» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Popular Film Actors who got their start on TV

Written By: whistledog on 05/19/09 at 8:46 pm

Some you knew about, some you may not have ...

♦ Denzel Washington and David Morse both played doctors on all 6 seasons of the 80s medical drama 'St. Elsewhere'

♦ Billy Bob Thornton played Billy Bob Davis on all 3 seasons of the popular 90s sitcom 'Hearts Afire'.  It was here that he became good friends with John Ritter and ended up casting him in 'Sling Blade'.  He also got him a supporting role in 2003's 'Bad Santa', which would become Ritter's final motion picture before his sudden death.

♦ Danny DeVito and Christopher Lloyd were both regular stars on the sitcom 'Taxi'

♦ George Clooney had a supporting role in the final 2 seasons of 'The Facts of Life' and a recurring role in the first season of 'Roseanne'

♦ Billy Crystal made headlines as the first openly gay character on TV for his regular role as Jodie Dalls on the sitcom 'SOAP'

♦ Before Bond, Pierce Brosnan eased into the spotlight with his popular role as 'Remington Steele' in the 80s

♦ Tom Hanks got his start playing a cross dresser on the memorable 80s sitcom 'Bosom Buddies', and also had a 2 episode stint as Elyse's troubled brother Ned Donnelly on 'Family Ties'

♦ With his roles in 'The Lookout' and as Cobra Commander in the upcoming 'G.I. Joe', you could put Joseph Gordon-Levitt in this category, for you may remember him as Tommy Solomon on '3rd Rock From the Sun'

♦ Before he hit it big with 'Eddie and the Cruisers' and the cult favourite 'Streets of Fire', Michael Paré had a supporting role on 'The Greatest American Hero'.  Sadly Paré's career never really took off after 'Streets of Fire', and ever since, he's been pretty much a direct to video star.

♦ Jessica Alba gained fame on the 2 season run of the FOX Sci-Fi series 'Dark Angel'

♦ John Travolta as Vinnie Barbarino on the 70s favourite 'Welcome Back, Kotter'

♦ Audiences first fell in love with Bruce Willis for his role as David Addison on the 80s favourite 'Moonlighting'

♦ Woody Harrelson came to fame as Woody Boyd on 'Cheers', a role that was loved by billions.  To this day, meny people think the Woody character was better than Coach.  I happen to agree.

♦ Michael Douglas on the 70s action/drama 'The Streets of San Francisco'

♦ Johnny Depp on '21 Jump Street', which was one of the first ever shows on the FOX network

♦ Sarah Jessica Parker was on the short-lived 80s sitcom 'Square Pegs'

♦ Jason Bateman's star has been repopularized thanks to several hit films including 'Hancock'.  You will (of course) remember him from the first 2 seasons of 'Silver Spoons' and for his star making role as David on the beloved sitcom 'Valerie / The Hogan Family'

Subject: Re: Popular Film Actors who got their start on TV

Written By: woops on 05/19/09 at 8:50 pm

Sally Field in "Gidget"

Never heard of Jason Bateman before...

Written By: snozberries on 05/19/09 at 9:30 pm

George Clooney was also on a short lived sitcom called E/R  not to be confused with the wildly popular drama er.

Written By: snozberries on 05/19/09 at 9:35 pm

Sarah Michelle Gellar was on All My Children and then Buffy the Vampie Layer Slayer before going on to Cruel Intentions, Scooby Doo and rom coms.

Speaking of Scooby Doo... Linda Cardelini who played Velma was in Freaks and Geeks... she's done other movies as well

Jennifer Aniston seems to have been left off your list... before starring in Friends she was in the TV version of Ferris Bueller...

Michelle Williams was in Dawson's Creek before going on to films like Brokeback Mountain

Written By: snozberries on 05/19/09 at 9:41 pm

Oh yeah

Jennifer Garner transitioned quite nicely from her starring role on Alias to some big flix...

Jennifer Lopez was a Fly Girl on In Living Color before getting the Lead Role in Selena

Wasn't MJ Fox...like a kid star in Canada before coming here getting on family ties and then blowing up on the big screen?

Speaking of Jason Bateman, which makes me think of Arrested Development... Michael Cera is doing quite nicely in films now too....

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/19/09 at 9:49 pm

Kristy McNichol was in Apple's Way before she did lots of great movies.

Laurence Fishburne was on a soap opera (One life to live) before he did Apocalypse Now

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/19/09 at 9:51 pm

Sinbad was a finalist on Star Search and did alot of t.v. work before doing a few movies.

Written By: snozberries on 05/19/09 at 9:58 pm

Sinbad was a finalist on Star Search and did alot of t.v. work before doing a few movies.

Rosie o'donnell too...

Written By: Dagwood on 05/20/09 at 10:30 am

George Clooney was also on a short lived sitcom called E/R  not to be confused with the wildly popular drama er.

I remember that one...Elliott Gould was also in it.  George played Ace.  I liked that show.  It also took place in Chicago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086704/

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/20/09 at 12:01 pm

I remember that one...Elliott Gould was also in it.  George played Ace.  I liked that show.  It also took place in Chicago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086704/

yeah I loved that show.

Written By: whistledog on 05/20/09 at 4:16 pm

Wasn't MJ Fox...like a kid star in Canada before coming here getting on family ties and then blowing up on the big screen?

He was on a Canadian sitcom called 'Leo & Me' that only ran for 12 episodes.  He is a movie star, but I think people more associate him with TV, as with John Ritter:  TV stars who have hit films on the side, but are still primarily TV stars

Written By: Michael C. on 05/20/09 at 5:47 pm

Clint Eastwood ----Rawhide
Steve McQueen ----Wanted Dead or Alive
Ryan O' Neal -----Peyton Place
Mia Farrow ----- Peyton Place

Written By: Michael C. on 05/20/09 at 6:29 pm

Johnny Depp ----- 21 Jump Street
Eva Longoria ------- The Young and the Restless
Sam Elliot ------Mission Impossible
Leonardo DiCaprio ------ Growing Pains

Clint Eastwood ----Rawhide
Steve McQueen ----Wanted Dead or Alive
Ryan O' Neal -----Peyton Place
Mia Farrow ----- Peyton Place

Check for new replies or respond here...