» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Good songs/artists with bad music videos

Written By: woops on 09/06/08 at 3:39 pm

Does anybody have any least favorite video from a favorite song and/or artist?

A recent example of a good song/bad video  would be Duffy's "Warwick Avenue" since it's mostly Duffy in the back seat of the car crying with some mascara dripping (not as much like Tammy Faye Baker).

Classic examples:

Van Halen "Jump", it's more overrated than bad since it's just an average video clip with the band performing. Don't know why it's always on those "Greatest Music Videos" lists. The video for their "Pretty Woman" video is overly cheesy and looks like they just rented costumes for no reason whatsoever.

Subject: Re: Good songs/artists with bad music videos

Written By: midnite on 09/06/08 at 3:49 pm

80s music videos are notorious for being weird, goofy, and having things that just don't belong in the video.  Especially, the early 80s videos.  They often have random things that don't make sense.  I will look for a few.

Though I love the song, I always thought Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation" video from 1989 was really bad for two reasons:
1.  What is with the whole Military thing?
2.  REALLY Bad Choregraphy.  I honestly think I could have coreographed better dance sequences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk7i_EPxTlY

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/08 at 4:18 pm

I'll Remember-Madonna. Outstanding song but the video really sucks.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 09/06/08 at 9:39 pm

Get Down by Groove Armada featuring Stush, my all-time favourite song of last year

The music video is filmed as a making of a music video that features giant rabbits (aka guys in rabbit suits) dancing around, performing anal sex on each other

NO THANKS!

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/06/08 at 10:32 pm

Out of Touch by Hall and Oates. I love the song, but the video was so cheesy!  :P

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/07/08 at 8:12 pm

Gosh...I don't know where to start...

Yeah! I do!

Prince Raspberry Beret: I love Prince. The man is fine. Very handsome and cute. That being said,my LAWD, this video was just too much man. Between the "Laugh In" set, the clouds on Prince's outfit and the spliced in animation, this was like Seasame Street on Steroids. It seemed so far out of contest for him. Most of his videos are more...um...sexy, and this looked like something that would be on Seasame Street in between an Oscar the Grouch sketch and leaning how to count. My friends were gobsmacked because we were just shocked. Not a high point Prince...not a high point. LOL.  8-P

Don Johnson: Heartbeat: I liked the song, but the video is best tucked away with Crockets white blazers and pink tee shirts. LOL.

And I liked Rhytym Nation.

Written By: woops on 09/07/08 at 11:31 pm

Moronic TV  viewers ranked the Don Johnson video as the worst video of all time on "25 Lame" in 1999.

Written By: midnite on 09/09/08 at 6:50 pm

Here is an 80s song I love - guilty pleasure.  But the video is outrageously gay.  Probably, second gayest only to Wham' Wake Me Up Before You Go Go.

And one guy has a PIANO-GUITAR!!!! Yeah!!  Totally 80s.

Modern Talking - You're My Heart, You're My Soul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IbPGxYWS_k

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/08 at 8:10 am

Here is an 80s song I love - guilty pleasure.  But the video is outrageously gay.  Probably, second gayest only to Wham' Wake Me Up Before You Go Go.

And one guy has a PIANO-GUITAR!!!! Yeah!!  Totally 80s.

Modern Talking - You're My Heart, You're My Soul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IbPGxYWS_k

That video is pretty bad yes.  As much as I like Modern Talking, they never had the best videos.  Thomas Anders has creepy looking eyes LOL

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/10/08 at 6:23 pm

Can I like totally scratch what I said about "Raspberry Beret"?

I was watching some Prince vids and ran across one worse than that. "Mountains" Lovely song, worse use of a blue screen, I have seen man!  :( I mean... :( Ew... I mean floating over the earth with your band and LEPOARD PRINT speakers and everything. Then half the video is in black and white and colorrized portions are...yuck. Prince shaking it with a tamborine in a midriff bearing top didn't even save the video.  :( :( :( :( :( 

Also, a friend of mine hipped me to a musc video Philip Michael Thomas (from Miami Vice) had done, I don't remember the name, but I didn't like it.

Also, the Jacksons "Torture" video. I love the song, but it's not the Jacksons if Michael and Jermaine aren't there.  :( And filling in the places with wax dummies didn't help either!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/10/08 at 6:36 pm

Easy

Hall & Oates - She's Gone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZZngTkp54I

Of course, it was done in 1973, when the label didn't throw alot of money to videos back then (pre-Mtv)

Written By: midnite on 09/10/08 at 10:53 pm

Easy

Of course, it was done in 1973, when the label didn't throw alot of money to videos back then (pre-Mtv)

yeah that is bad and what the heck are those bizarre strappy sandal wedges on Daryl Hall's feet.  LOL

Written By: woops on 03/01/09 at 4:22 pm

Most '80's new wave/alternative  videos I've seen tend to be average and/or too weird/artsy for my taste

Also videos from The Police and Culture Club tend to be average

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/09 at 2:13 am

Easy

Hall & Oates videos were over-the-top cheesy.  John Oates says he still gets embarrassed when he sees the "Private Eyes" video, you know the one where they're dressed like detectives!
;D

Talk Talk -- Great band, awful videos.

Check for new replies or respond here...