» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Books& Films you haven't seen, but know well enough from parodies and references

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/23/08 at 3:38 pm

I've probably seen a hundred thousand references to the novel 1984 by now, that I can tell you most of the plot, and the key points that have been parodied or referenced in thousands of places.  I've got a copy of the book still sitting unread on my bookshelf.  There must be at least a dozen other works I can think of that fall into the same category:

Rear Window
The Manchurian Candidate
Cool Hand Luke
Easy Rider
The Lion King

I've seen these now, but only after years of seeing them referenced:

Casablanca
Bonnie and Clyde
The Deer Hunter
The Birds
North By Northwest
Gone with the Wind
The Graduate

I saw The Graduate probably 15 years ago now (the others more recently) but only because I'd seen it parodied a thousand times even by that point in my life.  I sought it out precisely for that reason. I remember my senior year in high school my English teacher covered movies at the end of the semester to ride things out (and because as he pointed out, we all watch them and no one ever teaches you even the most basics of the art form).  I was the only student in the classroom who had seen the movie, yet I'm sure everyone in the classroom was familiar with key scenes that have been referenced (such as the "are you trying to seduce me" scene).

Anyone else have examples they'd like to cite?

Subject: Re: Books& Films you haven't seen, but know well enough from parodies and references

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/08 at 3:51 pm

Catch-22
Kramer vs Kramer
Easy Rider (Get your motor runnin'...)
Dr. Stangelove-well, I started to watch this but... :-\\
Citizen Kane
Sunset Boulevard ("I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. Demille.")
Taxi Driver

I'll probably list more later.

Cat

Subject: Re: Books& Films you haven't seen, but know well enough from parodies and references

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/23/08 at 3:55 pm

Catch-22
Kramer vs Kramer
Easy Rider (Get your motor runnin'...)
Dr. Stangelove-well, I started to watch this but... :-\\
Citizen Kane
Taxi Driver

I'll probably list more later.

Cat

Catch-22 I saw in college, otherwise that would have made my list... but all of those are really heavily referenced.

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/08 at 8:34 pm

Scarface.  I never saw the whole movie, but I know it pretty well.  Tony Montana's line "Say hello to my little friend" is legendary!

Scarface also produced one of the best soundtrack hits of the 80s:  'Rush Rush' by Debbie Harry

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/23/08 at 9:23 pm

Zoolander from all of the references and lines that I hear people quote.

Written By: Red Ant on 07/24/08 at 7:04 pm

From parodies:

LOTR
Star Wars
Harry Potter
Titanic

I've never seen LOTR or Titanic and only half of the HP and SW series.

Ant

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/24/08 at 10:09 pm

From parodies:

LOTR
Star Wars
Harry Potter
Titanic

I've never seen LOTR or Titanic and only half of the HP and SW series.

Ant

you're not missing much by skipping Titanic... what long drawn out piece of dreck that was.  no idea why I bothered catching it on cable..

I almost would have preferred if I had stopped after the first LOTR movie... the other two didn't do as much for me.  I think they could have cut a lot of stuff out of those movies and they would have been way more enjoyable for people who aren't hard core LOTR fans.

Written By: Satish on 07/26/08 at 12:44 pm

Citizen Kane

The animated TV series "Tiny Toon Adventures" did parodies of Citizen Kane and Sunset Boulevard back in the early 90s:

"Citizen Max":
http://www.tv.com/tiny-toon-adventures/citizen-max/episode/54155/summary.html?tag=ep_list;ep_title;21

"Sepulveda Boulevard":
http://www.tv.com/tiny-toon-adventures/sepulveda-boulevard/episode/54210/summary.html?tag=ep_list;ep_title;11

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/30/08 at 7:07 pm

Watched Pinky & The Brain tonight, and caught "Mouse of La Mancha" another book I'm familiar with despite having never read it "Man of La Mancha"

Written By: Gis on 07/31/08 at 3:14 am

Never seen The Godfather, Citizen Cane or The Blues Brothers.

Written By: woops on 08/02/08 at 6:23 pm

Star Wars, probably the most parodied and have never seen the film

Subject: Re: Books& Films you haven't seen, but know well enough from parodies and refere

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/02/08 at 10:02 pm

Scarface.  I never saw the whole movie, but I know it pretty well.  Tony Montana's line "Say hello to my little friend" is legendary!

Scarface also produced one of the best soundtrack hits of the 80s:  'Rush Rush' by Debbie Harry

Everyother word in scar face was fu**k, I thought it should have said THE FUC**ing end at the end of the movie

Subject: Re: Books& Films you haven't seen, but know well enough from parodies and refere

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/04/08 at 10:14 am

Everyother word in scar face was fu**k, I thought it should have said THE FUC**ing end at the end of the movie

I just watched Glengarry Glenn Ross the other day, and Susan could overhear it from the next room over and she thought the same thing about that movie near the end.

Strangely enough, both movies have Al Pacino in them. 

And up until last week, Glengarry Glenn Ross was a movie I knew from parodies despite having never seen it.  Alec Baldwin has a fantastic speech in the beginning that is frequently parodied.  And Jack Lemon's character is the model used for Gil on the Simpsons. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/04/08 at 11:19 pm

I just watched Glengarry Glenn Ross the other day, and Susan could overhear it from the next room over and she thought the same thing about that movie near the end.

So she'd probably not appreciate your cranking up of the following two mixes:

Glengarry Glen Ross: Glengarry Mix
Glengarry Glen Ross: Ultimate Abuse Mix

The funny thing is that if anyone in the real estate industry (or behind the underwriting desk of the investment banks, when presented with a pile of CDOs) had been blessed the copper-tin-testicularity to say "These leads are sh*bleep*t.  They couldn't buy a fr*bzzt*ing toaster!  They're broke!  They're deadbeats!", we could have avoided the whole subprime/Alt-A mess and the ensuing damage to the banking system.  Too late now, but it's telling that a movie Glengarry Glen Ross told us everything we really needed to know about the business of mortgage origination.

Written By: Regina on 09/20/08 at 10:23 pm

Catch-22 I saw in college, otherwise that would have made my list... but all of those are really heavily referenced.

Haven't seen it, but know it well...used the term in high school, and the girl I said it to said, "Catch-22?  is that like 69?"
Hmmm...well, lemme think about that...NO!  :D
I knew a lot about Cats before actually having the opportunity to see the musical for free..and it was worth every penny  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...