» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Best era for music?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/17/08 at 6:57 pm

Eh, just curious as to what every thinks

Personally, I like the prog rock era  :)

Subject: Re: Best era for music?

Written By: loki 13 on 07/17/08 at 8:38 pm

I'll try this again since the first effort was wiped out by a connection error.

For me the best music ever produced was a 13 year span from 1965 to 1978. Don't get me wrong, some good music
was produced prior to '65 and after '78 but for quality and musicianship, not to mention stage performances, the 13
year span mentioned was the best ever.

Some say that February 3 , 1959 was the day the music died. That is incorrect, the day the music died was
January 1, 1980. After that day even the great bands of the '70s put out a lot of crap. it is like on that day
every band in the world decided to suck.  :P

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/17/08 at 9:26 pm

For me the best music ever produced was a 13 year span from 1965 to 1978.

You stole my thunder!  ;)

Seriously, there's plenty of music I like outside of this time range - but to me, 65-78 is when the best music ever was created. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/17/08 at 11:34 pm

Of course I'm going to say New Wave because I was such an all-consumed New Waver.

The "underground" music scene between 1965 and 1985 was one of the richest periods in pop music.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/18/08 at 12:52 am

60s British Invasion --> Late 60s Psychedelic --> Early 70s Progressive

Written By: mooster on 07/18/08 at 2:14 am

The best era for me, personally, was "Late 70's disco, punk, and rock"....but overall, the years 1964 to 1982.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/18/08 at 3:21 am

The best era for me, personally, was "Late 70's disco, punk, and rock"....but overall, the years 1964 to 1982.

I agree with 1964 as the beginning of my favorite era I can't call it the best era because everyone has different tastes. I'd say it starts on February 9th, 1964 when The Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show and then rock and rolls strongly through 1975 and then it starts to change in 1976 but there are still a few fantastic songs in 76, but a new era, the era of disco is emerging. I do love the BeeGees music and some disco but  1964-1975 is my pick

Written By: Shlarin on 07/18/08 at 1:08 pm

60's and before: Listened too little to judge
70's: C
80's: A+
90's: B-
2000s: A

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/18/08 at 9:14 pm

My favorite era in music spans roughly from 1983 until 1993. Rap, pop, hair metal, early grunge music, new wave, you name it. I love everything from that era. 8)

Written By: Brian06 on 07/18/08 at 9:48 pm

My personal favorite period is alternative, r&b/some hip-hop, general pop from the early to mid '90s to early to mid '00s the most. Aaliyah, SWV, Nirvana, No Doubt, Third Eye Blind, Garbage, Alice In Chains, Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey, Michelle Branch, Alicia Keys, Outkast, Snoop Dogg, RHCP, Incubus, Nine Inch Nails, Nas, etc. I also like Metallica's old stuff.

Favorite years: 1993-2005. I actually generally really liked the first half of this decade with some exceptions.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/08 at 2:24 am

I agree with 1964 as the beginning of my favorite era I can't call it the best era because everyone has different tastes. I'd say it starts on February 9th, 1964 when The Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show and then rock and rolls strongly through 1975 and then it starts to change in 1976 but there are still a few fantastic songs in 76, but a new era, the era of disco is emerging. I do love the BeeGees music and some disco but  1964-1975 is my pick

I can dig it.  That was Frank Zappa's best era until towards the end of his life...1965--1975.  He died in December '93, I remember, and had recently released the Yellow Shark CD with Ensemble Modern.  I was hoping Zappa would focus more on his skills as a composer and arranger with microtonality and electronics.  Then the cancer got him, way too early.  Zappa should have been able to live to 100 like Elliott Carter!

Right now I'm listening to Roger Waters' "Grantchester Meadows."  Umma Gumma was a very new way of presenting music as both a group and soloists.  The Beatles started doing that after Sgt. Pepper, but still mocked up as Beatles records.  That is, there are many wonderful songs on the so-called "White Album" and even on "Let it Be," but they're not cohesive like "Revolver" and "Rubber Soul."
8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/19/08 at 6:53 pm

Just going off that list, I picked new wave/synthpop. But overall there's two eras I like:

1981/82 to the mid '90s is my favorite stuff from personal experience, because that's what I listened to in my little kid and early teenage years. I guess the early MTV generation. Music then seemed to have a good variety and just was catchy and alot of fun, while still being simple and easy to like.

I also like the British Invasion era and was exposed to that growing up, so I consider it my heritage as well. That stuff also was catchy in an innocent way, and I think paved the way for alot of what came after it. The Beatles, Motown and girl groups, even some early classic rock like the Rolling Stones was just great, great stuff. I'd say that spanned 1963/64 through about 1971.

Then again I like a little of everything, it's just that those two are my overall favorite times.

Written By: tv on 07/20/08 at 11:40 am

I would say like 1994-1996/1997 not nessecarily grunge and gangsta rap. You had poppier rock tuff like "Dishwalla", Better Than Ezra, Gin Blossoms, Collective Soul, Sponge and Primitive Radio Gods. You still had grunge stuff like Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, and Soundgarden still around. You also had stuff like Lisa Loeb, Jann Arden, Sara Mclauglin(spelling), Alanis Morisette, Shawn Colvin, Tracy Bonham, Sheryl Crow, and Melissa Etherdige. Pop-Punk like Green Day and The Offspring. In R&B you had stuff like Jade, Brownstone, and TLC, Boy II Men, Montell Jordan, Aaliyah, Monica, Brandy, Tevin Campbell, Mariah Carey, Toni Braxton, and R. Kelly. In 1996 R&B artists who made it big in the late 80's/early 90's made a comeback to the top tier of the charts like Keith Sweat and New Edition. Industrial Rock like Gravity Kills, NIN, and Stabbing Westward. Dance Music like Ace of Base, Corona, Nicki French, La Bouche, No Mercy, Gina G, Quad City DJ's and Crystal Waters. 80's holdovers like U2, REM, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, John Mellencamp, and Depeche Mode were still on the charts during this period too. An 80's band like "The Cure" was still getting airplay on Alternative Rock Radio in the 90's too.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/20/08 at 3:42 pm

I'm more partial to 90s Grunge scene.

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/24/09 at 6:46 am

As far as RnB and hip hop, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/21/09 at 7:00 pm

The late 2000s Lady Gaga/Hilary Duff/Kevin Rudolf electropop era...we got some pretty good stuff lately.

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/21/09 at 7:17 pm

Even though I wasn't old enough to remember it, the late 70s-early 80s will always be my favorite era of music.  :)

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/22/09 at 6:36 am

The early '90s pop, '70s styled R&B and some '90s R&B, and the tween pop about 2004-2005.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/22/09 at 2:04 pm

I like 'em all!

Written By: Frank on 06/22/09 at 5:50 pm

I'll try this again since the first effort was wiped out by a connection error.

For me the best music ever produced was a 13 year span from 1965 to 1978. Don't get me wrong, some good music
was produced prior to '65 and after '78 but for quality and musicianship, not to mention stage performances, the 13
year span mentioned was the best ever.

Some say that February 3 , 1959 was the day the music died. That is incorrect, the day the music died was
January 1, 1980. After that day even the great bands of the '70s put out a lot of crap. it is like on that day
every band in the world decided to suck.  :P

Your post is accurate. Totally agree.
My period within 1965-1878 woudl be from 1967-1971, the best years for music.
Pretty much anything after 1990 totally turns me off and most of it isn't music.

Check for new replies or respond here...