» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: John Hughes Movie Poll

Written By: midnite on 08/06/09 at 6:57 pm

John Hughes, the King of 80s movies, passed away today.  Rest his soul.  I figured I would put a poll together in his honor.  Please select your favorite John Hughes movies.  I believe he wrote all of these!!!! Unbelievable!

Well, my favorites are:
1. Weird Science       Actually one of my favorite movies of all time!!
2. Ferris Bueller's Day Off       Bueller?  Bueller?  Anyone?
3. Uncle Buck    

Subject: Re: John Hughes Movie Poll

Written By: anabel on 08/06/09 at 7:01 pm

Bueller........Bueller........Bueller......

It's a shame.  He made LOTS of great movies!

Written By: Michael C. on 08/06/09 at 7:03 pm

Ferris
Christmas Vacation
Sixteen Candles
He was the KING of Teen Comedies........
What a shame

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/06/09 at 7:26 pm

Sixteen Candles
The Breakfast Club
Weird Science
Pretty In Pink
Ferris Buellers Day Off
Some Kind of Wonderful

:)

Written By: Frank on 08/06/09 at 7:42 pm

Nice thread.
I voted for Ferris Buehler, Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast club (that was a great film)

Written By: whistledog on 08/06/09 at 7:42 pm

Uncle Buck
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
National Lampoon's European Vacation

3 movies I never get tired of.  Would have also included 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' but the poll only allowed for 3 :(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/06/09 at 8:24 pm

Ferris Buellers Day Off gets my vote.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/06/09 at 9:05 pm

Sixteen Candles, Mr. Mom and Christmas vacation are my faves but I also love Ferris Bueller and Breakfast Club

Written By: mooster on 08/06/09 at 9:46 pm

Has to be the three "Vacation" films  :D

Written By: snozberries on 08/06/09 at 10:07 pm

Breakfast Club
Some Kind of Wonderful.

It was a toss up between Mr. Mom, Weird Science and Maid in Manhattan.... in the  end I went with Maid in Manhattan since that's the only one of these three films that I own on DVD.

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/07/09 at 12:58 am

I'll just choose one absolute favorite: Breakfast Club

Written By: robby76 on 08/07/09 at 6:23 am

I had no idea he did Dennis The Menace - which was bloody hilarious!!!

I voted... Dennis The Menace, Plane Trains and Sixteen Candles.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/07/09 at 12:04 pm

I didn't know he did so many movies!  R.I.P. John Hughes

My favorites from the list: Home Alone and Planes Trains and Automobiles.

Written By: nally on 08/07/09 at 7:17 pm

The only one of those I've seen is Home Alone.

Written By: robby76 on 08/07/09 at 7:55 pm

The only one of those I've seen is Home Alone.

Really? You need to get down to your local Blockbusters!!!  :)

Written By: Lindee on 08/07/09 at 8:05 pm

1) Breakfast Club
2) Sixteen Candles
3) Trains, Planes and Automoblies

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/07/09 at 9:16 pm

Sixteen Candles has always been my favorite movie of all time! My sister & I can quote the entire film verse by verse! I love so many of his films, with Ferris Bueller, The Breakfast Club and Mr. Mom all in my Top Twenty list of favorite films...

Written By: snozberries on 08/07/09 at 9:20 pm

Really? You need to get down to your local Blockbusters!!!  :)

HA HA I was just going to say the same thing....EVERYONE Should watch Breakfast Club...its a true classic!

Written By: Frank on 08/07/09 at 9:29 pm

HA HA I was just going to say the same thing....EVERYONE Should watch Breakfast Club...its a true classic!

Yes it was. A true classic, one of the best 80s films for sure.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/07/09 at 11:51 pm

Vacation (original)
Breakfast Club
FBDO

Written By: mooster on 08/09/09 at 1:39 am

Has to be the three "Vacation" films  :D

Come to think of it - these are the only ones I've seen  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/09/09 at 11:39 pm

Most of the characters in Breakfast Club will be relevant to anyone who ever attended (or is attending) a North American high school, but I'm sure there are a few scenes that you'll cringe at with the passage of 20 years.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off, on the other hand, is one of those timeless classics.  The events in the movie are so off-the-wall that nothing appears dated, because nothing in the movie was completely plausible in the first place.  It wasn't supposed to be reality.  It wasn't even supposed to be a fantasized ideal of reality.  The universe of FSBO is a surreality, or a hyperreality.  It's still fun to watch today, and the philosophical points strike at the heart of what it means to be an adult.

Written By: Joe G on 08/10/09 at 9:02 am

Don't for get "She's Having a Baby".  Maybe not a favorite, but quite the contender.  Anyone remember the credits? 

Ted Danson:  "Marcus."
Woody Harrelson:  "Uh....Mucus."

;D

Written By: zcrito on 08/11/09 at 9:48 pm

I was never a fan of John Hughes' early '80s teen flicks, but out all that are listed I went with

National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)
and
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

Matthew Broderick (& Michael J. Fox) are probably the only '80s male movie teens I *don't* dislike.
And, ah, what the heck, Anthony Michael Hall, too.

Vacation is funny, and I like catching it when it pops up on television, although
I never understood the point of making an R-rated "family" movie, but I guess that was the mentality of the times.

Ferris Bueller isn't perfect but does have one of my favorite John Hughes' scenes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p89gBjHB2Gs
(Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/11/09 at 10:49 pm

Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, and Pretty in Pink, since they pretty much shaped my childhood, but I have to give an honorable mention to Uncle Buck if only for the phrase "Buck Melanoma!" which makes me giggle every single time I hear it.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/12/09 at 7:59 pm

Sixteen Candles
The Breakfast Club    (EMILIO!!!!!)
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Written By: Davester on 08/15/09 at 1:36 am

Ferris Bueller's Day Off, hands down...

The only John Hughes flicks I've watched in their original run were Pretty in Pink and FBDO.  My friend insists we went to see Weird Science at the mall, but I don't remember.  Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles I've watched for the first time only in the past ten years or so... 

Written By: Davester on 08/15/09 at 2:00 am

Most of the characters in Breakfast Club will be relevant to anyone who ever attended (or is attending) a North American high school, but I'm sure there are a few scenes that you'll cringe at with the passage of 20 years.

That movie got quite a bit of buzz back then but i wasn't inclined to spend any amount of time in a theater watching a movie about kids I went to school with.  Rented it a number of years ago and I noticed something Hughes got right was the topic of alot of conversations in school - sitting around bitching about parents.  There existed a more adversarial relationship between parents and their offspring unlike today where it's more, "I'm okay, you're okay..."  But he captured it, though not without his trademark caricaturizations and exaggerations... 

Pretty in Pink was a random choice for a matinee while my girlfriend and I were cutting class one afternoon.  It was playing double feature with Lucas.  Not life altering, but better than 4th period English...

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - the title pulled us in.  Again, watched it with my crazy girlfriend.  One of the funniest parts is after the credits when Ferris reminds us to get a life and go home already.  FBDO remains very near and dear to my heart...

Written By: Henk on 08/15/09 at 3:10 am

Uncle Buck
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
National Lampoon's European Vacation

3 movies I never get tired of.  Would have also included 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' but the poll only allowed for 3 :(

That's the one with John Candy, right?

I don't like John Candy. Sorry.

I voted for Breakfast Club, Weird Science and FBDO.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/16/09 at 12:54 am

That's the one with John Candy, right?

I don't like John Candy. Sorry.

I voted for Breakfast Club, Weird Science and FBDO.

PTaA also features John Candy starring alongside Steve Martin.  Candy also plays the Wallyworld security guard in "Vacation."  The problem with Uncle Buck, IMO, is that it's just not a very good movie.

Written By: Henk on 08/16/09 at 1:11 am

PTaA also features John Candy starring alongside Steve Martin. 

John Candy AND Steve Martin? I knew there was a reason (well, actually TWO reasons) why I never saw that movie.

Candy also plays the Wallyworld security guard in "Vacation."  The problem with Uncle Buck, IMO, is that it's just not a very good movie.

Not a very good movie with John Candy = fail (in my book). Feel free to disagree.

Check for new replies or respond here...