» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Do presidential elections change pop culture?

Written By: Sweet Illest Baby on 10/15/08 at 11:47 pm

I'm not sure about this. I think they do because people reflect on the past 4-8 years and see how they can make things better.

If a similar candidate is elected, it seems to make the next 4 years similar to the previous 4 years. For example, if Reagan lost in 1984, the late 80s would probably be a lot different than they were. Bush getting reelected made 2005-2008 a lot like 2001-2004 because people felt no need to retrospect what was going to continue.

Now in 2008, with the likelihood of Obama getting elected, people are reflecting on the past 8 years, and in my opinion, that will make the culture of the 2000s turn into the culture of the 2010s. If McCain wins, you can expect another 4 years of 2008. Sorry to get this too political, but I think elections cause cultural change, and this includes pop culture.

Subject: Re: Do presidential elections change pop culture?

Written By: snozberries on 10/16/08 at 12:14 am

Sorry to get this too political, but I think elections cause cultural change, and this includes pop culture.

Too political?  Its not political at all...what it is decadeology.  No matter who wins "the culture of the 2000s turn into the culture of the 2010s" because that is the nature of time marching on...

If Johnson hadn't been Pres the late 60s would've looked like the early 60s and if Nixon hadn't had Watergate the 70s would've looked like the early 80s  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...