» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Movie Review Thread

Written By: Tam on 09/12/08 at 1:12 pm

Pick a movie..... ANY movie
and give us your reviews of it.

Use the 5 Star rating system like so:  ***** or **** or *** or ** or * and if it is completely unbearable, use this smiley 8-P

Many times I have checked out movies because someone else told me it was good, even though I though the trailer looked horrible!
Tell us whether you liked it or not, and if you like you can list a brief synopsis, but try not to spoil it!

Subject: Re: Movie Review Thread

Written By: Tam on 09/12/08 at 1:13 pm

The Notebook

Rating: *****

I finally sat down and watched this movie the other night. Everyone I talked to had said that it was an awesome movie, and of course the regular reviews were great too. Obviously, if it won awards then it must be good.

A love story, written similar to Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice, poor boy and rich girl fall in love. They could never be together. Yeasr later they are still in love. Live happily ever after. (Of course there is more to it but I don't want to spoil it.)

I watched, kind of saying to myself, "well at least it isn't a complete bore", then of course the ending got me and I curled up into a little sobbing ball! What a powerful movie!

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has yet to see it, and I plan on watching it again and again!

Written By: snozberries on 09/13/08 at 1:41 am

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2

Rating: ***1/2

Finally, finally rewarded willpower by checking out this little gem on its final night in town.

If you didn't see or like the first Sisterhood film then you should (and probably will) stay away. But if you're like me and sucker for buddy films where the characters experience real emotions then hop on the train.

This film picks up the girls Jr year of college. They have entered adulthood but still hold onto a few childhood endeavors...like the tradition of the pants. 

The film is only mildly long, only once did I think about time. For the most part it is evenly divided between each girl as they each handle their own life challenges. It's a film about growing up, growing apart and reconnecting.

Amazing acting of course; but since three of my favorite actress are in it this was no surprise.  Look for the scene between Tibby (Amber Tamblyn) and Carmen (America Ferrera) that scene alone is just layered with emotion and if it weren't Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants I'd say the scene was award worthy.

Written By: whistledog on 09/14/08 at 10:18 am

PHONEbooth

Rating: *****

Colin Farrell stars as Stu Shepard, a NYC publicist, with a loving wife at home, who can't seem to live without his cellphone.  So why is it every day, he visits the same phone booth to converse with a young aspiring actress?  Someone wants to find out:  The phone booth rings, Stu answers it, and on the other end is a man (voiced by Kiefer Sutherland) who tells Stu that he is looking at him right now with a gun pointed at his head, and if he doesn't do as he says, he will die

You wouldn't think a movie that takes place in a phone booth would be entertaining, but let me tell you, this movie is 81 minutes of edge of your seat excitement.  When I watched it on DVD, I was disappointed for not having seen it on the big screen in the theatres.  You watch this movie thinking "wait, he could do that, or do this" but they've covered all the bases.  What you think is going to happen doesn't, and it throws you for a curve.  Finally, a movie that doesn't have an obvious outcome. 

To me, Phone Booth is Colin Farrell's 2nd best film next to S.W.A.T.

Written By: Tam on 09/14/08 at 5:23 pm

Love Actually

Rating: ****1/2

Star studded cast including Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson, Colin Firth, Laura Linney, Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, Keira Knightley and even Rowan Atkinson!
8 different lives and loves intertwine in this British Romantic Comedy, that will leave you wanting more. From far fetched story lines to ones that are too close to being true, we follow the life of the New Prime Minister and many others all the way to the life of a love sick adolescent. You feel every emotion in this movie and, as long as you understand British wit and banter, long for it to end as most romantic movies do.

I took away 1/2 a star because I felt personally that some of the story lines need more development, and of course, because it didn't end the way I WANTED IT TO! ;)

Written By: whistledog on 09/14/08 at 5:26 pm

^ I enjoyed Love Actually, more than I thought I would. British pop singer (and actress) Martine McCutcheon also appears in the film as Hugh Grant's assistant, which was my sole reason for watching the film

That song 'Christmas Is All Around' by Billy Mack as performed in the film actually became a hit in the UK LOL

Written By: Tam on 09/16/08 at 12:19 pm

That's awesome Jas!
I really love this movie, and can probably watch it over and over again!

Written By: Tam on 09/16/08 at 12:34 pm

Reality Bites

Rating ****

In the Directorial Debut of Ben Stiller, this movie is a hard hitting portrayal of the realities of life in the 90's. It follows the lives of four college/university graduates as they try to find themselves in a world that contains Aids, Homosexuality, Drugs, Sex and quite obviously, Rock & Roll. For me, this movie is the start of all the human angst movies of the 90's. It captures the feelings of the grunge era, of the start of reality TV, (although The Real World had been around for several years prior) and of raw human emotion.

It stars Ben Stiller, Winona Ryder, Ethan Hawke, Janeane Garofalo and Steve Zahn.

Personally, I think this is the Best Film that Stiller has ever produced!

Written By: Jessica on 09/16/08 at 1:08 pm

The Fall

In a hospital on the outskirts of 1920s Los Angeles, an injured stuntman begins to tell a fellow patient, a little girl with a broken collarbone, a fantastical story about 5 mythical heroes. Thanks to his fractured state of mind and her vivid imagination, the line between fiction and reality starts to blur as the tale advances.

I don't even remember where I heard about this movie, but I caught an advert for it on IMDb a couple of weeks ago, and was reminded that I wanted to see it when it came out.  So I got it from Netflix last Tuesday and watched it that very night.  I was floored.  The storyline is exquisite, the costumes are just beyond imagination, and Cantica Untaru as the little girl is just delightful.  Apparently she memorized the lines in English (she is Romanian), so that lends even more credibility to the movie and its plot.

If you're into fantastical movies and still have a child's imagination, I highly recommend seeing this.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/18/08 at 7:44 pm

Two For the Road (1967)

This is a very good movie that displays Audrey Hepburn's acting at its finest. The movie is directed by Stanley Donen (who usually directs musicals) and also features Albert Finney, Eleanor Bron and William Daniels (best known for his work on St. Elsewhere and Boy Meets World.)

I will admit that at first I thought this movie would be sad, but believe me it had its sad moments, but it also had so many poignant moments. I've watched this movie probably about 3-4 times, because for anyone that's been in a relationship where you have your hurdles, but know you're right for eachother in the end, can relate very easliy to why the characters act the way they do.

Audrey does a wonderful job portraying Joanna as a sensitive, loving and adoring wife to Albert Finney's Mark Wallace who's somewhat egotistical, often arrogant, but very attractive. Joanna doesn't try too hard to get his attention, but realises from the get go, this man is for her. He needs her. He is always losing his passport, but Joanna's there to find it - in rather mundane places. They fall in love eventually, and although he's not the kind of guy who wants marriage, does marry Joanna. He's also not the kind of guy who wants children, but they end up having 1 child.

Well, I can't spoil it for you, but I suggest you catch this movie!

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/19/08 at 9:04 pm

SOMEWHERE IN TIME
Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour

Just a great love scifi movie. It makes me cry whenever I see it
***** 5 stars

Written By: gibbo on 09/20/08 at 4:06 pm

Love Actually

Rating: ****1/2

Star studded cast including Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson, Colin Firth, Laura Linney, Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, Keira Knightley and even Rowan Atkinson!
8 different lives and loves intertwine in this British Romantic Comedy, that will leave you wanting more. From far fetched story lines to ones that are too close to being true, we follow the life of the New Prime Minister and many others all the way to the life of a love sick adolescent. You feel every emotion in this movie and, as long as you understand British wit and banter, long for it to end as most romantic movies do.

I took away 1/2 a star because I felt personally that some of the story lines need more development, and of course, because it didn't end the way I WANTED IT TO! ;)

I thought Emma Thompson's character in that movie was excellent.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/24/08 at 5:23 am

I thought Emma Thompson's character in that movie was excellent.

I loved this movie too

Written By: 2nz on 09/24/08 at 9:32 pm

'Batman - The Dark Knight' aka 'The Dark Knight'

Batman fights the Joker, haven't I seen this already? Amidst the flood of comic book movies over the past several years, it would be easy to overlook the Dark Knight. The Dark Knight IS a sequel, but it was written as a sequel should be written, doing right everything that the first did right, and upping the ante in terms of danger, drama and challenge to the hero. Both The Dark Knight and 'Batman Begins' were directed by Christopher Nolan and star Christian Bale, so if you enjoyed the first one, then you will love this one.

What sets The Dark Knight apart is how engaging the story is and how well-written and well acted the part of the Joker is. A superhero needs a struggle worthy of him, and a villian deep enough, smart enough and strong enough so that you understand why a movie was made about a guy dressed in a black cape. 'Batman Begins' left off with Batman challenging the mob in Gotham city and ultimately cleaning up the underbelly and scaring away the corruption that was choking the city. The joker undoes everything, and manipulates everyone using fear and using our dependance on order. The Joker believes in chaos, and understands the order around him well enough to destroy that order. Heath Ledger really did an amazing job with the character. There is a scene posted on youtube showing a confrontation where batman questions the joker about a missing person while the joker is locked in prison. The depth of these characters is evident even in this short clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8PxG5zvgOM

The movie is very dark, as the name would suggest. It is also violent at times without being grotesque. I enjoyed the movie thoroughly and I feel it is the best action/character movie to come out in a long time. Watch the clip, then go watch the movie.

Written By: Tam on 09/29/08 at 11:29 pm

A Lot Like Love

Rating: ****

Amanda Peet and Ashton Kutcher are the main characters in this romantic comedy about a couple who meet young and evenutally remeet. However, they can never seem to be together. The acting, directing and everything else about this movie is amazing. One of Ashton's better movies.

Written By: Jessica on 09/30/08 at 8:57 pm

Crank

Hitman Chev Chelios wakes up and realizes a rival injected him with a drug that will kill him.  Now, to stay alive, he has to keep his adrenaline up long enough to find the rival, take revenge, protect his girlfriend, and find the antidote.

I was forced to watch this.  I'm glad.  This movie was more funny than anything.  Typical shoot 'em up action movie, but the aspect of the dude dying unless his adrenaline is high (think the movie "Speed" for your body) is pretty cool.  And Jason Statham....mmmmmmmm. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/naughty.gif  Look for a cameo by Chester Bennington from Linkin Park (shaddap, I love LP).

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/08/08 at 4:22 pm

Men In Black II

Rating: ****

I feared the worse from the rumours I heard when the film was first released, I put that all to one side and enjoyed it.

Written By: whistledog on 10/14/08 at 10:29 pm

Crank

Hitman Chev Chelios wakes up and realizes a rival injected him with a drug that will kill him.  Now, to stay alive, he has to keep his adrenaline up long enough to find the rival, take revenge, protect his girlfriend, and find the antidote.

I was forced to watch this.  I'm glad.  This movie was more funny than anything.  Typical shoot 'em up action movie, but the aspect of the dude dying unless his adrenaline is high (think the movie "Speed" for your body) is pretty cool.  And Jason Statham....mmmmmmmm. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/naughty.gif  Look for a cameo by Chester Bennington from Linkin Park (shaddap, I love LP).

Theys makin' a sequel to that called "Crank 2: High Voltage"

Written By: Michael on 11/11/08 at 11:03 am

9 1/2 Weeks
Watch this with your partner and you'll really enjoy what happens....

Written By: tomario on 11/12/08 at 8:31 am

Quantum of Solace
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:IWL8PUwsaKL40M:http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2008_Quantum_of_Solace/2008_quantum_of_solace_004.jpg

Gets two stars for the fight scenes. The rest of the film is disjointed, like the editor has cut scenes and not replaced them.
And OMG how he disposes of the baddy! It just doesn't fit with the new Bonds mentality.
The ending was so limp it needed a splint!
I was so disappointed with this film. I can't really go into it without revealing what happens  :-X. But even the most hardened Bond fan will give this film the finger!!!

Serve it up for thanksgiving it is a huge turkey  8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/08 at 8:34 am

Quantum of Solace

Gets two stars for the fight scenes. The rest of the film is disjointed, like the editor has cut scenes and not replaced them.
And OMG how he disposes of the baddy! It just doesn't fit with the new Bonds mentality.
The ending was so limp it needed a splint!
I was so disappointed with this film. I can't really go into it without revealing what happens   :-X. But even the most hardened Bond fan will give this film the finger!!!

Serve it up for thanksgiving it is a huge turkey  8-P
I have still yet to see Quantum of Solace the latest Bond movie, and I fear the worse for it.

Originally the book of Quantum of Solace was short story and had to beefed up to make the scenario a feature film length.

Written By: tomario on 11/12/08 at 8:39 am

I have still yet to see Quantum of Solace the latest Bond movie, and I fear the worse for it.

Originally the book of Quantum of Solace was short story and had to beefed up to make the scenario a feature film length.

Philip i was so looking forward to it and was left feeling like id read the book with pages missing. It was so frustrating.
I,d advise waiting for the DVD release.
I came out feeling like i had been mugged! I haven't felt like that since i saw "Back to the Future 2 "  >:(

Written By: tomario on 11/12/08 at 8:59 am

Switchblade Romance (AKA Haute Tension)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000ARFPMQ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Now let me start by letting you know i don't like horror films or foreign language films. Except this one ;D
This is an awesome film! I was made to watch it with my ex when she realised id got a foreign language film and she was mad at me!

I can guarantee that if you watch it, you will have to watch it again!
It has a nice twist at the end that will have you reaching for he remote to go back and see if you can find any evidence of the twist coming.
The violence is pretty graphic, there is not much talking after the first 10 minutes, which only adds to the film.
I admit I'm a wuss and watched most of it from behind a cushion the first time. But i had to watch it the second time with my deerstalker on! Looking for clues. 8)

This is far better than your usual slasher picture (my ex is an expert), there are a few plot holes but there is a load of blood and tension and you'll be riveted to the screen.

Go on hire it out today slasher/ horror/ thriller fans you won't be disappointed!  :D

Written By: Jessica on 11/17/08 at 3:56 am

Frida

"Frida" tells the story of the famous Mexican painter Frida Kahlo, her tumultuous marriage to Diego Rivera, and the extraordinary life she lived.  While a few things were flipped or added, most of it is true.

First off, I must give insane credit to Salma Hayek for growing out the unibrow and moustache.  Yes, it is true that the real Frida had both of those things (and from rumours going around, she'd piss off Diego Rivera by shaving her moustache becaue he was fond of it), but most glamorous Hollywood folk would not go that far.  Salma's performance of Frida Kahlo is just....wow.  Alfred Molina as Diego Rivera is also another extraordinary turn, and the chemistry displayed between them is passionate, tender, and angry, so much so that you feel as if you know them personally.  I know that they had to cut the movie short, but they left in most of the pertinent facts (Frida was severely injured and crippled in a bus accident, her and Diego married twice, she had an affair with Leon Trotsky, Rivera's controversial mural in the Rockefeller Center, etc.), and you get a sense that this woman was extremely strong and powerful and very set on what she wanted to do, and damn the naysayers.  And whoever decided to incorporate her paintings in the movie the way they did is just genius.  It really explains how she came about to paint this or that or the other.

I guess it could be summed up best by a line Alfred Molina said in the movie: "I don't believe that ever before has a woman put such agonized poetry on canvas."  This movie captures that perfectly.

I should warn you though that if you watch it, there are a lot of sex scenes and naked women running around.

Written By: Tam on 11/22/08 at 11:23 pm

Twilight

An adaptation for Stephenie Meyer's first book in the four book saga.
Not just a 'tween movie, a movie for all ages.

Actors:

Kristen Stewart ...  Bella Swan

Robert Pattinson ...  Edward Cullen

Billy Burke ...  Charlie Swan

Ashley Greene ...  Alice Cullen

Nikki Reed ...  Rosalie Hale

Jackson Rathbone ...  Jasper Hale

Kellan Lutz ...  Emmet Cullen

Peter Facinelli ...  Dr. Carlisle Cullen

Cam Gigandet ...  James

Taylor Lautner ...  Jacob Black

The movie: (For those looking for a full screen adaptation of the book... you will be let down. Obviously, there is too much information in the book to be able to show it all in a mere 2 hours. What Summit Entertainment did produce was an excellent movie, with a few changes and twists, making it a perfect movie for those in love with the books.) The story is about a clumsy girl who moves to Forks, WA. and falls in love with a boy. Of course, Edward is no boy. He is an immortal, a vampire who has been alive for over a century. But he isn't an evil, human killing vampire. He and his family strive to be "vegetarians", living off of animals for sustenance. Unfortunately for Edward, the smell that radiates from Bella is his Siren Call. He falls in love with her only by his sheer willpower to not kill her. Their desire to be with one another leads them into peril. Bella is almost killed by another vampire, one outside of Edward's family. Edward rushes to save her, and risks to test his strength when he must suck the venom out of Bella's blood after she has been bitten by her attacker....

Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan was a good choice. Although personally, I think she couldn't handle the roll, the stumbled over some of the better lines from the book, but overall played the part well. Robert Pattinson (Cedrick Diggory of Harry Potter Fame) played Edward Cullen to the fullest. His facial expressions and anguish throughout the movie made me feel like everything I read about him was coming true on the screen. He made Edward come to life for us, by also studying the unfinished book "Midnight Sun" by Stephenie Meyer. (It is the same book as Twilight, only from Edward's point of view.) The other actors were essential as well, and they portrayed their characters true. Some scenes in the movie could use a little more information, (Biology scene) however it still made it's mark for me!

Of course, some viewers are screaming that the movie didn't do the book justice, but like I said, you can't fit everything into a 2 hour movie. I think Summit did very well with what they were allotted. I definitely recommend it to everyone.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/08 at 5:04 am

What Lies Beneath

A film shot in the style of Alfred Hitchcock by Robert Zemeckis (known for "Forrest Gump" and "Back To The Future") portrays a story of a perfect husband university research scientist (Harrison Ford) and his wife (Michelle Pfeiffer) who is recoving from an accident, finds herself gradually losing her mind, believing that their lakeside Vermont home is haunted by a ghost.

With traditional heart stopping shock moments of a scary film and  should not be watched alone. Some plot details were missed due to bad dialogue covered by noise, but the story was easily followed.

It is a curious note that, Robert Zemeckis filmed this production as "Cast Away" was postponed while actor Tom Hanks had to lose weight and grow a beard for his character.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/08 at 11:55 am

Spice World

Rating:

Absolute rubbish!

Written By: adagio on 11/27/08 at 9:14 pm

SOMEWHERE IN TIME
Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour

Just a great love scifi movie. It makes me cry whenever I see it
***** 5 stars

I puddle up when the title comes on..it's that good.

Written By: Tam on 12/08/08 at 12:25 am

A Walk To Remember

Rating *****

Mandy Moore and Shane West *swoon* star in this romance about a bad boy and a Christian girl who has leukemia. Just an overall powerful movie. I have watched it so many times I can no longer count. Just finished watching it again!!!

Shane West *swoon again*
http://z.about.com/d/tvdramas/1/0/W/4/shanewest.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 12/08/08 at 12:51 am

A Walk To Remember

Rating *****

Mandy Moore and Shane West *swoon* star in this romance about a bad boy and a Christian girl who has leukemia. Just an overall powerful movie. I have watched it so many times I can no longer count. Just finished watching it again!!!

Shane West *swoon again*

I need to watch this one again I saw it but I remember nothing about it.

Written By: Hoagies With Myles on 12/10/08 at 10:26 pm

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51C3JW6VP2L._SS500_.jpg

I watched Explorers for the first time in a loooong time.

Did not hold up very well at all. I was really liking it in the beginning but the movie basically just imploded about half way though.

*1/2

Written By: statsqueen on 12/10/08 at 10:54 pm

Wall E  *****

It was adorable.  Some people might think that it was a little heavyhanded and I guess it could be construed that way in some parts, but I think overall it was just a great movie.  I have found that even with some movies that I enjoy, I will skip the beginning or various scenes.  With this movie, I not only want to buy it, but I will watch it from the first scene to the last.  Thnk "Happy Feet" (without the tap dancing) drawing attention to the problem of overflowing landfills using robots instead of penguins.

For anyone who hasn't seen previews (this person submitted something better than I could):

In a distant, but not so unrealistic future, where mankind has abandoned earth because it has become covered with trash from products sold by the powerful multi-national Buy N Large corporation, WALL-E (short for Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth-Class), a garbage collecting robot has been left to clean up the mess. Mesmerized with trinkets of earth's history and show tunes, WALL-E is alone on Earth except for a sprightly pet cockroach. One day, Eve, a sleek (and dangerous) reconnaissance robot, is sent to earth to find proof that life is once again sustainable. WALL-E falls in love with Eve. WALL-E rescues Eve from a dust storm and shows her a living plant he found amongst the rubble. Consistent with her "directive" Eve takes the plant and automatically enters a deactivated state except for a blinking green beacon. WALL-E, doesn't understand what has happened to his new friend, but true to his love, he protects her from wind, rain, and lightening, even as she is unresponsive. One day a massive ship comes to reclaim Eve, but WALL-E, out of love or loneliness hitches a ride on the outside of the ship to rescue Eve. The ship arrives back at a large space cruise ship, which is carrying all of the humans who evacuated earth 700 years earlier. The people of earth ride around this space resort on hovering chairs which give them a constant feed of TV and video chatting. They drink all of their meals through a straw out of laziness and/or bone loss, and are all so fat that they can barely move. When the auto-pilot computer, acting on hastily given instructions sent many centuries before, tries to prevent the people of earth from returning, by stealing the plant, WALL-E, Eve, the portly captain, and a band of broken robots stage a mutiny.

Among previously reviewed movies:

I've seen and enjoyed The Notebook (watched more than once, enjoyed very much) and while I haven't see Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2, I have watched the first one a couple times with my daughter, also saw and liked Walk to Remember (also read the book).

Written By: snozberries on 12/18/08 at 1:00 am

The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)

I don't know three stars might be generous.

Keanu Reeves stars as an alien who's come to Earth to save the planet...not giving away any plot points here (I don't think) Anyway--- they beat you over the head with the message that Humans are Killing Earth. Yeah I got it! Thanks for the update. Don't mind me while I throw my popcorn container and plastic soda bottle in the trash... 

Anyway, the role is perfect for Keanu because he doesn't have to show any emotion... I think that's what he calls acting anyway isn't it?  ;)
Will & Jada Smith's son Jaden has 3rd or 4th billing in the film.  I loved the kid in Pursuit of Happyness but here it seemed like he was trying too hard...what happened to all that "natural" acting he was teaching Will about in the other film?  Nothing about Jaden's delivery felt natural.. and I think he probably got the job because of the Smith name...

The worst thing about the movie was director Scott Derrickson's over use of the over head shot... We get it you like artsy looking shots! you know if you use too many of them in a film we know you're an inexperienced director. I checked he only has four other movie credits (not counting the one in post).

At least Jennifer Connelly and the special effects were good.  Plus I had popcorn and popcorn makes any movie better!

Stay home and watch on dvd. The effects were good but not so great you have to see them on the big screen!

BTW The Wolverine trailer ROCKED That flick is gonna be effing AWESOME... jury's still out on the new Terminator film.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/18/08 at 1:01 am

Wall E  *****

It was adorable.  Some people might think that it was a little heavyhanded and I guess it could be construed that way in some parts, but I think overall it was just a great movie.  I have found that even with some movies that I enjoy, I will skip the beginning or various scenes.  With this movie, I not only want to buy it, but I will watch it from the first scene to the last.  Thnk "Happy Feet" (without the tap dancing) drawing attention to the problem of overflowing landfills using robots instead of penguins.

For anyone who hasn't seen previews (this person submitted something better than I could):

In a distant, but not so unrealistic future, where mankind has abandoned earth because it has become covered with trash from products sold by the powerful multi-national Buy N Large corporation, WALL-E (short for Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth-Class), a garbage collecting robot has been left to clean up the mess. Mesmerized with trinkets of earth's history and show tunes, WALL-E is alone on Earth except for a sprightly pet cockroach. One day, Eve, a sleek (and dangerous) reconnaissance robot, is sent to earth to find proof that life is once again sustainable. WALL-E falls in love with Eve. WALL-E rescues Eve from a dust storm and shows her a living plant he found amongst the rubble. Consistent with her "directive" Eve takes the plant and automatically enters a deactivated state except for a blinking green beacon. WALL-E, doesn't understand what has happened to his new friend, but true to his love, he protects her from wind, rain, and lightening, even as she is unresponsive. One day a massive ship comes to reclaim Eve, but WALL-E, out of love or loneliness hitches a ride on the outside of the ship to rescue Eve. The ship arrives back at a large space cruise ship, which is carrying all of the humans who evacuated earth 700 years earlier. The people of earth ride around this space resort on hovering chairs which give them a constant feed of TV and video chatting. They drink all of their meals through a straw out of laziness and/or bone loss, and are all so fat that they can barely move. When the auto-pilot computer, acting on hastily given instructions sent many centuries before, tries to prevent the people of earth from returning, by stealing the plant, WALL-E, Eve, the portly captain, and a band of broken robots stage a mutiny.

Among previously reviewed movies:

I've seen and enjoyed The Notebook (watched more than once, enjoyed very much) and while I haven't see Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2, I have watched the first one a couple times with my daughter, also saw and liked Walk to Remember (also read the book).

I agree....V and I LOVED Wall E.

Written By: snozberries on 12/18/08 at 1:02 am

did you guys see bolt? I hear its great...

oops should've put this in the new thread.... oh well.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/18/08 at 1:08 pm

did you guys see bolt? I hear its great...

oops should've put this in the new thread.... oh well.

no, not yet...but it's on our "to see" list! ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/22/08 at 8:43 pm

Twilight

An adaptation for Stephenie Meyer's first book in the four book saga.
Not just a 'tween movie, a movie for all ages.

Actors:

Kristen Stewart ...  Bella Swan

Robert Pattinson ...  Edward Cullen

Billy Burke ...  Charlie Swan

Ashley Greene ...  Alice Cullen

Nikki Reed ...  Rosalie Hale

Jackson Rathbone ...  Jasper Hale

Kellan Lutz ...  Emmet Cullen

Peter Facinelli ...  Dr. Carlisle Cullen

Cam Gigandet ...  James

Taylor Lautner ...  Jacob Black

The movie: (For those looking for a full screen adaptation of the book... you will be let down. Obviously, there is too much information in the book to be able to show it all in a mere 2 hours. What Summit Entertainment did produce was an excellent movie, with a few changes and twists, making it a perfect movie for those in love with the books.) The story is about a clumsy girl who moves to Forks, WA. and falls in love with a boy. Of course, Edward is no boy. He is an immortal, a vampire who has been alive for over a century. But he isn't an evil, human killing vampire. He and his family strive to be "vegetarians", living off of animals for sustenance. Unfortunately for Edward, the smell that radiates from Bella is his Siren Call. He falls in love with her only by his sheer willpower to not kill her. Their desire to be with one another leads them into peril. Bella is almost killed by another vampire, one outside of Edward's family. Edward rushes to save her, and risks to test his strength when he must suck the venom out of Bella's blood after she has been bitten by her attacker....

Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan was a good choice. Although personally, I think she couldn't handle the roll, the stumbled over some of the better lines from the book, but overall played the part well. Robert Pattinson (Cedrick Diggory of Harry Potter Fame) played Edward Cullen to the fullest. His facial expressions and anguish throughout the movie made me feel like everything I read about him was coming true on the screen. He made Edward come to life for us, by also studying the unfinished book "Midnight Sun" by Stephenie Meyer. (It is the same book as Twilight, only from Edward's point of view.) The other actors were essential as well, and they portrayed their characters true. Some scenes in the movie could use a little more information, (Biology scene) however it still made it's mark for me!

Of course, some viewers are screaming that the movie didn't do the book justice, but like I said, you can't fit everything into a 2 hour movie. I think Summit did very well with what they were allotted. I definitely recommend it to everyone.

I think this is a perfect review.  You nailed it, girl! 

Written By: ADH13 on 12/28/08 at 12:35 am

The Changeling

Inspired by actual events that occurred in 1920s-era Los Angeles, Clint Eastwood's "Changeling" tells the story of a woman driven to confront a corrupted LAPD after her abducted son is retrieved and she begins to suspect that the boy returned to her is not the same boy she gave birth to. The year was 1928, and the setting a working-class suburb of Los Angeles.  As much as Christine would like to accept the fact that her son has been returned to her, she cannot accept the injustice being pushed upon her and continues to challenge the Prohibition-era Los Angeles police force at every turn. As a result, Christine is slandered by the powers that be, and painted as an unfit mother. In this town, a woman who challenges the system is putting her life on the line, and as the situation grows desperate, the only person willing to aid her in her search is benevolent local activist Reverend Briegleb (John Malkovich).
(above courtesy of imbd)

I wanted to see this movie badly enough that I actually convinced my husband to go to the movies to see it.  It was really good, and I would've given it 5 stars, but there were a couple little things that bugged me, things that just didn't seem realistic (even though it is based on a true story)

Written By: Big Nasty on 01/02/09 at 10:42 pm

So this is not a Movie Review! I am well aware of what I am supposed to be doing here. You see this is my 900th post to these boards and I wanted to thank the person that convinced me to join in the first place.  You see she started this thread so I know this message will find her.  I realize that I am very active and then I have periods of not posting but I actually do enjoy the challenges of the games and watching the results of my latest Poll. So for all of this I just want to say...
Thank Tam and I Love You! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/1luvu.gif

Written By: gibbo on 01/03/09 at 4:20 am

So this is not a Movie Review! I am well aware of what I am supposed to be doing here. You see this is my 900th post to these boards and I wanted to thank the person that convinced me to join in the first place.  You see she started this thread so I know this message will find her.  I realize that I am very active and then I have periods of not posting but I actually do enjoy the challenges of the games and watching the results of my latest Poll. So for all of this I just want to say...
Thank Tam and I Love You! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/1luvu.gif

I'll thank you too Tam.....he's not a nasty bloke really!  ;)

Written By: Tia on 01/07/09 at 4:33 pm

bad boys. i'd give it two stars out of five. the action scenes were too whimsical, the jokes sucked, the storyline was trite, and they gave martin lawrence -- who is an annoying twit -- way too much screen time, and will smith, who's awesome, way too little. but even smith wasn't very good in this, because the writing was so bad. written and directed by michael bay, who if memory serves was also guilty of making "pearl harbor."

i give it two mr. yucks.

8-P 8-P

Written By: Silver Power on 01/13/09 at 10:00 pm

Valkyrie,  **

I'm Jewish, and as a Jew, you feel almost obligated to like any movie about someone trying to prevent the Holocaust. Or even about the Holocaust. But I can't say that about Valkyrie. Tom Cruise's first super major movie role was more disappointing than when a Jewish child learns that Christian kids get MORE than 9 presents.

The story was based off of true events, and it showed, because watching it felt more like watching a history channel documentary than a Major Motion Picture. It had it's moments, which were entertaining, but those moments didn't come up often. I took many bathroom breaks during this movie, just to escape the film. I almost fell asleep, and I'm not just saying that. It might as well have been soft music with visualizations playing, because both could send me into a deep sleep. But I stayed strong, and watched until the end of the movie. The ending was probably the best, because it was the only part with any sort of human emotion in the entire movie.

FAIL.

Written By: MissDemento on 01/25/09 at 2:08 pm

Repo! The Genetic Opera -*****-

I couldn't wait until it came out on DVD.  IT you like horror/gore/musicals. This is the movie you want to see.
It's not your average musical.  It tells the story through song, but not in a completely lame way.  The songs do get stuck in your head.. so WATCH OUT!  :)

Written By: statsqueen on 01/28/09 at 9:45 pm

Did you hear Eve drop the F bomb?  We've watched the DVD no less than 50 times and just caught it the other night.

Written By: whistledog on 02/15/09 at 11:08 pm

BANGKOK DANGEROUS
starring Nicolas Cage

(0 / ***** Absolute pile of crap)

The back of the packaging, one critic claimed this movie is "a must for action fans".  I am an action fan, and this movie nearly put me to sleep.  If you saw the trailer on TV for this when it was at theatres, then you pretty much saw all the action that was in the movie.  I was expecting great action and thrills much like Cage's previous films: 'Next' and 'Ghost Rider' but I didn't get it and I was very disappointed. 

A contender in my books as one of the worst movies of 2008

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/09 at 11:13 pm

BANGKOK DANGEROUS
starring Nicolas Cage

(0 / ***** Absolute pile of crap)

The back of the packaging, one critic claimed this movie is "a must for action fans".  I am an action fan, and this movie nearly put me to sleep.  If you saw the trailer on TV for this when it was at theatres, then you pretty much saw all the action that was in the movie.  I was expecting great action and thrills much like Cage's previous films: 'Next' and 'Ghost Rider' but I didn't get it and I was very disappointed. 

A contender in my books as one of the worst movies of 2008

I'm thinking the title should have been your first clue  ;D

Written By: Tia on 02/20/09 at 7:52 pm

I'm thinking the title should have been your first clue  ;D
and the fact that he liked "ghost rider" and didn't like this...  :o

i actually sorta liked ghost rider too, a bit, but just because it was so unbelievably prespammersite it was funny.

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/09 at 10:22 pm

and the fact that he liked "ghost rider" and didn't like this...  :o

i actually sorta liked ghost rider too, a bit, but just because it was so unbelievably prespammersite it was funny.

funny I was going to suggest Ghost Rider as a God Awful Movie Selection  ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 02/20/09 at 10:45 pm

funny I was going to suggest Ghost Rider as a God Awful Movie Selection  ;D

I gave a review of Ghost Rider when it came out. I liked it but then again I like most comic book movies.

Here is the review I gave the movie.

If you're looking for an Oscar winning performance, a gut retching romance or an all around feel good movie----
stay away from this one. If you're looking for a hokey, computer geneterated action film, this is the one for you.
It's a comic book movie, one of the better ones I've seen. With the exception of a slow start this was an excellent
movie. I loved the hokey computerized Rider and I wasn't disappointed by Nicholas Cage's performance as Johnny
Blaze, Sam Elliott as the Caretaker, and Peter Fonda as Mephisto, who added an extra flair.

I have been a fan of Ghost Rider since his first appearance in Marvel Spotlight #5 so my opinion may be biased, but
I liked the way the movie tied all the Ghost Riders together, The 70's Ghost Rider with the 90's Spirit Of Vengeance,
and a strange little twist that only a true Ghost Rider fan may pick up on, or just an old fan. Anwyway an excellent
movie.

Written By: snozberries on 03/08/09 at 12:03 pm

THE WATCHMEN ** 1/2

I have to say- I went into this knowing nothing about the Watchmen- other than the movie was based on a graphic novel I'd never heard of- so a fan of the Watchmen may want to write a different review... my review is directed towards people like myself who are going in knowing nothing.

I am a fan of movies based on comic books. I like super heroes....and I like violence... this film was full of graphic, gratuitous violence... if you are squeamish you will squirm...if you are sick and twisted (like me) you will laugh... if you have a high tolerance for blood and bashing you will just jump... a lot.

One of the things that surprised me...and maybe there should be a disclaimer on the film so that parents don't take their teens... is there is a lot of full frontal nudity and a sex scene that belongs on Skinemax (cinemax) and not the big screen.  All in all- the characters are super humans with super human fallacies and its nice to see the layers but unfortunately I didn't really like any of the characters so I didn't much care about their "struggles."

The most interesting thing was the way they play with History...the film is set in 1985 and Nixon is in his third term as president.   ::)  Who knew there could have been something worse/scarier than George W. in the White House for the last eight years. 

I also really didn't like the costuming or the art direction... I mean- if that's how everything looked in the books then great...but really I thought they were cheesy looking..especially Archie...oh wait- the film was set in 1985. I guess Archie would have looked cool in 1985 but not so much in 2009 looking back at 1985...  ::)

All in all- unless you're a fan- wait for the DVD.   Better yet....wait for the televised edited version then all the disturbing stuff will have been edited out.  The film deserves an NC17 rating not R.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/17/09 at 9:32 pm

Soultaker!  *

Joe Estevez, the younger brother of Martin Sheen, plays the Soultaker, a man who takes souls from unsuspecting people.  After some people die in car accident, and refuse to just die already, and pass on the other side, the Soul Taker arrives to collect their souls.

Another angel of death, shows up to help the kids, pass on to the other side, and hopefully prevent the Soul Taker, from claiming more souls, in the process.

The special effects in the film, are pretty decent, but over all, the film is hilariously bad, especially in the dialogue department.

Check out some choice gems....

"Led Zeppelin was wrong, man. There is no stairway to heaven."

"You must restore the balance or pay the penalty."

"You can't kill a man who's already dead."

Man..... talk about stating the obvious!

By the way, you haven't lived, until you seee the Mystery Science Theatre 3000, version of the film!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/24/09 at 9:14 pm

By the way, my horror film review blog, is up and running now.

http://snakesonaskateboard.blogspot.com/

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/20/09 at 8:56 pm

CRANK 2: (?WTF?/*****)

23 years ago, the prophet Lou Reed foresaw this moment: "This is the age of video violence". 

I'm pleased to report that the prophecy of Reed has now been fulfilled. 

I'd just read this review of Crank 2 (warning, review contains naughty words.)

And this thread about the review, during which the movie was described as "A live-action version of GTA", "Like Tom and Jerry, but with whores!", "A Troma movie gone mainstream", "Like Commando meets Crank meets the beginning of Magnolia meets the end of Bowfinger meets Gary Larson's "The Far Side" meets sitting in a large paint can mixer."

And I figured hey, I gotta get me some of that.

My matinee review?  "Like watching Ow! My Balls! on one giant-ass plasma screen while playing UT2K3 deathmatch on a second giant-ass plasma screen, where both screens are mounted behind the stripper poles in the world's sleaziest strip club.  I score it WTF-out-of-5: as cinema, zero stars, but as entertainment, six out of five."

It was everything I'd hoped it would be.  I had a goofy grin on my face the rest of the day that still hasn't gone away.  The currents rage, deep inside us, this is the age of video violence...

Written By: snozberries on 05/06/09 at 2:28 am

CRANK 2: (?WTF?/*****)

My matinee review?  "Like watching Ow! My Balls! on one giant-ass plasma screen while playing UT2K3 deathmatch on a second giant-ass plasma screen, where both screens are mounted behind the stripper poles in the world's sleaziest strip club.  I score it WTF-out-of-5: as cinema, zero stars, but as entertainment, six out of five."

you get karma for this!  8)

Written By: Michael C. on 05/16/09 at 11:33 am

I wanted to see it on a big screen but it had such a limited release,it was impossible.
Lionsgate wanted to keep the creators of their "tentpole" Franchise {the Saw films....which have gone on waaay too long} happy so they got behind Repo...and when it was done,it's like...Lionsgate didn't know what to do with it.....They should've taken the word "Opera" out of the title {if they thought that would discourage the Youngsters... ;) } and released it. Not since Phantom of the Paradise have I found such a Film {with many musical numbers} so entertaining.
The cast was INCREDIBLE ! And the songs,downright addictive.
Zydrate Anatomy gets in Your head & stays there.
Someone sent Me a really funny Zydrate clip w/ the cast of The Lion KIng......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO6sd5MVOzc

Repo! The Genetic Opera -*****-

I couldn't wait until it came out on DVD.  IT you like horror/gore/musicals. This is the movie you want to see.
It's not your average musical.  It tells the story through song, but not in a completely lame way.  The songs do get stuck in your head.. so WATCH OUT!  :)

Written By: Big Nasty on 05/17/09 at 7:27 am

Angels & Demons

I read the book prior to seeing this film and that was a huge mistake. The film changes so many things from the book. I realize it is normal for the book to be better than the film. What I have issue with is the changed characters and missing characters. The heroine is driven by revenge toward her fathers killer in the book, in the movie it is her colleague who is murdered. In the book the Hassassin kidnaps the heroine and Tom Hanks character is driven to save her, because he is falling for her. In the film she is never kidnapped. There are several other changes as well.

My opinion is that if you have not read the book by Dan Brown, the film is a good view.  If you have read the book don't bother with the film you will only be angry as I am.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/09 at 5:25 am

Angels & Demons

I read the book prior to seeing this film and that was a huge mistake. The film changes so many things from the book. I realize it is normal for the book to be better than the film. What I have issue with is the changed characters and missing characters. The heroine is driven by revenge toward her fathers killer in the book, in the movie it is her colleague who is murdered. In the book the Hassassin kidnaps the heroine and Tom Hanks character is driven to save her, because he is falling for her. In the film she is never kidnapped. There are several other changes as well.

My opinion is that if you have not read the book by Dan Brown, the film is a good view.  If you have read the book don't bother with the film you will only be angry as I am.
Thanks for the warning.

Written By: Michael C. on 09/07/09 at 5:03 pm

Rob Zombie'sHalloween II......sequel to His 2007 hit reinvention, of the several Michael Myers epics, that have been released since John Carpenter's 1978 original. Where as the '07 Film had all the earmarks of Writer/Director Zombie's previous Films {House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects} this one......very different for Him.....is all style and no substance. {I know...who expects that from a Slasher Film...and...a sequel.....}
Visually......WOW........Myers chasing Laurie during a rainstorm. Myers walking through a field. Scenes of Haddonfield's Streets,in the fog.
What's real & what's not becomes a blur ...and works well for the Film.
My problem was with the paint by numbers,cookie cutter plot and characters. I really thought the Film was headed for a twist at the end that would have been way cool... instead...We got the usual , standard Slasher Horror ending.
Malcolm McDowell plays Dr. Loomis WAY over the top this time out. Brad Dourif lends a bit more characterization as Sheriff Brackett,this time out.And, Scout Taylor Compton plays Laurie , mental scars and all, with more conviction this time.
The 1st Trailer didn't do much for Me.The 2nd offered a bit more intrigue. The TV ads sold Me, to keep a more open mind.
An "unreleased , leaked Trailer" hit the internet just before the Film was released.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiV9jj5n0zc
Overall......as good as You can expect from a sequel.....serviceable but not up to the previous effort.

http://www.thinkhero.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/halloween-2-poster.jpg

http://www.realmovienews.com/movieimages/9856/9938/9938_749_poster_1_f.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/07/09 at 7:28 pm

If you have not seen District 9, stop what you're doing and go see it now.

That is all.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/10/09 at 9:04 am

If you were thinking of seeing 9 and were turned off by the lukewarm reviews.  Don't be.  The original short that it's based on is probably still superior to the full length movie, but the movie is still better than most.  Not a movie for kids under 9 though.  At least I don't think so.  It's a bit violent and scary for little kids.

Written By: gibbo on 09/10/09 at 9:34 am

If you have not seen District 9, stop what you're doing and go see it now.

That is all.

That's the 3rd time I've heard a rave review about this movie...I gotta go see it!

Written By: statsqueen on 11/25/09 at 9:42 pm

Got 2 rave reviews for you:

Don't miss Blind Side and New Moon

Blind Side is part football, part feel good.  Something for everyone.  Great lines, great acting.  Always been a Sandra Bullock fan.  Based on a true story, so make sure you stick around during the credits to see photos of the real NFL player and the family who took him in.  For those who haven't seen trailers (are there any?):  African-American male youth who has no stable home ends up at an all white Christian school and then taken in by the Tuohy family (who are white).  Takes place in Memphis.  Despite his size, he is not a natural football player, but catches on.  Can't help but love Sandra's character.  The kids are cool, too.

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/09 at 10:30 pm

Got 2 rave reviews for you:

Don't miss Blind Side and New Moon

Blind Side is part football, part feel good.  Something for everyone.  Great lines, great acting.  Always been a Sandra Bullock fan.  Based on a true story, so make sure you stick around during the credits to see photos of the real NFL player and the family who took him in.  For those who haven't seen trailers (are there any?):  African-American male youth who has no stable home ends up at an all white Christian school and then taken in by the Tuohy family (who are white).  Takes place in Memphis.  Despite his size, he is not a natural football player, but catches on.  Can't help but love Sandra's character.  The kids are cool, too.

his story is similar to Dennis Rodman's.....hopefully Michael Ohr's ends better LOL

Written By: Silver Power on 11/25/09 at 10:51 pm

The commercial alone almost made me tear up. When he said that he never had a bed before, it was heartbreaking. I'm an emotional 16 year old, lol. ;D

I really want to see it. My girlfriend wants to see New Moon, but I kept telling her that I want to see Blindside. I ended up giving in and I'm taking her to New Moon on Saturday, as for the Blind Side, we might see that on Sunday.

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/09 at 10:54 pm

The commercial alone almost made me tear up. When he said that he never had a bed before, it was heartbreaking. I'm an emotional 16 year old, lol. ;D

I really want to see it. My girlfriend wants to see New Moon, but I kept telling her that I want to see Blindside. I ended up giving in and I'm taking her to New Moon on Saturday, as for the Blind Side, we might see that on Sunday.

successful relationships are all about compromise. and you got it right always...ALWAYS... let her get her way first.  ;)

Written By: statsqueen on 11/26/09 at 10:06 pm

I'm thinking there will be enough action in New Moon to keep you from getting glassy eyed. 

Written By: loki 13 on 01/02/10 at 5:42 pm

I have finally seen Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince and I must say, it was a bit confusing. If you
saw this movie without reading the book I pity you, you had to be completely lost. I've read the book
I was still scratching my head. Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie, not the best Harry Potter but
good none the less. For as long as the movie was I think they could have spent a little more time explaining
things and there were a few scenes that had me saying, "It didn't happen like that in the book."

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/10 at 5:44 pm

I have finally seen Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince and I must say, it was a bit confusing. If you
saw this movie without reading the book I pity you, you had to be completely lost. I've read the book
I was still scratching my head. Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie, not the best Harry Potter but
good none the less. For as long as the movie was I think they could have spent a little more time explaining
things and there were a few scenes that had me saying, "It didn't happen like that in the book."

well to be fair we seem to say to say that alot with all the films.. I think they should've worked harder to stay true to the books from the beginning..  I always thought the whole thing would've been better done as a television series than a film.. each chapter could've been an episode and it could've been on the air for 7 seasons... maybe even 8  ;)

Written By: loki 13 on 01/02/10 at 6:15 pm

well to be fair we seem to say to say that alot with all the films.. I think they should've worked harder to stay true to the books from the beginning..  I always thought the whole thing would've been better done as a television series than a film.. each chapter could've been an episode and it could've been on the air for 7 seasons... maybe even 8  ;)

Now that sounds like a good idea. Any truth to the rumor that the final movie is to be done in two parts?

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/10 at 6:19 pm

Now that sounds like a good idea. Any truth to the rumor that the final movie is to be done in two parts?

Yeah there are going to be two films to cover Deathly Hallows

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/05/10 at 8:20 pm

What, no "Avatar" review?  We're slacking.

See it while you can still see it in 3D, and do so at the largest IMAX screen you can.  Forget the plot, this one's all about the visuals.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/10 at 5:33 am

What, no "Avatar" review?  We're slacking.

See it while you can still see it in 3D, and do so at the largest IMAX screen you can.  Forget the plot, this one's all about the visuals.
I wish not to review the film for I may spoil the spectucle of the film that it is.

Written By: Jessica on 01/15/10 at 2:20 am

People need to see the Wiseau masterpiece of "The Room".  I am not saying anything beyond the fact that it is f*cking awful and hysterical at the same time.  See it with the Rifftrax if you can.  I guarantee you will laugh your ass off.  I'm watching it with the Rifftrax going right now, and I'm frickin' rolling.

Written By: silhouette on 03/17/10 at 11:58 pm

The Room... yeah, that's quite the thing. There are no words.  ;D

District 9 was really great. I sure liked it. Even if you're not into science fiction there's something to be enjoyed there.

Not  a new release by any means, but I just watched AKIRA on YouTube. It's the 1988 anime movie. The animation was just brilliant, absolutely great art, but the story itself was quite a mind screw. The dubbing had some kind of silly lines though. ("Let's sit down and talk about the revolution!" and "That's MISTER Kaneda to you, punk!" come to mind. Sort of disturbing, also, but the setting and animation were just amazing.

Written By: ronobvious on 08/18/10 at 11:04 pm

People need to see the Wiseau masterpiece of "The Room".  I am not saying anything beyond the fact that it is f*cking awful and hysterical at the same time.  See it with the Rifftrax if you can.  I guarantee you will laugh your ass off.  I'm watching it with the Rifftrax going right now, and I'm frickin' rolling.

My roommate and I are making it our mission to make as many people see The Room as possible. We're hoping a screening comes to our area sometime so we can see it with an audience.

Definitely so bad its good.

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/26/10 at 10:07 pm

District 9 was really great. I sure liked it. Even if you're not into science fiction there's something to be enjoyed there.

I can not stay awake long enough to get through to the end, I've tried 3 times and I always fall asleep.

Written By: snozberries on 09/25/10 at 10:32 am

I was watching Medium last night and the middle daughter, Bridget, was watching 2001 because she wanted to impress a boy. I laughed at her analysis of the film.... mostly because it's similar to my own point of view.  :D

"It's pretty boring. First there are these monkeys and then we're in space. Eh, I gotta be honest, I've seen better movies about monkeys in space."

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/25/10 at 9:46 pm

Stone concentrates more on the relationship drama than on the LBO world that was the focus of the original, but he makes a decent point: Gordon Gekko was a damn piker compared to the sorts of people who orchestrated things like the demise of Bear Stearns. 

Money never sleeps.  The movie's not perfect, but the one-liners more than redeem it.  23 years after the original, and 8 years after being thrown in the slammer for being guilty as sin, Gordon Gekko is back.

Written By: Tam on 10/24/10 at 7:45 pm

I recently made it through reading Mansfield Park by Jane Austen.
It was a good book once you get through the first volume.

So then I decided to netflix the movie before I went out and bought it. Am I ever glad I did.

I couldn't stand the movie. They changed A LOT of information in it and added a bunch of other stuff they claimed was from Jane Austen's early letters and journals. ::)
I do not recommend this movie. (The one with Jonny Lee Miller).
Complete rubbish!

Written By: Gis on 10/27/10 at 4:28 am

I recently made it through reading Mansfield Park by Jane Austen.
It was a good book once you get through the first volume.

So then I decided to netflix the movie before I went out and bought it. Am I ever glad I did.

I couldn't stand the movie. They changed A LOT of information in it and added a bunch of other stuff they claimed was from Jane Austen's early letters and journals. ::)
I do not recommend this movie. (The one with Jonny Lee Miller).
Complete rubbish!
It IS crap isn't it!

Have you watched Persuasion yet?

Written By: silhouette on 03/11/11 at 2:26 am

I saw Les Maitres du Tiemps, an animated movie by Rene Laloux and designed by Moebius.

Beautiful story, shaky animation at times, but worth the ride. The music was pretty great too.

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/09/11 at 10:03 am

Pirates of the Carribean, on Stranger Tides is pretty good.  Not sure if I was a fan of the 3-D technology (nothing like How to Train Your Dragon or Avatar), I think that was a waste of money for this movie.  I also missed Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly.  But I did enjoy the movie

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/23/11 at 9:11 pm

Stone concentrates more on the relationship drama than on the LBO world that was the focus of the original, but he makes a decent point: Gordon Gekko was a damn piker compared to the sorts of people who orchestrated things like the demise of Bear Stearns.  

Speaking of the folks who made the characters in Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps look like pikers...

uj4QrAcwVi0

Here's the trailer for the movie that Stone should have made.  It's called Margin Call, it came out this weekend, and it's a must-see for anyone wondering how we got into this mess.

"There are three ways to make a living in this business: be first, be smarter, or cheat."

If it's not playing in a theater near you, it's available on iTunes for less than what it would cost you to see it if it was playing in a theater near you.

Written By: Tam on 10/24/11 at 12:00 am

It IS crap isn't it!

Have you watched Persuasion yet?

Sorry so late Gis. Yeesh - a year late!

I own persuasion - the one you told me to buy! ;)
And I quite enjoy it.
I picture Wentworth younger than Hinds - but I think Hinds did a great job with the character.
And Amanda Root - she is brilliant.

I have also finished reading Jane Eyre and it seems Amanda plays Miss Temple so I am going to go in search of it! 8)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/05/11 at 3:23 pm

My girlfriend and I saw The Muppets this weekend, and we both loved it.

I've been a huge Muppets fan since childhood and I was a bit concerned as to how faithful this reboot would be to the spirit of the original Muppet Show, but I am happy to say that they really nailed it.

If you grew up loving the Muppets then you'll definitely love The Muppets.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...