» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Remakes (movies, tv shows, cover songs) that were better than the original

Written By: woops on 03/21/09 at 4:24 pm

Inspired from Jamie McBain's thread about the recent version of "Battlestar Galatica", is there any film, tv shows, or even song covers that are far better than the original?

As for songs:

Mariah Carey "Without You", she gave the song emotion that the oiriginal lacked
Bananarama "Venus"
Psuedo Echo "Funky Town"

Can't think of any movie, though not much into them in general

Theatrical cartoons...

Well adapted to a Looney Tunes comic, the  Road Runner vs. Speedy Gonzales story is better than a cartoon with a similar premise. (also random ending with a cameo of Cecil Turtle). Though not saying much considering the cartoon's from the mid 1960's with mostly recycled scenes.

The cartoon Porky & Daffy ("Tick Tock Tuchered") trying to sleep  is better than the one with Porly and Gabby Goat.

TV...

Ralph Bakshi's "Mighty Mouse" is funnier and also far witty than the bland '40's Terrytoon cartoons
(only seen a few episodes on YouTube, which unfortunately were taken off)

Subject: Re: Remakes (movies, tv shows, cover songs) that were better than the original

Written By: whistledog on 03/21/09 at 4:40 pm

Kiss - The Art of Noise featuring Tom Jones.  The original by Prince is IMO the worst song ever made.  What AON and Tom Jones did was turn a steaming pile of crap into a breath of fresh air

Subject: Re: Remakes (movies, tv shows, cover songs) that were better than the original

Written By: Davester on 03/21/09 at 5:10 pm

I checked out the new Wonder Woman animated movie, relesed on DVD this month. I was curious to see how they were going to treat her story this time around...all I can say is wow!  This Wondy is a serious bad ass.  She racks-up numerous disembowlings and at least one decapitation.  The artwork, not that I'm an expert, is top notch sort of like anime meets Disney, the story compelling, believable and at times very touching.  Not the Wondy you'll remember... 

So anyway, that was my first best DVD purchase this year.  Included on the special features disc are two Wonder Woman-heavy eps of JLA Unlimited from a few years ago.  Never bothered to watch it before now.  Where was this stuff when I was a kid?  I'll call it a SuperFriends remake for the topic...

Ima check out the first two seasons on this animated series...

Written By: Satish on 03/21/09 at 5:53 pm

This topic has been done before on these boards with regard to cover songs:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=19524.0

Here's what I wrote back then:

"Proud Mary" by Tina Turner(originally done by Creedence Clearwater Revival)
"Dead Souls" by Nine Inch Nails(originally done by Joy Division)
"I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston(originally done by Dolly Parton)
"Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O'Connor(originally done by Prince)
"Anarchy in the UK" by Megadeth(originally done by the Sex Pistols)
"Perfect Day" by Duran Duran(originally done by Lou Reed)

Also, there's a bunch of covers of Bob Dylan songs that I think sound better than his own versions, but there's too many to list.

Of course, that shouldn't be too surprising. Considering how hoarse and raspy his voice sounds, just about every Dylan song sounds better when it's sung by someone else!
  ;D

Written By: Davester on 03/21/09 at 6:01 pm

"Proud Mary" by Tina Turner(originally done by Creedence Clearwater Revival)
"Dead Souls" by Nine Inch Nails(originally done by Joy Division)
"I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston(originally done by Dolly Parton)
"Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O'Connor(originally done by Prince)
"Anarchy in the UK" by Megadeth(originally done by the Sex Pistols)
"Perfect Day" by Duran Duran(originally done by Lou Reed)

Impressive list, but care to explain why you think these covers are better than the originals?  Or should I just take your word for it...

Written By: gibbo on 03/21/09 at 7:48 pm

Inspired from Jamie McBain's thread about the recent version of "Battlestar Galatica", is there any film, tv shows, or even song covers that are far better than the original?

As for songs:

Mariah Carey "Without You", she gave the song emotion that the oiriginal lacked
Bananarama "Venus"
Psuedo Echo "Funky Town"

I tend to disagree that Mariah Carey's version of 'Without You' is better than Harry Nilsson's. Mariah tends to overkill the vocal gymnastics in most of her songs.

Interestingly, I really liked Pseudo Echo's version of Funky Town....it was edgier.

I think Smashmouth's version of 'I'm A Believer' was perhaps better than both Neil Diamond's and The Monkey's versions (although I liked the originals a lot).

Written By: Fairee07 on 03/22/09 at 8:04 am

Smooth Criminal---Alien Ant Farm
Always On My Mind---Pet Shop Boys

And I know I'm going to be hearing about this but Right Round---FloRida

Written By: Fairee07 on 03/22/09 at 8:35 am

Loco-Motion---Kylie Minogue

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/23/09 at 11:37 pm

Psuedo Echo "Funky Town"

Interestingly, I really liked Pseudo Echo's version of Funky Town....it was edgier.

Thirded. 

Pseudo Echo's Funkytown was everything that was right about the mid-80s synthpop.  Speed it up, add a bunch of stun guitars and stereo/phasing effects, and away you go. 

If you enjoyed their cover of Funkytown, and ever come across a copy of 1986's Love an Adventure or 1984's Autumnal Park, get it.  Both albums sound basically the same, which was both a bug and a feature when it comes to bands trying to be anything more than a one-hit wonder.

Written By: gibbo on 03/24/09 at 12:58 am

Thirded. 

Pseudo Echo's Funkytown was everything that was right about the mid-80s synthpop.  Speed it up, add a bunch of stun guitars and stereo/phasing effects, and away you go. 

If you enjoyed their cover of Funkytown, and ever come across a copy of 1986's Love an Adventure or 1984's Autumnal Park, get it.  Both albums sound basically the same, which was both a bug and a feature when it comes to bands trying to be anything more than a one-hit wonder.

Psuedo Echo were an Aussie band and had a number of hits over here. I owned 'Love An Adventure' at one time. I just didn't realize that anyone had heard of them overseas....

Written By: Frank on 03/24/09 at 1:11 am

You can't hurry love -Phil Collins, great beat, I like it much better than the Supremes version

Written By: gibbo on 03/24/09 at 1:15 am

You can't hurry love -Phil Collins, great beat, I like it much better than the Supremes version

And he did a great remake of 'Groovy Kind of Love' which was originally done by Eric and the Mindbenders (with Eric Stewart of 10cc fame on lead vocals)...

Written By: Frank on 03/24/09 at 3:02 am

And he did a great remake of 'Groovy Kind of Love' which was originally done by Eric and the Mindbenders (with Eric Stewart of 10cc fame on lead vocals)...

I remember that one too...It was a much slower version than the Mindbenders version

Written By: whistledog on 03/24/09 at 9:01 am

Psuedo Echo were an Aussie band and had a number of hits over here. I owned 'Love An Adventure' at one time. I just didn't realize that anyone had heard of them overseas....

Pseudo Echo's version of 'Funkytown' was a MASSIVE hit in Canada.  It was #1 for 1 week in during 1987 (matching the original by Lipps Inc. which was also #1 for 1 week during 1980) and it's parent album 'Love is An Adventure' reached #22

I have 'Pseudo Echo' (1984), 'Love an Adventure' (1987) and 'Race' (1989) all on cassette tape.  Love them! 8)

Written By: gibbo on 03/24/09 at 6:07 pm

Pseudo Echo's version of 'Funkytown' was a MASSIVE hit in Canada.  It was #1 for 1 week in during 1987 (matching the original by Lipps Inc. which was also #1 for 1 week during 1980) and it's parent album 'Love is An Adventure' reached #22

I have 'Pseudo Echo' (1984), 'Love an Adventure' (1987) and 'Race' (1989) all on cassette tape.  Love them! 8)

Nice one whistle...

Check for new replies or respond here...