» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Revitalized Musician

Written By: 2oldskool on 03/31/09 at 1:37 pm

Do you think that an old musician can come out of hiding and sell platinum records again?  For example, someone like Vanilla Ice?

Subject: Re: The Revitalized Musician

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/09 at 1:48 pm

Johnny Cash?

Written By: gibbo on 03/31/09 at 7:53 pm

Yes, they can do it. Like The Eagles have done it a few times.....but they don't get played on radio stations that cater to 'the kids'.  But I doubt Vanilla Ice could achioeve this goal.  :-\\ He just was never THAT good! (IMO)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 1:05 am

Vanilla Ice appeared on a reality tv programme "The Farm" in the UK a few years back an dhe flopped on that.

Written By: Frank on 04/01/09 at 1:09 am

Johnny Cash?

I'd like to see that one now

Paul Anka did it in the 70's. Neil Sedaka as well. It can be done. As you need is one hit.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 1:15 am

I'd like to see that one now
Before he died, etc.

Paul Anka did it in the 70's. Neil Sedaka as well. It can be done. As you need is one hit.
...and again recently with the "Mood Swings" album ?

Written By: Frank on 04/01/09 at 1:19 am

...and again recently with the "Mood Swings" album ?

There is an audience out there for just about anyone who wants to come back (50's thru 90's star or lesser-lite).  Don't ya think?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 1:26 am

There is an audience out there for just about anyone who wants to come back (50's thru 90's star or lesser-lite).  Don't ya think?

I did have a copy of that album, but for me once heard was enough for me.

Written By: gibbo on 04/01/09 at 1:35 am

Yep....that's just about right. Artists like Rod Stewart simply release an 'American Album' set of tunes and the sales go through the roof. ...or an album of swing etc.. There is always an audience out there (as you said).

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 1:39 am

Yep....that's just about right. Artists like Rod Stewart simply release an 'American Album' set of tunes and the sales go through the roof. ...or an album of swing etc.. There is always an audience out there (as you said).
Provided that the audience is thee to buy the album in the first place.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/03/09 at 9:46 am

Michael Jackson may be a unique case in that he has racked up dozens of classics known all over the world; despite a failed attempt at a new album(Thanks, Akon!). He has already sold old many shows for his "Comeback Tour" and just because you don't have new material., if you have such an intriguing storyline, you can still be popular again. He has a shot at being the unofficial "Comeback artist of the year"; despite that he hasn't released an album of new material since 2001. Connie Francis is another good case; she didn't have any comeback hits but since the late '80s she has a good (though fairly small) cult following who still appreciates her work, even though most of her hits are around 50 years old! That's why I like to see some of these older artists in concert; they're no longer influential, but their storylines are good where it really tells you that it's the "one and only".

Check for new replies or respond here...