» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Sappiest pop songs of all time

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/24/08 at 2:43 am

May or may not coincide with "Songs that make you cry." 
;)

Here are some of my nominees:

Dan Hill: Sometimes When We Touch*
Bobby Goldsboro: Honey
Bobby Vinton: Blue Velvet
Anne Murray: You Needed Me (R. Goodrum)
Johnny Mathis: Chances Are
Barry Manilow: Can't Smile Without You
Vanessa Williams: Save the Best for Last
Patti Page: (How Much is that Doggie) in the Window? (B. Merrill)
Sonny & Cher: I Got You, Babe
Whitney Houston: The Greatest Love of All
Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson: The Girl is Mine
Elton John: Candle in the Wind
Dooley Wilson: As Time Goes By (H. Hupfeld)**
Rodgers & Hart: The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
Rodgers & Hammerstein: Sixteen Going on Seventeen
Debby Boone: You Light Up My Life
Erausre: Man in the Moon
The Waterboys: The Whole of the Moon
Wham: Careless Whispers
Simon & Garfunkel: 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)
The Archies: Sugar Sugar (Kim/Kim)
Elton John & Kiki Dee: Don't Go Breaking My Heart

*No decade beat the '70s for sappiness, and this song is THE sappiest of all sappy songs from the beginning of time!
**aka the song from "Casablanca," recorded by scores of singers

Subject: Re: Sappiest pop songs of all time

Written By: gibbo on 11/24/08 at 4:03 am

I agree with most of your list and, unfortunately for me, liked many of those songs.... :-[ 

I would add ....

I Just Called To Say I Love You - Stevie Wonder
Lady In Red - Chris De Burgh  8-P

Written By: mooster on 11/24/08 at 4:11 am

"Honey" tops my list  8-P 8-P 8-P ....with "Lady In Red", a close second  ::)

I will add:

Hello - Lionel Richie
The Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler
Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast - Wayne Newton

I'm sure I will think of more  ;D

Written By: Paul on 11/24/08 at 7:59 am

Anything by Whitney, Mariah, or any other 'clones' of this pair... :P

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/24/08 at 10:30 am

All of the above plus:

Everything I Do, I Do It For You (or whatever) by Bryan Adams  8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/08 at 10:34 am

Three Times A Lady ~ The Commodores

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/24/08 at 10:37 am

Don't forget --

Christopher Cross: Think of Laura
Terry Jacks: Seasons in the Sun
Elton John: I Guess that's Why they Call it The Blues

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/08 at 10:38 am

^ do forget?

Lady In Red ~ Chris De Burgh

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/24/08 at 10:45 am

^ do forget?

Lady In Red ~ Chris De Burgh

OK, that's two votes for "Lady in Red"!

Michael Jackson: Ben
Olivia Newton John: I Honestly Love You
Backstreet Boys: I Want it That Way
Journey: Faithfully
Depeche Mode: Somebody

Written By: woops on 11/24/08 at 11:34 am

Anything from Air Supply, Barry Manilow, Barbra Streisand, Celine Dion, Michael Bolton, majority of Lionel Richie's solo career,  and Journey  8-P

One song from the 70's that haven't yet been mentioned is "Loving You"  8-P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/08 at 6:35 pm

What? No one said Feelings? That one should be on Jukebox from Hell.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/08 at 6:38 pm

What? No one said Feelings? That one should be on Jukebox from Hell.

Cat
I was getting there!

Written By: whistledog on 11/24/08 at 7:49 pm

One song from the 70's that haven't yet been mentioned is "Loving You"  8-P

I will definately agree with that one.  That song makes me want to stab myself

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/24/08 at 8:34 pm

I will definately agree with that one.  That song makes me want to stab myself

I found it 'cringe-worthy' at the time ... but now (?) ... a little more bearable. She certainly shows off her vocal range on that one.

Gotta say ... I like many of the songs on Max's list ... and as for Air Supply .. I like their stuff ... so there !    :P    ;D

P.S. Once again ... I DO like 'Feelings' ... but we've been down THAT road, before !    ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/08 at 5:22 am

I Made It Through The Rain ~ Barry Manilow

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/08 at 11:52 am

Changes ~ Ozzy And Kelly Osbourne

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/25/08 at 4:41 pm

My list was quite incomplete and quite '70s biased.  Even so, how could I forget about Air Supply?

Of course, with some artists, such as Air Supply, Manilow, and O.N.J, all their songs are sappy.  Of the Air Supply hits, I'd say
"All Out of Love" is the sappiest.

BTW, I included Patti Page's "Doggie in the Window" because sappy doesn't just apply to sentimental; it also applies to cutesy, from Deniece Williams' "Let's Hear it for the Boy" to  Sheb Wooley's "Purple People Eater," the latter was covered by Alvin and the Chipmunks, which brings us to a whole new level of sappiness!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/grommit.gif

Written By: Paul on 11/25/08 at 4:53 pm

There was a CD issued some years back which contained a fair amount of sickly pap...

It was called '70's Party Killers', which should give you some idea of its contents...

Seeing as I have the track listing to hand, enjoy!

'Tie a Yellow Ribbon' - Tony Orlando & Dawn
'The Night Chicago Died' - Paper Lace
'Billy Don't Be A Hero' - Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods
'(You're) Having My Baby' - Paul Anka & Odia Coates
'Playground In My Mind' - Clint Holmes
'Feelings' - Morris Albert
'Sometimes When We Touch' - Dan Hill
'The Candy Man' - Sammy Davis Jr
'Afternoon Delight' - Starland Vocal Band
'Torn Between Two Lovers' - Mary MacGregor
'Escape (The Pina Colada Song)' - Rupert Holmes
'Muskrat Love' - Captain & Tennille

...actually, there's one or two of these that I don't mind at all!  :-[

Written By: woops on 11/25/08 at 4:57 pm

"Can't Live Without Your (Love & Affection)" Nelson

Not only sappy, but one of the weakest hair metal songs ever

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/25/08 at 8:42 pm

My list was quite incomplete and quite '70s biased.  Even so, how could I forget about Air Supply?
Of the Air Supply hits, I'd say
"All Out of Love" is the sappiest.

Now that you mention it ... yes .. . I guess I have to agree with you on that one. Goes on a bit too long / the endless repeating of the title ...

The song has it's moments... but they definitely had better. Lost in love .. possibly their best ? (Repeated too, but less of a hand waving over the head song  8-P  .... more of a ballad  (very pretty too) .  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/25/08 at 11:37 pm

Now that you mention it ... yes .. . I guess I have to agree with you on that one. Goes on a bit too long / the endless repeating of the title ...

The song has it's moments... but they definitely had better. Lost in love .. possibly their best ? (Repeated too, but less of a hand waving over the head song  8-P   .... more of a ballad  (very pretty too) .  8)

And don't forget:
Mr. Mister: Broken Wings
;)

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/25/08 at 11:40 pm

Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone) - Cinderella

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/25/08 at 11:44 pm

And don't forget:
Mr. Mister: Broken Wings
;)

Thanks Max  :)  ... I DO like THAT song a lot ... have even sung it a number of times at Karaoke's  ... although it is SOMETHING of a come down ... when I actually took it to No. 1 on BOTH the U. S. AND U. K. chart's !

Oh, well, ... every dog has his day in the sun ?    :(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/26/08 at 2:20 am

This song is very sappy, but I like it  ::)  Lobo - I'd Love You to Want Me

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/26/08 at 2:31 am

This song is very sappy, but I like it  ::)   Lobo - I'd Love You to Want Me

He (real name, Kent LaVoie)  charted twice in the UK ..... two top tenners .... 1) 'Me and you and a dog named Boo' ... in 1971 .. got to #4, 14 weeks on chart ... and his other entry ... 2) 'I'd love you to want me' (in 1974)  ... #5, 11 weeks on chart.

'Boo' ... I like ... but the song I perhaps most highly regard of his ... was from 1973 .. not a UK 'charter' ... but it reached US #8  ....... 'Don't expect me to be your friend' .

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/26/08 at 2:39 am

He (real name, Kent LaVoie)  charted twice in the UK ..... two top tenners .... 1) 'Me and you and a dog named Boo' ... in 1971 .. got to #4, 14 weeks on chart ... and his other entry ... 2) 'I'd love you to want me' (in 1974)  ... #5, 11 weeks on chart.

'Boo' ... I like ... but the song I perhaps most highly regard of his ... was from 1973 .. not a UK 'charter' ... but it reached US #8  ....... 'Don't expect me to be your friend' .
I'll have to give that one a listen ^      so two top tenner's, that's not bad.  we were only teenagers at the time,  man it seems so long ago  ::)

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/26/08 at 2:49 am

I'll have to give that one a listen ^       so two top tenner's, that's not bad.  we were only teenagers at the time,  man it seems so long ago  ::)

I'm surprised ..you don't seem to know that one, Mike ?

I was living in the Chicago area, in '74 ... so that one was still getting a lot of airplay. There was a girl I had the hots for  ... obsessed over ... wanted so much to make my girlfriend (I was still a virgin, at 19 ). Kissed her at a party ... it was maybe the first time I ever kissed a girl ? ... It was AWESOME to me.

When I'd hear that Lobo song 'Don't expect me to be your friend' ... (lyrics 'I love you too much, to ever start liking you'  ..... 'that's when I feel the walls start crashing in'  ) ... hey .. it's a SAD song  .... well ... coupled with my dope smoking ... I'd get REALLY bummed out.

We never DID become an item ... but the following year ... I DID manage to find a girlfriend ... although I think I lost my virginity late '74  ... with a girl who went on to introduce me TO her.

Anyway, that was just one ... of a number of sad songs, I'd brood over.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/26/08 at 2:52 am

I was living in the Chicago area, in '74 ... so that one was still getting a lot of airplay. There was a girl I had the hots for  ... obsessed over ... wanted so much to make my girlfriend (I was still a virgin, at 19 ). Kissed her at a party ... it was maybe the first time I ever kissed a girl ? ... It was AWESOME to me.

When I'd hear that Lobo song 'Don't expect me to be your friend' ... (lyrics 'I love you too much, to ever start liking you'  ..... 'that's when I feel the walls start crashing in'  ) ... hey .. it's a SAD song  .... well ... coupled with my dope smoking ... I'd get REALLY bummed out.

We never DID become an item ... but the following year ... I DID manage to find a girlfriend ... although I think I lost my virginity late '74  ... with a girl who went on to introduce me TO her.

Anyway, that was just one ... of a number of sad songs, I'd brood over.
I'm drawing a total blank on it, but hopefully I'll recall it once i hear it. sounds like our teen years were very similar Al.  good times bro... good times and I do remember certain chicks I had crushes on when I hear some of these good old songs of the early 70's 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/26/08 at 3:02 am

When I'd hear that Lobo song 'Don't expect me to be your friend' ... (lyrics 'I love you too much, to ever start liking you'  ..... 'that's when I feel the walls start crashing in'  ) ... hey .. it's a SAD song  .... Anyway, that was just one ... of a number of sad songs, I'd brood over.
I just listened to it and I guess it either didn't get much airplay here or those were the days I listened to nuthin but Zeppelin.  that song kinda reminded me of Bread

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/08 at 3:04 am

Love Me Love My Dog ~  Peter Shelley

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/26/08 at 3:10 am

I just listened to it and I guess it either didn't get much airplay here or those were the days I listened to nuthin but Zeppelin.  that song kinda reminded me of Bread

I suspect it's the latter. Comparisons with Bread .........     8)

It's hard to think of a song of theirs .... . I do NOT like !  Maybe only 'It don't matter to me' .... coz  it DOES 'matter to me'.  I'm not the sort who can just let a girl jump in bed with every guy she might like  to try out along the way whilst she's  'searching'   ::)   .... after she's already BEEN my girlfriend  .........    ???    ???

I was at a David Gates concert a few years back ... and even he said ... he must've been naive when he wrote that one. In fact ...he did not sing it at the concert  ... about the only one he DIDN'T !

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/26/08 at 3:12 am

I suspect it's the latter. Comparisons with Bread .........     8)

It's hard to think of a song of theirs .... . I do NOT like !  Maybe only 'It don't matter to me' .... coz  it DOES 'matter to me'.  I'm not the sort who can just let a girl jump in bed with every guy she might to try out along the way whilst she's  'searching'   ::)   .... after she's already BEEN my girlfriend  .........    ???    ???

I was at a David Gates concert a few years back ... and even he said ... he must've been naive when he wrote that one. In fact ...he did not sing it at the concert  ... about the only one he DIDN'T !
was the David Gates concert good? man. I like Bread too. of course, that music was right there during our impressionable high school experience

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/26/08 at 3:20 am

was the David Gates concert good? man. I like Bread too. of course, that music was right there during our impressionable high school experience

It was excellent Mike. I attended with a girl .. who was quite gifted in the mammary department. Just a date for the night. Perhaps if she lived closer ... things might have developed between her and I .. but .... NOTHING happened.

Anyway ... she cried on one of the songs ... reminded her of her recently departed Dad, I seem to recall ?

He was in fine voice .. so ... even though maybe none of the others were 'Bread' members .. not sure  (his backing band )  ... being the VOICE of Bread .. the ESSENTIAL component ... it might as well have been them.

Glad I went.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/29/08 at 12:19 am

Thanks Max   :)   ... I DO like THAT song a lot ... have even sung it a number of times at Karaoke's  ... although it is SOMETHING of a come down ... when I actually took it to No. 1 on BOTH the U. S. AND U. K. chart's !

Oh, well, ... every dog has his day in the sun ?    :(

So do I.  I like plenty of sappy pop songs and I like them both with and without irony.  In fact, I've been the object of ridicule many times for liking certain songs (such as Wham "Careless Whisper" or David Bowie's "Absolute Beginners" or "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables).  Either a song clicks with me, or it doesn't.  If it does, cynics can call it candyass all they want, and I'm still gonna like it.  Therefore, I try not to ridicule others for what they like.  I might in fun, but I don't judge a person's character that way.  Usually when somebody disses an entire genre out of hand, such as disco or showtunes, it indicates they don't have much of a musical palate.  While I generally dislike disco and showtunes, I'm still open to liking certain songs from either genre. 

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/29/08 at 12:37 am

Usually when somebody disses an entire genre out of hand, such as disco or showtunes, it indicates they don't have much of a musical palate.  While I generally dislike disco and showtunes, I'm still open to liking certain songs from either genre. 

I believe my 'musical palate' ... is REASONABLY broad    :-\\  ... but when it comes to 'punk'  8-P    .... unless it's been mixed with some great hook from a classic song ..... got a great hook in there ... e.g 'Coolio-fied' .... as in 'Gangsta's Paradise'  .... or got that 'Africa' hook etc; .. well, I can't be bothered to hear what they're getting all pissed off about, in the lyrics !  :P                                      :D  ;D

Written By: woops on 12/20/08 at 1:08 pm

"Sweet Love" Anita Baker  8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/26/08 at 10:41 pm

Little Anthony & the Imperials: Tears on my Pillow

Written By: gibbo on 12/27/08 at 3:35 am

Sugartown - Nancy Sinatra

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/27/08 at 5:17 pm

The Chordettes: Lollipop

Written By: ADH13 on 12/28/08 at 12:51 am

I usually like sappy... that said..

I Swear - All 4 One
At This Moment - Billy Vera
Are You Lonesome Tonight - Elvis Presley
My Eyes Adored You - Frankie Valli
Because I Love You - Stevie B
Right Here Waiting - Richard Marx

Written By: Mushroom on 12/28/08 at 1:12 am

Blue Swede:  Hooked On A Feeling
Mary McGregor:  Torn Between Two Lovers
Michael Martin Murphy:  Wildfire (and the reason you can't "Goggle" my name)
David Soul:  Don't Give Up On Us Baby
Eric Carmen:  All By Myself

And of course:

Morris Albert:  Feelings

Can it get any worse then this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e06uiWVvMs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nfAejVHrto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gr_hH_5pIo

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/30/08 at 11:11 pm

Key Largo by Bernie Higgins

Islands in the Stream by Kenny Rodgers and Dolly Parton

Fernando by ABBA

Anything by Bread

Those Were The Days by Mary Hopkins.

Written By: Frank on 02/08/09 at 8:12 pm

If you go away -Terry Jacks
Song sung blue -Diamond
Without you -Nillson
Alone again, naturally - O'Sullivan
Clair

Betcha by golly, wow  -stylistics
Last song (Edward Bear)

Written By: Satish on 02/09/09 at 8:15 pm

Breathe- "Hands to Heaven"(1988)
Erasure-"Stay With Me"(1995)
Bob Carlisle-"Butterfly Kisses"(1997)

Written By: Midas on 02/10/09 at 10:03 am

"Rush, Rush" - Paula Abdul
"Always" - Erasure
"Only You" - Yaz(oo)

Written By: Tam on 02/10/09 at 1:48 pm

In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel - although I love this song, it is definitely sappy.

God must have spent a little more time on you - N*Sync

I drive myself crazy - N*Sync

I know I can find more - I will just have to put itunes on shuffle ;)

Written By: Tam on 02/10/09 at 2:12 pm

Eternal Flame - The Bangles

How Deep is your Love - The Bee Gees

Water Runs Dry -
I'll make love to you  - Boys II Men

Have you ever - Brandy

Drops of Jupiter - Train

Unbreak my Heart - Toni Braxton

Fall for you - Secondhand Serenade

Blurry - Puddle of Mud

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/10/09 at 2:30 pm

Erasure-"Stay With Me"(1995)

Erasure: Reunion (1985)
Erasure: If I Could (1987)
Erasure: When I Needed You (1987)
Erasure: Take a Chance on Me (1992) (ABBA cover)
Erasure: The Man in the Moon (1994)
Erasure: I Love You (1995)
Erasure: Save Me Darling (1997)

OK, I'll take a break from the Erasure sap...

How about:

Book of Love: With a Little Love (1988)

A Flock of Seagulls: A Whole Lot of Loving (1986)

Written By: gibbo on 02/11/09 at 3:38 am

Dr Hook's...

A Little Bit More  ....you know the one "When your bodies had enough of me.....etc etc" ::)

When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman

If not You (than who?)

Of course, I actually like these sappy songs...... ;) ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/09 at 5:17 am

Dr Hook's...

When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman

It's hard!

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/11/09 at 3:08 pm

You know Against All Odds by Phil Collins?

You can't find more mawkish than that one and i admit...i love it :-[

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/09 at 3:29 pm

May or may not coincide with "Songs that make you cry." 
;)

Here are some of my nominees:

Dan Hill: Sometimes When We Touch*

I HATE this song.

I actually become filled with rage at the mere mention of it. 

Written By: Midas on 02/11/09 at 3:35 pm

I HATE this song.

Why?  Is the honesty too much?  :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/12/09 at 7:43 pm

http://i43.tinypic.com/2z5sk1l.jpg

Written By: Satish on 02/12/09 at 9:38 pm

;D ;D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/14/09 at 3:22 am

I HATE this song.

That's the real reason why we can't close Gitmo.  They used to play "Sometimes When We Touch" over and over to try and get the prisoners to talk.  Now they're ALL out for blood!!!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/angry5.gif

Written By: Satish on 02/14/09 at 6:11 pm

Mr. Big- "To Be With You"(1992)
Genesis- "Hold On My Heart"(1992)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/15/09 at 12:32 am

Michelle -- The Beatles

Check for new replies or respond here...