» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Favorite Kubrick film

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/08 at 3:44 am

There are three films I've never heard of so I included them as other.  They are very early films for him

# Day of the Fight (1951)
# The Seafarers (1953)
# Fear and Desire (1953)

If you've seen them let me know how they were.

There are 4 films of his I really like....

The Killing
Paths of Glory
Lolita
Full Metal Jacket.

But the question is what is your favorite  Kubrick film...so you can only pick one  ;)

I pick Full Metal Jacket  8)

Subject: Re: Favorite Kubrick film

Written By: danootaandme on 12/03/08 at 7:41 am

Gotta say I am not a big Kubrick fan.  I don't much like any of those films

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/08 at 8:21 am

I am a Kubrick fan, and I even have a friend whose father worked on The Shining.

I still not have seen the three early film/documentries, but believe are available on DVD.

I fear the worse for Eyes Wide Shut, that has been regarded as one of his not the best. All his others I like especially Full Metal Jacket and Barry Lyndon.

Written By: Hoagies With Myles on 12/03/08 at 11:00 am

I went with 'A Clockwork Orange' but it really depends on what mood I'm in. They're all so good. I still haven't seen Eyes Wide Shut I'm ashamed to say.

Thanks for the three titles too. I need to look them up. I've never heard of them.

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/03/08 at 1:22 pm

Gotta say I am not a big Kubrick fan.  I don't much like any of those films

High five!!!

I hate all he's done 8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/03/08 at 1:29 pm

I love them all, so I had to think about which is my favorite.  I was split between "The Shining" and "A Clockwork Orange," but "Dr. Strangelove" beats them both by a nose!
http://blog.oregonlive.com/pilots/2008/02/large_bradley-clock-talking-strangelove.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/08 at 1:40 pm

High five!!!

I hate all he's done 8-P

I hated 2001, Clockwork, Killers Kiss, the shining and Dr Strangelove

I still haven't see Spartacus or Eyes Wide Shut

I am indifferent on Barry Lydon. I can appreciate the artistry but I don't care if I ever see it again.

I thought Lolita was brilliant.  It was witty both in the writing and in the way he structured the shots.  The double entendre in that film is hilarious.... and brilliant.

Paths of Glory is one of the best war movies I've ever seen

The Killing was a great heist film I love heist films

Full Metal Jacket is one of the most quotable films ever made!  ;D  
"Did your parents have any kids that lived?"
"Sir! Yes! Sir!"
"Your're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece! What's your name fatbody?"
"Leonard Lawrence, sir!"
"Lawrence what? Of Arabia? That name sounds like royalty; you royalty numbnuts?"

;D ;D ;D   and all that was typed free hand without looking it up... I can recite 90+% of the lines from the Boot camp section.

There are two distinct sections of the film Boot Camp and "Vietnam"  I say "Vietnam" Because the film was shot in Englandand as great as the film was.... flying in 20 palm trees does not transform the UK into Vietnam.  I actually consider them two films. Sometimes I will only watch the boot camp portion.  I've probably watched the boot camp part about 40 times and the film as a whole (with vietnam section) only 10 times.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/08 at 1:45 pm

There are two distinct sections of the film Boot Camp and "Vietnam"  I say "Vietnam" Because the film was shot in Englandand as great as the film was.... flying in 20 palm trees does not transform the UK into Vietnam.  I actually consider them two films. Sometimes I will only watch the boot camp portion.  I've probably watched the boot camp part about 40 times and the film as a whole (with vietnam section) only 10 times.

The Vietnam locations shot in London were at Beckton at a derilict gas works, now demolished. I made a trip out there to see what could still be seen, but the building have all gone now.

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/08 at 1:49 pm

The Vietnam locations shot in London were at Beckton at a derilict gas works, now demolished. I made a trip out there to see what could still be seen, but the building have all gone now.

that's too bad.... that lame attempt at a transformation is my only complaint with the film.

I get he was afraid to fly but he could've tried harder to make it look like 'nam

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/08 at 1:50 pm

that's too bad.... that lame attempt at a transformation is my only complaint with the film.
It worked well for me, but the sniper enhances the tension.

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/08 at 2:02 pm

It worked well for me, but the sniper enhances the tension.

by the time they get to the sniper I am no longer annoyed... mostly its on the march through "vietnam" when you look and there are only 20 trees in the "jungle"  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/08 at 2:04 pm

by the time they get to the sniper I am no longer annoyed... mostly its on the march through "vietnam" when you look and there are only 20 trees in the "jungle"  ;D

Yes, the trees do look artifical

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/08 at 2:05 pm

Yes, the trees do look artifical
http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Full-Metal-Jacket-ps02.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/08 at 2:07 pm

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Full-Metal-Jacket-ps02.jpg

yes.... yes thank you for the photo... no matter how hard I squint I can't make it look like Viet Nam.... except for that tho0 the movie effing rocked!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/08 at 2:10 pm

yes.... yes thank you for the photo... no matter how hard I squint I can't make it look like Viet Nam.... except for that tho0 the movie effing rocked!

I am still wondering over this scene....

http://www.entertainment-movie-guide.com/images/Full-Metal-Jacket_Stanley-Kubrick_084-1.jpg

Was that shot on true location or again somewhere in the UK.

The Army Camp was shot in Cambridgeshire at a US Army Camp.

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/08 at 2:13 pm

I am still wondering over this scene....

http://www.entertainment-movie-guide.com/images/Full-Metal-Jacket_Stanley-Kubrick_084-1.jpg

Was that shot on true location or again somewhere in the UK.

The Army Camp was shot in Cambridgeshire at a US Army Camp.

it was shot in the UK they just did better with the city scenes... the billboards helped make it look more authentic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/08 at 2:17 pm

it was shot in the UK they just did better with the city scenes... the billboards helped make it look more authentic.
That is it, it looks real, (and after looking it up) imdb has it as the Isle of Dogs, another area of East London.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/08 at 2:18 pm

From wiki...

Kubrick had a plastic replica jungle flown in from California but once he looked at it was reported to have said, "I don't like it. Get rid of it." The open country is Cliffe marshes, also on the Thames, with 200 imported Spanish palm trees and 100,000 plastic tropical plants from Hong Kong.

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/08 at 2:21 pm

From wiki...

Kubrick had a plastic replica jungle flown in from California but once he looked at it was reported to have said, "I don't like it. Get rid of it." The open country is Cliffe marshes, also on the Thames, with 200 imported Spanish palm trees and 100,000 plastic tropical plants from Hong Kong.

200?  I still looks like 20  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/08 at 2:26 pm

200?  I still looks like 20  ;D
The remainder stuck at the airport?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/08 at 2:29 pm

I hated 2001, Clockwork, Killers Kiss, the shining and Dr Strangelove

I still haven't see Spartacus or Eyes Wide Shut

I am indifferent on Barry Lydon. I can appreciate the artistry but I don't care if I ever see it again.

I thought Lolita was brilliant.  It was witty both in the writing and in the way he structured the shots.  The double entendre in that film is hilarious.... and brilliant.

Paths of Glory is one of the best war movies I've ever seen

The Killing was a great heist film I love heist films

Full Metal Jacket is one of the most quotable films ever made!  ;D  
"Did your parents have any kids that lived?"
"Sir! Yes! Sir!"
"Your're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece! What's your name fatbody?"
"Leonard Lawrence, sir!"
"Lawrence what? Of Arabia? That name sounds like royalty; you royalty numbnuts?"

;D ;D ;D   and all that was typed free hand without looking it up... I can recite 90+% of the lines from the Boot camp section.

The script to the film Full Metal Jacket can be read here

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/08 at 2:32 pm

I get he was afraid to fly but he could've tried harder to make it look like 'nam
From http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tom.ingham/WebSite/FMJPAGE.htm

"Only one shot of Full Metal Jacket was taken outside of England, the stock footage of Parris Island was used for the passing out parade.

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/03/08 at 3:55 pm

Who's he? ;D

I've actually seen:
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
and
Eyes Wide Shut

I didn't really like any of those  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/08 at 4:43 pm

Who's he? ;D

I've actually seen:
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
and
Eyes Wide Shut

I didn't really like any of those  :-\\

;D

you might like Lolita if you don't mind b&w movies.

Written By: Haman on 12/03/08 at 6:00 pm

I voted for The Shining.

2001: A Space Odyssey would come second.

Written By: Davester on 12/03/08 at 6:39 pm

Spartacus, hands down...

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/03/08 at 9:28 pm

I liked Lolita the best. It was just a strange movie that it really just stood out for me. With the Shining as a close second. Made me scared of hotels as a kid. And it was bad because I was in a lot because of beauty pageants. I always expected someone to bash in the door wih an axe in the middle of the night and hack me to bits!  :o

Also Prince's song (Lolita) of the same name is a TIGHT JAM! LOL.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/03/08 at 11:31 pm

I liked Dr. Strangelove, The Shining, and Full Metal Jacket.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/08 at 3:15 am

Spartacus, hands down...
Spartacus is not a true Kubrick film for he was hired to direct the film when Kirk Douglas sack the original director Anthony Mann after one week of shooting. Kubrickk had to use the original storyboard set up by Mann. As an epic of a film the film is still spectacular.

Written By: gmann on 12/05/08 at 1:05 am

I'm surprised 2001 doesn't have more support 'round these parts. This film still looks great forty years on! Admittedly, the storyline has an experimental vibe at times, but that's never bothered me.

I haven't had the opportunity to give most of Kubrick's other films the time they deserve, so I'll reserve judgement for now.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 12/05/08 at 1:15 am

I'm surprised 2001 doesn't have more support 'round these parts. This film still looks great forty years on! Admittedly, the storyline has an experimental vibe at times, but that's never bothered me.

I haven't had the opportunity to give most of Kubrick's other films the time they deserve, so I'll reserve judgement for now.  :)

To be honest I detest 2001.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/08 at 2:25 am

I like 2001, but it is too long.

Written By: gumbypiz on 12/05/08 at 10:03 pm

I didn't vote for it, but still like it. Its one of those films that grows on you with each viewing. Yes its long, but part of the fun in watching it was imagining the environment and surroundings it was released in back in 1968.

Keep in mind that most of the studio execs had no idea what the movie was going to be about and understood nothing of it (as most of the public had the same reaction) when they did see it. It was over the heads of most movie goers at the time and still is to a large degree.

I didn't like it either the first time I saw it, didn't know what the hell was going on. I bet most who have seen it can't even describe (without going to IMDb or Wikipedia) the plot or give a synopsis of the movie. :-X

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/05/08 at 10:14 pm

Full Metal Jacket is an excellent film and my favorite Kubrick work. I've always been a fan of Vietnam war movies and then I like sci-fi so I chose 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) for my 2nd favorite, even though I still don't know wtf is going on  ;D  Aren't there books that explain and interpret what it's about.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/05/08 at 10:44 pm

I like 2001, but it is too long.

It's actually a great stoner film.
;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/05/08 at 10:49 pm

It's actually a great stoner film.
;)
yeah, but watching it on acid could cause permanent psychosis man  http://bestsmileys.com/peace/1.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/05/08 at 11:09 pm

yeah, but watching it on acid could cause permanent psychosis man  http://bestsmileys.com/peace/1.gif

All your household appliances might start calling you "Dave."
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hal.gif

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/06/08 at 12:03 am

All your household appliances might start calling you "Dave."
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hal.gif
that'd be cool man http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S0205SBzpJAkAACKijzbkF/SIG=129cc0qdd/EXP=1228626130/**http%3A//www.freakshop.com/band-pics/cheechandchong.jpg

I actually liked the sequel, was it 2010 a space Odyssey? 

Written By: snozberries on 12/06/08 at 12:28 am

I didn't vote for it, but still like it. Its one of those films that grows on you with each viewing. Yes its long, but part of the fun in watching it was imagining the environment and surroundings it was released in back in 1968.

Keep in mind that most of the studio execs had no idea what the movie was going to be about and understood nothing of it (as most of the public had the same reaction) when they did see it. It was over the heads of most movie goers at the time and still is to a large degree.

I didn't like it either the first time I saw it, didn't know what the hell was going on. I bet most who have seen it can't even describe (without going to IMDb or Wikipedia) the plot or give a synopsis of the movie. :-X

I was a film studies major. I had to watch it four times... and I had already suffered through it on my own before going to college... 5x is enough to effectively decide you don't like something.

Written By: Jessica on 12/06/08 at 12:31 am

Full Metal Jacket.  Gunnery Sergeant Hartman's vocabulary is impressive, and Vincent D'Onofrio is nucking futs in that movie.

Second favorite is A Clockwork Orange.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/08 at 3:14 am

that'd be cool man http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S0205SBzpJAkAACKijzbkF/SIG=129cc0qdd/EXP=1228626130/**http%3A//www.freakshop.com/band-pics/cheechandchong.jpg

I actually liked the sequel, was it 2010 a space Odyssey?  
That is one film I still have not seen.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/06/08 at 3:34 am

That is one film I still have not seen.
most of the Cheech and Chong films are funny if you like drug laced humor

Written By: snozberries on 12/06/08 at 2:01 pm

most of the Cheech and Chong films are funny if you like drug laced humor

how 'bout drug laced drugs?  :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/06/08 at 2:56 pm

how 'bout drug laced drugs?  :D
been thee, done that  :D  It's funny when they smoke a joint of Labrador

Written By: snozberries on 12/06/08 at 3:01 pm

been thee, done that  :D   It's funny when they smoke a joint of Labrador

is that when they do the this stuff tastes like sh*t man?  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/06/08 at 3:05 pm

is that when they do the this stuff tastes like sh*t man?  ;D
his Lab ate his stash so he had to wait until it pooped to get his weed back and then he rolled it up  8-P 

back to Kubrick  ::)    he was a bit controversial, wouldn't you say?

Written By: snozberries on 12/06/08 at 3:30 pm

his Lab ate his stash so he had to wait until it pooped to get his weed back and then he rolled it up  8-P 

back to Kubrick  ::)    he was a bit controversial, wouldn't you say?

I'm not a big C&C fan but I do remember that scene.  ;D

He was pretty controversial.  I think especially with Clockwork Orange.  That film isn't for everyone.... and to this day that features the creepiest version of Singing in the Rain.....EVER.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/06/08 at 3:32 pm

I'm not a big C&C fan but I do remember that scene.  ;D

He was pretty controversial.  I think especially with Clockwork Orange.  That film isn't for everyone.... and to this day that features the creepiest version of Singing in the Rain.....EVER.
oh yeah, it's a bit brutal. Gene Kelley would not approve

Written By: snozberries on 12/06/08 at 3:53 pm

no he wouldn't. 

Wonder what he would consider more offensive that scene from CO or his image being used posthumously hawking vacuum cleaners and Diet coke with Paula Abdul?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/06/08 at 3:55 pm

no he wouldn't. 

Wonder what he would consider more offensive that scene from CO or his image being used posthumously hawking vacuum cleaners and Diet coke with Paula Abdul?
;D  well, he was a ladies man, so I think he'd be more apt to tolerate Paula and her thick thighs  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 12/06/08 at 3:56 pm

;D   well, he was a ladies man, so I think he'd be more apt to tolerate Paula and her thick thighs  ;)

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/08 at 3:57 pm

But you do hear an edited version of Gene Kelly's rendition during the end credits.

Written By: mooster on 12/07/08 at 2:50 am

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Written By: gumbypiz on 12/07/08 at 11:20 pm

Y'know I voted for Full Metal Jacket, and whenever its on (even though I own it) or see a clip on YouTube, I watch it...but.

Is it just me, or is the change from boot camp to Vietnam is so drastic, that, even though I love the whole film, I'll often stop and not watch after Pvt Plye does himself and Sgt. Hartman in.

Something about how the first part is so jarring, so in your face that makes the second part kinda anti-climatic (yes, even though it switches to a seriously violent and deadly war environment).
Its less personal a movie in a sense that the boot camp part is... :-\\

Written By: Davester on 12/07/08 at 11:54 pm

Only one vote for Spartacus?  You guys suck...

Philip Eno - I recall hearing about the Spartacus director's switcheroo, it's in the special features.  Didn't that have something to do with the production running afoul of the McCarthy witch hunt..?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/08 at 1:49 am

Y'know I voted for Full Metal Jacket, and whenever its on (even though I own it) or see a clip on YouTube, I watch it...but.

Is it just me, or is the change from boot camp to Vietnam is so drastic, that, even though I love the whole film, I'll often stop and not watch after Pvt Plye does himself and Sgt. Hartman in.

Something about how the first part is so jarring, so in your face that makes the second part kinda anti-climatic (yes, even though it switches to a seriously violent and deadly war environment).

I feel the same way.  Lee Ermey's performance dominates the film, leaving the post-boot camp portion lackluster by comparison.  All my favorite quotes come from the boot camp scenes!

Written By: snozberries on 12/08/08 at 10:10 pm

I feel the same way.  Lee Ermey's performance dominates the film, leaving the post-boot camp portion lackluster by comparison.  All my favorite quotes come from the boot camp scenes!

one of my favs....

God has a hard on for Marines because we keep heaven packed with fresh souls!  ;D

Written By: Hoagies With Myles on 12/08/08 at 10:11 pm

I think with the way the first half of the movie ends, its so emotionally draining that the second part seems so dull. Its unfortunate. I think the second half have some really memorable scenes.

Written By: snozberries on 12/08/08 at 10:13 pm

I think with the way the first half of the movie ends, its so emotionally draining that the second part seems so dull. Its unfortunate. I think the second half have some really memorable scenes.

What do you get for 10 dollars
Everyting  Me luv you long time

10 dollar too beau coup 5 dollar 

;D

Written By: Hoagies With Myles on 12/08/08 at 10:14 pm

What do you get for 10 dollars
Everyting  Me luv you long time

10 dollar too beau coup 5 dollar 

;D

Exactly!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...