» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Rank The Decades from the most liberal to the most conservative

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/11/09 at 8:24 am

MOST LIBERAL

1990s (Internet allows instant access to all corners of the world, Political Correctness movement at its peak)
1960s (Conterculture, high-growth decade worldwide)
2000s (The rise of social media has really improved this decade's standing)
1970s (Energy awareness rises; but most ideals carry over from the 1960s)
1980s (Some technology movements and some drug awareness, but essentially a "modern 1950s".
1950s (Family tradition, dress code, Christianity strong.)

MOST CONSERVATIVE

Subject: Re: Rank The Decades from the most liberal to the most conservative

Written By: 80sfan on 03/12/09 at 3:02 am

MOST LIBERAL

1990s (Internet allows instant access to all corners of the world, Political Correctness movement at its peak)
1960s (Conterculture, high-growth decade worldwide)
2000s (The rise of social media has really improved this decade's standing)
1970s (Energy awareness rises; but most ideals carry over from the 1960s)
1980s (Some technology movements and some drug awareness, but essentially a "modern 1950s".
1950s (Family tradition, dress code, Christianity strong.)

MOST CONSERVATIVE

Most conservative: I agree with you with the 50's. Next is 80's, then 00s.

Most liberal: Either 60's, then 90's, then 70's.

Written By: Samwise on 03/12/09 at 12:35 pm

I'd say you're right on the money, except I'd flip the 1960s and the 1970s. The 1960s started out very conservative, and for most of the decade, it was a vicious fight between radicals vs. conservatives. In the 1970s, the ideals put forth in the 60's by the counter-cultural movement became fully integrated into the culture, so the decade as a whole was more liberal.

Actually, come to think of it, I think the 70's were also more liberal than the 90's, because in the 90's we saw the rise of the Religious Right, the increasing influence of conservative talk radio, militia groups and neo-Nazis, etc. And even Clinton could only get reelected by basically turning himself into a Republican.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/12/09 at 10:55 pm

I believe that the 70s and the 90s were the most liberal and the 80s and this decade is the most conservative.

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/21/09 at 5:02 pm

VERY CONSERVATIVE

1950s (Basically Leave it to Beaver...tight dress code, afraid of communism, family and religious values, high morals)
1940s (World War II, very patroic and modesty was big)
1980s (Big on corporation and business and pop culture...and don't forget Reagon...being an American and the fashion was modest)
2000s (Big on corporation and business too and War on Iraq/National Security, but there is an indie/hipster/greenie bunch that want a second '90s and hating bush  and alternative energy)  It is moderate
1970s (Pretty conservative but it seems like we were getting by with a lot of stuff in the '70s, green movement and ant-nam)
1990s (basically a party and slacker decade...liberal)
1930s (the depression, FDR, need the handouts for the poor people of the Americas)
1960s (just think space program, hippies, so liberal)

2010s...starting out liberal but becoming moderately conservative by the end.  A religious thing might take places around 2017, making this as a more religious and spiritual decade.

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/21/09 at 5:14 pm

I'd say you're right on the money, except I'd flip the 1960s and the 1970s. The 1960s started out very conservative, and for most of the decade, it was a vicious fight between radicals vs. conservatives. In the 1970s, the ideals put forth in the 60's by the counter-cultural movement became fully integrated into the culture, so the decade as a whole was more liberal.

Actually, come to think of it, I think the 70's were also more liberal than the 90's, because in the 90's we saw the rise of the Religious Right, the increasing influence of conservative talk radio, militia groups and neo-Nazis, etc. And even Clinton could only get reelected by basically turning himself into a Republican.

I agree...think of this

early 1990s - pretty 80s and conservative, but grunge movement was causing a more liberal life
mid 90s - liberalism big
late 90s - more moderate, slipping towards right around 1999
2000- pretty right winged

Check for new replies or respond here...