» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Anyone else here think they were born in the wrong decade?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 08/21/08 at 7:52 pm

I know I'm not the only one, as most of my friends hate being part of Gen Y. It's funny, because my uncle, who was born in 1972, also wishes he was born earlier, and he is part of a generation that I really wish I was a part of. My father, though, was born in 1961, and that to me seems like the perfect year for me.

Subject: Re: Anyone else here think they were born in the wrong decade?

Written By: whistledog on 08/21/08 at 7:58 pm

It would have been nice ot have been a little older in the 80s, but if I was born earlier than I was, then I'd be way f*cking older than I am now.  No thanks :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/21/08 at 8:05 pm

^ That's true, I've thought of that too lol. It's hard enough to be three years from 30 as it already is.

Logically I know that's still very far from old, and even if like a 40 year old told me they were worried about aging, I'd always be like "Hey dont' sweat it, you're not"...but it's always scary when YOU are going through it, so I guess we're harder on age for ourselves than for someone else.

But yeah, I think I'd like to have been born earlier, since I have an interest in most of the 20th century. Although I'd want to still be young enough when the '80s rolled around to participate and enjoy it too. Say like anywhere from 1950 to the early-mid '70s would've been cool.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/21/08 at 8:23 pm

A lot of times I think I was born in the wrong year. I've always considered myself to be an old soul, because of my preference for anything from the past. Also, I really do wish I was old enough to remember the late 70's and early 80's.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/21/08 at 8:24 pm

Yes indeedy...I wish I would have been born in the 40's or so.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/21/08 at 8:46 pm

My dad was almost 44 when I was born (born in 1938), so he's one of the first "pop culture"/rock era people.

Even though alot of his earlier life is before my comfort zone, there's stuff that I think would've been interesting to live through that he told me about over the years when I was younger. It probably wasn't typical, but he still enjoyed a small amount of pop culture as late as like the mid-late '80s, so I guess I could get a little bit of every world. ;)

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/08 at 10:11 pm

I don't necessarily wish I was born in different decade but I wish technology had advanced quicker. I wish we had the internet, cell phones, digital cameras and DVDs in the 80s.  That would have been awesome.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/21/08 at 10:54 pm

I was born in 1969. That was about the right time.  I just haven't fulfilled my part and become a revolutionary leader.
::)

Written By: Davester on 08/21/08 at 11:01 pm

I was born in 1969. That was about the right time.  I just haven't fulfilled my part and become a revolutionary leader.

You really want to be a revolutionary?  Vote off the party line this November and have a thoroughly enjoyable time doing it...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/21/08 at 11:17 pm

You really want to be a revolutionary?  Vote off the party line this November and have a thoroughly enjoyable time doing it...

I have to see if I can vote at all first.  I might get up 11/4 to discover they've established martial law.
:o

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/08 at 11:41 pm

I have to see if I can vote at all first.  I might get up 11/4 to discover they've established martial law.
:o

wouldn't deciding not to vote also be revolutionary?

Written By: Davester on 08/22/08 at 12:54 am

Nope.  That would be moderation...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/08 at 9:54 am

wouldn't deciding not to vote also be revolutionary?

Per-haps, but the government deciding for you definitely is not!

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/22/08 at 10:25 am

Yes I wish I would have been born in the 40s...maybe 1945 or so. Now if I could pick a century it would be the 1800s. I would love to be a pioneer in the old west. That would be cool. Hard work but very cool.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/22/08 at 12:04 pm

I was born in 1960.  Right or wrong time?  I dunno.  There are things I'm glad I got to experience.  But certainly some things have improved, and I'm happier now in regards to those areas.

I guess, in the words of Talking Heads, being born in 1960 has some good points, some bad points...  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 08/22/08 at 9:13 pm

Yes I wish I would have been born in the 40s...maybe 1945 or so. Now if I could pick a century it would be the 1800s. I would love to be a pioneer in the old west. That would be cool. Hard work but very cool.

hmmm don't think I would have survived living in any of these times.

Actually, spiritually I think I probably did exist as a teen in the 60s and was reincarnated in 1967 because my soul is that of someone who lived earlier than I am able to remember.

Written By: Haman on 08/23/08 at 3:16 pm

I know I'm not the only one, as most of my friends hate being part of Gen Y. It's funny, because my uncle, who was born in 1972, also wishes he was born earlier, and he is part of a generation that I really wish I was a part of. My father, though, was born in 1961, and that to me seems like the perfect year for me.

You don't need to worry too much.

I am under the impression that these days it seems easier than ever to wrap oneself in a self-designed environment. I tend to believe that you shouldn't have too much difficulty in finding imagery, sounds and other material from the decade you like and just isolate yourself in that self-created micro-world. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/23/08 at 5:41 pm

I don't really mind when I was born, even though I sometimes wish I could remember a little more from the '80s.

I think we sometimes hype up the years that came before our time since we don't know what they were really like. There was a time that I wished I could have been around for the '60s and '70s, but I have been told so many stories about how hard things were around here back then that I don't really feel that way anymore. I wouldn't mind having been around to see a bit more of the early 20th century though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/08 at 2:31 am

I would have fared much better as a Beatnik in the '50s!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ymca.gif

Written By: robby76 on 08/25/08 at 4:27 am

I quite like being a 76er but I definitely would've liked to have had more experience of the 70s, so perhaps a 1973'er would've been nice.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/26/08 at 9:30 am

I like the music from other decades ALOT more then what's popular now, but that doesn't mean that I wanna live in the times that they were more popular/recently released.  At no time in history have women been more respected and treated as equals then now, let's just say I could not play the subservient, meek female that would be expected of me in any other decade.  So I suppose I was born in the right decade afterall.

Written By: woops on 08/26/08 at 9:08 pm

^ somewhat agree since some of the technology is good today and things were different back then...

Written By: Davester on 08/26/08 at 11:28 pm

Anyone in the US who needs to be born in the seventies, I suggest you go for pre-1973...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/27/08 at 12:29 am

In less understanding times I might have been committed to the nut house for the kind of depression I was dealing with in my twenties. 

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/29/08 at 5:56 pm

Ideally, I'd love to have come up in the 1980s, like to have spent my adolescent and tenn years in the 1980s. I just adore the hair and fashion and music. I mean my SN is "1986" ! LOL! There's just something about it. I just like the creativity that went into clothing and stuff. It'd be so cool! I mean I talk about Michael and Prince's and Madonna's fashion, they were mavericks of their time. And I know I'd be copying thier looks. The beaded coats, the lace pants, the doezens of crucifixes around my neck--I'd love it.

I also like the 60s. I guess I'm  a sucker for big, Aquanetted hair!  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/29/08 at 11:36 pm

Ideally, I'd love to have come up in the 1980s, like to have spent my adolescent and tenn years in the 1980s. I just adore the hair and fashion and music. I mean my SN is "1986" ! LOL! There's just something about it. I just like the creativity that went into clothing and stuff. It'd be so cool! I mean I talk about Michael and Prince's and Madonna's fashion, they were mavericks of their time. And I know I'd be copying thier looks. The beaded coats, the lace pants, the doezens of crucifixes around my neck--I'd love it.

I also like the 60s. I guess I'm  a sucker for big, Aquanetted hair!  ;)

Back then Prince and Madonna were considered a threat to decent society!

If there was one thing we knew in the '80s it was big hair.  In '86 I had hair like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPj-8_wOZcA

I even dressed like Johnny too.  It's not what I was going for, just what I ended up with!  I could have written the teenagers' manual on How Not to Surive in the Suburbs"!
;)

Written By: woops on 01/01/09 at 5:23 pm

I think I could've atleast been born 10 or 5 years early. Though some technology have improved and can't picture myself in the 1980's as a teenager since I was an outsider as a teen. (I'd probably look at some things  the same way I look at current trends)

Though my musical tastes would be in the "Top 40" section...

Written By: nicole1977 on 12/12/09 at 12:30 am

Nope.  I was born in the right time!  I love 70s, 80s, and 90s music, and I wouldn't trade the decade I was born in for nothing.  70sbaby80schild for LIFE!!!!!

Written By: Frank on 12/12/09 at 1:13 am

I should have been born at least 20 years earlier, if not more. Would  like to have been born in the 20s, 30s or 40s. I could have seen Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig Play, Mickey mantle and Ted Williams. Would have experienced the Beatles, the 60s music if I were born in the 40s.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/12/09 at 12:49 pm

How did I miss this thread?

I always thought that I was born 5 years later than I should have been. I remember when I was in 7th grade thinking that. I have always gotten along better with people who are older than I am, not to mention being "into" things that I was a bit too young for.

Now, I'm kind of glad that I wasn't born 5 years earlier because I would be 5 years older now.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...