» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Betcha didn't know that was a cover song?

Written By: whistledog on 12/08/08 at 1:25 am

So I was watching this show on TV and they were talking about the movie Shrek.  They mentioned how that Baha Men song 'Best Years of Our Lives' was written and recorded for the movie.  Was it recorded for the movie?  Yes.  Was it written for the movie?  Not unless Shrek came out in the 80s LOL
'Best Years of Our Lives' was written by Geoff Deane and David Jaymes, members of the group Modern Romance, who took the song into the UK Top 5 in 1982

This got me thinking about popular songs that not many people even realize is a cover song.  Here's a few ...

♦ 'Hold On' by Santana (1982).  This was written by Ian Thomas (Canadian singer best remembered in America for his 1973 hit 'Painted Ladies') who took it into the Canadian Top 30 in 1981

♦ 'Everytime You Go Away' by Paul Young (1985).  It was written by Daryl Hall and John Oates and originally appeared as an album track on their 1980 album 'Voices'

♦ 'I Go Blind' by Hootie and the Blowfish (1997).  It was originally written and recorded by the Canadian group 54•40 as an album only track in 1986.  Though Hootie's version never reached the Hot 100, it did hit the US Top 40 Mainstream (Airplay) Chart.  CanCon rules would help push Hootie's version into the Canadian Top 20

♦ 'Sunglasses at Night' by Tiga and Zyntherius (2002).  For international audiences only as the 1984 original by Corey Hart was not a hit single in Europe

♦ 'Bette Davis Eyes' by Kim Carnes (1981).  Written and first recorded by Jackie DeShannon in 1975

♦ 'Our Lips Are Sealed' by Fun Boy Three (1983).  Written by Jane Wiedlin (of The Go-Gos) and Terry Hall (then of The Specials).  For international audiences as The Go-Gos original only reached #47 in the UK and for North American audiences who didn't know there was a cover version because the Fun Boy Three had zero hit singles there

♦ 'The Power of Love' by Celine Dion (1994).  Mainly for American audiences only.  First written and recorded by Jennifer Rush in 1985, reaching #1 in both the UK and Canada.  A cover by Air Supply hit the Canadian Top 40 in 1986.  Both versions charted in the US, but fell out of the Top 40.  Laura Branigan, who was the third to cover it, took it into the US Top 40 in 1987, but it seems as though her version (which is wonderful by the way) often gets lost in the mix

♦ 'Broken Arrow' by Rod Stewart (1992).  Written by former "Band" mate Robbie Robertson and first appeared on his 1987 self-titled solo debut album. 

♦ 'Agadoo' by Black Lace (1984)..  Memorable song for our international memebers.  The original version titled 'Agadou' as sung in French was written and recorded by Queebc singer Patrick Zabé in 1974.  Recently, the song was thrust back into the Canadian spotlight when it was used as the inspiration for a popular Mini-Wheats commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1YcgDIO3J0

Subject: Re: Betcha didn't know that was a cover song?

Written By: Green Lantern on 12/08/08 at 6:48 am

So I was watching this show on TV and they were talking about the movie Shrek.  They mentioned how that Baha Men song 'Best Years of Our Lives' was written and recorded for the movie.  Was it recorded for the movie?  Yes.  Was it written for the movie?  Not unless Shrek came out in the 80s LOL
'Best Years of Our Lives' was written by Geoff Deane and David Jaymes, members of the group Modern Romance, who took the song into the UK Top 5 in 1982

This got me thinking about popular songs that not many people even realize is a cover song.  Here's a few ...

♦ 'Hold On' by Santana (1982).  This was written by Ian Thomas (Canadian singer best remembered in America for his 1973 hit 'Painted Ladies') who took it into the Canadian Top 30 in 1981

♦ 'Everytime You Go Away' by Paul Young (1985).  It was written by Daryl Hall and John Oates and originally appeared as an album track on their 1980 album 'Voices'

♦ 'I Go Blind' by Hootie and the Blowfish (1997).  It was originally written and recorded by the Canadian group 54•40 as an album only track in 1986.  Though Hootie's version never reached the Hot 100, it did hit the US Top 40 Mainstream (Airplay) Chart.  CanCon rules would help push Hootie's version into the Canadian Top 20

♦ 'Sunglasses at Night' by Tiga and Zyntherius (2002).  For international audiences only as the 1984 original by Corey Hart was not a hit single in Europe

♦ 'Bette Davis Eyes' by Kim Carnes (1981).  Written and first recorded by Jackie DeShannon in 1975

♦ 'Our Lips Are Sealed' by Fun Boy Three (1983).  Written by Jane Wiedlin (of The Go-Gos) and Terry Hall (then of The Specials).  For international audiences as The Go-Gos original only reached #47 in the UK and for North American audiences who didn't know there was a cover version because the Fun Boy Three had zero hit singles there

♦ 'The Power of Love' by Celine Dion (1994).  Mainly for American audiences only.  First written and recorded by Jennifer Rush in 1985, reaching #1 in both the UK and Canada.  A cover by Air Supply hit the Canadian Top 40 in 1986.  Both versions charted in the US, but fell out of the Top 40.  Laura Branigan, who was the third to cover it, took it into the US Top 40 in 1987, but it seems as though her version (which is wonderful by the way) often gets lost in the mix

♦ 'Broken Arrow' by Rod Stewart (1992).  Written by former "Band" mate Robbie Robertson and first appeared on his 1987 self-titled solo debut album. 

♦ 'Agadoo' by Black Lace (1984)..  Memorable song for our international memebers.  The original version titled 'Agadou' as sung in French was written and recorded by Queebc singer Patrick Zabé in 1974.  Recently, the song was thrust back into the Canadian spotlight when it was used as the inspiration for a popular Mini-Wheats commercial

Interesting.

Of the songs you've mentioned ... the most startling to me, is the Paul Young song, with Bette Davis eyes, a close second.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/08/08 at 7:38 am

Hound Dog by Elvis was recorded by Big Mama Thornton
Ball and Chain by Janis Joplin  written and recorded by above

Written By: Paul on 12/08/08 at 7:50 am

Geoff also wrote Divine's Hi-NRG classic 'You Think You're A Man', which to my mind is beyond covering!

He then turned to writing TV comedy shows (Geoff, not Divine) with 'Birds Of A Feather' being the most famous...

One off the top of my head...'It's My Party' was the first and biggest hit for Lesley Gore back in 1963, but it was first recorded by Britain's very own foghorn, Helen Shapiro...

Helen also had the chance of being the first artist to cover a Lennon/McCartney song, but her management turned down 'Misery' and it ended up with Kenny Lynch, of all people!

Written By: Green Lantern on 12/08/08 at 8:04 am

The UK number one for Rolf Harris .... in 1969 :

"Two Little Boys" is a song written by Theodore Morse and Edward Madden. It was written in 1902 and became a popular music hall song of the time, made popular by Harry Lauder.

Written By: Paul on 12/08/08 at 8:36 am

Indeed...and although it's not the earliest written song to hit #1 here, it's certainly in the top three!

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/08/08 at 1:29 pm

Great info as usual, Jason.

Here's one that Henk had mentioned:

Heart and Soul by Huey Lewis and the News was first done by the band Exile. 

I'm sure he'd be able to give you the year, as I suck at remembering this kind of stuff.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/08 at 1:32 pm

Indeed...and although it's not the earliest written song to hit #1 here, it's certainly in the top three!
Due for a re-release this Christmas with Rolf Harris and a Welsh Male Voice Choir

Written By: Paul on 12/08/08 at 1:52 pm

Two modern-day standards, but probably not-so well known in their original versions...

'Wind Beneath My Wings' was first tackled by Sheena Easton in 1982

'Always On My Mind' was introuduced by Brenda Lee ten years prior to that...

Remember 'That Lady' by the Isleys? Well, they managed to cover themselves! Back in 1964 it was called 'Who's That Lady' and sounded considerably different!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/08 at 2:07 pm

Does anyone remember the song "I Told Every Little Star" from either the 50s or 60s? Well, believe it or not, that is a remake or "cover" as it is called today. It was originally recorded in 1933 by Mary Ellis.

Smoke Two Joints-by Sublime was originally done by the Toyes.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 12/08/08 at 2:50 pm

Geoff also wrote Divine's Hi-NRG classic 'You Think You're A Man', which to my mind is beyond covering!

LOL I never would have suspected that.  I'm actually surprised no one has covered that song

Written By: woops on 12/08/08 at 2:54 pm

"I Love Candy" from Bow Wow Wow originally from The Strangloves
"It's Oh So Quiet" from Bjork originally from Betty Hutton (though as "Blow My Fuse" or similar title)
"There's Always Something There To Remind Me" from Naked Eyes is also a cover, though don't know original
"Come On Feel The Noise" Quiet Riot originally from Slade

Written By: karen on 12/08/08 at 2:57 pm

"There's Always Something There To Remind Me" from Naked Eyes is also a cover, though don't know original

I know a version by Sandie Shaw but that might not be the original

Come on, spell it correctly!  ;)

Quiet Riot covered another Slade song I think

Written By: whistledog on 12/08/08 at 2:59 pm

Here's one that is always guaranteed to surprise those that don't know.

'Family Man', a US #6 / UK #15 hit for Hall and Oates in 1983 was originally recorded by Mike Oldfield for his 'Five Miles Out' album in 1982.  The reason not many remember Oldfield's version is because a) it never charted in America and b) it only reached UK #45

In Canada, Oldfield's version reached #29 and was still popular at the time H&O released their 'H2O' album, which I believe was the reason they chose not to release their version in Canada.  Instead, we got an alternative single with the Oates sung 'Italian girls' which reached #23

Quiet Riot covered another Slade song I think

Mama Weer All Crazee Now

Written By: karen on 12/08/08 at 2:59 pm

Mama We're All Crazee Now

I just remembered which one it was.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/08 at 3:01 pm

I know a version by Sandie Shaw but that might not be the original
Also covered by The Housemartins in 1988.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/08 at 3:02 pm

Come on, spell it correctly!  ;)
Cum On Feel The Noize

Written By: whistledog on 12/08/08 at 3:23 pm

♦ Puttin' on the Ritz by Taco (1983) was originally written by Irvin Berlin in 1929 and first recorded by Harry Richman in the 1930 musical 'Puttin' on the Ritz'

♦ For Canadian audiences only:  The 1988 smash hit 'Hands Up (Give Me Your Heart)' by Sway made into the charts thanks in part to it's use in Club Med commercials, but what many don't know is the original version belongs to Ottawan in 1981
... If you like disco, then the Ottawan version is for you
... If you like Hi-NRG dance, then the Sway version is definately for you

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/08 at 3:31 pm

♦ Puttin' on the Ritz by Taco (1983) was originally written by Irvin Berlin in 1929 and first recorded by Harry Richman in the 1930 musical 'Puttin' on the Ritz'
Also sung and danced in Young Frankestein (1974) by Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/08 at 3:57 pm

Also sung and danced in Young Frankestein (1974) by Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle.

Man, you beat me to it.  :D ;D ;D  I also remember seeing something with Clark Gable singing it-back in the 30s, 40s? (I didn't watch it in the 30s or 40s-it was FILMED in the 30s or 40s. I'm not THAT old-just a middle aged pervert.)

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/08 at 3:59 pm

Man, you beat me to it.  :D ;D ;D  I also remember seeing something with Clark Gable singing it-back in the 30s, 40s? (I didn't watch it in the 30s or 40s-it was FILMED in the 30s or 40s. I'm not THAT old-just a middle aged pervert.)

Cat
You can post the link on YouTube (if any) for Young Frankestein.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/08 at 4:13 pm

You can post the link on YouTube (if any) for Young Frankestein.

You asked for it.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH2nQHPs4aA

Cat

Written By: Paul on 12/08/08 at 4:16 pm

According to my big book of useless crap info', it was recorded first by an American guy called Lou Johnson (no, me neither!)

(Rather unusual for a Burt Bacharach tune, as Dionne Warwick normally had first dibs on anything of his!)

However, Sandie Shaw did have the more familiar version as karen rightly says...

Written By: Paul on 12/08/08 at 4:20 pm

The 1988 smash hit 'Hands Up (Give Me Your Heart)' by Sway made into the charts thanks in part to it's use in Club Med commercials, but what many don't know is the original version belongs to Ottawan in 1981

A huge hit in Britain in 1981, so I think some of us would know it, at least!  ;)

Not a patch on the mighty 'D-I-S-C-O' (and the times I slipped the French version on by mistake in my previous DJ-ing life!  :o)

Written By: Henk on 12/08/08 at 5:17 pm

Great info as usual, Jason.

Here's one that Henk had mentioned:

Heart and Soul by Huey Lewis and the News was first done by the band Exile. 

I'm sure he'd be able to give you the year, as I suck at remembering this kind of stuff.

Karma for paying attention. ;)

Exile originally did it in 1981, Huey Lewis & the News did the remake in 1983.

(Exile, of course, are best known for Kiss You All Over.)

Written By: Henk on 12/08/08 at 5:25 pm

And let's not forget the 1981 version by the German Saragossa Band. ::)

Interestingly, they also did a cover of Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich's "Zabadak"...Betcha can't wait to hear that one! ;D

Written By: Henk on 12/08/08 at 5:37 pm

Here's my two cents...

"Y Viva Espana", a UK #4 hit for Sylvia in 1974, and covered multiple times since, was originally recorded by Belgian singer Samantha in 1971.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/08 at 5:39 pm

Here's my two cents...

"Y Viva Espana", a UK #4 hit for Sylvia in 1974, and covered multiple times since, was originally recorded by Belgian singer Samantha in 1971.
Andrew Sachs sang "Y Viva Espana" as Manuel from Fawlty Towers (I have the single).

Written By: Paul on 12/08/08 at 6:12 pm

Two RnR/RnB classics that only became popular after the first attempt...

'Louie Louie' was orginally performed by Richard Berry & the Pharaohs back in 1957

'Twist And Shout' had its first outing courtesy of The Top Notes in 1961

Written By: Whatsmyname on 12/09/08 at 6:58 pm

Supprised at no mention of All Alobng The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/08 at 7:11 pm

...and U2

Written By: danootaandme on 12/10/08 at 7:21 am

...and U2

Originally by Bob Dylan as was The Mighty Quinn

Written By: Paul on 12/10/08 at 7:48 am

Originally by Bob Dylan as was The Mighty Quinn

Bob's had so much of his stuff covered that there's been several compilations issued!

(Probably no bad thing, as his nasally whine is certainly an acquired taste!)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/08 at 6:06 pm

The X Factor winner Alexandra Burke's first single "Hallelujah" is a cover of a song by Leonard Cohen.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/08 at 8:22 pm

Louie Louie

The version we all know from The Kingsmen was actually written by another songwriter, Richard Berry, who had released it as a single in 1955.  If they could have made Richard Berry's version the b-side with the Kingsmen version, kids would have wasted a lot less time trying to guess the lyrics!
:-[

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/08 at 8:39 pm

(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me was Burt Bacharach & Hal David, first released by singer Lou Johnson in 1964, as somebody else mentioned.

There's a difference between a "cover" and a song by a songwriter recorded by numerous artists.  That is, the way the old system worked was you had songwriters and you had performers.  Starting in the sixties--mostly in the sixties--the singer-songwriter was born.  That's why if you record "Fire & Rain" you just have to follow what's written down on the sheet music.  It was writen as a song first.  I remember a band got popular with a cover of "Video Killed the Radio Star." I didn't like it because it wasn't The Buggles.  The song can work by itself; however, Trevor Horn added such tremendous production values to his version, the one that got popular, that the production values became integral to the song itself.  I see a lot of recorded pop more like "musique concrete" in the sense the studio technicians are selecting and crafting the songs piece by piece from tape or computer.  That's why I'm always interested in who produced a pop album.  If it credits "Brian Eno," I expect the recording to be good, even if I'm not a fan of the artist. 

Written By: Claybricks on 12/14/08 at 11:45 pm

Original

The Lover Speaks - No More "I Love You's" {1986}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S4GjHELHaY

Cover

Annie Lennox - No More "I Love You's" {1995}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsl2O2H7g1c

Original

Hot Chocolate - You Could Have Been A Lady {1971}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsH09sUfWwQ

Cover

April Wine - You Could Have Been A Lady {1972}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoSVPiuNqHM

Original

Spencer Davis Group - I'm A Man {1967}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POCUgBSVENQ

Cover

Chicago - I'm A Man {1969}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cReN3dqlssE

Original

Rufus Thomas - Walking The Dog {1965}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6AZNywvF-s

Cover

Aerosmith - Walkin' The Dog {1973}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HoZzJE30B8

Original

Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode {1958}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Bd5-APPBw

Cover

Jimi Hendrix - Johnny B. Goode {1971}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5BOf-8vHoY

Dan

Written By: whistledog on 12/15/08 at 12:37 am

Original

Hot Chocolate - You Could Have Been A Lady {1971}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsH09sUfWwQ

Cover

April Wine - You Could Have Been A Lady {1972}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoSVPiuNqHM

I knew about this one :)

Also on the subject of April Wine,

Their 1982 hit 'Sign of the Gypsy Queen' was written and first recorded by Canadian singer Lorence Hud, who took it into the Canadian Top 20 in 1972.  To my knowledge, Hud's original was not a chart single outside of Canada

Written By: danootaandme on 12/15/08 at 6:21 am

Bob's had so much of his stuff covered that there's been several compilations issued!

(Probably no bad thing, as his nasally whine is certainly an acquired taste!)

Yeah,  no one can do Dylan better than Joan Baez, ain't that a kick  ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/16/08 at 6:02 pm

All Along the Watchtower was a cover.  :o I heard Prince play that at the 06 Superbowl. It was AMAZING!

I also didn't know Bridge Over Troubled Water was a cover when Clay Aiken did it.

(I know, I'm a dingbat, forgive me)

Written By: loki 13 on 12/16/08 at 10:00 pm

I still find that some people don't know that Hard To Handle....The Black Crowes was a cover
of the song originally by Otis Redding.

Written By: tomario on 12/16/08 at 10:28 pm

Cover Torn - Natalie Imbruglia  in 1998

Original -written by Ednaswap sang(in Danish) by Lis Sorensen in 1994

She didn't do herself any favours by embarassing herself on an episode of Chris Evans' TV show "TFI Friday" in 1998. Chris Evans said to her "Great lyrics, you're one hell of a songwriter", Natalie replied "Thank you Chris, my pleasure", at which point someone in the audience shouted out "Hang on - you didn't write it, it's a cover version!".  lmao! ;D

Written By: whistledog on 12/16/08 at 10:48 pm

'Gloria' by Laura Branigan was a smash hit in 1982.  It was originally by Umberto Tozzi in 1979

Also an original by Tozzi, Laura Branigan had a hit in 1984 with 'Ti Amo', which despite not reaching the US Top 40, was a Top 5 hit in Australia and Canada

Written By: woops on 12/17/08 at 2:36 pm

Sinead O'Connor "Nothing Compares 2 U" (Prince)
Toni Basil "Mickey" was actually  featured a slightly different title and done by somebody else...

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/08 at 2:40 pm

Toni Basil "Mickey" was actually  featured a slightly different title and done by somebody else...
...written by Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn as "Kitty," it was first recorded by UK pop group Racey in 1979.

Written By: whistledog on 12/17/08 at 10:28 pm

...written by Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn as "Kitty," it was first recorded by UK pop group Racey in 1979.

I didn't know that :o

I like Racey's version of Runaround Sue :)

Written By: whistledog on 12/18/08 at 12:01 am

The legendary That's What Friends Are For, a #1 hit by Dionne Warwick and Friends (Stevie Wonder, Elton John and Gladys Knight) was originally written by Burt Bacharach and Carole Bayer Sager and sung by Rod Stewart as the theme to the 1982 film 'Night Shift'

Though Stewart never had a hit with it, Bacharach produced Dionne's version and all proceeds from the sales of it went to an aids relief fund.  One of the few charity singles to actually reach the US Top 40 during the 80s

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/24/09 at 3:09 am

"Tackhead in the area!"

I knew it was a cover, but what I didn't know was that the Gods of industrial-dub-funk known as Tackhead didn't just cover David Bowie's I'm Afraid Of Americans last year, they also put the MP3 on their website for all to enjoy. 

I can't wait to see what finally comes out of the Sharehead project.

Written By: whistledog on 01/24/09 at 10:21 am

I remember a band got popular with a cover of "Video Killed the Radio Star." I didn't like it because it wasn't The Buggles.  The song can work by itself; however, Trevor Horn added such tremendous production values to his version, the one that got popular, that the production values became integral to the song itself.  I see a lot of recorded pop more like "musique concrete" in the sense the studio technicians are selecting and crafting the songs piece by piece from tape or computer.  That's why I'm always interested in who produced a pop album.  If it credits "Brian Eno," I expect the recording to be good, even if I'm not a fan of the artist. 

It's highly debatable whether The Buggles were the first to record it.  Co-writer Bruce Woolley was originally a member of The Buggles but left before they got signed to form his own band Bruce Woolley and the Camera Club (which featured a then unknown Thomas Dolby on keyboards).  Both groups recorded their own versions of 'Video Killed the Radio Star' around the same time, but it was The Buggles version that would overpower.

Woolley's version did chart in some countries, most notably Canada where it cracked the Top 20

Written By: loki 13 on 02/28/09 at 9:56 pm

Would Mack The Knife fit this catagory. Most people credit Bobby Darin with singing the original, I too didn't
know how far back it went but I've found the original. A rather eerie rendition by Bertolt Brecht.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QXJ3OXWaOY&feature=related

Written By: whistledog on 03/01/09 at 10:52 pm

'Hot Hot Hot' by Buster Poindexter was a popular single in the late 80s despite not reaching the Top 40 in North America. 

The original 1984 version by soca artist ARROW reached #59 in the UK and was a Top 40 hit in Canada.  Upon re-issue in 1994, it reached #38 in the UK.  Buster's version never charted in the UK

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/09 at 5:44 am

'Hot Hot Hot' by Buster Poindexter was a popular single in the late 80s despite not reaching the Top 40 in North America. 

The original 1984 version by soca artist ARROW reached #59 in the UK and was a Top 40 hit in Canada.  Upon re-issue in 1994, it reached #38 in the UK.  Buster's version never charted in the UK
This song was played all the time at the Notting Hill Carnival in the 80s.

Check for new replies or respond here...