» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Tutti per il Musica Italiane, or: What's your favorite Italian music/artist?

Written By: Henk on 01/20/09 at 5:47 pm

Alright, I probably screwed up big time gramatically in the title of this thread...and I doubt it's gonna be a very popular topic, but I had to start it anyway. :P

Inspired by McDonald's thread about French music/artists of all decades, here's one about Italian artists/music.
Anything/anyone you like? Post it here...pretty please. Any decade, any style. You can post songs in Italian, or songs by Italian artists.

Here's a few from me to start with..

Matia Bazar - Ti Sento

Umberto Tozzi - Ti Amo

Moses - We Just
The tune to Italian tv show "Discoring", but it turned into an international hit (peaking at #3 in our charts, for instance).

Luis Miguel - Noi, Ragazzi Di Oggi
The winning song from the 1985 San Remo Festival, by this Puerto Rican-born, Mexican raised singer (who was only 15 at the time)
Did you know he has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame...? Well, I didn't.

And last but not least...Rocco Granata - Marina, and international hit for this Belgian singer. (The first ever Belgian singer to hit US Hot 100)

...Or perhaps you prefer the 1989 remix of that song... ::)

And now...it's up to you. Post away. :)

Subject: Re: Tutti per il Musica Italiane, or: What's your favorite Italian music/artist?

Written By: whistledog on 01/20/09 at 7:04 pm

Umberto Tozzi is great.  Ti Amo went on to be a minor US hit in 1984 for Laura Branigan, but in Canada it cracked the Top 20

Of Italian singers that have sung in Italian, I liked Zucchero and his duet with Brit born Paul Young on 'Senza Una Donna (Without A Woman)'

Of Italian singers that mainly sing in English, who can forget the great Den Harrow.  Love LOVE LOVE his 80s hit 'Don't Break My Heart'.  And last but not least Moony, the female voice on the popular 'Point of View' by DB Boulevard as well as her own smash hit 'Dove (I'll Be Loving You)' both which were Top 40 hits in the UK as well as here in Canada

Subject: Re: Tutti per il Musica Italiane, or: What's your favorite Italian music/artist?

Written By: Bobo on 01/20/09 at 7:32 pm

I have one of the weirdest musical radio stations saved on iTunes entitled Italian Graffiati - Italian-language versions of the strangest songs.

One song I heard was called "C'e yuna strana espressione nei tuoi occhi" - and was an Italian version of that old song "When You Walk in the Room".

I can't continue without mentioning the fact that the Everly Brothers have indeed recorded around six or seven songs in Italian - "Buona Fortuna Amore Mio" is an Italian version of "So Sad (To Watch Good Love Go Bad)", "Non Mandarmi Piu Fiori" is an Italian version of "How Can I Meet Her", and there are original songs called "La Luna E'Un Pallido Sole" and "Non Mi Resti Che Tu".

And there's nothing quite as surreal as watching the faces of people who listen to me singing versions of "Bedshaped" by Keane and "If You're Not The One" by Daniel Bedingfield in Italian. :D And the hands descend around my neck immediately afterwards.

Written By: McDonald on 01/20/09 at 8:27 pm

I like the Italian revolutionary song 'Bella Ciao'.

Written By: Henk on 01/21/09 at 2:16 pm

Thanks (and karma) for your input, guys. :)

Umberto Tozzi is great.  Ti Amo went on to be a minor US hit in 1984 for Laura Branigan, but in Canada it cracked the Top 20

"Ti Amo" was his biggest hit over here, although even that song didn't get any higher than #15.
I believe "Gloria" was a big hit in Australia, much to my surprise. (Sorry about the poor audio with that video)

And here's one more from Tozzi: Gente Di Mare, the Italian entry for the ESC in 1987.
Coincidentally, it's a cooperation with Raf (Raffale Riefoli), the guy that also sang..."Self Control", a hit for Laura Branigan!

Of Italian singers that have sung in Italian, I liked Zucchero and his duet with Brit born Paul Young on 'Senza Una Donna (Without A Woman)'

Zucchero is the most popular Italian artist in Italy, I believe, selling millions of records. He hasn't had much hits over here.
Here's one song I like (not a hit): Baila Morena

Of Italian singers that mainly sing in English, who can forget the great Den Harrow.  Love LOVE LOVE his 80s hit 'Don't Break My Heart'.  And last but not least Moony, the female voice on the popular 'Point of View' by DB Boulevard as well as her own smash hit 'Dove (I'll Be Loving You)' both which were Top 40 hits in the UK as well as here in Canada

Never heard of Den Harrow, I'm afraid - no hits over here. :-\\
Moony, on the other hand... :)

Written By: Henk on 01/21/09 at 2:23 pm

I have one of the weirdest musical radio stations saved on iTunes entitled Italian Graffiati - Italian-language versions of the strangest songs.

One song I heard was called "C'e yuna strana espressione nei tuoi occhi" - and was an Italian version of that old song "When You Walk in the Room".

You mean..This one...?  ???

I can't continue without mentioning the fact that the Everly Brothers have indeed recorded around six or seven songs in Italian - "Buona Fortuna Amore Mio" is an Italian version of "So Sad (To Watch Good Love Go Bad)", "Non Mandarmi Piu Fiori" is an Italian version of "How Can I Meet Her", and there are original songs called "La Luna E'Un Pallido Sole" and "Non Mi Resti Che Tu".

Can't say I'm familiar with any of those. :-
And there's nothing quite as surreal as watching the faces of people who listen to me singing versions of "Bedshaped" by Keane and "If You're Not The One" by Daniel Bedingfield in Italian. :D And the hands descend around my neck immediately afterwards.

Barbarians!

Written By: Henk on 01/21/09 at 2:27 pm

I like the Italian revolutionary song 'Bella Ciao'.

For all those people that don't know the song (and I was one of them): here's a link to the 1971 version by Milva.

Written By: Paul on 01/21/09 at 2:36 pm

Does Giampiero Anelli mean anything to anyone?

Probably not, becuase his more noted moniker was Drupi...

And this was his finest hour... (well, four minutes to be precise!)

(And once again, it required no translation to become a hit in Britain...well done us!)

Written By: Henk on 01/21/09 at 2:41 pm

Does Giampiero Anelli mean anything to anyone?

Probably not, becuase his more noted moniker was Drupi...

And this was his finest hour... (well, four minutes to be precise!)

(And once again, it required no translation to become a hit in Britain...well done us!)

Sometimes it's almost like you're a part of Europe... ;)

Although this song reached #7 in our charts, I don't recall having heard it played ever since 1973. :-\\

Written By: Paul on 01/21/09 at 2:53 pm

Sometimes it's almost like you're a part of Europe... ;)

Hellfire! Before you know it they'll be building tunnels connecting us to France...er... :-Although this song reached #7 in our charts, I don't recall having heard it played ever since 1973. :-\\

Not really an oldie that's aged well, as I've rarely heard it played either...shame, as it's a fine song!

Written By: Henk on 01/21/09 at 3:06 pm

I'm just gonna post some more songs that I remember.

Alice e Battiato - I Treni Di Tozeur (1984)

Ricchi e Poveri - M'Innamoro Di Te (1982)

Al Bano & Romina Power - Felicità (1982)

Toto Cutugno - l'Italiano (1983)

And one of the strangest songs to ever chart anywhere: Adriano Celentano - Prisencolinensinainciusol (1973)

Written By: Bobo on 01/21/09 at 3:21 pm

You mean..This one...?  ???

The very same.

Written By: Paul on 01/21/09 at 3:23 pm

And one of the strangest songs to ever chart anywhere: Adriano Celentano - Prisencolinensinainciusol (1973)

This is 1973? Wow!  :o The production values make it sound much more 'modern' than that!

Slipping back into 'Inglese' for this mega-hit from 1983...

(The 12" version of this was bizarre...halfway through, it abruptly broke into what sounded like a completely different song, before abruptly breaking once more back to the original song!  :D)

Written By: Henk on 01/21/09 at 3:35 pm

This is 1973? Wow!  :o The production values make it sound much more 'modern' than that!

Yep, 1973...

And before you know it, you're in a videoclip. Look at those people thinking: "WTF?!?"  ??? :-\\ :D ;D

(The 12" version of this was bizarre...halfway through, it abruptly broke into what sounded like a completely different song, before abruptly breaking once more back to the original song!  :D)

I remember that. Quite bizarre indeed...

Written By: Paul on 01/21/09 at 3:41 pm

Once again, an Italian artist...singing in English!

I suppose it must have been the only way of getting your song aired on the radio!

This lady was quite a superstar in her homeland, but this was her biggest British hit...and a fine one at that!

Written By: Henk on 01/21/09 at 3:58 pm

Once again, an Italian artist...singing in English!

I suppose it must have been the only way of getting your song aired on the radio!

This lady was quite a superstar in her homeland, but this was her biggest British hit...and a fine one at that!

Interesting. Rita's only hit (if you can call it that) over here was "Bene, Bene, Bene" - which failed to make Top 40. Sorry, no YouTube link.

Written By: Paul on 01/21/09 at 4:18 pm

Back to Brighton in 1974, with the lovely Gigliola Cinquetti almost winning Eurovision a second time...

(She eventually lost to a bunch of upstarts called Abba... :D)

Interestingly, the top three that year all charted in Britain (and yes, Gigliola had to undergo a 'translation'!)

Written By: Henk on 01/21/09 at 4:40 pm

Back to Brighton in 1974, with the lovely Gigliola Cinquetti almost winning Eurovision a second time...

(She eventually lost to a bunch of upstarts called Abba... :D)

Interestingly, the top three that year all charted in Britain (and yes, Gigliola had to undergo a 'translation'!)

Funny, I was just thinking about her. :)

Remind me to (re)start a thread about the ESC. Diane Warren, Andrew Loyd Webber and Jade (I think she's gonna be the one)...the secret formula? (I don't think so)

Written By: Paul on 01/21/09 at 4:46 pm

Remind me to (re)start a thread about the ESC. Diane Warren, Andrew Loyd Webber and Jade (I think she's gonna be the one)...the secret formula? (I don't think so)

I think the secret formula is to renounce your nationality and become a former eastern Bloc country!  ::)

Interestingly (or perhaps not), Italy don't enter the contest anymore!

Written By: Henk on 01/21/09 at 5:05 pm

I think the secret formula is to renounce your nationality and become a former eastern Bloc country!  ::)

Well, with the Poles invading... ::)

Interestingly (or perhaps not), Italy don't enter the contest anymore!

1997 was the last year they entered (and ended 4th, BTW). In hindsight, it might have been a smart move...

Written By: Paul on 01/21/09 at 5:11 pm

1997 was the last year they entered (and ended 4th, BTW). In hindsight, it might have been a smart move...

Indeed...

Have The Netherlands made any decisions regarding their song for this year, or am I being a bit hasty?  ???

(You obviously know about our...ahem...'foolproof' efforts!  :-[)

Written By: Henk on 01/21/09 at 5:14 pm

Indeed...

Have The Netherlands made any decisions regarding their song for this year, or am I being a bit hasty?  ???

(You obviously know about our...ahem...'foolproof' efforts!  :-[)

Don't get me started... We're gonna be the laughing stock this year, I'm afraid.

Written By: Paul on 01/21/09 at 5:17 pm

Don't get me started... We're gonna be the laughing stock this year, I'm afraid.

Oh dear... :(

Chin up! You can't do worse compared to our last five efforts, surely?  :D

Written By: Henk on 01/21/09 at 5:20 pm

Oh dear... :(

Chin up! You can't do worse compared to our last five efforts, surely?  :D

I wouldn't be too sure of that... Surely you remember OUR last five entries...? ::)

Written By: Paul on 01/21/09 at 5:22 pm

I wouldn't be too sure of that... Surely you remember OUR last five entries...? ::)

Not off the top of my head...but c'mon! You've got to go some way to even get near the sheer awfulness of Scooch!  8-P

Written By: Henk on 01/21/09 at 5:37 pm

Not off the top of my head...

Exactly my point. ;)

Written By: Paul on 01/21/09 at 5:39 pm

Hennyway...

Back to the Italiano songs...this (a traditional Italian song), became the biggest hit for Julius LaRosa waaaay back in 1953 (helped, no doubt, by his controversial 'on-air' firing by Arthur Godfrey at that time)...

A bit repetetive for my liking, but cute nonetheless...

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/21/09 at 8:16 pm

I like Jovanotti,anyone knows him? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2RccC7UCnY&feature=channel

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/09 at 9:09 pm

Man, Dolce Vita by Ryan Paris.  Do I ever love that song.  When I'd first heard it back in the late 90s (via UK charts from 1983 I found in a rock book I had), I used to scream at how it was NOT a hit in North America.  It's a nice, beautiful medley that actually makes you wonder why that was his only big hit

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/22/09 at 12:16 am

I've recently discovered the genius of Doris Norton (discography).

http://www.angelfire.com/music/nolimitsmusicfans/images/dorisnortonApple82.jpeg

Old-school Roland synthesizers, using 8-bit Apple II machines and early PC/XT (and in one of the bits of album art, what appears to be an IBM PC/AT) as sequencers and MIDI controllers.

The sound is somewhere around late-90s/early-00s trance and IDM.  Some vocals are recorded, others are processed through vocoders.  The more-danceable tracks of her early-80s material could fill a floor today.  Here are some excerpts of her early work.

She's still (along with her entire family, it appears) actively writing, producing, and performing various forms of electronic music.  The recent stuff is a very interesting twist on (whatever subgenre of techno you want to call it), and probably as far ahead of its time as her 80s material was ahead of its time.  I've just added a boatload of stuff to my "must-purchase" list. 

Written By: Henk on 01/22/09 at 4:50 pm

I like Jovanotti,anyone knows him? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2RccC7UCnY&feature=channel

Jovanotti...? Sure!  :) (Though not this particular song).

In our country, he's best known for his dance music...like this song, that hit #10 in our charts.

Another popular song: "l'Ombelico del Mondo".

Written By: Bobo on 01/22/09 at 7:32 pm

Having mentioned the Rokes earlier in the thread, I should have come across this sooner. Another dodgy cover version, and the best thing is, I still have no idea what either of them are singing.

And while I'm at it: here was an old Eurovision thread that saw very little action - other than from you two.

Written By: Henk on 01/26/09 at 4:43 pm

Here's a song that was a big hit over here in 1993/1994:

Laura Pausini - La Solitudine

...And I just thought of someone else that should be mentioned:

Paolo Conte - Via Con Me
Paolo Conte - Max

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/26/09 at 6:36 pm

Oh what about Eros Ramazzoti? Was he mentioned yet?

I really like this one with Tina Turner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7NHKwXiH7w&feature=channel

Written By: Henk on 02/06/09 at 7:29 am

I was reminded of Riccardo Cocciante by another post in another thread, so here:

Sincerità (live)

Margherita (live)

The latter song was (sorta) translated into Dutch and became a really big hit for Marco Borsato in my country.

Written By: Henk on 02/06/09 at 7:36 am

Oh what about Eros Ramazzoti? Was he mentioned yet?

I really like this one with Tina Turner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7NHKwXiH7w&feature=channel

That's a link to "Otra Como Tu" ("Un Altra Te") - not a duet with Tina Turner. Checking to see if anybody would notice...? ;)

I suppose you wanted to link to this song instead.
???
Not one of my favorites, btw.

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/06/09 at 1:46 pm

That's a link to "Otra Como Tu" ("Un Altra Te") - not a duet with Tina Turner. Checking to see if anybody would notice...? ;)

I suppose you wanted to link to this song instead.
???
Not one of my favorites, btw.

Yes, my bad :(

Written By: Henk on 02/06/09 at 1:57 pm

Yes, my bad :(

Ah, don't worry about it. Happens to all of us every now and then. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...