» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Do people underestimate secondhand fandom?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/08 at 10:27 pm

In my experience alot of older people really seem to overlook this, which has always been a pet peeve of mine. Like they think you can't know something (or won't like it) if you weren't "totally around" when it was brand new.

Like how I got deeper into the '80s during the '90s, they don't stop to think that maybe it was because of seeing reruns on television, or hearing a song on the radio a few years later (or back in the day on VH1). Even having a friend or relative who likes something can get you into it.

For instance, I have a pretty good memory anyway. Yet lots of times if I bring up a Huey Lewis song or a Brat Pack movie which I like, I get the "oh that was before your time" thing quite a bit, and I think oh gosh, here we go again! ;D

Subject: Re: Do people underestimate secondhand fandom?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/31/08 at 11:02 pm

I think a person can easily love music that was "before their time".  It happens all the time.  With me, I love a lot of 60's music, although I didn't hear much of it until the late 70's or beyond.  For some of that timeframe, I was still in diapers.

I think something could be missing in the overall experience, though, if you were too young (for instance) to experience the music you love at the time it was popular.  It doesn't mean you can't love the music.  It's just that you could overlook some of the greater context if you hear a song 10, 15 years after it was popular.  A song that was popular in 1968 right after some major 1968 event won't mean the same to too-young me as to someone who was then immersed in 1968 culture.  But we both could love that same song immensely.

In some ways, love for a song that's not in one's listening era could indicate a more pure musical love for the song, because the contextual reasons that get mixed up with the song are absent.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/08 at 11:33 pm

I think a person can easily love music that was "before their time".  It happens all the time.  With me, I love a lot of 60's music, although I didn't hear much of it until the late 70's or beyond.  For some of that timeframe, I was still in diapers.

I think something could be missing in the overall experience, though, if you were too young (for instance) to experience the music you love at the time it was popular.  It doesn't mean you can't love the music.  It's just that you could overlook some of the greater context if you hear a song 10, 15 years after it was popular.  A song that was popular in 1968 right after some major 1968 event won't mean the same to too-young me as to someone who was then immersed in 1968 culture.  But we both could love that same song immensely.

In some ways, love for a song that's not in one's listening era could indicate a more pure musical love for the song, because the contextual reasons that get mixed up with the song are absent.

Great point. I actually love alot of '60s music too, especially the Motown and the latter-day Beatles, since my parents played alot of it. So it was part of my childhood too.

I think when you stop and think about it, you can totally see how people can discover things later on, but some people don't think about reruns and the radio I guess lol. Perhaps too, they might think since THEY didn't like older stuff when they were growing up, that no one else would either.

I love the early '80s, especially the music, but I associate it with like '88 or '89 since that's when I heard lots of it, and some not until later. I got into tv shows like Full House in Junior High too.

Written By: whistledog on 08/01/08 at 10:47 pm

You don't have to be around for something to know about it, but one of my pet peeves is when someone speculates about things they weren't around for, and gives wrong information that they refuse to believe is incorrect.  I myself enjoy lots of things that I came too late for, such as 60s/70s music or sitcoms from before the 80s.

Often at times, I make reference to "How I loved that song when I was a kid" when in fact, it's pretty much just a song I'd always heard on the radio

Written By: Bobby on 08/04/08 at 6:04 pm

I'd hope that it is appreciated that people like stuff that is beyond their time frame. It gives the impression that they like what they like through choice and interest rather than follow the sheep liking something one minute and then maintaining they never liked it later on when it becomes unfashionable to do so.

I agree with AmericanGirl's post too.  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/10/08 at 10:07 am

You don't have to be around for something to know about it, but one of my pet peeves is when someone speculates about things they weren't around for, and gives wrong information that they refuse to believe is incorrect.  I myself enjoy lots of things that I came too late for, such as 60s/70s music or sitcoms from before the 80s.

True enough. :) I guess the difference (and I admit I've done it myself since I get so into discussing history and pop culture) is when people try and factualize stuff they didn't experience. It's one thing to like or know certain things, but I kinda see what you're saying now about people being know it-alls.

Often at times, I make reference to "How I loved that song when I was a kid" when in fact, it's pretty much just a song I'd always heard on the radio

Yeah, same here. Like there were songs I actually heard for the first time as a little kid in the 80s, but didn't really get into them until several years later, so I associate them more with Junior High or something.

I'd hope that it is appreciated that people like stuff that is beyond their time frame. It gives the impression that they like what they like through choice and interest rather than follow the sheep liking something one minute and then maintaining they never liked it later on when it becomes unfashionable to do so.

I agree with AmericanGirl's post too.  :)

Totally agree, man. :) You've always got a really good way of putting things.

I think people should like what they want, and if it happens to be new or old, cool or uncool...so be it. :) I guess it's when people dislike or reject something and their only exuse is "because it's old", THAT's when I think it's stupid. It makes kids seem bratty when they do that, lol.

Written By: Tia on 08/10/08 at 10:12 am

i just don't think people who give other people guff for liking stuff they weren't around for need to be taken seriously. (sorry, that sentence is wicked convoluted.) i personally think 1971-73 was pretty much the pinnacle of music and at the time i was swatting at shiny things and pooping my britches. so all i can say is i'm sorry i wasn't 17 in 1971. but of course, if i had been, i'd be even older now, which, thankfully, i'm not.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/10/08 at 10:20 am

I think people should like what they want, and if it happens to be new or old, cool or uncool...so be it. :) I guess it's when people dislike or reject something and their only exuse is "because it's old", THAT's when I think it's stupid. It makes kids seem bratty when they do that, lol.

I agree, I love Billie Holidays music and its way before my time. I agree with whoever said just throw it on and crank it up!!!
I also like Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed and things a little more contemporary.
Pretty much all music except for Disco and its bastard child Rap. 8-P

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/10/08 at 10:59 am

^Oh yeah, totally. :) I love '80s and early 90s music the best since I was a kid then....but there's lots of oldies I grew up with too, like when my parents played them, especially my dad. I've always liked the Beatles, Motown, some Rolling Stones songs, and even stuff like Peter Paul and Mary.

You know what's funny? I didn't even know that stuff was older, because I heard it "in the same company" as new songs. I guess that's why once I was a teen I didn't nitpick because I already had my tastes. I wasn't into gangsta rap like lots of the kids at school in the mid-late '90s were, lol.

Written By: woops on 08/11/08 at 12:35 am

ould also be said for animatioin since I've recently gotten interested in it and I doubt I'd be into 20's Felix the Cat or Oswald Rabbit as a kid...

Written By: Bobby on 08/12/08 at 7:03 pm

Totally agree, man. :) You've always got a really good way of putting things.

Thank you, kindly. :)

As we British have found out regarding ABBA recently, what goes around comes around and everybody is yet again dancing to 'Dancing Queen' . . .  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/13/08 at 12:57 am

How much second hand-fandom can Beethoven get?
???

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/18/08 at 8:53 pm

I like old music. I really do. And it's just te way I was brought up. It's not just MJ and Prince I like. I like people before them too. Like Ike and Tina Turner and Aretha Franklin and the Supremees and Smokey Robinson. Alot of the old Motown groups. And I also like Petula Clark and Brenda Lee...a whole lot of people. I listen to music that people wouldn't even think I knew about.  ;D Shucks, just the other night I was jamming to "Teenager in Love". Sure my friends would dog me if they knew I listened to that, but I don't care!

I'm happy!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/08 at 9:03 pm

Thank you, kindly. :)

As we British have found out regarding ABBA recently, what goes around comes around and everybody is yet again dancing to 'Dancing Queen' . . .  ;D

Turns out this is John McCain's favorite song!
:D

Written By: Bobby on 08/21/08 at 5:44 pm

Turns out this is John McCain's favorite song!
:D

Ha ha, go 'pop-tastic' John McCain!!!  :D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...