» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Songs recorded in One Take?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/26/10 at 2:32 pm

Mostly songs from the sixties come to mind, as songs where the performers came in, laid in down in one go and left.  No fumbling around in the studio for days on end, just in and out.

Two of I know off the top of my head:

Kingsmen, "Louie, Louie"
Dave Clark Five, "Bits & Pieces"

The Clash, "Rock The Casbah" was mostly laid down in one take, one track at a time by it's author as well.

Subject: Re: Songs recorded in One Take?

Written By: Bobo on 03/26/10 at 2:48 pm

The Beatles' song "Twist and Shout" was recorded in two takes, but the second take was discarded.

Written By: topforty on 03/26/10 at 3:45 pm

Isn't it said that Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic was a one take version. I thought it was laid down as a demo to play for whats-his-name the director of the film, the director heard it then he let it in.

Written By: gibbo on 03/26/10 at 7:15 pm

Apparently, Dione Warwick nailed the cover version of the song 'Alfie' in one take. This was a remarkable feat as the British singer, Cilla Black, who had a world wide hit with that same song described her recording experience with Burt Bacharach (for that song) as the most demanding of her career.

But Dione was the greatest interpreter of BB's music...

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/10 at 10:53 pm

The 1979 cover of 'Money (That's What I Want)' by The Flying Lizards was apparently recorded in one take.  It was also said to have been recorded a dark basement, rather than a recording studio.

It failed to become a Top 40 hit in America, but was a Top 5 hit in the UK and a Top 10 hit in Canada and is the most widely used version of this song.

Written By: zcrito on 03/28/10 at 2:35 am

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Roberta Flack recorded all the songs on her first album "First Take" in just one take ??

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/04/10 at 12:59 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Keep_Me_Hangin%27_On

Vanilla Fudge's 6+ minute version of "You Keep Me Hangin' On" is a one take song

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/06/11 at 10:09 am

Chamber Brothers, "Time" the version we all know and love is a one-take song too..

Written By: Paul on 05/06/11 at 3:44 pm

The Beatles' song "Twist and Shout" was recorded in two takes, but the second take was discarded.

Their version of the Chuck Berry chestnut 'Rock And Roll Music' was nailed in one...

Bill Haley's 'Rock Around The Clock' was almost recorded as an afterthought...two takes were recorded, but the final master is an edit of those two takes, so technically, it could be in with a 'one-take' consideration...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/11 at 3:46 pm

I believe that Billy Swan's I Can Help was recorded in one take, and because it sounded so good, a reprise of the song kicks of after the cheering, which is heard on the end of the recording.

Check for new replies or respond here...