» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Greatest TV Characters

Written By: whistledog on 10/24/08 at 2:00 am

What are your favourite TV Characters of all time?

Here is a random 10 for me ...

Bernice Clifton (Alice Ghostley) on 'Designing Women'.  She was so out of it, some of the things she did still crack me up.  One episode in particular, she needed to get to the hospital to visit Julia so she called an ambulance, thinking it was like a Taxi service.  When the ambulance arrived, they saw how loopy she was, so they took her along "just in case"

Luther Van Dam (Jerry Van Dyke) on 'Coach'.  Remember when Luther's dog ate Jimmy Johnson's Super Bowl ring?  Or when he ordered a pizza and tried to get in on that 30 minutes or free deal by turning off the lights in his apartment?

Charlie Deats (David Leisure) on 'Empty Nest'.  I still loved the Golden Girls crossover episode where Dorothy dreamt she was a contestant on Jeopardy and her opponents were Rose and Charlie and all the questions were aimed in their expertise:  Saint Olaf and Women.  Charlie was a cruise ship employee, so naturally he had a "love for the sea".  In one episode, he he failed to see the error in his new personalized license plate:  CLOVER

Benson DuBois (Robert Guillaume) on 'SOAP' and 'Benson'.  For his countless wisecracks and jabs at Miss Krause.  On SOAP, whenever the doorbell rang, he would sarcastically say "I s'pose you want ME to get that?" and Jessica would reply "If you DON'T mind!"

Jon Baker (Larry Wilcox) on "CHiPs".  The nicest cop you'll ever meet, but he can be tough when he wants to be.  In Season 1, when he jumped over an electrified road onto a car to save a pregnant woman or In Season 2, when he jumped off the bridge onto a runaway school bus

Wood Newton (Burt Reynolds) on 'Evening Shade'.  Burt plays an aging former NFL star, who took a job as coach of a high school football team with a record losing streak.  He was often bitter, sometimes chipper, but always had the right sarcasm at just the right moment.  Still IMO the greatest ever role for Burt Reynolds

Dick Louden (Bob Newhart) on 'Newhart'.  Dick and his wife Joanna were the only sane people in a town full of morons and crazies, and his sarcasm towards all the things he didn't understand was classic.  Can logic and reasoning solve all the problems in Vermont?  Not in that particular town

Chandler Bing (Matthew Perry) on 'Friends'.  For all his one liners, and emphasis on the wrong words, Chandler Bing holds his place among the funniest TV characters of all time.  This is SO true!

Greg Warner (Anthony Clark) on 'Yes, Dear'.  He's scared of the littlest things, whines too much and always over dramatizes the simplest things.  Remember when he got in a fight with that guy in the Pediatritian's office? What always killed me was when he would reminise about someone as 'Hard Habit to Break' by Chicago was played

Murdoc (Michael Des Barres) on 'MacGyver'.  Just when you thought he was dead, he always came back in a later episode.  The way he "supposedly" died each time made it almost impossible as to how he still survived.  Such episode being the one where he chased MacGyver up the mountain and fell off the cliff at the end.  They kept it consistent being in one episode he still had the face scars from a previous appearance where his face has been burned

Subject: Re: Greatest TV Characters

Written By: snozberries on 10/24/08 at 7:47 am

What are your favourite TV Characters of all time?

Here is a random 10 for me ...

Bernice Clifton (Alice Ghostley) on 'Designing Women'.  She was so out of it, some of the things she did still crack me up.  One episode in particular, she needed to get to the hospital to visit Julia so she called an ambulance, thinking it was like a Taxi service.  When the ambulance arrived, they saw how loopy she was, so they took her along "just in case"

I loved the fact that when she had a couple of belts (of alcohol) she became more lucid.
I loved the episode where she was going to be declared incompetent. 
And when she wore the tree skirt the girls had given her....as an actual skirt.

For me I love, as you can probably guess, really strong women- smart & sassy,

So my all time favs are

Christine Cagney & Mary Beth Lacey  (Cagney & Lacey)

Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Layer Slayer)

Veronica Mars (from VM)

Lorelei Gilmore (Gilmore Girls)

and KC from KC (China Beach)

Written By: gibbo on 10/24/08 at 4:56 pm

Pretty much ALL the main ensemble of M*A*S*H (especially Hawkeye)

Written By: snozberries on 10/24/08 at 5:23 pm

Greg House MD!  House is a great character....brilliantly flawed 

Written By: woops on 10/25/08 at 1:12 pm

every character  from "Married with Children" 8) :D

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/08 at 4:44 pm

every character  from "Married with Children" 8) :D

I almost agree.  I didn't really like Steve Rhoades.  When they wrote him out of the show and brought in Jefferson, the show became better scripted now that Al had a counterpart at his level that he could work off of

Written By: loki 13 on 10/25/08 at 7:19 pm

These are a few of my favorite characters.

Capt. Benjamin Franklin (Hawkeye) Pierce....Alan Alda.....M*A*S*H

Herman Munster.....Fred Gwynne.....The Munsters

Jethro Bodine....Max Baer Jr. .......The Beverly Hillbillies

Charlie Harper.....Charlie Sheen....Two And A Half Men

Abby Sciuto.....Pauley Perrette.....NCIS

Ziva David.....Cote de Pablo.....NCIS

Penny.....Kaley Cuoco.....The Big Bang Theory

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/25/08 at 7:43 pm

Thelma "Mama" Harper--Mama's Family...played by Vicki Lawrence. She never ceases to make me laugh.

David Healy--Roseanne....played by Johnny Galecki. What can I say? I love that boy. :D

Darlene Conner...Roseanne....played by Sara Gilbert. I love this girl....so sarcastic and so like me.

Charles Ingalls...Little House On The Prairie...played by Michael Landon. I loved the character of Charles Ingalls. He was such a good father and husband.

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/25/08 at 7:48 pm

Dexter Morgan  Michael C. Hall (Dexter)
Andy Sipowitz  Dennis Franz ( NYPD Blue)
Vic Mackey  Michael Chiclets ;D (The Shield)
Nate Fisher  Peter Krause ( Six Feet Under)

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/08 at 8:43 pm

Thelma "Mama" Harper--Mama's Family...played by Vicki Lawrence. She never ceases to make me laugh.

The way her temper always flew off the handle just killed me
or her confused stare .. "Well, what the ... ?" lol

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/08 at 11:20 am

Pretty much ALL the main ensemble of M*A*S*H (especially Hawkeye)

I agree.

Also all the characters from WKRP in Cincinnati  & all the characters from Night Court.

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 10/27/08 at 7:12 pm

Also the cast of Happy Days with Richie the C and Fonzie out in front.

Seinfeld also had some excellent cast characters

Written By: Claybricks on 10/27/08 at 7:31 pm

Redd Foxx - Sanford & Son

Dan

Written By: snozberries on 10/28/08 at 1:30 am

Theodore Bagwell- TBag on Prison Break.

Written By: star80 on 10/28/08 at 10:22 pm

Mama on "Mama's Family" played by Vicki Lawrence
Florence on "The Jeffersons" played by Marla Gibbs
JJ on "Good Times" played by Jimmy Walker
Herman on "The Munsters" played by Fred Gwynne
Bill Bixby on "My Favorite Martian" and "The Courtship Of Eddie's Father"
Richard Crenna as Luke on "The Real McCoys"
Granny played by Irene Ryan on "The Beverly Hillbillies" played by Frank Sutton
JR Ewing played by Larry Hagman on "Dallas"
Gomer Pyle played by Jim Nabors on "Gomer Pyle USMC"
Sargeant Carter "Vince" on "Gomer Pyle USMC" played by

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/08 at 11:00 pm

Redd Foxx - Sanford & Son

Dan

You BIG dummy! :D

Written By: Davester on 10/28/08 at 11:16 pm

The greatest or my favorites?  In any case...

Joel Fleishman (Rob Morrow) - Northern Exposure
  "Adam" (Adam Arkin) - Northern Exposure
  Chris Stevens (John Corbett) Northern Exposure
  Maurice Minnifield (Barry Corbin) - Northern Exposure
  "Trapper" John McIntyre (Wayne Rogers) - M.A.S.H.
  Matt Dillon (James Arness) - Gunsmoke
  John "J.D." Dorian (Zach Braff) - Scrubs
  Colleen McMurphy (Dana Delaney) - China Beach
  Sam Malone (Ted Danson) - Cheers
  Diane Chambers (Shelley Long) - Cheers

Written By: whistledog on 11/17/08 at 2:05 am

Here's a few more for me ...

Paul Lassiter (Richard Kind) - Spin City
Remember when Paul appeared as a contestant on 'Who Wants to Be A Millionaire'?  Classic stuff!  Paul knew how to keep the press at bay, but sometimes he would say things he probably shouldn't've

Mayor Winston (Barry Bostwick) - Spin City
The Mayor runs the city, but in his case not always.  Did he really know what was going on most of the time?  Not really LOL

David Addison (Bruce Willis) - Moonlighting
The way he often quoted or sang little tidbits from classic Motown songs

Dreyfuss (The Dog) - Empty Nest
Sure, Dreyfuss was only a dog, but in a sense he was the star of this show.  Whenever he would get scared, he'd run into the lower cupboard and pull the door closed with his teeth on the handtowel that hung inside.  The best was on 'Golden Girls' when Sophia accidentally lost him, so she bought a replacement dog, Dreyfuss came back and caused confusion that only Rose could solve LOL

Written By: gibbo on 11/17/08 at 5:43 am

J.R. Ewing - Dallas

Check for new replies or respond here...