» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: May We Have Your Votes Please? - The Eurovison Song Contest

Written By: Henk on 01/24/09 at 2:53 pm

I've decided to start a new thread on the ESC (Euopean Song Contest) and maybe lock the other existing threads...
Reason for doing this: the other threads are really old, and parts of the earliest posts there have gone lost with time.

First post here is dedicated to all Dutch entries from 1956 onwards. So here they are, in reverse order: all Dutch entries for the ESC so far. As you can see, we’ve had only two entries making Top 5 in the past 25 years…But we’re not giving in!

2008: Hind – Your heart belongs to me
(2nd semi-final, 19 countries entering, DNQ for final) Not a bad song, but nothing special either.

2007: Edsilia Rombley – On top of the world
(semi-final, 28 countries entering, DNQ for final) Many say she should’ve sung the Dutch version. I’m not sure that would’ve made any difference.

2006: Treble – Amambanda
(semi-final, 23 countries entering, DNQ for final) We’d already lost the battle before it began, with those hard rock giants from Finland vs these three girls.

2005: Glennis Grace – My impossible dream
(semi-final, 25 countries entering, DNQ for final) Good song, good performance, but then we’ve seen this all before.

2004: Re-union – Without you
(final, 20th place of 24) …and those guys were disappointed!  ::)

2003: Esther Hart – One more night
(14th place of 26) Maybe this deserved a little bit more, although it’s nothing special really.

2002: No Dutch entry (due to our performance in 2001)

2001: Michelle – Out on my own
(19th place of 23) This was the opening act in 2001, and maybe that’s why it got kinda overlooked in the televoting. In spite of its poor performance in ESC, this song made Top 10 in our country – a lot more than can be said about many of our entries in the past 30 years!

2000: Linda – No goodbyes
(13th place of 24) This could’ve worked out SO much better…if only.

1999: Marlayne – One good reason
(8th place out of 23) Perhaps our best entry in the past 10 years.

1998: Edsilia Rombley – Hemel en aarde
(4th place out of 25) It was very close that year, with Israel winning. We could’ve won, perhaps, but in the end we came 22 points short.

1997: Mrs Einstein – Niemand heeft nog tijd
(joint 22nd place, out of 25) A stellar performance by the girls, really. But those dresses…

1996: Maxine & Franklin Brown – De eerste keer
(7th place out of 23) Nice – and that’s just about it.

1995: No Dutch entry (due to our performance in 1994)

1994: Willeke Alberti – Waar is de zon
(23rd place out of 25) Big, big mistake. Willeke Alberti is a great singer, just not for the ESC. One of our poorest entries ever.

1993: Ruth Jacott – Vrede
(6th place out of 25) Excellent stuff, and great lyrics too.

1992: Humphrey Campbell – Wijs me de weg
(9th place out of 23) I don’t quite understand how this made 9th place…it’s such a weird song.

1991: No Dutch entry (date of contest coincided with our national remembrance day)

1990: Maywood – Ik wil alles met je delen
(15th place out of 22) Not one of my favorites.

1989: Justine Pelmelay – Blijf zoals je bent
(15th place out of 22) Oh, those last notes…Costed us dearly.

1988: Gerard Joling – Shangri-la
(9th place out of 21) Oh, that last note…Why not go for the falsetto?

1987: Marcha – Rechtop in de wind
(joint 5th place out of 22) Now this is how it’s supposed to be done. Makes me proud to be Dutch.

1986: Frizzle Sizzle – Alles heeft ritme
(13th place out of 20) They could’ve (should’ve) done more on the choreography. It’s boring, really.

1985: No Dutch entry (date of contest coincided with our national remembrance day)

1984: Maribelle – Ik hou van jou
(joint 13th place out of 19) Not quite the success we hoped for. Still, this remains one of the most popular entries.

1983: Bernadette – Sing me a song
(7th place out of 20) Hmm. Not as good as I remembered.

1982: Bill van Dijk – Jij en ik
(16th place out of 18) Truly one of the poorest songs we ever entered.

1981: Linda Williams – Het is een wonder
(9th place out of 20) This is, IMHO, the worst song we ever entered. And to think it still got to #9…It’s a miracle, indeed.

1980: Maggie MacNeal – Amsterdam
(5th place out of 19) A great song… Too bad it had to compete against Johnny Logan.

1979: Xandra – Colorado
(12th place out of 19) Third time’s the charm..? Not for Xandra (Sandra Reemer), who also entered in 1976 and 1972.

1978: Harmony – ‘t Is oké
(13th place out of 20) An OK ditty, nothing special. Nothing to brag about.

1977: Heddy Lester – De mallemolen
(12th place out of 18) Underrated, many say. Maybe so.

1976: Sandra Reemer - The party is over
(9th place out of 18) Average – just like its placing.

1975: Teach In – Ding-a-dong
(WINNING SONG) The last time we ever won the ESC, 34 years ago already…  :(

1974: Mouth & MacNeal – I see a star
(3rd place out of 17) Ah, those were the days… Sadly Mouth (Willem Duin) passed away a couple of years ago.

1973: Ben Cramer – De oude muzikant
(14th place out of 17) We’ve a unlucky hand when it comes to picking male vocalists… Not that this is such a bad song, mind you.

1972: Sandra & Andres – Als het om de liefde gaat
(4th place out of 18) Maybe a tad overrated, but I’m not complaining. ;)

1971: Saskia & Serge – De tijd
(joint 6th place out of 18) Quite forgettable, this one.

1970: Patricia & Hearts of Soul – Waterman
(7th place out of 12) Opening act of the 1970 ESC. I’m not impressed.

1969: Lenny Kuhr – De troubadour
(JOINT WINNING SONG) One of the four (!) songs winning that year (although many claim Lulu was the true winner). I’m not sure what televoters would think about this song if it were to enter this year.

1968: Ronnie Tober – Morgen
(joint 16th place, joint last) Actually, not a bad song at all. Just too heavily orchestrated.

1967: Thérèse Steinmetz – Ring-dinge-ding
(joint 14th place out of 17) Well, at least it’s cheerful.  :-\\

1966: Milly Scott – Fernando en Filippo
(15th place out of 18) The first black artist to enter, and the first to have a handheld microphone. The world wasn’t ready for that many novelties…

1965: Conny Vandenbos – ‘t Is genoeg
(11th place out of 18) Again, not a bad song, and a great performance. It must’ve been all the hard “g’s” that put people off.

1964: Anneke Grönloh – Jij bent mijn leven
(joint 10th place out of 16) (Sorry - no video, just audio) Young and talented singer, but she couldn’t help the song was rubbish.

1963: Annie Palmen – Een speeldoos
(joint 13th place, joint last) Talk about rubbish… The second (and hopefully last) time we ended up with zero points - and rightfully so!

1962: De Spelbrekers – Katinka
(joint 13th place, joint last) The first time we ended up with the dreaded Zero Points. Many blame the faulty lighting (the video shows the actual footage, as viewers throughout Europe saw it that day).

1961: Greetje Kauffeld – Wat een dag
(joint 10th place, out of 16) I’m not too fond of this one. Quite forgettable.

1960: Rudy Carrell – Wat een geluk
(12th place out of 13) Only 12th place seems a bit harsh for “Der Rudy”. Well, he didn’t mind much and became a familiar face on German television.

1959: Teddy Scholten – Een beetje
(WINNING  SONG) The second time we won the contest, and this was only the fourth contest ever! We thought we ruled the world (or something).

1958: Corry Brokken – Heel de wereld
(joint 9th place, joint last) Corry Brokken’s third entry, and the poorest performance of them all. She’s still the only artist to have come both first and last in ESC. She went on to become a judge, no less.

1957: Corry Brokken – Net als toen
(WINNING SONG) Yay! We’ve won! But why, exactly?

1956: Jetty Paerl – De vogels van Holland / Corry Brokken – Voorgoed voorbij
(rankings unknown) (No video, as the tapes were wiped) Another two songs that are better best forgotten. Only the winner of this contest was revealed, so there’s no telling how the other entries faired

Subject: Re: May We Have Your Votes Please? - The Eurovison Song Contest

Written By: Paul on 01/25/09 at 11:36 am

1991: No Dutch entry (date of contest coincided with our national remembrance day)

1985: No Dutch entry (date of contest coincided with our national remembrance day)

Quite honestly, you'd have thought whoever organises this whole affair would take this into account... :-\\

Written By: Henk on 01/25/09 at 11:44 am

Quite honestly, you'd have thought whoever organises this whole affair would take this into account... :-\\

Well, you can't please them all...After all, there were some 25 countries involved (in those days).

Written By: Paul on 01/25/09 at 11:51 am

Well, you can't please them all...After all, there were some 25 countries involved (in those days).

But would it have broken the organisers' hearts (and minds!) to shove the contest back or forward a week?  ???

Certainly an exhaustive list, Henk...I'm currently ploughing my way through the 'golden period'! Thanks for posting!  :)

Written By: Henk on 01/25/09 at 12:10 pm

But would it have broken the organisers' hearts (and minds!) to shove the contest back or forward a week?  ???

I don't think the hosting countries would've been the ones complaining, but maybe one or two other participating countries (like maybe Germany or Spain).

Not that it matters much, in retrospect - it only saved us the embarrassment.  ;)

Certainly an exhaustive list, Henk...I'm currently ploughing my way through the 'golden period'! Thanks for posting!  :)

The 'golden period'...? Now when was that? :-\\

Written By: Paul on 01/25/09 at 12:13 pm

The 'golden period'...? Now when was that? :-\\

It's only a matter of personal opinion, but I perceive it to be 1970-83/4...

Written By: Henk on 01/25/09 at 12:26 pm

It's only a matter of personal opinion, but I perceive it to be 1970-83/4...

Ah! I thought you meant our golden age.

Written By: Paul on 01/25/09 at 12:30 pm

Ah! I thought you meant our golden age.

Heh! Can't speak for you, but that is my golden age!  ;)

Written By: Henk on 01/25/09 at 12:42 pm

Heh! Can't speak for you, but that is my golden age!  ;)

Sorry, I meant to say: the Dutch golden period in ESC. Which we haven't had... ;)

2000: Linda – No goodbyes
(13th place of 24) This could’ve worked out SO much better…if only.

Not a lot of people have seen this performance live in The Netherlands.
Reason being that the transmission of the ESC on Dutch television was interrupted because on that very evening (May 13, 2000) an entire residential area in Enschede got blown to smithereens when a fireworks depot exploded, killing 22.

I remember we switched to German television that evening. Talk about priorities...

Written By: Paul on 01/25/09 at 1:11 pm

Not a lot of people have seen this performance live in The Netherlands.
Reason being that the transmission of the ESC on Dutch television was interrupted because on that very evening (May 13, 2000) an entire residential area in Enschede got blown to smithereens when a fireworks depot exploded, killing 22.

I remember that! I believe the event also disrupted The Netherlands points results...

Sad to hear that 22 people perished... :\'(

Written By: Henk on 02/02/09 at 10:06 am

And now it’s time to reveal the Dutch 2009 entry…It’s gonna be these three guys, known as De Toppers:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/17/785141/toppersOud.jpg

(L – R: Gerard Joling, René Froger, Gordon)

Hey wait, Gerard Joling… isn’t that the guy..?
Yes it is. He already entered for The Netherlands in 1988 (with “Shangri La”) and he decided to give it another go.
Gordon also had a previous go at the Contest (twice), but he didn't make it through the Dutch selections of 1990 and 1999.

But shortly after the three announced their participation, Gerard Joling and Gordon got into an argument which ultimately lead to Joling leaving the trio.
So now there was a big problem. The Dutch broadcasting corporation, responsible for the entry, didn’t want to change plans and in great haste the search  for a replacement was started.

Long story short: this is going to be Topper #3:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/17/785141/jeroen__van_der_boom.jpg

His name is Jeroen van der Boom, another rather popular Dutch singer, with a couple of Top 10 hits to his name. He’s not as charismatic as Gerard Joling, which is a minus point, and I consider him to be the weakest link.

Yesterday, the Dutch final took place and the song for the ESC was chosen. The winning song Shine was not the jury's favorite (second choice), but it still won because of the Dutch televotes. It's already available on the Eurovison site, so I think I can safely post a link.

I don't think we stand much chance. We * might *  just reach the final, but that's about it. The song is not bad, but we've heard it all before (and better: think 1997).

There's a little interesting tidbit: after the show, Gordon revealed that he was one of the composers of the song, but he had used an alias when entering to give the song a fair chance. Having "his" song win the Dutch final brought the singer to tears. (Awwwwwww....
::))

Written By: Paul on 02/02/09 at 12:59 pm

Catchy enough tune, but I'll have to agree that it's not a winner... :-\\

I suppose you now know what our dirge is!

And hey, she looks a bit like Leona...perhaps we can fool Eastern Europe into thinking that's who it is!  ;)

Mind you, she'll have to polish up that performance a bit!  :D

Written By: Henk on 02/02/09 at 5:55 pm

Catchy enough tune, but I'll have to agree that it's not a winner... :-\\

You know what the really sad thing is...? It was revealed today that the singers were lip syncing. So we have no idea what the song will sound like at all when performed live.

I suppose you now know what our dirge is!

And hey, she looks a bit like Leona...perhaps we can fool Eastern Europe into thinking that's who it is!  ;)

Mind you, she'll have to polish up that performance a bit!  :D

Told you it was gonna be her. ::) I wish her the best of luck, but I don't see a winner there too. Well, at least she was singing live. ;)

Written By: Paul on 02/02/09 at 6:17 pm

You know what the really sad thing is...? It was revealed today that the singers were lip syncing. So we have no idea what the song will sound like at all when performed live.

Hoboy! Just pray that it isn't as bad as Jemini's 'live' effort!  :P

Written By: Henk on 02/03/09 at 9:39 am

Hoboy! Just pray that it isn't as bad as Jemini's 'live' effort!  :P

Or how about these girls...  ::) :D Oh yes, we've tried the whole twin thing once too, you know. Unfortunately, these girl weren't as talented. :-[

I don't know why they got applauded... :-\\

Written By: Henk on 03/19/09 at 5:16 pm

There's some interesting news on the draw for the semi finals...

The Dutch entry was given a wild card, which meant we could pick any spot in the lineup. And which spot did the "Toppers" pick? ...Dead last!  :D (Which means we're gonna be the last entry in the second semi final)

So, if it doesn't work out, we can't blame it on the draw...

Written By: karen on 03/19/09 at 9:40 pm

I sometimes think being towards the end is good because your entry is more in the minds of the voting public.

Written By: Henk on 03/20/09 at 3:20 pm

I sometimes think being towards the end is good because your entry is more in the minds of the voting public.

I don't think so - I know so.

I've done some research on the matter in the past, and being one of the last artists to perform (final five) definitely gives you an advantage over artists that sing somewhere in the middle. Not saying that every song towards the end always scores better, but it helps - big time!

I'm afraid I've thrown away the paper work to prove it, though. :-\\

Written By: karen on 03/20/09 at 4:46 pm

I haven't analysed it but that was always my 'gut' feeling on it

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/09 at 4:55 pm

I have still yet to hear the Biritsh entry for this year...

...if it is worth it?

Written By: Henk on 03/20/09 at 5:16 pm

I have still yet to hear the Biritsh entry for this year...

...if it is worth it?

I dare you... ::)

I don't see it winning, but it would also surprise me if it would end up with zero points.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/09 at 5:19 pm

I dare you... ::)

I don't see it winning, but it would also surprise me if it would end up with zero points.
Andrew Lloyd Webber had his hand in composing it, so if it does do well our lesson has been learnt, but we still have to overcome the Eastern Block.

Written By: Henk on 05/09/09 at 9:42 am

Bumping this one, 'cause we're getting closer to the semi-finals (next Tuesday and Thursday).

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/09 at 9:44 am

Bumping this one, 'cause we're getting closer to the semi-finals (next Tuesday and Thursday).

Thanks, so that means next week (Saturday) will the (final) main contest.

Written By: Henk on 05/09/09 at 9:49 am

Thanks, so that means next week (Saturday) will the (final) main contest.

Indeed, and I'll be watching.

I'll be missing most of the first semi-final, though. Tuesday evening is choir practice.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/09 at 9:51 am

Indeed, and I'll be watching.

I'll be missing most of the first semi-final, though. Tuesday evening is choir practice.
The semis may be on BBC tv, but the final (for the UK) will not be the same for this year there will be no Sir Terry Wogan.

Written By: Henk on 05/12/09 at 4:26 pm

Tonight was the night of the first semi-final. Like I already announced, I missed most of it (only got to hear the last two songs live).

But when the voting started and short clippings of the songs were shown, it became quite obvious that I didn't miss an awful lot. Most of the songs were pretty mediocre, and some were even worse.

In the end, 10 countries/songs made it to the final (because those are the rules). They are (in no particular order): Sweden, Armenia, Turkey, Israel, Iceland, Rumania, Finland, Portugal, Malta en Bosnia-Herzegovina.

So no Belgium... but I didn't like their entry anyway.

Next semi-final (with the Netherlands) next Thursday. Fingers crossed...

Written By: Henk on 05/14/09 at 4:19 pm

Today was the day of the second semi-final. Long story short: we didn't make the cut. :\'(

So for the fifth year in a row, no final with Holland.

Written By: Paul on 05/14/09 at 4:23 pm

Today was the day of the second semi-final. Long story short: we didn't make the cut. :\'(

So for the fifth year in a row, no final with Holland.

Comiserations, Henk...

(To be fair, if not for the fact that we (as a nation) keep throwing shedloads of cash at this Eastern-European vote-fest, we wouldn't get anywhere near the finals either!  :P)

I might watch a bit of it, but the magic went out of it years ago!

Written By: Henk on 05/14/09 at 4:39 pm

Comiserations, Henk...

Thanks, Paul. I find some consolation in the fact that Ireland (for instance) didn't make it either.

(To be fair, if not for the fact that we (as a nation) keep throwing shedloads of cash at this Eastern-European vote-fest, we wouldn't get anywhere near the finals either!  :P)

True dat!

I might watch a bit of it, but the magic went out of it years ago!

Oh, yes: the good old days of nuclear warfare and secret rendez-vous' are long gone... ;)

You know...the latter isn't actually a bad composition. They were just a bit ahead of their time.

Written By: Henk on 05/14/09 at 4:52 pm

So who DID make the final (from the second semi-final)? The following countries: Croatia, Norway, Denmark, Azarbaijan, Greece, Lithunia, Moldova, Albania, Ukraine en Estonia.

Along with the winners from the first semi-final and the five largest financial contributors (Spain, UK, Germany and France, who are automatically qualified), as well as last years' winner Russia, they'll be making up the field for the final on Saturday.

Written By: Paul on 05/14/09 at 4:59 pm

Back in the day, you could always rely on Luxembourg to give us all a good laugh!  :D

(Mind you, we had Prima Donna that year, which was almost as bad!)

Written By: Henk on 05/16/09 at 12:02 pm

Back in the day, you could always rely on Luxembourg to give us all a good laugh!  :D

Still, they ended up in 9th place...

(Mind you, we had Prima Donna that year, which was almost as bad!)

Not that bad, considering you came in 3rd place. ;)

Written By: Henk on 05/16/09 at 12:53 pm

So I've had a (short) listen to all the songs competing tonight...

Keeping in mind that we have a 50/50 public and jury vote this year, these are my suggestions for the top 10 spots (in alphabetic order):

Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Estonia, France, Greece, Malta, Norway, Sweden, Ukraine and...United Kingdom. :o

Yes, UK too, because a) you're #23 in starting order, and b) you'll get high jury votes no doubt.

Now if it was up to me, I'd like to see Bosnia & Herzegovina and Norway compete for first place, with Estonia in third place.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/09 at 2:04 pm

Just discovered I can watch the Eurovison Song Contest online.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/09 at 2:38 pm

After seven songs my money is on Iceland's Is It True? by Johanna

Written By: Paul on 05/16/09 at 6:02 pm

Now if it was up to me, I'd like to see Bosnia & Herzegovina and Norway compete for first place, with Estonia in third place.

Not exactly much 'competing' going on, was there?  ;)

Still, at least it wasn't an 'eastern' country walking off with the honours...not really heard the winning song in full, but it has to be better than 'La det swinge'!

Top marks to Holland once again for letting a lovely young thing announce their votes!

Written By: Henk on 05/17/09 at 1:27 am

After seven songs my money is on Iceland's Is It True? by Johanna

Iceland finished second, so you were in good company. I didn't expect it to do so well, to be honest.

Not exactly much 'competing' going on, was there?  ;)

I must say I was surprised by the overwhelming supremacy of Norway. Certainly didn't see that one coming.

Still, at least it wasn't an 'eastern' country walking off with the honours...not really heard the winning song in full, but it has to be better than 'La det swinge'!

Fixed!  ;) Alexander Rybak may not be the world's greatest singer, but the composition as a whole is excellent.

Top marks to Holland once again for letting a lovely young thing announce their votes!

That was the lovely Yolanthe Cabau van Kasbergen, and though she may have told Europe she fell in love with Alexander Rybak, her heart belongs to one of Holland's most popular singers, Jan Smit.

Written By: Henk on 05/17/09 at 1:43 am

Keeping in mind that we have a 50/50 public and jury vote this year, these are my suggestions for the top 10 spots (in alphabetic order):

Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Estonia, France, Greece, Malta, Norway, Sweden, Ukraine and...United Kingdom. :o

And this is the Top 10 as it should have been:

01. Norway
02. Iceland
03. Azerbaijan
04. Turkey
05. United Kingdom
06. Estonia
07. Greece
08. France
09. Bosnia & Herzegovina
10. Armenia

So I got six out of ten. Not that bad, but I totally missed nrs 2, 3 and 4. :-[ I honestly expected the (low) jury marks to outweigh the (high) public marks for Azerbaijan and Turkey. Those two songs were hardly original.
Iceland on the other hand comes as a nice surprise. I expected it to drown in the crowd.

Future of ESC looks to be saved, with the reintroduction of jury votes. Norway winning, Iceland second, UK and France both in Top 10...and of course, the Turkish singer hails from Belgium. No reason to complain for western Europe anymore.

Spain (23rd) and Germany (20th) need to do their homework again.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/09 at 1:57 am

Two songs last night sounded like other songs, the Swedish entry sound like Nessum Dorma and the German entry was very similar to "Minnie The Moocher".

Written By: Paul on 05/17/09 at 7:49 am

Alexander Rybak may not be the world's greatest singer, but the composition as a whole is excellent.

Does nothing for me, I'm afraid...a very 'average' tune, but I see its cross-nation appeal!  :-\\

That was the lovely Yolanthe Cabau van Kasbergen, and though she may have told Europe she fell in love with Alexander Rybak, her heart belongs to one of Holland's most popular singers, Jan Smit.

Lucky sod!  >:(

For the benefit of our non-European red-blooded males...http://i00.bdbphotos.com/8L/74/0000307874-45884L.jpg

Written By: Bobo on 05/17/09 at 8:09 am

I knew there was a reason I was concentrating on this thread!

Written By: Henk on 05/17/09 at 10:06 am

Two songs last night sounded like other songs, the Swedish entry sound like Nessum Dorma and the German entry was very similar to "Minnie The Moocher".

That's probably why both entries ended up in bottom-six (Sweden: 21st, Germany: 20th).

Some trivia:
- The Netherlands ended up 17th(!) in their semi-final. Umm...better luck next year? :-\\
- Finland ended dead last in the final. History repeating... ::)
- Malta's 22nd place is their worst result ever (although they ended last in 1971 and 1972 competitions).

Written By: Criz on 05/17/09 at 10:16 am

I really didn't like the Norwegian entry.

Some terrible songs, some good ones again this year. I think the voting was much fairer with this new system.

I liked Estonia's and Portugal's songs the most I gotta say. I much prefer it when the artists don't sing in English - that's how it used to be and that was the show's appeal.

Written By: Henk on 05/17/09 at 10:17 am

Future of ESC looks to be saved, with the reintroduction of jury votes. Norway winning, Iceland second, UK and France both in Top 10...and of course, the Turkish singer hails from Belgium. No reason to complain for western Europe anymore.

Also note that there is only one former Yugoslav republic in the Top 10.

Croatia ended in 18th place, while Serbia, Slovenia and Montenegro didn't even make the final.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/09 at 1:39 am

Also note that there is only one former Yugoslav republic in the Top 10.

Croatia ended in 18th place, while Serbia, Slovenia and Montenegro didn't even make the final.
Cyprus who did not qualify for the finall still gave 12 points to Greece.

Written By: Criz on 05/18/09 at 11:05 am

As they always do. And if Cyprus were in the final, Greece would have given them 12 points also.

It's the same every year, but to be fair, Sakis is a massive star in both countries. My cousin who lives there is 14 and she's in love with him - she has him on her duvet!! I think it's a little bit creepy... :S  8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/09 at 11:10 am

As they always do. And if Cyprus were in the final, Greece would have given them 12 points also.

It's the same every year, but to be fair, Sakis is a massive star in both countries. My cousin who lives there is 14 and she's in love with him - she has him on her duvet!! I think it's a little bit creepy... :S  8-P
This year it was different and the system worked.

Written By: Henk on 05/18/09 at 1:57 pm

Sad, but true - even if the songs suck big time and they don't get points from anyone else...

I must admit though, that I liked this song better than Sakis Rouvas' 2004 entry "Shake It" (that earned him a 3rd place).

She does know he's old enough to be her father, right?  :-\\

Written By: Criz on 05/18/09 at 2:00 pm

This year it was different and the system worked.

I'm glad it worked beacuse it was getting ridiculous.

I find it kinda funny that they do it every year - and totally ignore Turkey. But then that's just Cypriot politics. I actually think Greece gave Turkey something like 3 points this year which was surprising.

Written By: Criz on 05/18/09 at 2:02 pm

Sad, but true - even if the songs suck big time and they don't get points from anyone else...

I must admit though, that I liked this song better than Sakis Rouvas' 2004 entry "Shake It" (that earned him a 3rd place).

She does know he's old enough to be her father, right?  :-\\

I thought 'Shake it' was awful also but I prefered it to this year's entry. I think Sakis needs to quit Eurovision now - he's entered 3 times now and needs to give it a rest. Same with Malta's Chiara - she didn't fair too well on Saturday either.

As I said - he's just this massive star over there. I'm sure she'll regret her teenage crush in the years to come!!! :)

Written By: Henk on 05/18/09 at 2:13 pm

I'm glad it worked beacuse it was getting ridiculous.

I find it kinda funny that they do it every year - and totally ignore Turkey. But then that's just Cypriot politics. I actually think Greece gave Turkey something like 3 points this year which was surprising.

Greece and Turkey have been ignoring each other for decades. But that has changed ever since the massive earthquake in Turkey in 1999 (when even Greece came to the rescue). Both countries have been exchanging points ever since (on and off).
Cyprus and Turkey on the other hand...

Written By: Criz on 05/18/09 at 2:28 pm

Greece and Turkey have been ignoring each other for decades. But that has changed ever since the massive earthquake in Turkey in 1999 (when even Greece came to the rescue). Both countries have been exchanging points ever since (on and off).
Cyprus and Turkey on the other hand...

The Cypriot/Turkish saga will be ongoing until something huge changes in Cyprus. It's embedded into the lives of many Cypriots to hate the Turkish people, which of course isn't right - but it's very difficult to contend with when you are from a Cypriot background. I don't think there will be an reconciliation from both parties until the Turks leave Cyprus - and that is not going to happen any time soon. Seeing that divide in Nicosia really does hit it home to you. My dad fought in the war in 1974 and he just can't bear to talk about it - he obviously saw too much.   

Whoa...this is getting all deep for a discussion on the Eurovision Song Contest...soooo...who wants to buy Svetlana's flat in the Ukraine?  ;)

Written By: Henk on 05/18/09 at 2:47 pm

I've done some quick research. Luckily I have the votes from 2000 onward at hand. ::)
In 2000, Greece didn't participate, so no points exchanged there. But in the following years (2001 - 2008), Greece has awarded Turkey with 27 points, while Turkey gave 49 points to Greece (including 12 in 2005). :o So there's not much left of the old controversy, or so it seems.

The Cypriot/Turkish saga will be ongoing until something huge changes in Cyprus. It's embedded into the lives of many Cypriots to hate the Turkish people, which of course isn't right - but it's very difficult to contend with when you are from a Cypriot background. I don't think there will be an reconciliation from both parties until the Turks leave Cyprus - and that is not going to happen any time soon. Seeing that divide in Nicosia really does hit it home to you. My dad fought in the war in 1974 and he just can't bear to talk about it - he obviously saw too much.   

Whoa...this is getting all deep for a discussion on the Eurovision Song Contest...soooo...who wants to buy Svetlana's flat in the Ukraine?  ;)

I have nothing against deep discussions on the subject, but maybe you're right - we have other sections to discuss those matters.

One final comment, though: I'd hate to be living on the Turkish part of Cyprus, getting totally ignored by the entire world minus Turkey.

As far as Svetlana's flat is concerned: she can keep it, if she promises never to return to the ESC.

Written By: Criz on 05/19/09 at 10:14 am

I've done some quick research. Luckily I have the votes from 2000 onward at hand. ::)
In 2000, Greece didn't participate, so no points exchanged there. But in the following years (2001 - 2008), Greece has awarded Turkey with 27 points, while Turkey gave 49 points to Greece (including 12 in 2005). :o So there's not much left of the old controversy, or so it seems.

I have nothing against deep discussions on the subject, but maybe you're right - we have other sections to discuss those matters.

One final comment, though: I'd hate to be living on the Turkish part of Cyprus, getting totally ignored by the entire world minus Turkey.

As far as Svetlana's flat is concerned: she can keep it, if she promises never to return to the ESC.

Wow research at hand! So Greece and Turkey are exchanging votes but it's not going to happen with Cyprus any tme soon!

Written By: Henk on 05/20/09 at 1:29 pm

Latest news, made official yesterday: the couple broke up.

Written By: Paul on 05/20/09 at 1:31 pm

Right! If everyone would like to form an orderly queue...behind me!  ;)

Written By: Henk on 05/20/09 at 1:35 pm

...but rumour has it she's now dating soccer player Wesley Sneijder... ::) :P

Written By: Henk on 05/13/11 at 5:28 am

...but rumour has it she's now dating soccer player Wesley Sneijder... ::) :P

Two years have passed, and the two have since married.

Written By: Henk on 05/13/11 at 5:30 am

And FTR: No, the Netherlands didn't qualify for the final of ESC in 2010 AND 2011. That's SEVEN years in a row!! (A record, but not one to be proud of)

Oh, don't get me wrong: we hardly deserved a place in the final. Not this year, or any of the previous 6 years for that matter. Songs were mediocre at best. Maybe we should skip a year (or two...)

Written By: Paul on 05/13/11 at 9:18 am

Ye Gods...not only have the awful Jedward snuck into the competition, but they've been placed as 2nd favourites!  :o

Written By: Henk on 05/13/11 at 1:38 pm

Ye Gods...not only have the awful Jedward snuck into the competition, but they've been placed as 2nd favourites!  :o

You know... the moment they "opened" the "envelope" revealing Ireland made it to the final, I was like "OK, that seals it. If they're through, we're definitely out!" (and I was right)  ;D

And for those not familiar with the Irish twins John and Edward (a.k.a. Jedward)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRs-LWnpVo

Written By: Henk on 05/13/11 at 1:48 pm

For the sake of comparison, here's the Dutch entry of 2011:

3Js - Never Alone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlneiG2bGuE

...And to fill in the gaps, here's the Dutch entry of 2010 too:

Ik Ben Verliefd (Sha-La-Lie) - Sieneke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aARooQAfy8

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/11 at 1:52 pm

Regarding this year ESC, I have not heard Jedwood or Blue entries yet and I wish to keep it that way.

Written By: Henk on 05/13/11 at 2:05 pm

Regarding this year ESC, I have not heard Jedwood or Blue entries yet and I wish to keep it that way.

So I guess you won't be watching tomorrow evening then...? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/11 at 2:12 pm

So I guess you won't be watching tomorrow evening then...? ???
I am tempted to, I have been a fan of the show in the past, and probably will end up watching it.

Written By: Paul on 05/13/11 at 3:13 pm

You know... the moment they "opened" the "envelope" revealing Ireland made it to the final, I was like "OK, that seals it. If they're through, we're definitely out!" (and I was right)  ;D

Some folk couldn't have thought Ireland would sink much lower than that turkey puppet from a couple of years back...

No wonder the country's gone broke...

The Dutch entry was infinitely much better...very Del Amitri-ish...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/11 at 3:19 pm

I've decided to start a new thread on the ESC (Euopean Song Contest) and maybe lock the other existing threads...
Reason for doing this: the other threads are really old, and parts of the earliest posts there have gone lost with time.

First post here is dedicated to all Dutch entries from 1956 onwards. So here they are, in reverse order: all Dutch entries for the ESC so far. As you can see, we’ve had only two entries making Top 5 in the past 25 years…But we’re not giving in!

1974: Mouth & MacNeal – I see a star
(3rd place out of 17) Ah, those were the days… Sadly Mouth (Willem Duin) passed away a couple of years ago.

I remember this song!

...and liked it!

Written By: Bobo on 05/13/11 at 3:50 pm

I haven't watched either semi final yet. But I still have time! Muahahaha. Tomorrow is going to be fun!

Written By: Paul on 05/13/11 at 4:04 pm

I remember this song!

...and liked it!

A very strong field of songs that year...wonder what became of the group who won it?  ??? ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/11 at 4:14 pm

A very strong field of songs that year...wonder what became of the group who won it?  ??? ;)
They did not last long, split up in under ten years.

Written By: Henk on 05/14/11 at 2:28 am

They did not last long, split up in under ten years.

Tru dat. Last I heard, they're planning a reunion. For real, this time!

Wonder if they still have the suits... :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/11 at 1:03 pm

I have just heard the French entry, Sognu sung by Amaury Vassili, the song is opera based and is the best I have yet, I do want it to win.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/11 at 3:59 pm

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/52726000/jpg/_52726636_011978924-1.jpg

Jedward, the horror of Eurovision?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/11 at 5:27 pm

Azerbaijan wins the Eurovision Song Contest 2011 in Düsseldorf, Germany with the entry "Running Scared"

More tomorrow

Written By: Henk on 05/15/11 at 1:05 am

Azerbaijan wins the Eurovision Song Contest 2011 in Düsseldorf, Germany with the entry "Running Scared"

More tomorrow

Rather surprisingly to me, I must admit, even though it was doing extremely well with the bookies.

It's good to see Italy taking second place, although I didn't like the song at all. This'll encourage them to come back next year.

Denmark, United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Spain... not quite the results they were hoping for.

After hearing all the songs, I was expecting it to be close to the very end, and it was - until Azerbaijan broke away from the pack.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/11 at 1:07 am

Rather surprisingly to me, I must admit, even though it was doing extremely well with the bookies.

It's good to see Italy taking second place, although I didn't like the song at all. This'll encourage them to come back next year.

Denmark, United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Spain... not quite the results they were hoping for.

After hearing all the songs, I was expecting it to be close to the very end, and it was - until Azerbaijan broke away from the pack.
I was expecting better results for Jedward, being Irish, being from The X Factor, and the votes from their fans in the UK.

Written By: Henk on 05/15/11 at 1:21 am

The winning song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq2yLykdjvA

And yes, they sing out of tune. Several times.

The number two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Z-UlUSZWw

And the number three:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R12mO_z8VxY

Written By: Henk on 05/15/11 at 1:23 am

Oh, and the results of the two semi finals have also been revealed. Turns out we (the Netherlands) ended last in our semi final... :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/11 at 1:28 am

The winning song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq2yLykdjvA

And yes, they sing out of tune. Several times.

The number two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Z-UlUSZWw

And the number three:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R12mO_z8VxY
Sweden did seem popular with the other Scandinavian countries.

Written By: Henk on 05/15/11 at 1:34 am

Sweden did seem popular with the other Scandinavian countries.

Well... isn't that a given? ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/11 at 1:36 am

Well... isn't that a given? ::)
Also, in other quarters of Europe.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/11 at 1:37 am

One song last night, I cannot remember which, had a piano introduction of which sounded like "Sunrise Sunset" from the musical Fiddler On The Roof.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/11 at 1:41 am

Let us not forget Moldova

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF21pTGtKTw

Written By: Henk on 05/16/11 at 1:06 pm

Let us not forget Moldova

I say: let's, please.  ;D

Written By: Henk on 05/16/11 at 1:15 pm

Surprise, surprise...

Dutch broadcasting company TROS, responsible for the 2011 and 2010 Dutch entries, has announced to "take a different approach to things" next year. ::) It is not yet clear what will be changed, but I figure any change is a change for the better. ;D

FTR: the entire budget for the Dutch entry is a measly EUR 200,000 / GBP 175,000 / USD 280,000 (that includes artist's fees, publicity and transport - and we'll be going to Azerbaijan next year! :o).

Written By: Henk on 05/28/11 at 3:09 am

Surprise, surprise...

Dutch broadcasting company TROS, responsible for the 2011 and 2010 Dutch entries, has announced to "take a different approach to things" next year. ::) It is not yet clear what will be changed, but I figure any change is a change for the better. ;D

Bearing that in mind, I'm not sure why singer Gordon (who was one of the Toppers, the Dutch 2009 entry) has stepped forward as a possible candidate to represent the Netherlands in 2012 ESC... :-\\

He'll join forces with his latest protégés, Los Angeles The Voices. Should sound something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siBJk9PX-L4

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/11 at 7:29 am

Can Luxembourg please explain this song from 1980, Papa Pingouin by Sophie and Magaly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu9RictLX3I

Written By: Henk on 05/31/11 at 8:55 am

Can Luxembourg please explain this song from 1980, Papa Pingouin by Sophie and Magaly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu9RictLX3I

There's no excuse for a crappy song like that - not even the fact that it's Eurovision Song Contest, and thus crappy by default.

BTW: the song was written by one Ralph Siegel... ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...