» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Indirect influences

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/08 at 1:51 am

Are there tv shows (or anything for that matter) you got into, where you weren't interested in it for the content, but because someone you like was in it?

For instance (despite me being into music like I am) I was never too interested in American Idol, but I watch it on and off just 'cause I like Paula lol. Or I went and saw most of Michael J Fox's movies after getting into the BTTFs.

Subject: Re: Indirect influences

Written By: whistledog on 07/31/08 at 2:21 am

♦ I started watching the show 'Weeds' because I always had a thing for Mary Louise Parker, ever since I saw the movie 'Fried Green Tomatoes' in 1991.  I have the first three seasons on DVD

♦ I bought both seasons of 'Dark Angel' on DVD just because of Jessica Alba, and I'd never seen the show when it was on FOX

♦ Originally, I started watching 'Two and A Half Men', not because of Charlie Sheen, or the major comeback role for Jon Cryer, but for Holland Taylor in a recurring role as Charlie and Alan's mother.  I always thought she was a great actress, as I grew up watching her on Bosom Buddies, and a short-lived sitcom in the 90s called 'The Naked Truth' starring Tea Leoni. 

♦ 'The War At Home' starring Michael Rapaport.  It only ran 2 seasons on FOX, but I really loved it, because of Rapaport.  Prior to the show, I'd seen him in many films like 'Metro and 'Cop Land' and I thought he was a great actor, and he certainly pulled off the classic FOX "I love my kids as long as I don't have to do anything" father.  Plus, I recognized the actress who played his wife as the original Carol in the first season of 'Friends'

♦ 'Reba' starring Reba McIntyre.  What drew me to this show was Christopher Rich, the actor who played Reba's ex-husband Brock.  I was flipping channels, and came across it one night, and as soon as I saw him, I recognized him right away from his days as the dimwitted reporter Miller Redfield on 'Murphy Brown'.  Miller Redfield still remains one of my all-time favourite recurring characters on a TV series

Written By: loki 13 on 07/31/08 at 7:12 pm

I will watch movies or shows, regardless of subject matter---except Sex And The City, with the following actors or actresses:

Kim Cattrall
Hilary Swank
Joan Van Ark
Christopher Lambert
Charles Bronson
Nicholas Cage

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/08 at 10:56 pm

I've watched a lot of movies that Johnny Galecki was in....only to see his adorable face for 5 seconds at a time...even if I didn't like the movie...it was worth it!  ;D

I started watching the TV show, The Big Bang Theory...because he stars in it..however, now it is one of my favorite shows (it's flippin' hilarious!). :D

Written By: snozberries on 08/02/08 at 10:34 am

Although I will watch things that actors/actresses I like are in out of curiosity, mostly I like (as I stated in another thread) stunt casting so put two or more people together in something.  For example:

I just learned that Kate Jackson was on Jacklyn Smith's show Sheer Genius. I like Jackie but wasn't interested in the show but I will look for this rerun because I want to see two of the original angels together again.  ;D 

When I first heard about the show Psych(on USA)  I was curious because
1) it was set in Santa Barbara (where I live)
                      and
2) it was centered (sort of) around law enforcement (what I do)

Anyway, in the pilot they got so many things wrong about the location and law enforcement that I started watching the show just to see what else they would get wrong.

I made some enemies on the Psych message board because I'd point every mistake I could find  ;D

I hate to admit it now but we're in season 3 and the show has grown on me. They still make mistakes but a lot less than they used to (I think someone from the show must have read some of my posts...)  and the quirky characters make the show fun.  I still have to over look the fact they are trying to make Canada stand in for Santa Barbara....it just isn't the same- but I enjoy it.

Written By: Bobby on 08/04/08 at 6:09 pm

I watched the films Stripes, Caddyshack and Broken Flowers purely because Bill Murray starred in them.

I watched the films Silver Streak and Stir Crazy purely because Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor starred in them.

Check for new replies or respond here...