» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Simply Red

Written By: joeman on 12/01/09 at 9:40 pm

Had no clue where to put this since Simply Red had singles from the 80's, 90's, and the 00's!  Apparently, I read in Wikipedia that they are disbanding in 2010, which I hope isn't true.  Anyways, what are your favorite songs from them?

Mines is:

Stars
Holding back
Something Got to Give
Four Tout Babies

Subject: Re: Simply Red

Written By: whistledog on 12/01/09 at 9:47 pm

In a sense, they disbanded long ago.  So many band members have come and gone, Mick Hucknall IS Simply Red, so if he continued his solo career on a permanent basis now, nothing would really change.

Alot of people often think Simply Red never made it out of the 80s.  They had alot of hits that North America never saw.  I once chronicled all them in a thread, but I don't know where that is.

My favourite is still 'If You Don't Know Me By Now' followed by 'Holding Back the Years'.  I didn't really care for much of their works in the 90s, but then the 2000s came and they released the excellent 'Sunrise'.  Loved that song to death!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/02/09 at 8:40 am

I adore Simply Red!  Mick has been talking about going solo for years now.  He has an amazing voice.  I loved all the 80s stuff, and am really like this decade's releases such as "Sunrise",“So Not Over You” and "You Make Me Feel Brand New".

Mick's first solo effort "Tribute to Bobby" was just that, a cover album of one of his musical heroes.  It got good reviews (as from what I can see online) but I actually hadn't heard about it until I did some research just now.

Written By: Midas on 12/02/09 at 10:28 am

Faves:

"Stars"
"Fairground"
"Fake" (Love To Infinity Mix)
"Sunrise" (Love To Infinity Mix)

Written By: ninny on 12/02/09 at 11:00 am

I love If You Don't Know Me By Now & Holding Back The Years :)

Written By: nally on 12/04/09 at 12:21 am

Those are the two I like the best as well. ;)

I remember in 2003 they released the album Home, which contained the track "Sunrise" (which, as I recall, sampled the Hall & Oates Song "I Can't Go For That/No Can Do"). I think that album also contained a cover of "You Make Me Feel Brand New", which I didn't much care for. :-\\

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/06/10 at 9:30 pm

My fave Simply Red Songs are:

1. It's Only Love
2. If You Don't Know Me By Now
3. Holding Back The Years
4. Stars
5. Sunrise
6. Money In My Pocket (Plan B Mix)
7. Something For You

More to come later....

Note: A friend of mine gave me this Simply Red "Home" album 6 years ago. It's been a long time since I listened to those tracks and I can hardly remember them, except for "Sunrise", "Home Loan Blues" (which takes me back to Capital Budgeting/Finance class when I was still in college), and "Money In My Pocket". Mick Hucknall's voice is really soothing and every time I would be done with my classes, I play my Simply Red CD and let Hucknall's voice enlighten me while I drive home.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/07/10 at 12:04 pm

Same here.  Holding Back The Years is my most fave, though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/07/10 at 1:46 pm

....apparently, I read in Wikipedia that they are disbanding in 2010...

Yippee!!!!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/07/10 at 6:45 pm

Yippee!!!!!!

Mick is a dick.

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/08/10 at 8:36 pm

"Holding Back the Years" and "Stars".

Written By: Bobby on 01/28/10 at 9:51 pm

I preferred Simply Red in the 80s so like Holding back the years, Money's too tight to mention, A new flame and Something got me started.

Written By: zcrito on 01/29/10 at 11:29 pm

I like their sad, sad "Holding Back The Years", but I also like and remember this one from 1986
(even if its lyrics rub me the wrong way)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYWUXDTuLYk

Money's Too Tight (To Mention) - Simply Red

(and it looks like I'm not the only one who remembers it too)

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 04/13/10 at 10:59 pm

Mellow My Mind
Holding Back the Years
Money's Too Tight To Mention
Sunrise

Check for new replies or respond here...