» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Things you never knew about ...

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/09 at 3:13 pm

... until you saw it in a Movie or a TV Show, or maybe a song you never knew was done by someone else?

♦ When 'Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle' came out, I had no idea what White Castle was, nor had I ever heard of it before.  Before I saw trailers for the film, I thought it was a family movie about a medieval land or something.  Um yeah, not medieval, and not so much a family film LOL

♦ The first time I ever heard of a 401k was on TV, and for the longest time, I never knew what it was.  In Canada, we call it a "Pension" and always assumed that term was global.

Subject: Re: Things you never knew about ...

Written By: woops on 06/19/09 at 7:10 pm

White Castle was a burger chain

There's many cartoons & movies I had no ideas were remakes or updated versions (as a kid) until later on...

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/09 at 7:42 pm

I never used to know the 70s hit 'Say You Love Me' was by Fleetwood Mac.  In Canada, it was also a major hit for singer Shirley Eikhard, and so popular her version was, I know lots of people who also didn't know it was a Fleetwood Mac original.

Written By: gibbo on 06/19/09 at 8:19 pm

In 1975....I was shocked (and embarrassed) to discover this great "new" song I heard on the radio was actually Back In The USSR by The Beatles!!!  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 06/19/09 at 10:11 pm

I didn't know you could ignite hair spray by spraying it in front of a lighter until I saw it done on some show!

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/19/09 at 10:34 pm

I didn't know you could ignite hair spray by spraying it in front of a lighter until I saw it done on some show!

When I was in 7th grade, this one girl did that with a can of Aqua Net in the girl's P.E. locker room!  :o  Luckily nobody got hurt (and lucky for her there were no teachers around when she did it!).

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/09 at 10:37 pm

Here's a Macgyver-esque trick:

Fill a water pistol with hairspray.  Then take a long match and tape it to the end of the gun, with the tip of the match just slightly ahead of the barrel of the gun.  Strike the match against a brick wall, and fire at will!  Homemade flame throwers are dangerous though.  Kids, don't try this at home ;D

Written By: Brigitte on 06/19/09 at 10:39 pm

I would have started an RRSP when I was 16 years old!

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/09 at 10:46 pm

I would have started an RRSP when I was 16 years old!

The money you would have for the future would be grand!

Written By: Frank on 06/20/09 at 12:00 am

... until you saw it in a Movie or a TV Show, or maybe a song you never knew was done by someone else?
♦ The first time I ever heard of a 401k was on TV, and for the longest time, I never knew what it was.  In Canada, we call it a "Pension" and always assumed that term was global.

I remember that. 401K., Yup, we called it a retirement plan I believe.

Written By: 90steen on 06/20/09 at 1:27 am

When I was in 7th grade, this one girl did that with a can of Aqua Net in the girl's P.E. locker room!   :o  Luckily nobody got hurt (and lucky for her there were no teachers around when she did it!).

I used to do that all the time!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/09 at 2:29 am

Did you know that John Lennon can be heard swearing in Hey Jude by the beatles?

Written By: tv on 06/21/09 at 4:18 pm

I never knew hollywood actors Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick were married until a few years ago. My mom's like what is wrong with you they have been married for a long time.

I didn;t knew Trent Lott or Newt Gingrich were former speakers of the house in the 90's until I started following politics like 7 months ago. Both Lott and Gingrich were fired by their respective presidential administrations.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/21/09 at 6:09 pm

I never knew about memes until Airrider used the word on here.

Written By: woops on 06/21/09 at 9:34 pm

Many edited scenes from vintage theatrical cartoon shorts and those that were banned...

Written By: Step-chan on 06/22/09 at 3:10 pm

Many edited scenes from vintage theatrical cartoon shorts and those that were banned...

Same with me.

Check for new replies or respond here...