» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: If you picked the Oscars ...

Written By: whistledog on 06/01/08 at 10:01 pm

Have you ever seen a movie, and thought an actor or actress in that movie deserved an Academy Award Nomination?  Who would you vote for Oscars in films past and/or present?

A few choices for me ...

♦ James Remar in '48 Hrs.' (1982)
- If only they gave Oscars to villains.  Ganz was a cold blooded killer, and to me still the greatest villainous role in the history of film

♦ Jack Nicholson in 'Batman' (1989)
- Ah The Joker!  He did receive a Golden Globe nomination, but Oscar never came calling.  In the role Nicholson was born to play, he definately deserved an Oscar

♦ Peter O'Toole in 'King Ralph' (1991)
- The way he instructed Ralph on how to be a King made you actually believe he was Secretary to the King

♦ John Malkovich in 'Con-Air' (1997)
- Cyrus "The Virus" Grissom.  He wasn't your typical maniac killer.  He was quite sarcastic.  A fantastic performance!

♦ David Suchet in 'Executive Decision' (1997)
- I don't think an actor would ever win an Award for playing a terrorist, but holy crap when I watch this movie, I am convinced he actually is a terrorist.  If that's not great acting, then I don't know what is!

♦ Colin Firth in 'What A Girl Wants' (2003)
- A British politician tries to be a father to the daughter he never knew he had while keeping it separate from his high profile political career.  Mr. Firth did a fantastic job!

And last but not least, Ray Liotta for his crazy, violent, psychopathic roles in 'Something Wild' (1986), 'Unlawful Entry' (1991) and 'Wild Hogs' (2007).  The man was born to play a crazy psychopath and he does it very well!

Subject: Re: If you picked the Oscars ...

Written By: woops on 06/01/08 at 10:12 pm

For animated shorts:

Bob Clampett cartoons, which non of the Looney Tunes he directed were ever nominated.

"Great Piggy Bank Robbery", "Big Snooze", "A Corny Concerto", "Porky In Wackyland",  are among the best that should've been nominated

Speaking of "Great Piggy Bank Robbery", Daffy Duck cartoons were also never nominated. "Duck Amuck", "Plane Daffy", "Daffy Duck & Egghead", and even "Duck Dodgers of the 24 1/2 Century" are great classics that were never nominated

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/02/08 at 9:59 pm

Howard Stern ~ For his role in Private Parts.  For a "Shock Jock" he was very funny in this, especially the scene with the woman on the speaker...Bobba Bouy was also good.

Artie Lange ~ as the gay travel agent in Boat Trip with Cuba Gooding, Jr.
                ~ For his work on his film Beer League that also featured Ralph Machio.

Written By: spoiler on 06/16/08 at 9:32 pm

Spoiler below for 'The Usual Suspects'.  If you've already seen the movie, or are sure you never will, or won't mind watching the movie even though the best part has already been spoiled for you, then run your mouse over the text in the quote boxes below in order to read it.

- If only they gave Oscars to villains.

what about Kevin Spacey in 'The Usual Suspects'?

Written By: danootaandme on 06/22/08 at 6:37 am

Oprah Winfrey in the The Color Purple.  She gave a magnificent portrayal.  The movie garnered the most nominations in Oscar history (eleven) to not win any.

Check for new replies or respond here...