» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: AC/DC: Black Ice

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/28/08 at 11:10 pm

Admitting you still listen to AC/DC is like being the guy in the office who only dates college girls.  You know the guy -- he keeps getting older, but they're 18-21 forever.

Well, the new AC/DC album is kinda like that.  For 55 minutes, you can see things through his eyes.  It sounds like every AC/DC album released over the past 30 years.  And by the end of the last track, you realize that's a feature, not a bug.

In an interesting twist, the rip that's currently out there is obviously defective in one track (an audible dropout at 2:28 in Track 9), and subtly-defective in a second track (an audiblie glitch 0:32 in Track 11).  If it's a mastering defect on the CD, that really sucks, because it should have been caught in QA.  If it's a clever ploy by RIAA to drum up sales, it worked.  The download was good enough to listen to, but not good enough to keep, especially with the CD coming out so soon.  We'll find out soon enough.

Subject: Re: AC/DC: Black Ice

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/29/08 at 3:19 am

my co-worker just bought the CD and was just showing it to me today. I heard a couple of samples and I wasn't blown away by it. my take is that it must be very hard to write good music 20-30 years later, after you've already wrote and recorded a ton of hits. and then of course the band is touring to promote the new album. as a fan I wanna hear and sing along to those classic AC/DC songs that we all know so well. I heard that they opened a concert with some of the new songs which I think is a blunder. You lose the audience right off the bat because nobody knows the music. McCartney did that at his last American tour on the 2nd song of his show, it was off his new album and we didn't know the song, but I guess the bands all want to sell records. anyways, I like the old sh*t  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/29/08 at 1:42 pm

I saw it advertised on the teevee; the commercial said, "Available at Wal-Mart"!

Badass license officially revoked!
:D

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/30/08 at 9:08 pm

I saw it advertised on the teevee; the commercial said, "Available at Wal-Mart"!

Actually, I think it was "only" or "exclusively" at Wal*Mart, which is even worse.  It's like they're trying to get people to download it instead of buying it.

I wonder if the new GnR album will also be distributed under the same terms?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/08 at 9:19 pm

Actually, I think it was "only" or "exclusively" at Wal*Mart, which is even worse.  It's like they're trying to get people to download it instead of buying it.

Half-price rebate when you send in a photo of you and your mullet!
:P

Written By: Davester on 11/01/08 at 12:43 am

GnR should go with the independent release like NIN Ghost...

Since this is an AC/DC thread I'll say that they haven't release a good album since Flick of the Switch, IMO...

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/08 at 9:40 am

AC/DC are back in a big way.  Currently they have 11 releases in the Canadian Albums chart (numbers in brackets denote current chart position):

Black Ice (#1)
Collector's Crate (#17)
Back in Black (#20)
Live (#27)
Razor's Edge (#43)
Highway to Hell (#52)
High Voltage (#69)
Who Made Who (#78)
Let There Be Rock (#84)
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (#95)
For Those About to Rock We Salute You (#100)

Written By: Davester on 11/01/08 at 11:07 pm

Stick it to the man...get it on vinyl...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/10/08 at 7:08 am

I gotta plan to stick it to the man!
8)

Written By: Davester on 11/10/08 at 10:36 pm

I gotta plan to stick it to the man!
8)

You da man wit da plan..!

Written By: La Roche on 11/11/08 at 1:01 am

GnR should go with the independent release like NIN Ghost...

Pretty much, it looks set to be about the most expensive release ever, no matter what they do they'll stand to lose.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/11/08 at 1:28 am

dude, I stuck it to the band and had a copy of Black Ice burned for me and then I made the mistake of mentioning that to my good buddy who is in a band and is trying to record a hard rock CD. he sides with musicians that don't like people burning or downloading music and he wasn't pleased but we had a good talk about it and I told him that when he records his cd I won't burn a copy of it.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/08 at 6:57 pm

dude, I stuck it to the band and had a copy of Black Ice burned for me and then I made the mistake of mentioning that to my good buddy who is in a band and is trying to record a hard rock CD. he sides with musicians that don't like people burning or downloading music and he wasn't pleased but we had a good talk about it and I told him that when he records his cd I won't burn a copy of it.  ::)

Your friend's fighting a losing battle!  Most of the artists I know don't care because they know they won't make a buck of CD sales anyway.  I keep my rampant copying mum to proprietors of record labels, though they've undoubtedly figured it out!
:P

Written By: Davester on 11/11/08 at 11:10 pm

What I meant was that vinyl isn't part of the Wally promo.  Only CDs...

Fuggem...

Written By: Davester on 11/11/08 at 11:23 pm

Pretty much, it looks set to be about the most expensive release ever, no matter what they do they'll stand to lose.

Yup, it's a circus...

Check for new replies or respond here...