» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Who has been the greatest live act ever?

Written By: Mudbug on 10/20/08 at 3:24 pm

Who has been the greatest live act ever?

The Stones, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, Queen, Pink Floyd, The Who, Bowie, Nirvana or someone else?

This Day in Music have just started a poll to find out. If you fancy voting for who you think should win go to http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

You can vote for any act, just go to 'other' on the list.

Subject: Re: Who has been the greatest live act ever?

Written By: gibbo on 10/21/08 at 3:52 am

I think the Eagles really deliver what their audience wants on stage. Their harmonies live are near perfect...even now when they are much older.

Bruce Springsteen gave the biggest 'charge' at a show I ever been to....he is electric and this really permeates through the crowd and makes for  a truly great concert experience.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/21/08 at 3:05 pm

*pointing down at my siggy*

You ever heard a Michael Jackson crowd scream? It'd rate on the Richter scale.  :o And they scream from the first note until Mike ends the show 2 hours later. I've seen people faint before he even starts singing.  Now THAT is what I call magnetic and supercharged. I've sene him just stand there and people drop out for dead before he even starts singing. Then it's madd hysteria for the rest of the show.

The fans are throwing it to Michael and while he's performing, he's tossing it back. It's never ending cycle.  ;D Incredible.

Written By: gibbo on 10/21/08 at 4:18 pm

*pointing down at my siggy*

You ever heard a Michael Jackson crowd scream? It'd rate on the Richter scale.  :o And they scream from the first note until Mike ends the show 2 hours later. I've seen people faint before he even starts singing.  Now THAT is what I call magnetic and supercharged. I've sene him just stand there and people drop out for dead before he even starts singing. Then it's madd hysteria for the rest of the show.

The fans are throwing it to Michael and while he's performing, he's tossing it back. It's never ending cycle.  ;D Incredible.

Unfortunately, MJ gave the most disappointing concert I have been to....I guess I just expected more!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/21/08 at 5:47 pm

What concert were you at?  :(

He was off his game in 2002, but he got it back.  ;)

Written By: gibbo on 10/22/08 at 2:19 am

What concert were you at?  :(

He was off his game in 2002, but he got it back.  ;)

I don't really recall exactly .......it was late 80's or early 90's I think (in Brisbane, Australia). Can't really find anything on it and I didn't buy the program....

Written By: karen on 10/22/08 at 11:35 am

Unfortunately, MJ gave the most disappointing concert I have been to....I guess I just expected more!

Me too.  I was in Southern France in 1987 or 88 on holiday.  We spotted an advert for the concert the next day and couldn't believe tickets were still available.  They'd been sold out the first day in the UK.  Anyway we bought tickets, went to stand in a half full (if that) outdoor stadium for an indifferent concert.  And were glad we hadn't paid that much for the tickets

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/22/08 at 4:19 pm

I don't know what concerts y'all saw, but I have a concert from Brsibane, Austrailia from the Bad World Tour and I thought it was amazing and fantastic. Michael was in rare form to me.

But I respect your opinion. You are entitled to it.  :)

But I'd have been the kid at the show in the full Thriller get up, dancing and singing to EVERY tune.  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 10/22/08 at 6:35 pm

I don't know what concerts y'all saw, but I have a concert from Brsibane, Austrailia from the Bad World Tour and I thought it was amazing and fantastic. Michael was in rare form to me.

But I respect your opinion. You are entitled to it.  :)

But I'd have been the kid at the show in the full Thriller get up, dancing and singing to EVERY tune.  ;D

What year was that concert in Brisbane?  I guess I find that singers who expend a lot of energy on satge dancing as well lose vocal quality. If the Eagles moved around THAT much they wouldn't have breath enough to sing with great quality either. I think THAT'S where it was disappointing for me.....I like great vocal quality. Jackson had a good concert but not a GREAT concert.

I am not a great Springsteen fan but he created the best concert atmosphere I have experienced......no dancing ...just great scene setting (story telling) prior to each song and then delivered huge energy playing and singing those songs. It was pouring rain and the concert (outdoors) went ahead and he played mostly standing in the rain. The electricity at that concert has not been matched....as yet (that was in 1985).

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/22/08 at 6:49 pm

The Brisbane concert I have is from 1987. (I think in November()

But it was nice. I just can't imagine a Michael Jackson show without the dancing. That's like Prince without a guitar. Liberace without a piano...it just kind of defeats the purpose. But I know that other stars are notable because of certain parts of thier performance. And well, most people know Michael Jackson more for his dance moves than really his vocal ability. He can sing. He can, I've heard him, but you'd have to strap him down to make him NOT dance. Alot of people have strong points. I'd go to Prince for the guitar playing. Prince isn't the best singer by FAR, but he can make a guitar talk when he tries. I mean every one has thier strong point and based on those is why people like them.

:)

Written By: gibbo on 10/22/08 at 8:26 pm

The Brisbane concert I have is from 1987. (I think in November()

But it was nice. I just can't imagine a Michael Jackson show without the dancing. That's like Prince without a guitar. Liberace without a piano...it just kind of defeats the purpose. But I know that other stars are notable because of certain parts of thier performance. And well, most people know Michael Jackson more for his dance moves than really his vocal ability. He can sing. He can, I've heard him, but you'd have to strap him down to make him NOT dance. Alot of people have strong points. I'd go to Prince for the guitar playing. Prince isn't the best singer by FAR, but he can make a guitar talk when he tries. I mean every one has thier strong point and based on those is why people like them.

:)

I absolutely agree with you. It is just so much harder for those artists who are expected to produce both at live performances. As you say, they HAVE to produce both, as that is what they are known for...but they do not have the benefit of splitting the components up as they can with recording and video.

I still enjoyed the experience. I also don't like when artists have well known 'older' hits and choose to address them by doing a quick medley. You don't get all of those hits because they want to do the newer stuff in their entirety (and in MJ's case some of those newer songs were not as good as the older ones.....).

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/24/08 at 5:25 pm

Hi Gibbo!

Thank you for agreeing with me.  ;D (People don't generally agree with me on anything having to do with Michael. I'm a little shocked. ) And so true with the oldies and stuff. Bacisally since i'm familiair with Michael's body of work I can saw, his last 3 major tours (Bad, Dangerous and HIStory) were all what you'd call hit tours because he always did the same songs retty much. There was always Thriller, Billie Jean and Beat It, with the same moves. Not that I hate the hits, I'll be happy to be in a stasium and he sings the phone directory, but I would like to see him change it up a bit. It'd scare the hair off everyone if he went up and sang...maybe something like Tabloid Junkie. Just different.

I think he's safe. And I guess he'd rather see 30 thousand people singing along to Billie Jean than going what the (bleep) if he sings something different.

LOL.

Written By: Tia on 10/25/08 at 12:38 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvieFaevs7s

M
M
W

Written By: MLB on 10/25/08 at 2:25 am

Anyone who thinks he/she/they  is/are worth the 45+dollars charged now for tickets even for way far back from the stage spaces...and not necessarily seats either, but maybe a space to sit in the grass....they had all bring their best game to WOW the crowd. Otherwise, who's gonna come back and see the show next time??  Personallly I've only been to about 4 live shows so I can't complain much about stage presence or theatrics cause it is what it is at the time.
  I thought the thread meant stage entertainers not necessarily music acts in which case I'd say Bob Hope and all the USO/goodwill tours he did ranks as one of the greats.   

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/26/08 at 6:21 pm

I WISH a Michael Jackson ticket was 45 dollars.  :) I'd probably pay that much just to park my car to see him.  ( I don't mind LOL. ) ;D I've never seen Bob Hope perform actually. But my 11th grade English teacher looked JUST like him!  :(

Check for new replies or respond here...