» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Monumental birthdays

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/11/09 at 1:38 am

Maybe that's not the right word, but I can't think exactly the word I wanna use.

Think back to those birthdays that were typically celebrated more so then others, for example, when you turned 18, 21, 30, 40, 50 and I forget what age Jewish kids are bar/bat mitzvah'd (14 maybe?) 

Anybody wanna share any memories from special birthday celebrations?  I'm coming up really soon on a landmark birthday (40th  :o  (when did I get THAT old??!!!!)) and I'm just curious if anybody had anything special happen on a birthday?

I can remember some of my birthdays,  21 - I had to work but when I came home my mom had a surprise party with my family (my aunt and uncle bought me a 4 pack of wine coolers)  lol

Age 30, I think I panicked since all my friends were married and had families of their own.  I turned 30 and got married 6 months later to someone I met on my birthday.  No I wasn't drunk when I met him (or when I married him)  lol 

Subject: Re: Monumental birthdays

Written By: Frank on 07/11/09 at 1:44 am

- When I turned 40, my wife invited about 60 people and we booked a room and it was really cool. Lots of people and Chinese food only

- When I turned 18 I went to see Genesis in concert ( that same day) with a friend who was born the same day as I was (but 1 year older) One of the best concerts I saw.

(Jewish bat mitzvah is when they turn 13)

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 5:43 am

When I turned 21 I got so drunk I was kicked out of a club about 15 minutes after being let in.

The one I'm looking forward to is my 44th (that's still 3 years away) I want to have a huge bash.... and .... you're all invited!  8)

Written By: loki 13 on 07/11/09 at 6:16 am

For me it was when I turned 19, why? because no one in my family remembered.  >:(

To their defense it was the same day my wife and newborn daughter came home from the hospital. She was
born on April 5 but my wife had some complications and had to stay in the hospital for a week and their minds
were preoccupied. 19 is when I also reached legal drinking age so after dinner when my dad finally remembered
he went to the liquor store and bought me a case of Lowenbrau.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 6:23 am

For me it was when I turned 19, why? because no one in my family remembered.  >:(

To their defense it was the same day my wife and newborn daughter came home from the hospital. She was
born on April 5 but my wife had some complications and had to stay in the hospital for a week and their minds
were preoccupied. 19 is when I also reached legal drinking age so after dinner when my dad finally remembered
he went to the liquor store and bought me a case of Lowenbrau.  ;D

Sixteen Nineteen Candles anyone  ;)

Written By: loki 13 on 07/11/09 at 6:44 am

Sixteen Nineteen Candles anyone  ;)

In the end of that Sam got exactly what she wanted, a cake and the hot guy. Me, all I got was a case of beer........
Okay, now I see the connection with both got exactly what we wanted.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 6:45 am

In the end of that Sam got exactly what she wanted, a cake and the hot guy. Me, all I got was a case of beer........
Okay, now I see the connection with both got exactly what we wanted.  ;D

......and a healthy wife and daughter at home!  :P

Written By: loki 13 on 07/11/09 at 6:55 am

......and a healthy wife and daughter at home!  :P

Wait, I was just saying.....I was trying to.......oh, hell, there's no begging out of this one so
just color me stupid.  :-[

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 7:18 am

Wait, I was just saying.....I was trying to.......oh, hell, there's no begging out of this one so
just color me stupid.  :-[

no worries I know what you meant... but you know I couldn't let that one go  ;D  I'd give you more karma if I could guess I owe you more tomorrow!

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/11/09 at 8:22 pm

They do sweet sixteens up big here in NY and it's just totally not my thing.  I would just  8-P at the thought of having my own.  My older and favorite cousin Susan, just couldn't let my birthday pass without a little celebration, though, and she and her friends surprised me with a small party at her house.  It was so low-key and thoughtful, the memory always makes me smile  :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/11/09 at 8:31 pm

My 12th birthday I got to go up in a hot air balloon.

34th birthday PA Governor Ed Rendell wished me a happy birthday.

Written By: Womble on 07/12/09 at 1:08 pm

When I turned 30 my brother, sister-in-law and my best friend took me out for a night on the town in NYC. That was the most special and memorable Birthday I ever had. A really great time was had by all.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/09 at 3:52 pm

Best birthdays:

6th-I got my first 2 wheeler bicycle. I also had a BIG party. It was the first time that I was introduced to trick candles thanks to my oldest sister. That was the only negative thing that happened. I also met my childhood best friend. She moved into the neighborhood the day before my party and I invited her and from that point on, we were inseparable (until I moved away at the age of 8).

8th-I had to go to school but it just happened that we had a field trip that day-to see Peter Pan on stage (in fact, a girl who was in my sister's class played Michael so the entire school was there to cheer her on-yes, a girl played Michael). I didn't have my permission slip because my mother was a chaperone.  When we got back to the school after the play, my class ate lunch outside (since it was a beautiful day) and afterward, they had a cake for me.  :)

16th-my parents threw me a Sweet 16th party.

30th-wasn't a GREAT birthday but certainly memorable. The only thing I wanted was flowers. I didn't care what kind or from whom-just flowers. So, the guy I was living with got me a male stripper.  :o :o  I think the flowers would have been cheaper-and lasted longer.

40th-I threw myself a party. Hadn't had a birthday party since I was 16 and I felt like I was due.

Debating whether I want to throw myself a big bash for the big 5-0. But, Carlos & I may decide to throw a big 10th anniversary party-they both are the same year so we shall see.

(BTW, great topic.)

Cat 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/13/09 at 9:57 pm

My 16th birthday, my parents threw me this great oldies dance/party. Everyone had to dress up as either a 50's girl/guy, hippie, or beatnik. It was so much fun! We played games, listened to oldies, danced...it was great!

Written By: karen on 07/14/09 at 12:18 pm

My birthday is in August (during the school holiday) so most of my childhood parties were v low-key - just a few friends from the same road I lived on.

My parents gave us all the choice of having a big 18th or 21st party -we couldn't have both!

For my 18th I opted to go to a night-club with some friends.  For my 21st I had a big family and friends party with food and a bar.  I still have the jewellery boxes I was given.

For my 30th we had a barbecue at our house for friends and family.  Most memorable moment was Dai was carrying Elizabeth around (she was about 9 months old) and he walked into the path of a frisbee.  Elizabeth got a huge nosebleed all down his shirt.

Also Dai paid for me to go on a 'Flying With Cofidence' course at a local airport.

For my 40th we are probably going to have a barbecue here.  I was hoping to book a local park pavillion but they were all booked by the time I called.

Written By: Frank on 07/14/09 at 6:16 pm

Debating whether I want to throw myself a big bash for the big 5-0.
Cat 

Oh, don't remind me. Coming up to that too in 4 years.

Check for new replies or respond here...