» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Is being retro is like pop culture's junk food?

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/17/10 at 11:00 am

I just read an article how people in their late 20s and 30s were coined as part of the "re-run generation", where they would frequently turn to stuff of their youth as an escape from reality along with reducing the anxiety of the present/future. Yet the article also questioned stability as most people will live well into their 70s and 80s and may not have the proper financial stability later on. It then stated how over 100 retro bands, with a third having chart-topping hits have reunited/made comebacks withing the past few years. Also, nearly half of the Top 10 grossing movies of the past two years have been either remakes or sequels. With such a wealth of retro stuff out there, it can make many people forsake the present trends (not that it's a bad thing as most stuff of the past ten years had little meaning). But when the 2000s becomes "retro", how can we relate back to that era?

Subject: Re: Is being retro is like pop culture's junk food?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/10 at 2:38 pm

It's all commerce.  When you let commerce define your culture, you find yourself in the throes of the interests of commerce:  The most return for the least investment. 

Why does TV Land re-run the Andy Griffith show ad nauseum?  Because it can.  As long as advertisers buy time and see a return for it, why not? 

Why write an original script when the audience will gobble up something rehashed from thirty years ago? 

The fact is creativity is hard and the audience might not go for it.  Formula is easy and guaranteed to please.  The trick was to lower standards slowly, which the entertainment industry did starting in the eighties, and it worked. 

Twenty years ago I used to go to the movies at least once a week.  Now I rarely go at all. 

The future is scary I suppose.  However, the future we considered scary in the 1970s is here in 2010.  In the seventies a lot of people started questioning the propaganda passed down from industry and government that the future would get better and better and technology would solve all our problems.  People began to think of the world's resources in terms of limits rather than infinity.  There was great symbolism in Ronald Regan taking the solar panels off the White House roof.  We discovered some more oil reserves to exploit and started living in debt, individually and nationally.  This bought us 25 years of denial.  Now we're faced with the problems those hippie weirdo scientists were warning us about in the 1970s, and wouldn't it be nice to have those 25 years back?  Well, we can't have 'em back.  We're screwed.

So...I can't really begrudge a young couple wanting to escape into a Tom Hanks Rom-Com world holding hands and munching popcorn!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/happy1.gif

Written By: Bobby on 02/19/10 at 9:23 pm

Interesting thread and Maxwell Smart made some excellent points. Guaranteed returns for minimal effort - even Disney are at it. For example, do we REALLY need 101 Dalmations 2, 102 Dalmations, Jungle Book 2, High School Musical 3, Bambi II...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/19/10 at 9:36 pm

We need sequels, but only if they are decent sequels...

Written By: Bobby on 02/19/10 at 9:40 pm

Totally agree (which is why I left out Toy Story 1 and 2 and hopefully 3 will be better ;D). I just can't imagine another Bambi or Jungle Book...I have 101 Dalmations 2 in my dvd collection because I accidentally thought it was the first one so will watch it and then consider my opinion, lol. I just tire of retreads.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/10 at 11:53 pm

There was this movie called "Rocky" back in 1977.  I always thought there was room for a sequel there.  Whatever happened to that guy Sylvester Stallone?
???

Written By: Davester on 02/20/10 at 5:47 am

There was this movie called "Rocky" back in 1977.  I always thought there was room for a sequel there.  Whatever happened to that guy Sylvester Stallone?
???

They should have made a sequel to that.  It had potential...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/21/10 at 12:57 pm

They should have made a sequel to that.  It had potential...

As I recall, it was called Rocky II.  But my favorite Rocky, is Rocky VII: Adrian's Revenge!

;D

Written By: Davester on 02/21/10 at 7:29 pm

As I recall, it was called Rocky II.  But my favorite Rocky, is Rocky VII: Adrian's Revenge!

;D

Yo, Adrian..!

Written By: danootaandme on 02/23/10 at 10:10 am

I think that retro is kind of like turning down the sound for a while and getting a second wind.  You will have creative bursts that take lots of energy, society tends to reel itself in, then start the cycle all over again, each time stretching a little bit farther.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/23/10 at 10:31 pm

I think that retro is kind of like turning down the sound for a while and getting a second wind.  You will have creative bursts that take lots of energy, society tends to reel itself in, then start the cycle all over again, each time stretching a little bit farther.

Won't mention the orifice the current pop culture wind is coming from!
8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...