» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Movies where kids step into adult roles

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 9:07 am

I'm not talking about Big or 13 Going on 30 where kids wake up as adults but are, mentally, still teens.

Nor am I talking about Billy Madison or Tommy Boy where adults have to stop acting like kids...

nor am I speaking of the body switching movies like Freaky Friday or Vice Vesa where kids and parents become each other for most of the film...

There's also Zac Effron's 17 again (which I haven't seen), The Mawry Twins' Seventeen Again, and George Burn's 18 Again....all about adults getting a second  shot at youth.

what I'm talking are movies where children remain child but, thru some mishap or miracle, are given adult responsibilities

I can think of 3 -

Rookie of the Year-  Henry's broken arm fuses in such a way that when it heals he is able to throw a major league fast ball....as a result he is drafted to pitch for the Chicago Cubs.

Little Big League- Billy's grandfather passes away and leaves him the Minnesota Twins. Rather than being a passive owner Billy decides to manage the team his first season.

Like Mike- Calvin gets shoes that, presumably, belonged to Michael Jordan.... the shoes and a shock of lightning combine to make Calvin an NBA caliber ball player....

can you think of any others films in this genre? And are there any with girls?

there's that lame one with the Duff girls where they inherit their family business but they have led pampered lives and have no clue how to run it but it doesn't count because the girls were boarding on adult hood....so that movie is closer to Tommy Boy/Billy Madison than the others.... 

Subject: Re: Movies where kids step into adult roles

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/09 at 9:58 am

Home Alone 1 and 2 - Not just a movie about some brat kid playing pranks on adults.  Kevin realizes that he's on his own and has to survive as if he was alone in this world.  Home Alone 3 and 4 not included (not just because they were terrible movies, but), because those ones were all about some brat kid playing pranks on adults. 

And not so much a movie, but how about that old 90s sitcom 'Smart Guy'.  Taj Mohwry played a kid genius who didn't act like kids his age did.  He was always planning for his future, and not in a "what am I gonna do tomorrow?" sense, but more like "What am I gonna major in at college".

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 10:00 am

Home Alone 1 and 2 (3 and 4 not included because they sucked ass) - Not just a movie about some brat kid playing pranks on adults.  Kevin realizes that he's on his own and has to survive as if he was alone in this world.

And not so much a movie, but how about that old 90s sitcom 'Smart Guy'.  Taj Mohwry played a kid genius who didn't act like kids his age did.  He was always planning for his future, and not in a "what am I gonna do tomorrow?" sense, but more like "What am I gonna major in at college".

good point about Smart Guy... same could be said about Doogie Howser MD... here's a 14 year old kid in residency at a hospital but there was a nice balance between the adult world and him maintaining a friendship with the kid he'd known since kindergarten and how he had to date a girl in high school because in terms of age that's what was available to him. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/27/09 at 12:20 pm

Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter is Dead.

Little Girl Who Lived Down the Lane. (Well, sort of.)

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 12:30 pm

Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter is Dead.

Little Girl Who Lived Down the Lane. (Well, sort of.)

Cat

good point. Sue Ellen had to get a job and become mom to her bratty siblings while mom goes on vacation.

and Jodie Foster's character was left to care for herself after her father died...tho she isolated herself (best as she could) from society so while she had to care for herself she didn't have to interact too much in an adult arena... tho she did have to fend off creepy Martin Sheen's pedophillic character.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/27/09 at 12:40 pm

Ooh, another one I just remembered: Where the Red Fern Grows. Anyone remember that one?

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 12:42 pm

Ooh, another one I just remembered: Where the Red Fern Grows. Anyone remember that one?

Cat

that's one I never saw but its in my netflix queue

Written By: danootaandme on 11/27/09 at 1:37 pm

All Mine to Give

One of the few movies that have made me really cry

Glynis Johns and Cameron Mitchell. Johns and Mitchell play a Scottish couple, Mamie and Robert, living in the American wilderness of the mid-19th century. Robert dies, whereupon Mamie takes on the responsibility of raising their six children. And when she succumbs to illness, it is the oldest child, Robbie (Rex Thompson), who takes on the challenge of finding homes for his siblings on Christmas Day.   True story by John Dale Eunson

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 1:41 pm

All Mine to Give

One of the few movies that have made me really cry

Glynis Johns and Cameron Mitchell. Johns and Mitchell play a Scottish couple, Mamie and Robert, living in the American wilderness of the mid-19th century. Robert dies, whereupon Mamie takes on the responsibility of raising their six children. And when she succumbs to illness, it is the oldest child, Robbie (Rex Thompson), who takes on the challenge of finding homes for his siblings on Christmas Day.

never heard of  it but i will look it up!

Written By: woops on 11/27/09 at 3:59 pm

Peanuts specials and films (well, haven't seen them for a while, but they tend to act more like adults in the comics & tv cartoons)

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 4:15 pm

Peanuts specials and films (well, haven't seen them for a while, but they tend to act more like adults in the comics & tv cartoons)

although their conversations are advanced they are still children they dint hold jobs or have unusual responsibilites.
Plus cartoons have the advantage of defying convention so let's keep this topic to live action.

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 4:41 pm

Kidco: A kid and his siblings start a fertilizer business. Although the parents are around they let the kids handle the business 100% including, eventually, winding up in a court room for some reason or another...

Six Pack:  6 orphans take to stealing car parts for the sheriff in exchange for cash and being able to stay with together. Eventually they hook up with a race car driver (Kenny Rogers) who uses the kids as his pit crew.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/27/09 at 4:44 pm

Angel-you know the movie about the girl who was an honor student by day & a hooker at night.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/09 at 4:45 pm

Angel-you know the movie about the girl who was an honor student by day & a hooker at night.

Cat

uh...yeah.. that one totally counts  ;D

funny how all mine are kid movies and everyone else keeps bringing up hard hitting films made for adults... and Angel  ;)

Written By: woops on 11/27/09 at 4:48 pm

In that case "Juno"

(I'll really get trashed, but I don't watch much live action films... runs off to Toon Zone forums)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/28/09 at 10:15 am

never heard of  it but i will look it up!

I recommend it.  It is heartbreaking.

Check for new replies or respond here...