» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Is it possible, to like the music, the music that is not in your time period?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/02/10 at 1:56 pm

Is it possible, to like the music, the music that is not in your time period? 

The reason why I ask this, is because of the music I like is from the 80's, and yet most of the bands/song I like, are from I was at least 8 or9 years old.

And I didn't hit the teen years, until it was the 90's.

So, should I be more into Grunge and alternative rock, or just pretty much be ok, with the music I like?

Onf my roommates, was born in the early 70's, and yet he was a teen during the 80's, and likes 60's and 70's music, instead.

Thanks, in advance.

Subject: Re: Is it possible, to like the music, the music that is not in your time period?

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/10 at 2:43 pm

The reason why I ask this, is because of the music I like is from the 80's, and yet most of the bands/song I like, are from I was at least 8 or9 years old.

So, should I be more into Grunge and alternative rock, or just pretty much be ok, with the music I like?

Onf my roommates, was born in the early 70's, and yet he was a teen during the 80's, and likes 60's and 70's music, instead.

Thanks, in advance.

you like what you like.... the era you grew up in has nothing to do with it... I love Buddy Holly- he died in 1959 I was born in 1967.....
I listen to motown and 50s do woop.... sure I heard these songs because my father listened to them but I don't like everything he listens too... I was inspired to seek out the songs I did like.

I have a friend who's son - when he was 12 was really into the lounge music of Frank Sinatra et al... she has no idea where he was exposed to it... the kid is 16 now.

Music is subjective... you don't have to listen to something just because it was popular when you were a teen.

Subject: Re: Is it possible, to like the music, the music that is not in your time period?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/02/10 at 4:59 pm

Of course it is possible otherwise classical music wouldn't be as popular as it is. Music is timeless. It doesn't matter when it was written.

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 04/02/10 at 5:06 pm

I am currently hooked on the singing ladies of the 60's. Dione Warwick, Dusty Springfield, Petula Clark and Cilla Black sang some incredibly well written songs. My era was more the 70's and 80's...

Written By: karen on 04/02/10 at 7:58 pm

You can like whatever music you like. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/10 at 12:50 am

You can like whatever music you like. 

I agree.  The problem is there is soooo much music people don't know exists.  If you don't know it exists, how can you know you like it?  Even if you can get Dixieland jazz on satellite radio, the programmers don't know dick about that music. 

Written By: 80sfan on 04/04/10 at 11:03 pm

I love anything from 1955 to 1998. No, I am not joking!

There's 2 things I'm very broad and open about; music AND.... food!  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/05/10 at 11:06 am

Thanks, in advance.

That's totally how I am.

Like your roommate, I was born in the early 70s (1970 to be exact), I graduated high school in 1989, yet I never really cared much for 80s music, instead I've always liked the older 60s and 70s stuff.

One question: Do you and/or your roommate have older siblings? The reason I ask is that my older brother and sisters were teenagers in the 70s so I was exposed to the music of the "classic rock" era when I was a little kid, and a lot of that music takes me back to those days. Perhaps it may be the same for you?

And I thought (at the time anyway) that the 80's sucked for the most part, though I've been warming to them a lot more within the last few years.

BTW, you don't need anyone's permission to like anything.  ;)

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/05/10 at 8:19 pm

You can listen to anything you like....I've always enjoyed music that was before my time.  :)

Written By: topforty on 04/05/10 at 10:43 pm

I grew up in a household where Big Band music from the 40's was played.  Still remember Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters being played on Sundays.  Hank Sr, Patsy Cline, Teresea Brewer, Nat King Cole, Jim Reeves, Johnny Cash, Ray Price, Tammy Wynette, Louis Armstrong, Sonny James, Faron Young, Marty Robbins, Buck Owens, Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty were also put on the turntable during Sunday chicken dinners.  At the time, I'd just kind of roll my eyes and think geez can't we get some new stuff to listen too and during the latter part of the 70's I pretty refused to listen to any of what my parents listened too. 

But as I grew older I came to appreciate all this music.  I consider Nat King Cole's "When I Fall In Love" one of my all time favorite songs.  I have some Johnny Cash and Hank Sr in my CD collection.  I love listening  Tammy Wynette when she is singing. I don't have a copy of it but I never tire of Louis Armstrong's "What A Wonderful World".  I also consider Ray Price's "For The Good Times" an all-time favorite but now you're talking about a tune from the 1970's, but I think this would be Ray Price's last hit on the pop chart anyway.

And even though I'm an "old fogie" at 48, there are a few people I like from today.  Kelly Clarkson I don't mind and I do like Daughtry.  Have to say Clarkson surprises me as when she came out I thought for sure she'd fizzle like most other teenage poptarts, but she's put out some decent music.  My radio these days is tuned 90% of the time to a station playing 60's, 70's and 80's tunes, but when I do venture to a top 40 station there are a few songs being played I'll stop and listen to.  I get some country tunes in there too, although most of what I like from there comes from the 1980's into the 90's, but again there are those handful of country songs from the past ten years to today that I'll listen too.

Anyway what you like in music, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder or in this case, in the ear of the beholder.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/06/10 at 7:45 am

With all of this technology is easier than ever to. Just take a look at some of the '50s-'80s videos on YouTube and notice how so many of the posters are from the year they were born or even later. Most of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band stuff that Teens/Twentysomethings play is actually before their era. I had no desire for the Nu Metal/Teen Pop/Glam Rap, the dominant genres of music when I was in high school. I played in a school band and simply enjoyed the music I was playing there along with some smooth jazz/classical/oldies.

Also, many classic acts from the '60s-'80s still make plenty of buzz when they tour so it's easier for a good second generation of fans to develop; plus they get frequent airplay on classic hits radio. Unfortunately, the lack of "rebellion from parents" and wanting their own music is what caused the decline of mainstream quality over the past couple decades. Whereas if you were a teen in the '50s, '60s, '70s, or even '80s you simply wanted your own music feeling that your parent's tastes are too dull and square. It's all about IMAGE AND MONEY with the current acts, where I feel the fashion/typography/graphic effects is actually more critical and interesting than the lyrics/melody/and increasingly, the beat. Music today is basically an art/fashion show with some beats and ocassionally decent lyrics.

Written By: tnf on 04/08/10 at 10:14 am

*grabs to 'Best of The Shadows' cd, bought halfway 2009*

I'm from 1981...

Written By: statsqueen on 04/14/10 at 1:26 pm

Enjoy what you like!

I grew up listening to 70s music (Barry White, Lou Rawls, Bee Gees, Thelma Houston, etc) because that is what was played in my house.  My radio was set to a top 40 station, so I also got to hear the pop stuff through the 70s, 80s, etc.  My mom blared classical music on Tuesdays, so I got a taste of that (Mozart being my favorite).  When I was in my late 20s, I got exposed to jazz and absolutely fell in love.  Now I listen to the smooth jazz station out of Detroit through my computer at work.  I also discovered a love of Celtic (Irish/Scottish) music as well as standards (think Sinatra).  My CD collection is an eclectic mix of R&B, jazz, Celtic, pop/Top 40, rock and classical.

I'm like so many others.  I have my favorites, but there is stuff on the radio today that I enjoy.  Plus, I have a daughter who makes sure I know how to do the necessary dances (Cupid Shuffle, Turbo Hustle, etc).  I enjoy Daughtry, Lifehouse, The Script, and others...especially if I can dance to it.  I may be 42, but I still love to dance.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...