» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Stunt Casting

Written By: snozberries on 07/05/08 at 8:07 pm

I am a sucker for stunt casting.... put two actors together who have a history and I get all weepy and nostalgic.

On Judging Amy Sharon Gless was cast as a long time friend of Maxine's (Tyne Daly) who was brought in to evaluate (ie get cause to fire) Maxine. 

On Any Day Now, Delta Burke was cast to play the adult version of M.E.'s sister (adult ME was played by Annie Potts.... instant mini Designing Women reunion)

Also on Any Day Now. . .  Lorraine Toussaint was cast along with Donaleigh Abernathy and Annie Potts...all three have a Dangerous Minds connection

Lorraine T. played Irene mother of Callie the girl who gets pregnant in the movie and almost drops out.
Donzaleigh A. played Irene in the TV series mother of Callie.... for some reason although the first names stayed the same the last names changed from film to TV
Annie Potts played Louanne Johnson- the role Michelle Pfeiffer had in the film. 
oh and I just realized that William Convers Roberts was in both shows as well.

Some producers use actors over and over - this I know we discussed before...

Simon Mirren of Third Watch and Criminal Minds has given most of the actors from Third Watch guest appearances on Criminal Minds
Nancy  Miller exec producer of Any Day Now has used several of her Any Day Now actors in the Holly Hunter series Saving Grace.

Subject: Re: Stunt Casting

Written By: whistledog on 07/07/08 at 8:25 am

The movie "Hot Shots: Part Deux" makes a funny play on this.  As Charlie Sheen is on the boat, writing in his journal, his thoughts get mixed with the thoughts of Martin Sheen seen on a passing boat (in an obvious "Apocalypse Now" spoof).  When the two spot each other, they stand up, point at each other, and simultaneously yell "I loved you in Wall Street"

Another play on this was best seen in the movie "Maverick".  In the scene where the bank is being robbed, Maverick (played by Mel Gibson) bravely goes to the bank robber, pulls down the bandana covering his face to reveal it's Danny Glover.  The two look at each other like they know one another, before shaking their heads in disbelief: "Nah!"

Ed O'Neil and Ethan Embry appeared together in the re-make TV series "L.A. Dragnet".  The two had first starred together in the 1991 box-office bomb "Dutch"

Ellen Travolta played Scott Baio's mother on both "Happy Days" and "Charles in Charge".  Always thought that was neat

Tom Hanks has two "Happy Days" connections that helped make him a major movie star:
In a 1982 episode, he appeared as a disgruntled former classmate who successfully kicked Fonzie's ass.  This drew the attention of Ron Howard, who cast him in the 1984 movie "Splash"

Penny Marshall had guest starred in a 1982 episode of "Bosom Buddies", and when she came to direct the 1988 movie "Big", she knew Tom Hanks would be perfect for the role as a child inside a grown-up's body.  For his performance in "Big", Tom Hanks received an Academy Award nomination in 1989 for Best Actor

Check for new replies or respond here...