» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Naturally nostalgic people have high self-esteem and less prone to depression

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/05/09 at 6:44 pm

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20060511-000003.html

See, there are health benefits to visiting the site....

Subject: Re: Naturally nostalgic people have high self-esteem and less prone to depression

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/05/09 at 6:47 pm

I totally believe that study to be true  8) 

Subject: Re: Naturally nostalgic people have high self-esteem and less prone to depression

Written By: snozberries on 06/05/09 at 8:22 pm

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20060511-000003.html

See, there are health benefits to visiting the site....

Ah but this is only true if you're nostalgic for your own times.... if you experience nostalgia for an era you never experienced or are too young to actually remember then you are a total nut job! 

......and the I hate Q posts start ................................now.  ;)

Written By: Samwise on 06/06/09 at 8:17 am

This doesn't bode that well for us, though:

"For best results, research suggests reminiscing in your head rather than on paper. When Sonja Lyubomirsky, a psychologist at the University of California at Riverside asked participants to either write or think about their happiest life experience, she found that those who replayed their happiest moments in their heads later experienced greater well-being than the writing group."

Guys, we're not getting maximum happiness here! Everybody stop writing!!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/10/09 at 1:15 pm

Ah but this is only true if you're nostalgic for your own times.... if you experience nostalgia for an era you never experienced or are too young to actually remember then you are a total nut job!  

......and the I hate Q posts start ................................now.  ;)

Then I guess I'm loony as a road lizard. LOL. (continues watching Prince on "Solid Gold" )

Written By: snozberries on 06/10/09 at 9:29 pm

Then I guess I'm loony as a road lizard. LOL. (continues watching Prince on "Solid Gold" )

as long as you recognize it... that's the first step on the road to recovery  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/09 at 10:15 pm

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=nostalgia

nostalgia:
    1770, "severe homesickness" (considered as a disease), Mod.L. (cf. Fr. nostalgie, 1802), coined 1668 by Johannes Hofer as a rendering of Ger. heimweh, from Gk. nostos "homecoming" + algos "pain, grief, distress." Transferred sense (the main modern one) of "wistful yearning for the past" first recorded 1920.

I have always understood "nostalgia" to be a mild form of depression in itself. 

Check for new replies or respond here...