» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The late 70s-early 80s: The beginning of modern fashion? lo

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/01/09 at 5:39 pm

I think that somewhere between I'd say 1979 and 1982, most of what we consider modern fashion really developed and solidified. By 1977 (at least from photos I've seen), small ties were coming into fashion; lapels and collars were much smaller in 1979 than they were in 1972; bell bottoms weren't really worn anymore. By the late '70s-early 80s, jeans and t-shirt or polo became pretty much mainstream at least for young people (whereas in the late 60s-early 70s, only the very young or rebellious wore jeans; only the rebellious and very blue collar men wore t-shirts) A lot of the craziest elements of '70s fashion were pretty much over. I'll put it this way--I would imagine that while if you were to wear something from 1971 (like a shirt with a huge collar, wide bell bottoms, the Indian tunics of the late 60s-early 70s or slacks), you'd probably look out of place-But I would imagine were you to wear clothes from like 1980 or 1982 it'd probably look pretty dang similar to what we have today.

Aside from the craziness of the late 80s to early 90s, I don't think fashion has changed all that much since the late 70s or early 80s, whereas imo the late 60s-mid 70s were 'transition' years as far as fashion goes--Huge experimentation with fashion and clothing styles and the least wacky stuff made it through to today.

Subject: Re: The late 70s-early 80s: The beginning of modern fashion? lo

Written By: whistledog on 12/01/09 at 6:45 pm

I know in the 70s and 80s, people did wear clothes.  Wearing clothes seemed to be a hip thing that has stayed strong to this day.

Subject: Re: The late 70s-early 80s: The beginning of modern fashion? lo

Written By: 80sfan on 12/01/09 at 9:20 pm

I know in the 70s and 80s, people did wear clothes.  Wearing clothes seemed to be a hip thing that has stayed strong to this day.

One karma for the sarcasm.

Check for new replies or respond here...