» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: European countries

Written By: Fairee07 on 02/22/09 at 7:24 pm

Subject: Re: European countries

Written By: gibbo on 02/22/09 at 8:55 pm

That was difficult as I would count Italy and Vatican City as one normally. I chose the obvious bigger/higher profile countries. I have always wanted to see Austria (ever since the opening scenes of The Sound of Music).

If I could choose more....I would love to visit cities such as Moscow,  Budapest and Prague....

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/09 at 7:51 am

As I am based in a European country, I am already here, I still wished to travel around Europe, but money is hard now.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/23/09 at 8:12 am

Well, I have been to England, Scotland, and France, and wouldn't mind a return trip.  As for countries I haven't been to I chose Norway(ancestors), the Ukraine(the Odessa Steps), and Moscow(read a lot of the Russian writers)

Written By: robby76 on 02/23/09 at 11:08 am

I've been to France and the UK. The only others that I'd like to go see are Switzerland and Ireland. Both mostly for their scenery / countryside.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/23/09 at 11:57 am

Can I choose All of the above?

I've been to Greece & Germany and I would LOVE to go back to Germany and wouldn't mind going back to Greece but it is like "Been there, done that." I saw a couple of airports in Italy as well as one in Azores (which was beautiful-wouldn't mind going back and spending some time there, too).

I would love to see England, Netherlands (Henk  ;) ), Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Norway, Iceland, Monaco, Switzerland, etc, etc.

Cat

Written By: statsqueen on 02/23/09 at 8:23 pm

Scotland, Ireland, Norway, Italy, Netherlands, France, Spain

Written By: Dagwood on 02/23/09 at 11:03 pm

Ireland, Italy, Russia, Sweden, United Kingdom and Vatican City

Written By: Davester on 02/25/09 at 12:22 am

It's only European :( 

From the list: UK (again), Macedonia, Germany (again), Greece...

No European - Syria, Israel (again), Jordan...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/05/09 at 3:08 am

Why am I the only one who wants to go to Liechtenstein?  Lovely little country, very quaint.

Written By: karen on 03/05/09 at 9:35 pm

Why am I the only one who wants to go to Liechtenstein?  Lovely little country, very quaint.

“Everything about Liechtenstein is ridiculous. For a start it is ridiculously small – barely 1/250th the size of Switzerland, which is itself ridiculously small. Liechtenstein is the last remaining fragment of the Holy Roman Empire, and so obscure that its ruling family didn't bother to come and see it for 150 years.

It has two political parties, popularly known as the Reds and the Blacks, which have so few ideological differences that they share a motto: “Faith in God, Prince, and Fatherland.”

Liechtenstein's last military engagement was in 1866, when it sent eighty men to fight against the Italians. Nobody was killed. In fact – you're going to like this – they came back with 81 men, because they had made a friend on the way.

Two years later, realizing that the Liechtensteiners could beat no one, the crown prince disbanded the army.

Liechtenstein is the world's largest producer of sausage casings and false teeth. It is a notorious tax haven, the only country in the world with more registered companies than people (though most of these companies exist only as pieces of paper in someone's desk).

It was the last country in Europe to give women suffrage (in 1984). Its single prison is so small that prisoners' meals are sent over from a nearby restaurant. To acquire citizenship, a referendum must be held in the applicant's village and, if it passes, the prime minister and his cabinet must then vote on it. But this never happens, and hundreds of families who have lived in Liechtenstein for generations are still treated as foreigners.”

Bill Bryson - Neither Here Nor There

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/05/09 at 9:41 pm

“Everything about Liechtenstein is ridiculous. For a start it is ridiculously small – barely 1/250th the size of Switzerland, which is itself ridiculously small. Liechtenstein is the last remaining fragment of the Holy Roman Empire, and so obscure that its ruling family didn't bother to come and see it for 150 years.

It has two political parties, popularly known as the Reds and the Blacks, which have so few ideological differences that they share a motto: “Faith in God, Prince, and Fatherland.”

Liechtenstein's last military engagement was in 1866, when it sent eighty men to fight against the Italians. Nobody was killed. In fact – you're going to like this – they came back with 81 men, because they had made a friend on the way.

Two years later, realizing that the Liechtensteiners could beat no one, the crown prince disbanded the army.

Liechtenstein is the world's largest producer of sausage casings and false teeth. It is a notorious tax haven, the only country in the world with more registered companies than people (though most of these companies exist only as pieces of paper in someone's desk).

It was the last country in Europe to give women suffrage (in 1984). Its single prison is so small that prisoners' meals are sent over from a nearby restaurant. To acquire citizenship, a referendum must be held in the applicant's village and, if it passes, the prime minister and his cabinet must then vote on it. But this never happens, and hundreds of families who have lived in Liechtenstein for generations are still treated as foreigners.”

Bill Bryson - Neither Here Nor There

It's larger than Vatican City, more scenic and better air quality.  As for Bill Bryson's opinion.  Yeah whatever. :P

Written By: midnite on 03/09/09 at 8:55 pm

I would go there.  I went to college with a gorgeous girl from Liechtenstein.  Her accent made her sound like one of those hotties from an old Bond movie.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/10/09 at 8:56 am

I would go there.  I went to college with a gorgeous girl from Liechtenstein.  Her accent made her sound like one of those hotties from an old Bond movie.

I've never met anyone from there but I've seen pictures.  It looks lovely.

Check for new replies or respond here...