» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Songs/Videos that were hits but rarely get played due to Political Correctness

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/19/09 at 9:49 am

I think a GOOD way to really feel nostalgic about something is about a song that is noy' longer socially appropriate for today's society because it would be too politically incorrect for a DJ to play. Does anybody have some good ones?

Subject: Re: Songs/Videos that were hits but rarely get played due to Political Correctness

Written By: Tia on 03/19/09 at 9:58 am

forget about all that macho and learn how to play guitar!

man, i remembered when that first got played on the radio me and my friend sammy jelso just looked at each other in complete shock.  ;D how he ever got away with that i'll never know.

Subject: Re: Songs/Videos that were hits but rarely get played due to Political Correctness

Written By: woops on 03/19/09 at 12:52 pm

"Money For Nothing"from Dire Straits  is edited is radio stations and tv.

Music videos that would be deemed politically incorrect by today's standards or would cause an (bigger)  uproar if released within the past decade:

Some still seen time to time on VH1 Classic, then again they only air music videos, in general, in the dusk/morning

"Open Your Heart" Madonna (Madonna and kid)
"Hello" Lionel Richie (student + teacher relationship at end)
"Hot For Teacher" Van Halen
"Jeremy" Pearl Jam
"Home Coming Queen" Julie Brown
"Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" (uncut version, though rarely seen) Culture Club
"Smooth Criminal" (long form) MJ

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/19/09 at 8:14 pm

"Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" (uncut version, though rarely seen) Culture Club

Is Boy George's "version" uncut?
:P

What about Michael Jackson's "They Don't Care About Us"

"Jew me/Sue me/Everybody do me/Kick me/Kike me"

Written By: gibbo on 03/20/09 at 2:54 am

There was an Aussie song in the 80's called 'Nice legs, shame about the face' that I haven't heard in a long time.... :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/09 at 2:57 am

There was an Aussie song in the 80's called 'Nice legs, shame about the face' that I haven't heard in a long time.... :-\\
...by The Monks?

Written By: gibbo on 03/20/09 at 6:24 am

...by The Monks?

I believe the original was by The Monks. Dave and The Derro's covered it in 1979/80 in Australia. Sound similar to the original but with Aussie accent!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNvwtm-M5Ak

Written By: danootaandme on 03/20/09 at 12:41 pm

I Shot the Sheriff - Eddie Grant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/20/09 at 5:59 pm

Prince: Darling Nikki

"Met her in a hotel lobby masturbating in a magazine..."
(and that's about as nice as the song gets)

This was one of the songs Tipper Gore was up in arms about, but always knew she listened to that Prince record in the bath after Al turned in for the evening.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/naughty.gif

Written By: whistledog on 03/20/09 at 8:41 pm

Remember the 2000 hit 'Teenage Dirtbag' by Wheatus?  The lyric "Her boyfriend's a dick, and he brings a gun to school" was (at the time) heavily edited for radio to remove the gun lyric becuase of the Columbine shootings that occured in 1999

...by The Monks?

I still hear their 1980 hit 'Drugs in My Pocket' on the radio from time to time which is quite surprising as the song is basically about a dealer who uses drugs, and doesn't know why or care

Written By: Frank on 03/21/09 at 12:36 am

My Ding-a-ling by Chuck Berry hmm..  ::)
I don"t like Mondays..haven't heard that one in a while either

And what about the theme song to the Flinstones, containing the words "we'll have a gay old time.."  ???

"one toke over the line" By Brewer and Shipley
hmm... :o

And Brown Sugar isn't politically correct either, with Lyrics like "Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields,
Sold in a market down in new orleans.
Scarred old slaver know hes doin alright.
Hear him whip the women just around midnight.
Ah brown sugar how come you taste so good
(a-ha) brown sugar, just like a young girl should"

Island Girl (Elton John) with the Lyrics "Island girl
What you wanting with the white man's world
Island girl
Black boy want you in his island world"

Not really politically correct songs ..

Written By: danootaandme on 03/21/09 at 7:47 am

"Now I'm jackin' off reading Playboy on a hot afternoon"I

Three Time Loser - Rod Stewart.  A song about his bout with Syphilis

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/21/09 at 7:49 am

Three Time Loser - Rod Stewart.  A song about his bout with Syphilis
does he get a clap at the end of the song?

Written By: danootaandme on 03/21/09 at 7:51 am

does he get a clap at the end of the song?

::) ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/21/09 at 12:39 pm

I dunno about you, but the image of Rod...
I'm glad I wasn't eating!
8-P

Written By: woops on 03/21/09 at 4:25 pm

I don"t like Mondays..haven't heard that one in a while either

The video airs on VH1 Classic airs very often.

Written By: gumbypiz on 03/21/09 at 7:31 pm

God Save the Queen - Sex Pistols
Think the BBC and some others banned this, they caught a lot of flack from law enforcement and government agencies for this tune too. I do hear it occasionally on the radio, but not often.

Dear God by XTC
I think the BBC banned it, and I know some still find it offensive  ::)

Radio, Radio - Elvis Costelllo & The Attractions
Elvis telling like it is, then and now. Forecasted the wretched turn and coming of corporate radio from way back in the 70's, outing Clear Channel and its ilk. Was banned from SNL for playing it for ten years. Rarely heard on the radio, but on many a movie soundtrack tho.

Cop Killer - Body Count
Not that it ever got any airplay anywhere that I can remember. Made even Moses, I mean, Charlton Heston mad at them, wow.

NWA - **ck Da Police
For obvious reasons. Imagine getting threats from the FBI no less, for song lyrics. Again, never heard this on air on any station I know of...

Madonna - Papa Don't Preach (the song, for the lyrics and content) and Like a Prayer (the video, for the images).

Written By: danootaandme on 03/22/09 at 5:17 am

Fight the Power - Public Enemy

Subject: Re: Songs/Videos that were hits but rarely get played due to Political Correctne

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/23/09 at 11:19 pm

And Brown Sugar isn't politically correct either, with Lyrics like "Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields,

Yeah, it's the Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs of rock and roll.  The tune's so good you're willing to look past the lyrics.

Unlike the following track.  No, we don't care about your history with a band named after a misspelled Volkswagen.

"You walked out of my dreams, and into my car, now you're my angel divine,
You're 16, you're beautiful, and you're mine!"
  - Ringo Starr, 1973.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u41/Sudsmcgee/ChrisHansen.jpg

Why don't you have a seat right over there, Ringo...

Subject: Re: Songs/Videos that were hits but rarely get played due to Political Correctne

Written By: gibbo on 03/24/09 at 12:55 am

Yeah, it's the Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs of rock and roll.  The tune's so good you're willing to look past the lyrics.

Unlike the following track.  No, we don't care about your history with a band named after a misspelled Volkswagen.

"You walked out of my dreams, and into my car, now you're my angel divine,
You're 16, you're beautiful, and you're mine!"
  - Ringo Starr, 1973.
Why don't you have a seat right over there, Ringo...

Yes, similar issues with 'She Was Only Sixteen'   and Gary Puckett's 'Young Girl'

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/09 at 3:22 am

I heard Good Morning Little Schoolgirl by The Yardbirds yesteday, I wonder similar issues as above?

Written By: danootaandme on 03/24/09 at 5:35 am

I remember a one hit wonder "Ride the White Pony".  Some thought is was about having sex with a white girl, but it was really a song about heroine.  I can't imagine how it hit the airwaves because no matter what it was about it was a lousy song.

Written By: woops on 03/24/09 at 2:08 pm

"Seventeen" from Winger

Though still played time to time, the lyrics are politically incorrect

Written By: Dagwood on 03/24/09 at 4:13 pm

"Seventeen" from Winger

Though still played time to time, the lyrics are politically incorrect

One of my favorite songs, though.  Partly because I was seventeen when it came out and Kip Winger was hella fine.  I could stare at his chest for days.  :-*

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/24/09 at 9:57 pm

I remember a one hit wonder "Ride the White Pony".  Some thought is was about having sex with a white girl, but it was really a song about heroine.  I can't imagine how it hit the airwaves because no matter what it was about it was a lousy song.

Yeah, that was Laid Back, White Horse.  Very sparse instrumentals and vocals, sort of a housey version of "Warm Leatherette".  Controversial not so much for the drug reference, but for the fact that the not-for-radio version had the lyric "If you wanna be rich / you got to be a bitch." 

(As recently as the late 80s, there were places you couldn't even say "bitch" on the radio... back in the early '80s, DJs used to have to turn down the volume for "bitch" and "cream" during Rough Trade's High School Confidential.  And wore onions on their belts, because that was the style at the time...)

Written By: Frank on 03/25/09 at 12:49 am

(As recently as the late 80s, there were places you couldn't even say "bitch" on the radio... back in the early '80s, DJs used to have to turn down the volume for "bitch" and "cream" during Rough Trade's High School Confidential.  And wore onions on their belts, because that was the style at the time...)

I remember "High School confidential"..they never banned those words whenever I listened to the radio...we used to laugh about it in school though...

What about "I saw her standing there" --> Well she was just 17, if you know what I mean

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/09 at 2:07 am

What about "I saw her standing there" --> Well she was just 17, if you know what I mean

How about Dancing Queen by Abba?

"You are the dancing queen, young and sweet, only seventeen"

Written By: danootaandme on 03/25/09 at 5:55 am

By the way....I don't think there are really any songs that don't get played anymore because of "political correctness". 

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/09 at 5:56 am

By the way....I don't think there are really any songs that don't get played anymore because of "political correctness". 
The songs are accepted for what they are, for the period of time for their release.

Written By: Frank on 03/25/09 at 1:52 pm

The songs are accepted for what they are, for the period of time for their release.

Exactly

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/25/09 at 2:09 pm

Lola by the Kinks doesn't get played anymore.

As for "My Ding-A-Ling, that was Chuck Berry at his finest.  Yes, I know there's no real guitar riffs but he made everyone cringe. ;D

Toy Soldiers by Martika used to get played when local radio stations would do an 80's thing.  They haven't played it in over a year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/09 at 2:45 pm

Still played over here in the UK

Written By: karen on 03/25/09 at 2:50 pm

I hear Lola fairly regularly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/09 at 2:51 pm

I have not heard Dedicated Follower Of Fashion by The Kinks for some while now.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/25/09 at 5:18 pm

So I guess I have to move in order to find a radio station that plays it. :-\\

Written By: karen on 03/25/09 at 7:12 pm

So I guess I have to move in order to find a radio station that plays it. :-\\

http://www.theriver1059.com/main.html

and click on listen live

or perhaps it was

http://www.rock102.com/

They are the only stations I listen to

Written By: Frank on 03/26/09 at 12:42 am

"Walk on the wild side" Lou reed

Don't hear that one much. Interesting lyrics

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/09 at 12:53 am

'Boys Just Want to Have Sex' by Exude.  It was an infamous Cyndi Lauper spoof from the classic Dr. Demento shows in the mid 80s.  It reached the Top 50 in Canada, but I can't say as I have EVER heard it on the radio

Written By: Midas on 03/26/09 at 2:29 pm

I've heard it recently on KPKX 98.7 FM "The Peak" within the last month.

They've also played Third Eye Blind's "Semi-Charmed Life" without reversing/editing the lyrics about crystal meth, whereas when that song first came out I'd always hear an edit of that verse when played on the radio.

Written By: karen on 03/26/09 at 2:41 pm

They've also played Third Eye Blind's "Semi-Charmed Life" without reversing/editing the lyrics about crystal meth, whereas when that song first came out I'd always hear an edit of that verse when played on the radio.

What is the lyrics to that?  I hear the song quite often but never really listened to the lyrics.

Is there an easy way of finding the radio edited lyrics of songs?  I was trying to look yesterday for Greased Lightning because I'm sure it didn't have all them swear words in when I listened to it as a kid!

Written By: Midas on 03/26/09 at 5:31 pm

What is the lyrics to that?  I hear the song quite often but never really listened to the lyrics.

Is there an easy way of finding the radio edited lyrics of songs?  I was trying to look yesterday for Greased Lightning because I'm sure it didn't have all them swear words in when I listened to it as a kid!

No clue but here is the lyrics to "Semi-Charmed Life".

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/26/09 at 8:42 pm

I remember "High School confidential"..they never banned those words whenever I listened to the radio...we used to laugh about it in school though...

Yeah, one of the first examples of the Streisand Effect.  Nobody would have paid attention to it, but when the audio faded, the audience used to scream out the missing words.  Half of 'em probably didn't know the singer was female, which is the really funny part.

Or Tiffany's cover of the Beatles track.  (Hey, when I was just 17... wait, back then, she and I woulda been classmates, so it woulda been cool.  Giggity! :)

How about Dancing Queen by Abba?

"You are the dancing queen, young and sweet, only seventeen"

Yeah, but at least they tried to make up for it with (Well, I could dance with ya honey / if you think it's funny / "Does your mother know" that you're out?)

The Beatles got no excuse :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/26/09 at 9:05 pm

Even less often, Lou Reed, Original Wrapper.

The comments on the Youtube page sum it up -- It wasn't something you'd expect from Lou Reed, it wasn't what you'd expect to hear in rap (even though, in 1986, rap had just begun to achieve widespread acceptance as a genre), most listeners only heard it once, it was bitterly insightful, and the lyrics gored every sacred cow of both the left (Farrakhan) and the right (Reagan).

Written By: woops on 03/27/09 at 1:09 am

Betty Hutton "Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief"  8)

Not much into swing, but it's a great song though would be  Un PC by today's standards (well, the 20th century was a different time).

Written By: Tia on 03/27/09 at 8:51 am

a lot of times they change "coca-cola" to "cherry cola," though, some kind of copyright thing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/09 at 10:57 am

Lola by The Kinks is being played on Capital Gold right now.

Written By: woops on 04/05/09 at 12:39 pm

I noticed on Y&T "Contagious" video that there's  scenes with prom queens getting checked for weapons

Probably a nod to a Julie Brown song, but wouldn't pass the censors now.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/06/09 at 7:23 pm

I noticed on Y&T "Contagious" video that there's  scenes with prom queens getting checked for weapons

Probably a nod to a Julie Brown song, but wouldn't pass the censors now.

Ms. Brown did an update of "The Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun" last year in re: Sarah Palin.  It might be on Youtube somewhere.  I heard it on the Stephanie Miller show.  It wasn't very good, IMO.

Written By: Paul on 04/09/09 at 7:14 am

a lot of times they change "coca-cola" to "cherry cola," though, some kind of copyright thing.

Not copyright, but advertising issues...

The original version ('Coca-Cola') had no such problems in most of the world, but the BBC had (and still has) a stringent 'no advertising' rule...so in order to get it played, Ray had to re-record 'Cherry Cola' for British audiences...just in case we ended up 'corrupted' in some way!  :D

The same fate befell Paul Simon's 'Kodachrome' and Dr. Hook's 'Cover Of Rolling Stone'

Written By: karen on 04/09/09 at 9:05 am

Not copyright, but advertising issues...

The original version ('Coca-Cola') had no such problems in most of the world, but the BBC had (and still has) a stringent 'no advertising' rule...so in order to get it played, Ray had to re-record 'Cherry Cola' for British audiences...just in case we ended up 'corrupted' in some way!  :D

The same fate befell Paul Simon's 'Kodachrome' and Dr. Hook's 'Cover Of Rolling Stone'

What about Man in the Moon - REM?  Pretty much most of the first verse is out

Written By: Paul on 04/09/09 at 1:47 pm

What about Man in the Moon - REM?  Pretty much most of the first verse is out

Either the BBC have relaxed the rule in recent years, or a special 'radio edit' was played...I suspect the former!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/09 at 2:52 am

Either the BBC have relaxed the rule in recent years, or a special 'radio edit' was played...I suspect the former!
Johnnie Walker on Radio2 played it this morning and I was not listening properly.

Check for new replies or respond here...