» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Baseball cards, Hockey cards, sports cards, other cards

Written By: Frank on 12/08/09 at 3:56 am

Anyone ever collect them?
When did you start?
Do you still have some cards or did you throw them all away?

I used to collect baseball and hockey cards, have either given away or sold most of mine. I just had to keep some Bobby Orr's (NHL) for sentimental reasons.
I think I started collecting in 1969 or 1970 and stopped in the mid to late 70s.

Subject: Re: Baseball cards, Hockey cards, sports cards, other cards

Written By: woops on 12/08/09 at 1:08 pm

Trading cards... the grossout album cover parodies I got at a dollar store sometime ago and the "All Time Toons" that feature many post 1948 Looney Tunes

Written By: Tam on 12/08/09 at 4:40 pm

I had all of the Garbage Pail Kids sticker/cards.
What happened to them?

I honestly have no idea :(

Written By: loki 13 on 12/08/09 at 5:49 pm

I used to but baseball cards when I was a kid but mainly for the stick of gum  and to put the cards in the spokes of my bike.  ;D

I can only imagine how much money I never had the chance to collect as that Roberto Clemente rookie card went round and round.
I started buying cards around 1968 through the early '70s. I also collected those baseball 3-d cards and caps from Kelloggs cereal boxes.
Football and hockey cards from the same period shared the same fate.

The only things I have left are a complete box of 1987 Topps baseball cards and a whole lot of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

Written By: Frank on 12/08/09 at 6:13 pm

I used to but baseball cards when I was a kid but mainly for the stick of gum  and to put the cards in the spokes of my bike.  ;D

I can only imagine how much money I never had the chance to collect as that Roberto Clemente rookie card went round and round.
I started buying cards around 1968 through the early '70s. I also collected those baseball 3-d cards and caps from Kelloggs cereal boxes.
Football and hockey cards from the same period shared the same fate.

The only things I have left are a complete box of 1987 Topps baseball cards and a whole lot of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

Yah, I think many of us put the cards in the spokes of our bikes. Looks like we collected baseball cards around the same era. I still have a 1971 Nolan Ryan card that might be worth something.

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/09 at 10:10 pm

I started collecting in the late 80s.  Still have all of the MLB/NHL cards I collected.  Got a whole bunch of Wayne Gretzky ones

Written By: La Roche on 12/09/09 at 10:24 pm

I have roughly 12,000 baseball cards, well, just over 12,000.

Obviously the vast majority are essentially worthless but everything is in folders in protective sleeves.

I do however own a lot of interesting cards.

Rookie cards from guys like Ricky Henderson, Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Pete Martinez, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Reggie Jackson, Pete Rose, George Brett, Barry Bonds and quite a lot more. I don't however own an Albert Pujols rookie card, anybody owning one ought to get a hold of me, I'd do them a very healthy trade.

I also have cards signed by Gary Sheffield, Jim Thome, Frank Thomas, Jim Edmonds and a few other guys.

Written By: La Roche on 12/09/09 at 10:25 pm

Yah, I think many of us put the cards in the spokes of our bikes. Looks like we collected baseball cards around the same era. I still have a 1971 Nolan Ryan card that might be worth something.

Probably $100-150 depending on the condition and who made it.

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/09 at 10:34 pm

The only card I have that would be worth money probably is Ray Bourque, Pro Set 1990.  There is an error on the spelling of his name, spelled as Borque.

Written By: wildcard on 12/09/09 at 11:49 pm

I was in to baseball when I was in 5th grade.  My teacher would give out grab bags of cards for good behavior and stuff.  My brothers collected cards too.  I have 27 cards I haven't looked up in years that were at least a dolar each.  I was able to trade my brother, John, for a Mark McGwire before he broke the record. 

Written By: Frank on 12/10/09 at 12:13 pm

I have roughly 12,000 baseball cards, well, just over 12,000.

Obviously the vast majority are essentially worthless but everything is in folders in protective sleeves.

I do however own a lot of interesting cards.

Rookie cards from guys like Ricky Henderson, Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Pete Martinez, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Reggie Jackson, Pete Rose, George Brett, Barry Bonds and quite a lot more. I don't however own an Albert Pujols rookie card, anybody owning one ought to get a hold of me, I'd do them a very healthy trade.

I also have cards signed by Gary Sheffield, Jim Thome, Frank Thomas, Jim Edmonds and a few other guys.

Nice collection there. I used to have a Jim Rice, Robyn Yount and Thurman Munson Rookie, but I have sold them. I think I still have a Rose, Seaver, Reggie, Mccovey cards from 1970 or 1971.

Written By: ninny on 12/10/09 at 2:44 pm

I use to collect those Topps baseball cards in the mid to late 1970's. My husband kept a few of the Yankees and the rest(@ 200) got ruined because an old landlord never fixed his roof, so the water went inside the metal cabinet they were in and everything rusted. >:(

Written By: Frank on 12/10/09 at 3:32 pm

I use to collect those Topps baseball cards in the mid to late 1970's. My husband kept a few of the Yankees and the rest(@ 200) got ruined because an old landlord never fixed his roof, so the water went inside the metal cabinet they were in and everything rusted. >:(

Ooh, too bad they were destroyed.
I still have about 1000 baseball cards somewhere. I have sold the rest

Written By: nally on 12/14/09 at 2:16 pm

I began collecting them at age 7. I still have them today. Over 7,000 altogether. They are all protected in albums with plastic pages.

I have complete sets of 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, and 2006 Topps. My 1992 set is almost complete, but for the past couple of years I have needed 15 cards, some of which might be a challenge to get. I also own a handful of cards from other years, as well as brands other than Topps.

Which of my cards is the most valuable? Not sure.

Written By: nally on 12/14/09 at 2:17 pm

I used to collect those Topps baseball cards in the mid to late 1970's. My husband kept a few of the Yankees and the rest(@ 200) got ruined because an old landlord never fixed his roof, so the water went inside the metal cabinet they were in and everything rusted. >:(

that's too bad :(

If only you'd had a way to keep them protected, who knows if they'd still be around today... :-\\

Written By: Frank on 12/14/09 at 5:18 pm

I began collecting them at age 7. I still have them today. Over 7,000 altogether. They are all protected in albums with plastic pages.

I have complete sets of 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, and 2006 Topps. My 1992 set is almost complete, but for the past couple of years I have needed 15 cards, some of which might be a challenge to get. I also own a handful of cards from other years, as well as brands other than Topps.

Which of my cards is the most valuable? Not sure.

You can try getting the 1992 missing ones from ebay

Written By: nally on 12/14/09 at 8:47 pm

You can try getting the 1992 missing ones from ebay

I never used Ebay before...or any of those web sites where you purchase stuff.

Written By: Frank on 12/16/09 at 3:24 am

I never used Ebay before...or any of those web sites where you purchase stuff.

You can try, they have some nice deals.

Written By: nally on 12/16/09 at 4:02 pm

You can try, they have some nice deals.

I'd probably have to create an account or something. Plus, I don't know how I'd go about purchasing. I can only pay for stuff by cash.

Also, I still have hundreds of duplicates lying around (in a box) which I attained from having bought cards in packs through the years.

Written By: Frank on 12/16/09 at 4:28 pm

I'd probably have to create an account or something. Plus, I don't know how I'd go about purchasing. I can only pay for stuff by cash.

Also, I still have hundreds of duplicates lying around (in a box) which I attained from having bought cards in packs through the years.

Mostly you pay by credit card. It's not too difficult to get one if you don't have one yet.

Written By: nally on 12/16/09 at 8:51 pm

Mostly you pay by credit card. It's not too difficult to get one if you don't have one yet.

Well I'm not ready to have one of those yet. However I do know how dangerous they can be because I always hear about people racking up a lot of debt on them.

I'll just go to sports cards stores like I've been doing for the past 20+ years. I know some places can let you get the cards individually, but I haven't been so lucky at the Baseball Card Co. in Granada Hills the last few times I went there.

Written By: Frank on 12/20/09 at 12:31 am

Well I'm not ready to have one of those yet. However I do know how dangerous they can be because I always hear about people racking up a lot of debt on them.

I'll just go to sports cards stores like I've been doing for the past 20+ years. I know some places can let you get the cards individually, but I haven't been so lucky at the Baseball Card Co. in Granada Hills the last few times I went there.

I might go to a sports card show tomorrow

Written By: nally on 12/20/09 at 4:50 pm

I might go to a sports card show tomorrow

Have fun. :)

I might look through my local phone directory to see if they have any sports card shops around, and see if they sell any Topps MLB cards.

Written By: Frank on 12/20/09 at 9:14 pm

Have fun. :)

I might look through my local phone directory to see if they have any sports card shops around, and see if they sell any Topps MLB cards.

I didn't go, too too many thing do on a Sunday.
They must have sports card shows in the Cal area you can attend.

Written By: nally on 12/21/09 at 1:27 am

I didn't go, too too many thing do on a Sunday.
They must have sports card shows in the Cal area you can attend.

Sports cards shows? You mean like exhibits or something of that nature? I think I might have gone to one in Pasadena about 20 years ago....only to come out empty-handed.

Written By: Frank on 12/21/09 at 2:08 pm

Sports cards shows? You mean like exhibits or something of that nature? I think I might have gone to one in Pasadena about 20 years ago....only to come out empty-handed.

A sports card show, yes. Good way to get some deals ( back in the day), but now not quite a great deal as in the past (because of ebay, which is cheaper..or can be cheaper)

Written By: nally on 12/21/09 at 2:18 pm

A sports card show, yes. Good way to get some deals ( back in the day), but now not quite a great deal as in the past (because of ebay, which is cheaper..or can be cheaper)

I still have hundreds of duplicates lying around (from all those years of buying cards in packs), mostly of '87 Topps, which I'd like to somehow get rid of because they are taking up space. However there are some duplicates that I intend to hold on to, mainly because the players are/were good and the cards are worth mucho dinero already.

Written By: Frank on 12/21/09 at 6:44 pm

On ebay, the Book Value of a Topps 1987 set of cards is selling for about $25

Written By: nally on 12/21/09 at 7:51 pm

Not to worry, I obtained a complete set of them several years ago. I just have lots of duplicate cards, including three copies of #782 Brian Downing.

Written By: Frank on 12/21/09 at 7:59 pm

Not to worry, I obtained a complete set of them several years ago. I just have lots of duplicate cards, including three copies of #782 Brian Downing.

Brian Downing, still played for the Angels at the time, right?

Written By: nally on 12/21/09 at 8:00 pm

Brian Downing, still played for the Angels at the time, right?

Yes, he did. For a good part of his career, I think.

Written By: Frank on 12/21/09 at 8:09 pm

Yes, he did. For a good part of his career, I think.

He played for the Rangers after that, can't remember what year but it was after 1987 I think

Written By: nally on 12/21/09 at 8:10 pm

He played for the Rangers after that, can't remember what year but it was after 1987 I think

Well, I have his 1992 Topps card, which depicts him with the Rangers, so he was with them during the 1991 season.

Written By: Frank on 12/22/09 at 12:13 am

Well, I have his 1992 Topps card, which depicts him with the Rangers, so he was with them during the 1991 season.

Brian was a good player. he was on some good Angel teams in the 80s

Check for new replies or respond here...