» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Difference between types of slow songs?

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/06/08 at 5:54 pm

This is something that's been floating around in my head for a long time, but I could never find an accurate way to describe it (even though I'm a huge music fan and like to analyze it and stuff).

It's like there's certain slow songs that are still happy and tend to put you in a good, uplifting mood - probably because of how they're produced, like if they still have a pop sound. Yet there's some that come across as sad just by the sound of it, like love songs. I've noticed saxophone or piano ballads or just overly romantic ones tend to be like this, no matter what the lyrics are. Then there's some that kinda could go either way, where if I'm just casually listening to it I like it for being catchy, but if I'm in a depressed or sad mood and I really "get into" the lyrics it can get me emotional too.

Here's some examples (mostly '80s songs) to see if I can explain what I'm saying better.

Happy ballads (more pop styled or lighthearted):
most Lionel Richie ballads, like "Hello" and "Say You Say Me"
Angel - Aerosmith
Man in the Mirror - MJ
Rush Rush - Paula
You're the Inspiration - Chicago
Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins
Drive - the Cars (the lyrics are depressing, but it's got a catchy synthpop production)
Doing it All For My Baby - Huey Lewis (well I guess that's medium tempo)
I Swear - All For One
How Do You Talk to an Angel - Heights

Sad ballads:
Waiting for a Girl Like You - Foreigner (lyrically it's happy, but sounds maudlin)
Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for you - Glenn Mederois
Suddenly - Billy Ocean
Think of Laura - Christopher Cross
Love Is - Vanessa Williams and Brian Mcknight
The Search is Over - Survivor
Seasons Change - Expose
The Lady in Red - Chris Deburgh
I Believe - Blessid Union of Souls

P.S. I guess something like "Another Day in Paradise" by Phil Collins is where I'd say it's kinda in the middle (heck most of his slow songs are like that, catchy but emotional).

Subject: Re: Difference between types of slow songs?

Written By: midnite on 11/10/08 at 9:00 pm

It's like there's certain slow songs that are still happy and tend to put you in a good, uplifting mood - probably because of how they're produced, like if they still have a pop sound. Yet there's some that come across as sad just by the sound of it, like love songs. I've noticed saxophone or piano ballads or just overly romantic ones tend to be like this, no matter what the lyrics are. Then there's some that kinda could go either way, where if I'm just casually listening to it I like it for being catchy, but if I'm in a depressed or sad mood and I really "get into" the lyrics it can get me emotional too.

I think that is a very good observation.  You are a bit analytical with your music.  LOL.   I am no expert, but I think it has to do with "intonation" or "tone."  Kind of like tone of voice when speaking.  For example if you say "what a great day" in a monotone voice, it seems somber or sad.  If you say or yell "what a great day" in a happy, or upbeat voice then it seems cheery.

I think it is the same with music.  The tone of the voice and tempo of the music sets the pace for the "mood" of the song.  Upbeat tempos and vocals are upbeat songs.

An example I can come up with quickly is Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive."  The lyrics are kinda sad, but her version is positive and uplifting.   Cake remade the song in the 90s and the song in a monotone style and the song seems sad.  I still love the Cake version.

Gloria Gaynor     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Cake   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10C68Gzd5GM

Written By: whistledog on 11/10/08 at 9:46 pm

I really only know two types of slow songs:  Good ones and crappy ones LOL

Ever heard the 2004 version of 'Careless Whisper' by 2play featuring Thomas Jules?  Simply dreadful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8EmXhaNnVw

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/13/08 at 6:53 pm

I think that is a very good observation.  You are a bit analytical with your music.  LOL.   I am no expert, but I think it has to do with "intonation" or "tone."  Kind of like tone of voice when speaking.  For example if you say "what a great day" in a monotone voice, it seems somber or sad.  If you say or yell "what a great day" in a happy, or upbeat voice then it seems cheery.

I think it is the same with music.  The tone of the voice and tempo of the music sets the pace for the "mood" of the song.  Upbeat tempos and vocals are upbeat songs.

An example I can come up with quickly is Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive."  The lyrics are kinda sad, but her version is positive and uplifting.   Cake remade the song in the 90s and the song in a monotone style and the song seems sad.  I still love the Cake version.

Gloria Gaynor     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Cake   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10C68Gzd5GM

Thanks man. :) Yeah I do tend to notice little things, and I guess it's interesting to me when something isn't really definable so you have to pick up smaller details.

I never thought of it that way, but I agree with you. Especially since alot of '80s songs in particular were sad, angry or just otherwise dark, but they still sounded catchy and upbeat.

Check for new replies or respond here...