2000)

Subject: Re: "We Are The Winners" - The ESC as I see it

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/08 at 6:19 pm

I wish the ESC was boadcast over here.  I've always wanted to see it

I like some of the ones in the 80s that I've stumbled upon over the years: 'One Step Further' by Bardo, 'Making Your Mind Up' by Bucks Fizz and 'I'm Never Giving Up' by Sweet Dreams

Written By: Henk on 05/22/08 at 12:29 am

You can still watch it on your computer. :) Here's a link to the ESCToday site, where you can watch both the second semi final (today, 21:00 CET) and the final (Saturday, 21:00 CET) online & live.

I like some of the ones in the 80s that I've stumbled upon over the years: 'One Step Further' by Bardo, 'Making Your Mind Up' by Bucks Fizz and 'I'm Never Giving Up' by Sweet Dreams

To be honest, I really don't know Bardo and Sweet Dreams anymore... :-Si La Vie Est Cadeau - Corinne Hermes (Luxembourg)
02. Hi - Ofra Haza (Israel)
03. Främling - Carola (Sweden)
04. Dzuli - Daniel (Yugoslavia)

06. I'm Never Giving up - Sweet Dreams (UK)

and some less successful acts, too:
18. Rendez-Vous - Pas de Deux (Belgium) (ahead of their time..?)
19. Quién Maneja Mi Barca - Remedios Amaya (Portugal) (Yes, well, it's very...Portugese)

Written By: Henk on 05/22/08 at 4:25 pm

You can still watch it on your computer. :) Here's a link to the ESCToday site, where you can watch both the second semi final (today, 21:00 CET) and the final (Saturday, 21:00 CET) online & live.

You'll have to install an additional plug-in to watch it, as I found out. Bummer.

1983 was quite a good year, come to think of it. I think my interest for the ESC started about that time.
01. Si La Vie Est Cadeau - Corinne Hermes (Luxembourg)
02. Hi - Ofra Haza (Israel)
03. Främling - Carola (Sweden)
04. Dzuli - Daniel (Yugoslavia)

06. I'm Never Giving up - Sweet Dreams (UK)

and some less successful acts, too:
18. Rendez-Vous - Pas de Deux (Belgium) (ahead of their time..?)
19. Quién Maneja Mi Barca - Remedios Amaya (Portugal) (Yes, well, it's very...Portugese)

Both numbers 3 and 4 in that year's contest turned into Top 10 hits over here. Carola also recorded her song in English ("Love Isn't Love") and Dutch ("Je Ogen Hebben Geen Geheimen") and made it to #7. Daniel did even better: his English version ("Julie") reached #3.
Corinne Hermes only made it to #19... :-\\

It took Ofra Haza another 5 years to make it to Dutch Top 40, though not with this song. In 1988, she reached #27 with "Im Nin' Alu". She died in 2000, btw. :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/08 at 4:44 pm

It took Ofra Haza another 5 years to make it to Dutch Top 40, though not with this song. In 1988, she reached #27 with "Im Nin' Alu". She died in 2000, btw. :\'(

I always thought 'Im Nin Alu' was one of the weirdest songs ever.  I first heard it on one of those UK 'Hits' albums, but I don't remember which volume it was

Written By: Henk on 05/22/08 at 4:47 pm

Now that the two semi-finals are finished, we know what countries still have a chance to win this year's contest. I'm afraid The Netherlands is not among them anymore... :\'( For the fourth consecutive time we got stuck in the semis.

These countries are still in:

Serbia (of course, after winning the 2007 edition with "Molitva")
UK (because they always get to play)
Spain (ditto)
Germany (ditto)
France (ditto)

and from the semis:

Georgia
Croatia
Denmark
Portugal
Ukraine
Iceland
Latvia
Albania
Sweden
Turkey
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Finland
Greece
Israel
Norway
Poland
Russia
Romania

Written By: Henk on 05/22/08 at 4:50 pm

And then there's the Eurovision site... maybe that'll work better for you. Both sites may be getting (over)crowded next Saturday, I'm afraid.

Written By: Henk on 05/22/08 at 4:58 pm

I always thought 'Im Nin Alu' was one of the weirdest songs ever.  I first heard it on one of those UK 'Hits' albums, but I don't remember which volume it was

Of course, the 1988 version is a remix. The original version is much, much older. I know she recorded the song in the 1970's, but I think others may have done it before her.
Samples of the remix were used in "Paid In Full" and "Pump Up The Volume", as you may know.

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/08 at 5:02 pm

I will try and tune in to Eurovision if I can

Of course, the 1988 version is a remix. The original version is much, much older. I know she recorded the song in the 1970's, but I think others may have done it before her.
Samples of the remix were used in "Paid In Full" and "Pump Up The Volume", as you may know.

Paid in Full by Eric B. and Rakim?
I didn't know about either actually. I didn't even know the song was around long before 88.  The original isn't bad

Written By: Paul on 05/22/08 at 5:04 pm

Now that the two semi-finals are finished, we know what countries still have a chance to win this year's contest. I'm afraid The Netherlands is not among them anymore... :\'( For the fourth consecutive time we got stuck in the semis.

Big shame!  :(

These countries are still in:

UK (because they always get to play)

Only down to the fact that we throw so much money at the dam' thing!

(Hey, I think I've just found out how the EU 'works'!  :D)

This year? We'll be lucky if we reach double figures...it's one of those instantly 'forgettable' songs (so much so, that I can't remember the title or who's singing it!  ;))

Going back to the glory days, it's recently been alleged that Sir Cliff of Richard was cheated in the 1968 contest by some 'suspect' vote rigging orchestrated by none other than Spain's General Franco...

Spain went on to win the contest that year by 1 point!  ::)

Written By: Bobby on 05/22/08 at 8:15 pm

I love 'One step further' by Bardo and 'Making your mind up' by Bucks Fizz (similar type of songs in a way). As for the Eurovision Song Contest, I can't be arsed with it - same shennanigans, different year.

"Cyprus - 12 point"
"Thank you Greece for your votes"

::) ;D

Written By: Henk on 05/23/08 at 12:14 am

I love 'One step further' by Bardo and 'Making your mind up' by Bucks Fizz (similar type of songs in a way). As for the Eurovision Song Contest, I can't be arsed with it - same shennanigans, different year.

"Cyprus - 12 point"
"Thank you Greece for your votes"

::) ;D

That is the usual pattern, yes. But this year, there's no Cyprus... :D

I also predict Turkey getting 12 points from The Netherlands and Germany.

Big shame!  :(

We still don't understand how the game is played nowadays...It's either "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em", or come up with THE ultimate song. We fail to do either.
Compare this (Armenia, starting #14 in the first semi) with this (The Netherlands, starting #15 in the first semi), and it's easy to see why Armenia went on and we didn't.

This year? We'll be lucky if we reach double figures...it's one of those instantly 'forgettable' songs (so much so, that I can't remember the title or who's singing it!  ;))

Even if the sun would refuse to rise in the morning...? ;D

Going back to the glory days, it's recently been alleged that Sir Cliff of Richard was cheated in the 1968 contest by some 'suspect' vote rigging orchestrated by none other than Spain's General Franco...

Spain went on to win the contest that year by 1 point!  ::)

Allegations... I'd like to see some proof. Anyway, Cliff Richard had the bigger hit. :P

Written By: Henk on 05/23/08 at 12:27 am

Paid in Full by Eric B. and Rakim?

Yes, that one.

I didn't know about either actually. I didn't even know the song was around long before 88.  The original isn't bad

Well, it's what it says in my book here, and the book is usually right.

Written By: Paul on 05/23/08 at 1:45 pm

Allegations... I'd like to see some proof. Anyway, Cliff Richard had the bigger hit. :P

Heh! If Spain pull a victory off this year, then some questions do need to be asked!  ;)

Shame that the Irish turkey got stuffed in the semis!  :D

Written By: Henk on 05/24/08 at 3:18 am

Here's the line-up for the final tonight, as well as my predictions.

01. Romania | Nico & Vlad Mirita - Pe-o margine de Luna
        Not among my favorites, but I predict a Top 10 spot.
02. United Kingdom | Andy Abraham - Even If
        Who knows…he might surprise us all. But I don’t think so.
03. Albania | Olta Boka - Zemren e Lamë Peng
        Youngest contestant (only 16) and I wish her the best. Possible Top 10.
04. Germany | No Angels - Disappear
        No. Just nothing to it. Sorry ladies…
05. Armenia | Sirusho - Qele Qele
        One of my favorites. I would be disappointed if this didn’t end up in Top 3, possible even winning.
06. Bosnia & Herzegovina | Laka - Pukosaj
        Well, it’s Bosnia & Herzegovina, so it will get points. Will make Top 10.
07. Israel | Boaz - The Fire In Your Eyes
         I’ve no idea how this got to the final. Does nothing for me.
08. Finland | Teräsbetoni - Missä miehet ratsastaa
        More hard rock from Finland. It might just work a second time.
09. Croatia | Kraljevi Ulice & 75 Cents -Romanca
        And now for something completely different… Top 5?
10. Poland | Isis Gee - For Life
        Not my kind of song, not my kind of girl…I don’t see this end up in Top 10.
11. Iceland | Euroband - This Is My Life
        Sometimes a mediocre song (with a stellar performance) can turn out a favorite. This is one of those songs.
12. Turkey | Mor ve Ötesi - Deli
        Not what we’re used to get from Turkey. Still, 12 points from Germany and The Netherlands…
13. Portugal | Vânia Fernandes - Senhora do Mar
        It would be great to see Portugal winning the contest. This is a serious attempt (one of my favorites). Must be Top 5, if not Top 3.
14. Latvia | Pirates of  the Sea - Wolves Of The Sea
        The only act with a gimmick that made the final. Not likely to end in Top 10.
15. Sweden | Charlotte Perrelli - Hero
       I wasn’t a fan back then (1999, when she won) and am not a fan now.  Not a favorite in my book.
16. Denmark | Simon Mathew - All Night Long
        Not on the lists of favorites, I believe…but Denmark could be pulling of a stunt. Easy and catchy.
17. Georgia | Diana Gurtskaya - Peace Will Come
        Another song that I don’t understand the appeal of.
18. Ukraine | Ani Lorak - Shady Lady
        Everything is right about this song and the performance. Possible winner.
19. France | Sebastien Tellier - Divine
        Well, it’s certainly different. No idea how this is gonna do in the final. Probably not very well.
20. Azerbaijan | Elnur & Samir - Day After Day
        Please no…terrible! This must be one of the worst entries.
21. Greece | Kalomira - Secret Combination
        This will work (once again), because it always does. Top 10 (though I don’t particularly like it).
22. Spain | Rodolfo Chikilicuatre - Baila El Chiki Chiki
        And you thought the Cheeky Girls were da bomb?! Baila El Chiki Chiki!! (Dead last, btw)
23. Serbia | Jelena Tomašević - Oro
        Very clever song, this one. Very compelling, too. Must be Top 5.
24. Russia | Dima Bilan - Believe
        Production by Timbaland, so what could go wrong? Well, the vocals suck, for one. Still, it will make Top 5.
25. Norway | Maria - Hold On, Be Strong
         Very lucky to be last in the final, else this would go totally unnoticed. Now she may end up in Top 10.

So these are my predictions for the Top 5:
Armenia
Ukraine
Russia
Portugal
Serbia

...but watch out for Iceland, Denmark and Norway, too.

Subject: Re: "We Are The Winners" - The ESC Past and Present

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/08 at 4:39 am

Heh! If Spain pull a victory off this year, then some questions do need to be asked!  ;)

Shame that the Irish turkey got stuffed in the semis!  :D
I have seen the Spanish entry online and I agree with you.

I am rooting for Portugal.

Written By: Paul on 05/24/08 at 11:01 am

02. United Kingdom | Andy Abraham - Even If

Oh dear...second in the draw!

The eminently 'forgettable' song will be even, er...more forgotten by the time the voting comes up!

If you're fortunate to be near the end, the performances may just stick in the juries' minds...

22. Spain | Rodolfo Chikilicuatre - Baila El Chiki Chiki

Er...don't say I didn't warn you!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/08 at 3:47 pm

Oh dear...second in the draw!

The eminently 'forgettable' song will be even, er...more forgotten by the time the voting comes up!

If you're fortunate to be near the end, the performances may just stick in the juries' minds...
My son said, that only time the UK entry will be at the top of the table.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/08 at 5:15 pm

UK finishes at =23 with Germany and Poland on 14 points.

Written By: Henk on 05/24/08 at 5:19 pm

UK finishes at =23 with Germany and Poland on 14 points.

As was to be expected.

Russia has won. Was it the best song? No. Was it the best performance? No - not even close. So why did it win?  :-\\

Portugal didn't do as well as I expected. :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/08 at 5:22 pm

As was to be expected.

Russia has won. Was it the best song? No. Was it the best performance? No - not even close. So why did it win?  :-\\

Portugal didn't do as well as I expected. :\'(
As for the voting it is the same story every year, all the countries ending in 'ia' all keep together.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/08 at 5:24 pm

As for the voting it is the same story every year, all the countries ending in 'ia' all keep together.
Idea?

If the UK changed our name to Britannia would we stand a better chance in winning?

Written By: Henk on 05/24/08 at 5:24 pm

So these are my predictions for the Top 5:
Armenia
Ukraine
Russia
Portugal
Serbia

...but watch out for Iceland, Denmark and Norway, too.

Let's see... Russia ended up at #1, in front of Ukraine and Greece. I believe Armenia, Serbia and Norway all ended in Top 10 as well.

I've done better predictions in the past.

Written By: Henk on 05/25/08 at 1:40 am

The Top 10:

01. Russia
02. Ukraine
03. Greece
04. Armenia
05. Norway
06. Serbia
07. Turkey
08. Azerbaijan (well, at least they didn't win...)
09. Israel
10. Bosnia & Herzegovina

Romania got stuck at #20, Albania made it to #17, Croatia only got to #21, Iceland reached #14, and sadly Portugal only got to #13...so much for my predictions!

On the other hand...I was kinda right about Spain (tho' not dead last, as I predicted), France, UK, Germany, Sweden and Poland. :-\\

And results from the Semi Finals show that The Netherlands ended 13th in the first semi (even behind Slovenia and Moldova).
In the second semi, F.Y.R. of Macedonia ended in 10th place, but didn't get through to the final because of the back-up jury voting. Instead, Sweden got through (and we all know how that ended...). Some Macedonians will be very p*ssed (and rightfully so).

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/08 at 1:44 am

I found the announcer of the Swedish voting very amusing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/08 at 10:23 am

Sir Terry Wogan said he may quit as the BBC's Eurovision commentator, as the UK entry sung by former X Factor finalist Andy Abraham finished in last place.

Written By: Paul on 05/25/08 at 11:27 am

Sir Terry Wogan said he may quit as the BBC's Eurovision commentator, as the UK entry sung by former X Factor finalist Andy Abraham finished in last place.

'Sour grapes' from the Telmeister, or is he getting a little long in the tooth for all of this?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/08 at 11:32 am

'Sour grapes' from the Telmeister, or is he getting a little long in the tooth for all of this?
He will have to speak out on his own raido show.

Written By: Henk on 05/25/08 at 12:02 pm

He will have to speak out on his own raido show.

He only said he MAY quit, right? So when push comes to shove...

BTW: I think none of the four "big spenders" would have survived the semi finals, had they had to participate. Which tells us just how clueless we are at the moment.

UK only got points from Ireland and San Marino - but both countries would have been in the other semi final (so possibly zero points for UK).

France got points from Ireland, Spain, UK, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Estonia, Letland, Lithuania, Poland, Andorra and Armenia.
Only four of these countries would have been in the same semi final as France, which would have meant elimination for France.

Germany got points from Switzerland and Bulgaria.
Again, both countries would have been in the other semi final.

Spain got points from France, UK, Denmark, Switzerland, Belgium, Cyprus, Turkey, Greece, Portugal, Finland, Albania, Andorra and Armenia.
Only Belgium, Greece, Finland, Andorra and Armenia would have been in the same semi final. Not enough to help Spain through, I'm afraid.

Of course, all four countries would inevitably have gathered some spare points from other countries, but I don't think it would have been enough in the end.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/08 at 2:33 am

So will there be a complete shake up next year?

Written By: Henk on 06/05/08 at 2:07 pm

So will there be a complete shake up next year?

I don't expect any major changes, Philip. Another Eastern European country will win next year, I think. And we've only got ourselves to blame - unless...we come up with the Ultimate Eurovision Song (another Love Shine a Light).
I also think it is clear that we should focus more on show, if we don't have that ultimate song (it never hurt Bucks Fizz or Abba).

Check for new replies or respond here...