» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated 1966)

Written By: snozberries on 12/02/08 at 2:47 pm

I know the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas animated special was made in 1966 and should technically be posted in the Before the 70s thread

But it has been around forever and everyone remembers it from their decade so I am posting this in the More than a Decade thread.

I just watched this last night on  ABC and noticed something for the first time.... 

How the Grinch Stole Christmas is religious propaganda  :o 

How could I have missed this? Especially when that religious cult  the whos form a circle and raise a light up to the heavens.....

Whatever you do don't drink the who koolaid!  ;)

Subject: Re: How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated 1966)

Written By: woops on 12/02/08 at 3:14 pm

It's a good special.

For those that don't know, it's directed by Chuck Jones, who also directed countless classic Looney Tunes like "Duck Amuck", "What's Opera Doc?", "Bugs Bunny & The Three Bears", and created the Coyote & Road Runner. He and Theodore Giessel (sp) actually have worked together during WWII on the Private Snafu cartoons, which were made for the army.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/02/08 at 3:24 pm

Yep, it's religious propaganda sly enough not to mention the word Jesus.  At least with some it was a Christmas story and you were to expect a religious theme.  Those I don't mind.

Oh and pass up the Roast Beast too. :P

Written By: snozberries on 12/02/08 at 6:19 pm

good point

Written By: Jessica on 12/02/08 at 7:10 pm

The book was better.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/02/08 at 8:19 pm

Being a Catholic School Survivor I noticed the religious overtone right off, but it was the 60's an the
PC police weren't in existence yet. I thought the overtone was very subtle though, not really showing
up until the end with the rising star and this narration.

"He puzzled and puzzled till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!
Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more!"

I also thought it was more of a, family makes Christmas not material things, that thought comes from this narration.

"Welcome, Christmas, bring your cheer. Cheer to all Whos far and near. Christmas Day is in our grasp so long as
we have hands to clasp. Christmas Day will always be just as long as we have we. Welcome Christmas while we stand,
heart to heart and hand in hand."

Religious propaganda or not, it is still my all time favorite Christmas Special.

Written By: snozberries on 12/02/08 at 8:30 pm

I've seen it a few times over the years... albeit not every year and I always got the whole there's more to christmas than material possessions but like you I was looking at as family, love, and caring.  I honestly don't remember that scene where they form a circle, create a light and send it up to the heavens...

I too am a survivor of Catholic School.  As a matter fact my experience is the reason I have no faith in faith.  ;D  so I used to try hard to avoid all things religious I probably blanked out the whole thing and now that I have embraced my love pointing out the flaws in religion I opened myself up to "message" in this special  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/08 at 10:08 pm

♪ You're a mean one Mr. Grinch ♫

A great Christmas classic.  You know what The Grinch always makes me think of?  In 'Home Alone 2: Lost in New York' when Kevin is watching it in the back of the limo, and the camera cuts to the Concierge (Tim Curry) who has a grin on his face that looks exactly like The Grinch LOL

Written By: Davester on 12/03/08 at 6:17 pm

The thinly veiled theology was probably backlash against the hippie movement, and don't ask me to explain that...

Roast beast is from The Grinch?  So that's where I picked it up.  Man, sometimes I say that...

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/08 at 6:18 pm

the roast beast still has its tail    ;D

Written By: Big Nasty on 01/02/09 at 10:37 pm

I know the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas animated special was made in 1966 and should technically be posted in the Before the 70s thread

But it has been around forever and everyone remembers it from their decade so I am posting this in the More than a Decade thread.

I just watched this last night on  ABC and noticed something for the first time.... 

How the Grinch Stole Christmas is religious propaganda  :o   

How could I have missed this? Especially when that religious cult  the whos form a circle and raise a light up to the heavens.....

Whatever you do don't drink the who koolaid!  ;)

Now this is a funny way to look at it. Thanks for opening my eyes to this...I will not drink the Who Kool Aid Sam I am

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/09 at 12:41 pm

Now this is a funny way to look at it. Thanks for opening my eyes to this...I will not drink the Who Kool Aid Sam I am

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...