» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Is This Excessive?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/20/08 at 3:59 pm

Hi Everyone!

I have a question to ask, and I hope that none of you find it too peculiar.  :) As some of you may know, I am a fan of classic film actor, James Stewart and usually try to see his filmns as they appear on tv from time to time. (Taping the ones that I liked.)

Earlier this morning, I was sorting through tapes trying to find a movie and I was flat out stunned by how many of Jimmy's movies I had taped and stored away. Here are some the titles:

After The Thin Man--1936
Vivacious Lady--1938 (taped this one sight unseen just because he was in it!)
You Can't Take It With You--1938
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington--1939
The Philidelphia Story--1940
Rope--1948
Harvey--1950 (My Favorite of his films)
Rear Window--1954
Vertigo--1958

(And I've seen many, many more! LOL)

What do you think?  Is this collection a bit too much?  ::) I just know that when I  take a shine to a celebrity, I do like to collect thier work. I just like James because he usually portrayed nicem morally upstanding citizens in his movies. He was everyman and that was just great.  ;D And he was very talented!

I'm placing this thread in "More Than a Decade" because James' carrer did span many decades.

Well, I'd like to have your opinion.

Thank you.  ;)

Subject: Re: Is This Excessive?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/20/08 at 4:21 pm

Just my opinion, but...

If you're gonna collect a collection, Go For It!  :D

(Depending of course on the time and money you have to invest in it.)  If you get an opportunity, it may be worthwhile to see if you can get some of those titles on DVD in addition to or in place of VHS, just for the sake of longevity.

(Hmmm, maybe I'm the wrong person to ask - I've been often accused of pack-rat-ism  ::) )

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/20/08 at 6:20 pm

Hi Americangirl!  ;)

Thanks for the advice. And trust me, I know the "dangers" of going wild with a colletion. You should see me around MJ or Prince stuff.  ::) It's embarrasing. LOL. Ha ha!

Written By: Dagwood on 10/20/08 at 6:43 pm

Doesn't sound excessive to me.  It's only excessive when you start buying movies because you heard Jimmy Stewart may have liked them. :D

Written By: snozberries on 10/21/08 at 1:14 am

Doesn't sound excessive to me.  It's only excessive when you start buying movies because you heard Jimmy Stewart may have liked them. :D

;D

as you may have guessed Tiffeny, I am a collector...okay I'm a borderline hoarder.  ;D

so if you're asking my opinion- that collection seems pretty light to me.... and why don't you have these movies on DVD?

Some the films I like I have on VHS, Laser Disc and DVD.... and I have scripts and photos for them...now that's excessive.  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 10/21/08 at 4:24 am

Jimmy Stewart was one of those rare actors...great on (and off screen). You need MORE Stewart films ...you need The Man Who Knew Too Much, It's A Wonderful Life, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Strategic Air Command, The Greatest Show On Earth, The Glenn Miller Story....and they were just off the top of my head...... ;)

I just bought the final Elvis Presley DVD for my collection.....now I have all 31 of his films (I don't count his concert films).

I say BUY, BUY, BUY!!!!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/21/08 at 2:56 pm

Hi Y'all!

@Snoz:

I don't really know what Jimmy's favorite movie was. I know his favorite of his movies was Harvey. (It's my favorite because it's so gosh-darned cute.) I have Harvey and The Philedelhpia Story on DVD. The rest are on tape. LOL. I do need tp upgrade. The only movie I have a script for is Purple Rain and the only reason I got that, was because the link to it was floating loose around a Prince website. LOL.

@Gibbo: This is going to make you laugh. I've seen EVERY one of those movies you've listed except for tThe Greatest Show on Earth.    ;D i'm actually watching Strateic Air Command on Turner Classic Movies right now! I'd have taped it, but I came in right in the middle of it.  :( It's good though. It's in color and Jimmy had lovely blue eyes.  :)

I didn't know Elvis made 31 pictures! Good lord! All I know is Blue Hawaii, Jailhouse Rock and Roustabout. And I just know a little about him because for a a few mont he was "related" to Michael Jackson! LOL.

Written By: Tia on 10/21/08 at 3:03 pm

you should see my kim richards collection. it's terrifying. :o

Written By: snozberries on 10/21/08 at 8:10 pm

I didn't know Elvis made 31 pictures! Good lord! All I know is Blue Hawaii, Jailhouse Rock and Roustabout. And I just know a little about him because for a a few mont he was "related" to Michael Jackson! LOL.

you should see Girl Happy and Kid Galahad those are my fav Elvis movies...

Written By: gibbo on 10/22/08 at 3:34 am

you should see Girl Happy and Kid Galahad those are my fav Elvis movies...

i guess...Blue Hawaii, GI Blues, Roustabout, Follow That Dream, Kid Galahad, and Flaming Star are my favourites....but even I find it gard to believe that, with movies such as Harum Scarum and Kissing Cousins, he never had a flop!!! He made some shockers....... ;D

Written By: snozberries on 10/22/08 at 11:21 am

i guess...Blue Hawaii, GI Blues, Roustabout, Follow That Dream, Kid Galahad, and Flaming Star are my favourites....but even I find it gard to believe that, with movies such as Harum Scarum and Kissing Cousins, he never had a flop!!! He made some shockers....... ;D

true... I actually have seen one of his movies in 20 years but I remember always liking the two I mentioned.

Check for new replies or respond here...