» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Kids' shows or movies that are more "general audience" based?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/21/08 at 7:07 pm

I watched Sesame Street in the morning in the late '80s quite a bit (and occasionally as I've gotten older too lol) and this got me thinking about how it's one of those things where, even if it's technically a "kids' show" it's general enough for adults and teenagers to enjoy it too.

That was always my favorite type of kids' stuff (even when I was one, and especially as I got older), say like with Disney movies in the first half of the '90s (i.e. Honey I Shrunk/Blew Up the Kid, Homeward Bound) because I liked the fairytale adventure aspects, but it was also cool and smart enough to appeal to the more mature side of me, I guess.

Subject: Re: Kids' shows or movies that are more "general audience" based?

Written By: woops on 06/21/08 at 8:46 pm

"Ren & Stimpy", "Rocko's Modern Life", and "The Mighty B!"

Even that sea sponge appeals to most kids & adults, but can't stand it  :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/22/08 at 12:37 am

I love kid's stuff..you know me! I use Vaughn as an excuse just to be able to watch cartoons, kid's movies, read kid's books, etc. It's all good. ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 06/22/08 at 6:41 am

Between the Lions  is a great  double entendre show that makes me laugh all the time.  ;D

Written By: Gis on 06/22/08 at 1:36 pm

Spongebob, Scooby Doo and Danger Mouse.

Written By: ?????????????????????? on 06/22/08 at 6:28 pm

Pixar Movies

Written By: woops on 05/02/09 at 1:19 pm

Same could be apply to comic books since it's not just for kids...

Disney Comics actually have good storytelling with it's sense of adventures featuring Donald Duck, Scrooge McDuck, etc. that were first crafted by Carl Barks.

There's actually some good artwork, stories, and pop culture referances on the "Looney Tunes" comics from DC. Like the J Lo dress a female rabbit wore during a beauty pagent in a 2001 issue I recentloy bought. (Still not fond of Lola Bunny, though actually a good story).

source

I found an interesting article on a dorky looking comic book, which I was curious to find reviews since the title character looks more like the kid from the 2009 "Velveteen Rabbit" movie I saw in Target.
http://www.videodetective.com/photos/6030/253271_1.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pScx8BN4h3s/SXXLPOQwpYI/AAAAAAAACZk/1tyLVtjByRQ/s320/cosmic+2+ice+cream.jpg

(enter snarky comments)

Seriously...

Just to show that you really can't judge a book by it's cover (Not interested in buying though the review's interesting to read)

Though a bit ignorant towards the "All Ages" comment since the author probably would get trashed by Donaldists and the harsh fact that most superhero  comic books were originally intended for kids more than 60 years ago.

Honestly, many of the Superman/Super Girl referances that were pointed out would literally fly over my head if I actually bought a copy...

Thursday, March 5, 2009
Review: Supergirl Cosmic Adventures In The 8th Grade #4

Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade #4 continues to be a phenomenal book that appeals to all ages. Isn't that exactly what an 'All Ages' book is supposed to do?

As I have said before on this blog, writing Supergirl is not an easy task. The writer really needs to juggle all the aspects of Kara that fans like. And how does someone exude strength and confidence, but also be innocent and somewhat fallible? I want to read about a Supergirl who is learning, who knows what to do but sometimes struggles to do it, only to end up victorious.

We see that growth in character here. It is subtle .... but it is there. This isn't the nervous bumbling Kara from the first issues punching through blackboards. But she isn't polished like Superman either.

Anyways, on to the story which introduces us to Streaky while showing some great interaction between Kara, Lena, and Belinda.

The issue starts out with Kara experimenting on the chunk of Kryptonite from the school's mineral collection. She douses it with every chemical she could find in hopes of figuring out a way to stop its deadly radiation.

This scene mirrors one from Action Comics #261, the Silver Age first appearance of Streaky. There, Kara also fails to create an antidote for Kryptonite while working in the orphanage's science lab. I love Jim Mooney's Supergirl.

Sorry for the black and white scans. I don't own the original issue; this is from the Showcase:Supergirl anthology.

In both stories, Kara's hope is that she finds a cure for Kryptonite so she would be able to help Superman in his never-ending battle.

As always, her daydreams stand out as highpoint in this series really capturing Kara's viewpoint and innocence.

Here we see Kara re-imagining herself as 'Moon Supergirl' saving Superman from K-poisoning. 'Moon Supergirl' is pure wishful thinking as she always saves the day. I can't get enough 'Moon Supergirl'.

When someone interrupts Kara's experiments, she needs to hurriedly toss the Kryptonite out the window. As it bounces to the street, it gets further changed by an electric charge from high power wires and then lands in front of a certain orange cat.

As we shall see, this Streaky seems a bit more feisty than the mischievous Silver Age kitty. Here, sniffing X-Kryptonite gives the Silver Age Linda Lee's Streaky temporary powers.

In Cosmic Adventures, the exposure to the altered Kryptonite imbues the cat with powers and he seems to be wreaking havoc on Stanhope Boarding School.

We cut to the school, were we learn that months have passed since Lena and Linda have become friends.

Linda, Lena, and Belinda enter their classroom only to find in deserted, a note on the desk asking them to proceed to the Principal's office. Before they can get started, the lights go out and they hear a scream.

Linda rushes off to the rescue, only to find an abandoned backpack and Streaky standing in the hallway.

It was nice to see Linda act so quickly and heroically. That has been a mainstay in this title, Linda's complete commitment to try to help people and do the right thing.

Unfortunately, she forgets to take off her glasses and is discovered by Lena. The cat is out of the bag (pardon the pun); Lena knows Linda is Supergirl.

Of course, Linda hopes that this revelation won't lead to disaster for their friendship and instead will lead to a super-team.

A couple of things I love about these panels.

First off, I love the dynamic positioning of Lena in the first panel, huge hand practically pointing out of the panel dramatically. It just reminds me of 'Drawing the Marvel Way'.

Next I like the 'Super Best Friends Powers - Activate', a nice little take on the Wonder Twins.

But lastly, I can't remember the last time I saw the Supermobile with the retractable arms!

I can remember thinking the Supermobile was the best thing since the Millenium Falcon when I was growing up. I vividly remember reading these issues as a kid. In this story in Action #481 and beyond, a wave of red sun radiation (from Krypton's explosion no less) bathes the Earth temporarily ridding Superman of his powers. To continue to fight crime, he creates the Supermobile which somehow (I forget) allow him to use his powers if he is in the vehicle but not if he is out of it. But those goofy expandable arms were so cool to me when I was 8. Don't ask me how he wins a battle with Amazo.

Unfortunately, Lena does not have such nice thoughts. She is a Luthor and feels that super-heroes belittle human achievement and need to be destroyed. She also feels a bit betrayed by Linda's duplicity. Lena dons a mini version of Lex's classic battle armor and prepares to fight.

Before the two can throw down though, the mystery of the missing children and Streaky again takes precedence.

Belinda has discovered a tunnel that Streaky has made in front of the Principal's office.

I had to chuckle at the 'Beat Midvale' poster in the background. Old timers know that the original Supergirl lived in the Midvale's orphanage in her early issues of Action Comics.

Entering the tunnel, the three girls discover the students, trapped in a 'psychic energy conversion spectroglobe'. The chamber is labelled 'Headquarters of the Interplanetary Multi-dimensional ...'.

Multi-dimensional? I think that pretty much clinches that Principal Picklemeyer is Mr. Mxyzptlk.

The girls assume that Streaky is behind the whole plot. Lena sees him working on a computer trying to destabilize the whole system.

Look at Kara chastise him. I have to say that this was the first laugh out loud moment for me and the Supergirls at home. As a cat owner, it rang true ... especially Streaky completely ignoring everything being said.

Lena initially tries to shoot Streaky but instead destroys some of the tech in the room making the reactor begin to overload and endangering the children.

As Lena and Supergirl argue about what is the next best step, Belinda gets mauled by Streaky in the background. It is a classic comedy moment ... a serious conversation occuring in the foreground while hilarity happens in the back. This was the second laugh out loud moment for me and the Supergirls.

One thing that is clear from this issue, Lena is unhinged. At first she is reluctant to save her fellow students because if they were weak enough to get captured then they deserve to perish. Supergirl finally convinces her to save the class as a way to prove her superior intellect.

After saving everyone though, Lena confronts Linda with the intent on killing her.

I like how Kara tries to defuse the situation by changing into Linda. Their friendship hasn't been an act by Supergirl; she truly is Lena's friend. Why do they need to fight?

But Lena isn't hearing it. She rants her bile about how superheroes are holding humanity back.

Leave it to Belinda to end the standoff with a well placed finger flick to the head. Belinda claims that she struck a 'memory erasure point' on Lena's head, a claim that Supergirl thinks is a lie. Surprisingly though, when Lena awakens she has no recollection of recent events. She doesn't remember that Linda is Supergirl. She doesn't remember saving the class. She doesn't remember getting into her battle suit.

The three leave the hidden chamber wondering just what the heck was going on down there.

The issue ends with Streaky flying away in a rocket. He gained powers from the X-Kryptonite and his powers continue to grow. Turns out he had nothing to do with the secret chamber. He discovered the evil doings of the staff at Stanhope and tried to foil them.

He also used his new abilities to erase the last hour of memories from all non-Kryptonians. So it wasn't Belinda's little love tap that made Lena forget.

And, he announces that he will take Supergirl as a pet and that he will return to Earth after exploring the universe a bit. Streaky taking Supergirl for a pet and not the other way around. The supergirls at home thought that was hysterical.

Primo Supergirl was happy to hear that Streaky was not involved in the evil doings at the school. In fact, when she read that it was the teachers, she remembered from last issue that the alternate timeline Supergirl tried to say who the Principal really was. Pretty cool to see her start to have a sense of continuity from issue to issue.

As for me, I thought this was another home run. Certainly the 'Easter Eggs' from Supergirl's history are wonderful. I now read these issues with my eyes peeled.

I also think that we are really seeing Linda grow over the course of this mini-series. She doesn't get all wrapped up into Belinda's mind games. She seems pretty confident in her own skin. I like that Landry Walker doesn't hit us over the head with this burgeoning maturity. There is no inner monologue from Kara where she states she feels she has grown up a bit. Instead we see it in her actions.

Things aren't all rosy of course. We see Lena's true colors here and they are kind of scary. Lena's dialogue is a bit lofty for an eighth grader but super-vilains always monologue well.

And, as usual, I think Belinda steals the show with her blase superiority and comedy bits with Streaky.

Another issue of heroics and humor with a maturing and consistently lovable lead character. I hope sales remain high enough for a sequel!

Overall grade: A
Primo Supergirl's overall grade: A..

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/09 at 1:55 pm

Rocky & Bullwinkle.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 05/02/09 at 3:34 pm

Rocky & Bullwinkle.

Cat

My dad's favorites.  My brother had a girl named Natasha when his son was born.  My dad was bummed my brother didn't name him Boris. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/09 at 3:49 pm

My dad's favorites.  My brother had a girl named Natasha when his son was born.  My dad was bummed my brother didn't name him Boris. ;D

One of my dad's favorites too. I knew this couple who I dubbed Boris & Natasha. She was tall, thin with the long stringy hair and he was short and on the heavy side. They would always try all these schemes which never quite worked. It was just too perfect.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Michael C. on 05/03/09 at 9:28 am

I'm sure kids don't get most of the jokes in old LOONEY TUNES.

Written By: woops on 05/03/09 at 12:52 pm

I'm sure kids don't get most of the jokes in old LOONEY TUNES.

There's also hidden pop culture referances to radio shows, products, celebrities, WWII, etc. that would go over many people not familiar with them. Though a few actors like Clark Gable, Groucho Marx, and Humphrey Bogart are still known by most people that aren't film buffs.

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/21/09 at 4:53 pm

Hannah Montana looks like a general audience based kids shows, and even the older zoog Disney shows are older teen and adult friendly (Lizzie McGuire makes me LMAO).  And I can see Jimmy Neutron, Dexters Lab, and the Powerpuff Girls.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/21/09 at 5:10 pm

Animaniacs, if you really understand a few of the punchlines they're quite adult.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/22/09 at 12:06 am

Animaniacs, if you really understand a few of the punchlines they're quite adult.

~flashback to a summer at home during my college years~

Foo's Mom: Foo, why are you watching that kids' show?
Foo: Remember how I grew up on Looney Tunes?  Same deal, it only looks like it's for kids. 

Teacher: Yakko, can you conjugate?
Yakko: Who, me? I’ve never even kissed a girl…
Teacher: No, no, no! Here, I’ll conjugate with you!
Yakko: Goodnight everybody!
Teacher: Let me go to the board and show you.
Yakko: Don’t look!

Foo's Mom:  (Laughing uncontrollably)
Foo:  See, you brung me up right, Mom.

Check for new replies or respond here...