» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: What celebrities death would devaste you the most?

Written By: ninny on 06/29/09 at 3:02 pm

With the recent sudden & shocking passing of the late great Michael Jackson, I was wondering if some celebrity would suddenly pass away whose death would bother you the most.
For me it would be Elton John because I grew up listening to his music from the 1970's on and I even did my senior project on him.
There are a lot of celebrities that I would be sadden by their passing,but Elton's would bother me the most.

Subject: Re: What celebrities death would devaste you the most?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/09 at 3:25 pm

My celebrity has alway passed on, it was Spike Milligan, after meeting him a few times, he got to know my face too. He was already old (83) at his time of death, I did still dread that fatal day, but that day did still happen and came as a shock to me.

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/09 at 5:07 pm

I'll be really sad when Dick Clark passes away.  When I was a kid, The $25,000 Pyramid was my favourite show.  I watched it whenever I had days away from school

Of deaths in the past, british singer Paul M. Young's passing really made me sad, though I didn't hear about it until a few years after he had died.  Because Mike + the Mechanics had been out of the spotlight for so long, it seemed like he wasn't really remembered, but I remember.  'All I Need is A Miracle' and 'World of Mouth' are still among my all-time favourite songs!

Written By: ninny on 06/29/09 at 5:17 pm

My celebrity has alway passed on, it was Spike Milligan, after meeting him a few times, he got to know my face too. He was already old (83) at his time of death, I did still dread that fatal day, but that day did still happen and came as a shock to me.

I have heard of him,but did not know much about him.

Written By: ninny on 06/29/09 at 5:26 pm

I'll be really sad when Dick Clark passes away.  When I was a kid, The $25,000 Pyramid was my favourite show.  I watched it whenever I had days away from school

Of deaths in the past, british singer Paul M. Young's passing really made me sad, though I didn't hear about it until a few years after he had died.  Because Mike + the Mechanics had been out of the spotlight for so long, it seemed like he wasn't really remembered, but I remember.  'All I Need is A Miracle' and 'World of Mouth' are still among my all-time favourite songs!

I know I will be sadden by the passing of Dick Clark after seeing him on TV for years,but as he is getting older it would not be unexpected and I would be more prepared for it,like most people were more prepared for Farrah to pass,than for Michael.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/09 at 5:27 pm

I have heard of him,but did not know much about him.
You would know his colleague Peter Sellers from The Goons in the fifties.

Written By: snozberries on 06/29/09 at 8:44 pm

for me it'd be.... Joss Whedon.. the man is responsible for almost all of my top ten favorite series... he's a god in my universe and the loss will have a dramatic impact!

um.... the Cagney and Lacey women... tyne Daly and Sharon Gless..... just because once they are gone the hope of just one more reunion movie... o,r at the very least, a retrospective is completely gone.

other than that... I don't know the actress I love if they go young... like Drew, Julia Roberts or Sandra Bullock... if they age and die in their 80s then its no shock... but if they, pull a jayne mansfield or something... yeah that would be hard.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/29/09 at 9:21 pm

It is going to totally devastate me when Patrick Swayze goes.

Written By: snozberries on 06/29/09 at 9:34 pm

It is going to totally devastate me when Patrick Swayze goes.

see I've had time to adjust so I'm prepared for it.. .I will be sad but not torn up... I will watch Dirty Dancing, Ghost adn Red Dawn in his honor tho.

Written By: anabel on 06/29/09 at 9:44 pm

With the recent sudden & shocking of the late great Michael Jackson, I was wondering if some celebrity would suddenly pass away whose death would bother you the most.
For me it would be Elton John because I grew up listening to his music from the 1970's on and I even did my senior project on him.
There are a lot of celebrities that I would be sadden by their passing,but Elton's would bother me the most.

You're right, ninny, Elton passing away will be like John Lennon and George Harrison for me all over again.  I'll probably cry, but I can't really think of many that are out now that will cut me to the quick like some of the past ones did. Another one that made me really sad was Roy Orbison (in '88).  He had such a sad life anyway, and he was kind of on a comeback with The Traveling Wilbury's....he was so sweet with such a sweet voice.  Ok, I thought of another one---if anything happens to Johnny Depp, I'll be shredded to bits.

Written By: gibbo on 06/29/09 at 9:55 pm

I really don't think any celebrity passing would affect me greatly these days. I do remember exactly where I was when I first heard of Elvis' death though.

Of the remaining artists/performers etc ....maybe Sir Paul McCartney would give me pause for reflection..... :-\\

Written By: Frank on 06/29/09 at 10:44 pm

While I doubt any celeb's death would devastate me, but like gibbo said, maybe Sir Paul McCartney would give me pause for reflection. I'd be sad to hear that one.

I'd also be sad to hear of a death by any of the Brady kids in the 1970's TV show.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/29/09 at 10:46 pm

Well...Joey and Johnny Ramone (my two favs) are already gone. :(

I would be devastated to hear about Johnny Galecki passing away...and also Michael J. Fox.

Written By: anabel on 06/29/09 at 10:58 pm

I really don't think any celebrity passing would affect me greatly these days. I do remember exactly where I was when I first heard of Elvis' death though.

Of the remaining artists/performers etc ....maybe Sir Paul McCartney would give me pause for reflection..... :-\\

OMG!  You guys are right! When Paul and Ringo are gone I will be truly sad!!

I'm getting out of this thread-I don't want to jinx anyone!  :o

Written By: danootaandme on 06/30/09 at 5:18 am

I don't know what I will do if anything happens to John Lennon or George Harrison.  Joe Strummer would be a kick to the gut, too. 

Written By: gibbo on 06/30/09 at 5:39 am

I don't know what I will do if anything happens to John Lennon or George Harrison.  Joe Strummer would be a kick to the gut, too. 

What do you mean? John and George are already gone!  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 06/30/09 at 6:11 am

What do you mean? John and George are already gone!  :-\\

I figured you of all people would see the funny in that post...  ::)

Written By: ninny on 06/30/09 at 7:00 am

So true I would have to pause and reflect on Sir Paul's passing,also a little reflection for Phil Collins

Well if anything happens to those 3 now they are either zombies or the end of the world is coming

Written By: danootaandme on 06/30/09 at 7:38 am

I figured you of all people would see the funny in that post...  ::)

Thank you. 

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/02/09 at 1:41 am

Kind of an odd question, as I've never thought of it before...most TV/film celebrities I couldn't care less about if I tried, but most of the good ones have already passed (Issac Hayes, James Brown, Miles Davis, Michael Jackson, John Lennon, etc) , so I just can't even go there...

But for music, I can say if Prince, Morrissey or Robert Smith (the Cure) passed I'd be affected. Not even as much as I've not even been following their music lately or very closely for some time. But...

Their music was a huge part of my life back in the 80's and had a huge impact on my music tastes and for that, I would mourn their passing and more appropriately the passing of part of my life in memory...

Now if you want to talk about celebrities who are closing in on the end stage of their careers and lives whos death will have a strong impact, thats a different story.  :-X

Written By: Dagwood on 07/03/09 at 2:53 pm

see I've had time to adjust so I'm prepared for it.. .I will be sad but not torn up... I will watch Dirty Dancing, Ghost adn Red Dawn in his honor tho.

I haven't adjusted....I am ignoring it hoping it will go away.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/03/09 at 3:11 pm

Well I'm pretty shook up over Michael Jackson - that hit hard.  :(  I didn't see it coming.

Despite any weirdness factor he may have had, I've been a fan of his most of my life...

Written By: Nicole Little on 07/03/09 at 7:23 pm

I'm going to tell you the truth.  Michael's death devastated the MESS out of me!  It was too sudden.  Next to his death, Tevin's death will DEVASTATE me because I ACTUALLY saw him in person three times, and I met him twice in person face to face.  Tevin and I are around the same age.  We both graduated out of high school in 1995.  When he grew up, I grew up along with him.  I've been his fan since, TOMORROW (A BETTER YOU, A BETTER ME) in 1990.  Next to Michael's Tevin's death will devastate me the most because I EXPERIENCED him just like I experienced Michael Jackson.

Written By: Nicole Little on 07/03/09 at 7:25 pm

By the way, my screename is nicole1977

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/03/09 at 10:03 pm

Thank god we'll always have the Ramones and Bo Diddley!

If we're talking celebrity celebrities (not niche fame, politicians, or academics), I think I'd be the saddest if Jon Stewart died.  Happiness is a new "Daily Show" monologue!  So let's not jinx ourselves.
:-X

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/04/09 at 2:19 am

For every thread topic on the Internet, there exists at least one XKCD comic. 

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/actuarial.png

- This time it's XKCD, Actuarial

Written By: Brigitte on 07/04/09 at 8:11 pm

I would have to say Johnny Depp, I think I would cry if he left us. :\'( He is a remarkable actor and not bad to look at either!

Written By: Michael C. on 07/04/09 at 9:06 pm

Clint Eastwood
Elton John

Written By: ninny on 07/07/09 at 9:36 am

It's interesting because if this was 1979 I would of said anyone from The Brady Bunch, Little House On The Prairie,The Partridge Family & The Waltons. I was very upset over the death of Michael Landon, and shocked over the death of Robert Reed, but all in all no one else's death really upset me, and when Richard Thomas,David Cassidy,Melissa Gilbert etc time comes I will be sadden but not as devasted as I thought I would 30 years ago.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/09 at 7:19 pm

Clint Eastwood
Elton John

Now there's some juxtaposition!  I'd like to hear a remake of "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" with Clint instead of Kiki Dee!
8)

Written By: Frank on 07/07/09 at 7:24 pm

Now there's some juxtaposition!  I'd like to hear a remake of "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" with Clint instead of Kiki Dee!
8)

Can William Shatner direct the video?

Written By: 90steen on 07/08/09 at 7:59 pm

Drew Barrymore.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/08/09 at 11:08 pm

I think Paul McCartney's would affect me the most

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/09/09 at 6:37 am

Probably right now Whitney Houston. She's on the verge of a comeback like Michael Jackson was, and she is popularly imitated (though never duplicated!) world wide on various singing competitions. What's funny is that WH was almost never involved in Michael Jackson's passing considering MJ's MTV crossing over paved the way for a female black artist to do the same thing, and WH turned out to be the biggest black female of the MTV generation. She had the biggest selling album by a female of all time; and I'm starting to hear her music in various locations more in the past year as she is heading into "oldies" territory. But Aretha Franklin and Diana Ross would also devastate me because they paved the way for her and are legends in their own right.

Written By: nicole1977 on 07/09/09 at 2:53 pm

Here are the artists that I'm going to be devastated over the most.  Michael Jackson's death did ENOUGH for me to sum it all up, BUT besides Michael Jackson, here are the artists that I will be devastated over if they die:

Tevin Campbell
Stevie Wonder
Donnie McClurkin
Marvin Winans
Tramaine Hawkins
Karen Clark Sheard
Walter Hawkins
Whitney Houston
Patti Labelle
Diana Ross
Stephanie Mills
Teena Marie
Yolanda Adams
Deniece Williams
Mariah Carey
Janet Jackson
Beyonc
It's too numerous

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/09/09 at 8:32 pm

It's really hard to say at this point, especially since Michael Jackson's death is as devastating as it gets for me.  :\'(

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/11/09 at 5:07 pm

^^It's okay Coqueta. Michael wouldn't want you to be sad^^

He'd want you to remember all the good times you had to his music and just celebrate his career and life. That's what I do. I don't dwell on the fact that he's gone. I just go on enjoying him and his music and concerts. Michael would want you to live and enjoy life and the ones that you love.

:)

If you wanna talk about it, I'm a PM away.  :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/11/09 at 5:14 pm

With all do respect to Apollonia, no death affected me more than this man's death.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n304/cityscape_2006/bang36094.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAtPBU3vGqI

RIP Paul, you are still missed. :\'(

Written By: anabel on 07/11/09 at 5:33 pm

I have to admit, it really hit me hard and made me wonder what's really up when they announced this....

Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry went on The Cowhead Show on 102.5 The Bone Friday afternoon to confirm what we'd all expected: Aerosmith's concert Saturday at Tampa's Ford Amphitheatre has been cancelled, due to an unspecified injury suffered by singer Steven Tyler.

"I hate to call with bad news," he told the host. "I'd really much rather be playing tomorrow night."

The guitarist told the host Aerosmith would reschedule the show for sometime around October. A live Nation promoter told tbt* no date has been set, but the rescheduled show will likely take place on a Saturday, and tickets for the canceled show will still be good then.
Joe also said on another show to "keep Steven in your prayers." WTF?

Something is going on here. Too many shows have been cancelled or rescheduled for this to not be something serious. This show was still considered "on" as of yesterday morning then all of a sudden, that announcement...I really hate to think that Steven is abusing painkillers, or something worse, to make some kind of pain from an injury go away...he's been in rehab too much lately and I know that one day I may turn on the radio and hear some kind of "Sweet Emotion/Dream On" montage announcing that he has OD'd on something....if and/or when that does happen, I will be torn to shreds. :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 6:26 pm

someone should create one of those signs like they have in the work place.....

We have gone 5 days without a celebrity death or something!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/09 at 6:52 pm

I don't think any celebrity's death will devastate me. Will I be sad, yeah. But I don't know these people and most of them live on in their art. I think the two that hit me the hardest were Bill Bixby & Harry Chapin. I was sad when we lost George Harrison, too. (Not so much John Lennon-I was never really a big fan of his but love his music-but it was very sad HOW he died-should never had happened.) But I know I will be very sad when we lose Ringo, Sir Paul, & Sir Elton as well as Pete Seeger.

Cat

Written By: Starde on 07/21/09 at 3:47 pm

You know what? I can't lie. I took Michael Jackson's death way, way harder than I thought. I cried like a baby when I watched the memorial. I swear to God, when I first found out, I literally thought "WTF?!" because I honestly thought it was some sick joke. You should've seen my Facebook post that day. I was so angry with swear words coming out of my fingertips, asking "Who the f*** is next? Prince (God forbid)?". Ever since I was a kid, the man always felt immortal to me. I just never thought he'd leave this soon. I'm sure there are a few other celebrities who would have an affect on me, but I can't think of any other celebrity death that would devastate me on this scale.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/22/09 at 2:14 am

I have to admit, it really hit me hard and made me wonder what's really up when they announced this....

Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry went on The Cowhead Show on 102.5 The Bone Friday afternoon to confirm what we'd all expected: Aerosmith's concert Saturday at Tampa's Ford Amphitheatre has been cancelled, due to an unspecified injury suffered by singer Steven Tyler.

"I hate to call with bad news," he told the host. "I'd really much rather be playing tomorrow night."

The guitarist told the host Aerosmith would reschedule the show for sometime around October. A live Nation promoter told tbt* no date has been set, but the rescheduled show will likely take place on a Saturday, and tickets for the canceled show will still be good then.
Joe also said on another show to "keep Steven in your prayers." WTF?

Something is going on here. Too many shows have been cancelled or rescheduled for this to not be something serious. This show was still considered "on" as of yesterday morning then all of a sudden, that announcement...I really hate to think that Steven is abusing painkillers, or something worse, to make some kind of pain from an injury go away...he's been in rehab too much lately and I know that one day I may turn on the radio and hear some kind of "Sweet Emotion/Dream On" montage announcing that he has OD'd on something....if and/or when that does happen, I will be torn to shreds. :-\\

Steven Tyler would be devasting to me also. I've seen Aerosmith many times and also had a show cancelled and we did not find out until we got to the gate of the amphitheatre. I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt and guess he's ill or has a vocal problem. the band has been sober for some time now and a drug relapse by one member would affect them all, which is why they all got sober together.  On the night the show got cancelled, my friend with me said that she heard Toto was playing in a small club in San Francisco, so we went and they were playing and we got tix for $20 and saw a good performance and were only about 15 yards away from the band. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/22/09 at 9:00 pm

Yeah, I think if a celebrity had an effect on your life (either by shaping your pop culture tastes, or just especially if it reminds you of your youth or an otherwise good experience) it's saddening, in addition to just them being people with loved ones like anyone else. Also it makes you feel further removed from that time, I guess since it's one thing that's irreversibly changed. I was pretty stone faced when MJ passed away last month, partially just because he's such an icon, and because I've liked his music since 1984 or '85 - "Billie Jean" is quite literally the first song I ever liked (out of many), so it's almost like a piece of my childhood died with him in an indirect way.

There's lots I'd probably feel sad over, especially if it were sudden and unexpected, but these especially would imo.

Dick Clark (especially since he's been such a youth symbol for years)
Michael J Fox
anyone else from Back to the Future
Weird Al Yankovic
Pauly Shore
Jerry Springer (trashy show, but personally seems like a great guy)
Huey Lewis (he's from the north Bay Area, and like MJ he's another early childhood favorite)
Paula Abdul
Lionel Richie
Adam Sandler
Casey Kasem
Jim Carrey
Madonna
Daryl Hall or John Oates
Jenna Von oy (Six from Blossom, she was such a 90s valley girl in a likable way, I thought she was cute when I was 13 or 14 too).

Written By: ninny on 07/23/09 at 7:32 am

I don't think any celebrity's death will devastate me. Will I be sad, yeah. But I don't know these people and most of them live on in their art. I think the two that hit me the hardest were Bill Bixby & Harry Chapin. I was sad when we lost George Harrison, too. (Not so much John Lennon-I was never really a big fan of his but love his music-but it was very sad HOW he died-should never had happened.) But I know I will be very sad when we lose Ringo, Sir Paul, & Sir Elton as well as Pete Seeger.

Cat

I was quite upset with the passing of Bill Bixby,being a big fan of The Courtship of Eddie's Father & The Incredible Hulk

Written By: gemini on 07/23/09 at 4:58 pm

Sir Elton, Sir Paul & Ringo.  Those would deeply affect me.  :(

Check for new replies or respond here...