» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Things you used to like back in the day, but not anymore...

Written By: woops on 06/11/08 at 5:38 pm

Is there something from the past you don't like anymore? Like a certain film, genre or music/artist, hobbie, etc.

I used to watch repeats of old sitcoms from the 1960's & 1970's like "Bewitched" & "Brady Bunch", but now find the majority too corny for my taste.

"Power Rangers"

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"

most cartoons that are either toy infomercials, overly preachy, and/or too childish (though haven't watched many for ages... only a few stood the test of time like "Tiny Toon Adventures" & "Ren & Stimpy")

pogs

MTV (unfortunately it was starting to  decline by the time I was in my teens in 1997/1998)

Pauly Shore movies, I now find his films annoying

The Simpsons... don't really watch it anymore and can't believe that it's still on the air

As for my musical taste, it haven't changed that much in the past decade. Though I don't listen to much alternative anymore. Sometimes, but not a lot.

Subject: Re: Things you used to like back in the day, but not anymore...

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/11/08 at 6:57 pm

I grow increasingly weary of the music of Billy Joel.  There are certain songs (like Captain Jack and The Ballad of Billy the Kid) that actually make me cringe.

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/11/08 at 7:27 pm

I used to listen to a lot of heavy metal in my preteen years. I don't hate it, and there are still songs that I love, but I can't listen to it for long periods of time anymore. I guess you can say I kind of outgrew it.

Written By: whistledog on 06/11/08 at 8:36 pm

Baseball Cards.  I used to be a BIG collector, but now I just don't care for them.  Y'know though. Basebal Cards aren't really as BIG as they used to be.  They are so expensive now, no one can afford them LOL

Written By: nally on 06/11/08 at 8:45 pm

Baseball Cards.  I used to be a BIG collector, but now I just don't care for them.  Y'know though. Basebal Cards aren't really as BIG as they used to be.  They are so expensive now, no one can afford them LOL

I've been collecting 'em since I was 7, and right now I have over 7,000 of 'em. In the mid-90's they really began to go up in value, so I wasn't buying any "current" cards anymore. I was just trying to complete the sets of older cards.

However, last year, I happened to be in a Sports Authority store with my parents, and I came across a trading cards display...so I figured, what the heck. So I bought a pack of 2007 Topps cards; it was my first time in 12 years buying some "current" bb cards.

Sometime not too long after that, I decided to purchase a complete set of 2006 Topps cards (there were supposed to be 660 of those, but card #297 was recalled from the set because there were issues with the player depicted on it...but there was a pack of 5 "bonus" cards in the box, which more than made up for the difference). The set was worth $58, but I had a $100 bill with me so I decided to break it. Besides, I figured it would be worth it to have some of the current players on the baseball scene.

I keep all my cards stored in albums, so that they improve in value. It's kinda hard to say what the most expensive card I have is.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/11/08 at 9:01 pm

I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE Slim Jims...but alas, I don't eat meat anymore...so no more Slim Jims for me! ;D

Written By: whistledog on 06/11/08 at 9:18 pm

I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE Slim Jims...but alas, I don't eat meat anymore...so no more Slim Jims for me! ;D

"SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM!"

http://www.superluchas.net/wp-content/uploads/macho-man-randy-savage.JPG

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/11/08 at 10:24 pm

The Simpsons... don't really watch it anymore and can't believe that it's still on the air

Still one of the most popular shows on TV, and the fact that you can see it at 2 or 3 different times on 2 or 3 different channels EVERY day here, proves that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/08 at 12:55 am

My sister and I in our teens called tacky or repulsive things: "raspy."

Some things would get a "High Rasp-O-Meter reading" if they were reveaked to be truly disgusting...or John Waters-level tacky.

Later, simply "a reading," as in:

Hey, that supermarket manager was cute!
Let me tell you, he smokes Tipparillos and throws the butts on the floor.
Ewwww, I can get a reading off of that!

This terminology never made it farther than among a small circle of friends and us.  And there was a bunch more of it culled from John Waters, like "ra-sha-sha," which is cheesy while trying to be chic (think Barry Manilow at a cocktail lounge).  Origin: "Franceeen, you look so ra-sha-sha!
-Cuddles to Francine (as played by Edith Massey and Divine respectively) in "Polyester"

Or
"Eeedy--heedy--scmeedy" (Edith Massey again playing "Edie" in "Pink Flamingos.  Only for us it came to mean, "big deal, so what, who cares."
8)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/12/08 at 10:32 pm

Same here, except with Football and Basketball cards in addition to Baseball. I was an avid collector of all three when that was still a pretty big fad in the early and mid '90s. I'm pretty sure I had already gotten about close to 1,000 cards before I turned 10, but I haven't gotten a single pack in probably about 11 or 12 years.

Written By: tv on 06/17/08 at 9:03 pm

Yeah I used to collect baseball cards too but don;t anymore.

Don't watch MTV very much anymore.

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/17/08 at 10:46 pm

Yeah MTV had turned into empty t.v.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/08 at 9:47 pm

Hard candy.

I used to love it when I was a kid, now it just crunches like the dentist bills skyrocketing!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif

Written By: whistledog on 06/18/08 at 11:37 pm

Hard candy.

I used to love it when I was a kid, now it just crunches like the dentist bills skyrocketing!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif

Hell to the yeah!  I spent almost a life savings on my teeth thanks to the hard candies I ate as a kid, and my mouth still won't ever be back to normal.  "Jaws" from the James Bond films has a better smile than I do ;D

Written By: nally on 06/19/08 at 10:30 am

Yeah I used to collect baseball cards too but don;t anymore.

I still collect 'em. I think it's good to collect things. :)

Don't watch MTV very much anymore.

Yeah MTV had turned into empty t.v.

LOL...good one! ;D I never watched it in its heyday, mostly because we didn't have cable when I was growing up.

Written By: tv on 06/19/08 at 12:16 pm

LOL...good one! ;D I never watched it in its heyday, mostly because we didn't have cable when I was growing up.
Yeah I never watched it in its heyday either(the 80's) except for 1997-1998 but by 1999 it became crappy.

Written By: woops on 06/19/08 at 12:20 pm

Agree that Moronic TV went downhill in the later 1990's, though that's when I started watching  :P

"TRL", never liked it and suprised it's still on

Though I used to like VH1 until some years ago

Written By: nally on 06/19/08 at 5:39 pm

Yeah I never watched it in its heyday either(the 80's) except for 1997-1998 but by 1999 it became crappy.

Around that time, I began watching it, either at someone's house, or at a hotel. It wasn't too good around then anyway... but VH1 still had some good shows on at the time.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/08 at 6:57 pm

Hell to the yeah!  I spent almost a life savings on my teeth thanks to the hard candies I ate as a kid, and my mouth still won't ever be back to normal.  "Jaws" from the James Bond films has a better smile than I do ;D

Am I still paying for the Gobstoppers I masticated in 1980?
:o

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/08 at 7:54 pm

I knew a guy who collected belly button lint ;D

Am I still paying for the Gobstoppers I masticated in 1980?
:o

Some people spend a lifetime with bad teeth due to the candy they ate as a kid

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/19/08 at 8:32 pm

Getting trashed with my friends.

Written By: tv on 06/21/08 at 10:30 am

Agree that Moronic TV went downhill in the later 1990's, though that's when I started watching  :P

"TRL", never liked it and suprised it's still on

Though I used to like VH1 until some years ago
Yeah I used to VH1 alot too, I still watch it a little bit and VH1 classic I catch sometimes.

On "TRL" I don;t think its popularity is anywhere near its 1999-2000 popularity when teen-pop was huge.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/08 at 6:24 pm

Looking Goth.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/21/08 at 7:17 pm

I was at a Black Sabbath concert in '78 or '79, it was the last tour with Ozzy as frontman. The opening act
for the show was an unknown band named Van Halen. A friend bought Van Halen's album and we were blown
away. Now, I can't tolerate a single note from Van Halen. I have no idea what I was thinking when I was younger.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/21/08 at 7:27 pm

Good question. I've always been pretty "timeless" and stuck with anything I liked, and if I've ever changed it's usually been with accepting or getting into new things. I haven't gone the other way much, but let's see...

-I don't like Home Improvement much anymore, and it was one of my favorite shows in late middle/early high school around 1996 and '97. I think it's just because Tim seems like a chauvenist jerk, that kinda ruined some of my enjoyment.

-I used to be more into video games during my childhood and even to a lesser extent, my teen years. I like the old-school ones still (like pre-1995) but even those it's like I've played them so much it's not the same anymore.

-Drawing or coloring. I actually miss doing that, and I kinda stopped after I was about 13 just from a combination of getting busier and getting the Internet not long later.

-A few songs I just heard so much that it kinda took the initial novelty out of them. I mean '80s pop standards like "Everybody Have Fun Tonight", although I still do like them.

I'll think of more later.

Written By: Brian06 on 06/22/08 at 3:11 pm

Same here, except with Football and Basketball cards in addition to Baseball. I was an avid collector of all three when that was still a pretty big fad in the early and mid '90s. I'm pretty sure I had already gotten about close to 1,000 cards before I turned 10, but I haven't gotten a single pack in probably about 11 or 12 years.

Yeah I still have a ton of baseball cards I collected back from like 1992 - 1996 maybe. I also collected coins back in the mid '90s, I still have my 1994 coin value book.

Written By: whistledog on 06/22/08 at 4:36 pm

Another one for me is Video Games.  It's not that I don't like them anymore, I just haven't regularly played them in a long time.  Since the introduction of life like graphics, I just haven't been interested in owning a PS3 or any of these new fangled systems

I do play my old Atari 7800 on occasion though ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/23/08 at 1:07 am

I was at a Black Sabbath concert in '78 or '79, it was the last tour with Ozzy as frontman. The opening act
for the show was an unknown band named Van Halen. A friend bought Van Halen's album and we were blown
away. Now, I can't tolerate a single note from Van Halen. I have no idea what I was thinking when I was younger.

VH was a middleweight hard rock band that figured out the value of showmanship.  Their music hasn't stood the test of time.  I did like some of their songs, though.

I will always resent Van Halen for one thing:  I got called "Waldo" all through the ninth grade!
"Sit down, Waldo!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nopity.gif

My handle on YouTube is "SweetSweetWaldo"!

I gotta admit, I was anxious little fella with big Coke bottle glasses, though I don't wear glasses anymore.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/23/08 at 1:27 pm

Getting trashed with my friends.

I discovered the less people I have to deal with when trashed the better.  Can't stand clubs.

I prefer a six pack of Corona, old movies and a peaceful Saturday night.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/23/08 at 1:32 pm

I hate over sized earrings.  I wore them almost everyday.  Can't recall how many times I almost ripped an ear off. :P

Written By: ninny on 06/23/08 at 2:02 pm

Yeah I still have a ton of baseball cards I collected back from like 1992 - 1996 maybe. I also collected coins back in the mid '90s, I still have my 1994 coin value book.

I had baseball cards from 1974-1978 and they were in good condition,until 2 years ago when the roof of the apartment we lived in leaked,we had them stored in a filing cabinet and it rusted and ruined 85% of the cards >:(

Written By: nally on 06/23/08 at 3:27 pm

Most of my bb cards are from 1987-93, with a few from the mid-90s. I also have about 700 duplicates, most of which are from 1987 Topps, and I've been trying to give those away.

I have a coin collection too, mostly consisting of old pennies (up through the 1950's or thereabouts, the back simply had the words "ONE CENT" engraved on the back, rather than the Lincoln Memorial).

Written By: nally on 06/23/08 at 3:31 pm

I had baseball cards from 1974-1978 and they were in good condition,until 2 years ago when the roof of the apartment we lived in leaked,we had them stored in a filing cabinet and it rusted and ruined 85% of the cards >:(

that sucks :(

I keep my cards protected in albums...they have plastic pages designed to hold cards; it keeps them nicely protected.

Written By: Davester on 06/23/08 at 5:12 pm

My sister and I in our teens called tacky or repulsive things: "raspy."

Some things would get a "High Rasp-O-Meter reading" if they were reveaked to be truly disgusting...or John Waters-level tacky.

Later, simply "a reading," as in:

Hey, that supermarket manager was cute!
Let me tell you, he smokes Tipparillos and throws the butts on the floor.
Ewwww, I can get a reading off of that!

This terminology never made it farther than among a small circle of friends and us.  And there was a bunch more of it culled from John Waters, like "ra-sha-sha," which is cheesy while trying to be chic (think Barry Manilow at a cocktail lounge).  Origin: "Franceeen, you look so ra-sha-sha!
-Cuddles to Francine (as played by Edith Massey and Divine respectively) in "Polyester"

Or
"Eeedy--heedy--scmeedy" (Edith Massey again playing "Edie" in "Pink Flamingos.  Only for us it came to mean, "big deal, so what, who cares."
8)

Anyone who enjoys Sucidal Tendencies is pretty raspy in my book...

Including myself...

Written By: Davester on 06/24/08 at 12:39 am

I don't collect baseball cards anymore, either, but it sure was fun...

Also, we lived by this steep hill when I was a kid and we would climb to the top and slide down it on our butts, all the way to the bottom.  I don't like doing that anymore...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/08 at 8:24 pm

Anyone who enjoys Sucidal Tendencies is pretty raspy in my book...

Including myself...

I'll always be a fan of "Institutionalized," but that's pretty much it!
::)

Written By: nally on 09/13/08 at 6:43 pm

I'll always be a fan of "Institutionalized," but that's pretty much it!
::)

For the most part, I don't really much care for that record, but when I hear it come on the radio, I have an urge to wanna listen to it anyway.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/15/08 at 2:18 am

VH was a middleweight hard rock band that figured out the value of showmanship.  Their music hasn't stood the test of time.  I did like some of their songs, though.

I will always resent Van Halen for one thing:  I got called "Waldo" all through the ninth grade!
"Sit down, Waldo!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nopity.gif

My handle on YouTube is "SweetSweetWaldo"!

I gotta admit, I was anxious little fella with big Coke bottle glasses, though I don't wear glasses anymore.
LMAO!!!

I also wore big glasses when I was in junior high, and my friend Murf used to call me "Waldo" too!  ;D

Anyway, I used to like "CHiPs" when I was a kid, until one day I suddenly realized how insulting it was to my intelligence.  :P

Written By: whistledog on 09/16/08 at 2:20 am

I used to like Seinfeld when it was a popular show with new episodes in Primetime, but the more I watch the episodes, I wonder what I ever saw in the show to begin with.  It's just so stupid, I can't watch anymore

And what pisses me off is that you can find like 6 different episodes per day on various channels.  Where's all the good shows in reruns?

Written By: woops on 12/20/08 at 1:11 pm

Some reason, I'm not much into superheroes (ie cartoons, movies, comic books, action figures)

Check for new replies or respond here...