» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Music Industry/MTV in Lyrics...

Written By: Davester on 05/31/09 at 1:24 am

What songs can you think of which make mention of the music industry in some way...

I can name three off the top right now, but I started the thread, so...

Bonus question:  Can you think of any songs which mention MTV or make reference to it..?

Again, I have two in mind, but you know...

Subject: Re: Music Industry/MTV in Lyrics...

Written By: Michael C. on 05/31/09 at 1:54 am

MTV Lyrics by Deep Purple
Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
   What songs can you think of which make mention of the music industry in some way...

I can name three off the top right now, but I started the thread, so...

Bonus question:  Can you think of any songs which mention MTV or make reference to it..?

Again, I have two in mind, but you know...

Written By: Michael C. on 05/31/09 at 2:01 am

Thought of 2 more--
1985 by Bowling For Soup  and Punk Rock by Red Hot Chili Peppers.
MTV Lyrics by Deep Purple
Money For Nothing by Dire Straits

Written By: anabel on 05/31/09 at 8:20 am

Here's a good one that slams the music industry and two important media outlets at once:
Duran Duran's "Too Much Information".  It wasn't s single, at least in the US, so I'll give you the lyrics.

Destroyed by MTV I hate to bite the hand that feeds me so much information
The pressure's on the screen to sell you things that you don't need
It's too much information for me
Hey TV child look into my eyes here by intervention I want your attention
Promotion boy in a suit and tie he wants you to use it you're too shot to lose it
It's pumping down the cable like never so before
A cola manufacturer is sponsoring the war here comes the news with with love from me to you

Destroyed by ABC I hate to bite the hand that feeds me so much information
Turn on the tube hits you with a groove advertising music we want you to choose it
These teeth are white trainers ultra-bright this band is perfect just don't scratch the surface
We've covered all the angles the survey people say
Just put us on the cover we'd be smiling anyway this video was made with love for you

Destroyed by BBC I hate to bite the hand that feeds me so much information
The pressure's on the screen to sell you things that you don't need it's too much information
Destroyed by MTV I hate to bite the hand that feeds me so much information

Dialate your mind (repeat) Gotta give it to me gotta listen to me gotta give in to me now I'm on the line
Gotta give it to me gotta listen to me gotta give in to me now I'm in your mind
I try (information) yes I try (too much information)
Why should I try (information) cause I try (too much information)
Gotta give it to me gotta listen to me gotta give it too me

Ok, back to work for me.....

Written By: Michael C. on 05/31/09 at 11:52 am

MTV Makes Me Want to Smoke Crack by Beck

Written By: Davester on 05/31/09 at 3:05 pm

Industry: Perhaps Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here in it's entirety, but definately Have A Cigar and Welcome to the Machine from that album...

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/01/09 at 12:19 am

Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper: Stuffin' Martha's Muffin!

Written By: karen on 06/01/09 at 1:33 pm

Top of the Pops by The Rezillos

Written By: Midas on 06/02/09 at 5:08 pm

"Freedom '90" - George Michael

Written By: Midas on 06/02/09 at 5:20 pm

Here's a good one that slams the music industry and two important media outlets at once:
Duran Duran's "Too Much Information".   It wasn't s single, at least in the US, so I'll give you the lyrics.

"Too Much Information" actually was released as a single in the US, but didn't make it into the Top 40.  Peaked at #45  :)

Written By: Michael C. on 06/02/09 at 5:24 pm

Nickleback's Rock Star is a pretty scathing account of life as a Rock singer.

Written By: anabel on 06/02/09 at 5:29 pm

"Too Much Information" actually was released as a single in the US, but didn't make it into the Top 40.  Peaked at #45  :)

Really?  I didn't know that!  Shows how much I paid attention-I have the cd it's on, but that song got zero airplay around here.  I really like Duran Duran, I wish they would come out with something Earth shattering again.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/09 at 12:57 am

Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper: Stuffin' Martha's Muffin!

Mojo Nixon was awesome, but he really sold out for a while there...

The video industry self-reference goes back to "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles, which was MTV's first-ever video broadcast.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/09/09 at 12:17 am

Mojo Nixon was awesome, but he really sold out for a while there...

Mmm, maybe.  When, specifically, are you thinking about?  Hard to argue that tracks like Destroy All Lawyers constituted selling out.  Ditto Legalize It, although it did feel like he was trying to squeeze 'em into the more commercial-friendly albums as he straddled the line between "comedy" and... well, whatever style of folk-punk-rockabilly-jug-band Mojo would call himself...

For me, the comeback album was definitely 1994's Prairie Home Invasion, with Jello Biafra.  Buy My Snake Oil was a no-holds-barred funny look at selling out, but Hamlet Chicken Plant Disaster pulls no punches.  Even though Mojo's not singing, he's as deadly serious as he was in his debut album's Death Row.

Thanks to the Internet, he's freed himself forever from the shackles of the FCC.  His online/radio show (Lying C*one of George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words*cksuckers) pulls no punches.  Mojo lives.

Obligatory MTV reference:  "Punk without rebellion / we'll call it 'grunge' for you! / I'll dress just like Don Henley / and sing just like him too!"
  - Mojo Nixon and the Toadliquors with Jello Biafra: Buy My Snake Oil.

And if that still doesn't work, I've got another idea... but I'm not going to spoil the pure lyrical awesomeness from 7:00 to 7:35.

Check for new replies or respond here...