» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Things you can never forgive Hollywood for ...

Written By: whistledog on 04/20/10 at 8:36 pm

Here's a few ...

♦ Turning 'Double Dragon', the GREATEST video game of ALL TIME into a PG rated film.  I was all for a film of this game series, but only at Rated R and starring actors who actually suited the characters more close to the game.  I never saw this movie, and I do not intent to.

♦ 'Road to Hell', a 2008 unofficial sequel to 'Streets of Fire', the 1984 cult classic that is in my books as the greatest movie of all time.  Michael Paré and Deborah Van Valkenburgh reprise their roles from the original, but this time around, instead of being the hero, Tom Cody is a burned out soldier who turns into a serial killer.  Turning a great action classic into a horror film is totally unacceptable.

Subject: Re: Things you can never forgive Hollywood for ...

Written By: Animation Nutt on 04/20/10 at 8:46 pm

Lack of originality

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/20/10 at 10:02 pm

Blair Witch 2, it sucks!

;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/20/10 at 10:44 pm

Gangs of New York

Remaking freaking everything. 

David Caruso

Written By: Frank on 04/21/10 at 12:42 am

Rap music in any film.

Written By: Davester on 04/21/10 at 2:13 pm

For any movie wherein a modern sport/sporting event is central to the plot...

For caving to the idiotic Red Scare and blacklisting a long list of Hollywood's best and brightest, including Dalton Trumbo...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/21/10 at 6:51 pm

-Turning all those old t.v. shows that I loved when I was a kid into a movie.

-Turning old cartoons that I loved as a kid into a live action movie.

-Remaking wonderful old movies.

-Casting people who cannot sing or dance in musicals.

-Rewriting plays to turn them into movies-so they can cast people who cannot sing or dance in them.

-Kevin Costner.

Cat

Written By: tv on 04/22/10 at 11:50 am

1.) Seuqels

2.) A movie having to with a rap stars life.

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/22/10 at 7:36 pm

All those remakes!  8-P

Written By: Davester on 04/24/10 at 7:00 pm

1.) Seuqels

Really?  There's some pretty gol-darned good sequels...

And The Fly (1986) is an excellent re-make...

Written By: whistledog on 04/24/10 at 8:36 pm

Some times, a sequel is better than the original.

For me (and I am probably alone in this world when I say), I thought 'Caddyshack II' was better than the original.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/26/10 at 6:02 pm

Rap music in any film.

Wait a minute, what about a great movie like "Do The Right Thing"?  Radio Raheem would look pretty odd swaggering down the street with his giant boombox blasting Air Supply!
:D

Let's see, things I can never forgive Hollywood for:

1. E.T.
2. Re-releasing E.T.
3. Re-releasing E.T. sans the phrase "penis breath."
4. Blues Brothers 2000.  John Goodman is a good actor, but he ain't no John Belushi.
5. Arnold Schwarzenegger.
6. Letting Cheech & Chong make more than three movies.
7. Celebrating war and glorifying violence.
8. Mushy romantic comedies, including wedding movies.
9. Knuckling under to HUAC and Joe McCarthy.
10. Robin Leach.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/26/10 at 6:42 pm

For any movie wherein a modern sport/sporting event is central to the plot.javascript:void(0);
  For caving to the idiotic Red Scare and blacklisting a long list of Hollywood's best and brightest, including Dalton Trumbo...

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/wav.gif..

I am a big Trumbo fan

Written By: lola669 on 04/26/10 at 7:46 pm

-Psycho, 1998 staring Vince Vaughn.

-The Flintstones and The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas.

-Rob Zombie movies.

-Madonna movies.

-Godzilla starring Matthew Brodrick.

-Happy Feet

-Paris Hilton

-The Kardashian sisters.

-Friday the 13th parts 2 through 1,000.  ;D

-The Wicker Man

Written By: lola669 on 04/26/10 at 8:05 pm

I thought of a few more...

The Exorcist 2

Striptease and Showgirls

Movies never being as good as the books.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/27/10 at 8:52 pm

-Psycho, 1998 staring Vince Vaughn.

-The Flintstones and The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas.

-Rob Zombie movies.

-Madonna movies.

-Godzilla starring Matthew Brodrick.

-Happy Feet

-Paris Hilton

-The Kardashian sisters.

-Friday the 13th parts 2 through 1,000.   ;D

-The Wicker Man

"Desperately Seeking Susan" and "The Wicker Man" are among my guilty pleasures.  Other than that, I completely agree, including the other Madonna moves, especially "Shanghai Surprise"!
::)

Written By: Lindee on 05/02/10 at 7:16 pm

All the bad remakes of 70s and 80s movies ..... and the ones to come.  >:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/06/10 at 12:47 pm

"Desperately Seeking Susan" and "The Wicker Man" are among my guilty pleasures.  Other than that, I completely agree, including the other Madonna moves, especially "Shanghai Surprise"!
::)

She did ok in Evita but it was a major stretch for her. She did give it her best but it wasn't to the same caliber as Patti LaPone.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 05/06/10 at 4:24 pm

The Wiz  what were they thinking?  What was Diana Ross thinking?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/06/10 at 4:57 pm

The Wiz  what were they thinking?  What was Diana Ross thinking?

Wasn't she something like 40 years old playing the part of 16 year old?  ::)

Cat

Written By: Frank on 05/06/10 at 5:00 pm

Wasn't she something like 40 years old playing the part of 16 year old?  ::)

Cat

She could have played of of the teens in the original Beverly Hill 90210 or 20120 or...that show with Luke Perry..

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/06/10 at 5:12 pm

She could have played of of the teens in the original Beverly Hill 90210 or 20120 or...that show with Luke Perry..

Never watched that show.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/07/10 at 9:55 am

Wait a minute, what about a great movie like "Do The Right Thing"?  Radio Raheem would look pretty odd swaggering down the street with his giant boombox blasting Air Supply!

Let's see, things I can never forgive Hollywood for:

1. E.T.
2. Re-releasing E.T.
3. Re-releasing E.T. sans the phrase "penis breath."
4. Blues Brothers 2000.  John Goodman is a good actor, but he ain't no John Belushi.
5. Arnold Schwarzenegger.
6. Letting Cheech & Chong make more than three movies.
7. Celebrating war and glorifying violence.
8. Mushy romantic comedies, including wedding movies.
9. Knuckling under to HUAC and Joe McCarthy.
10. Robin Leach.

Some one must really not like E.T.

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/10 at 12:48 am

The Wiz  what were they thinking?  What was Diana Ross thinking?

See, it's the Wizard of Oz -- for Black people!
I mean, it's not like Hollywood is ever patronizing to African-Americans.

I'm investing in the Chicano version:

"The Weez"!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/24/10 at 6:48 pm

"Dude, Where's My Car?"

"Madonna: Truth Or Dare"

The word "Squeakquel"  >:( >:( >:(

Ben Stiller

Written By: Frank on 05/31/10 at 5:45 pm

...getting kids to grow up too fast in an environment they can't handle and understand.
Kids lives get screwed up forever.

RIP Gary Coleman, Dano Plato, Anissa Jones, Corey Haim and others...

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/02/10 at 7:29 pm

Blair Witch 2, it sucks!

;D

Blair Witch One was a waste of my life. I remember being all jazzed to see it and then going What the (BEEP) when I finally saw it.  >:(

And I must admit I hate when they try to remake classics. As much as I love Michael Jackson, I mean the man is on a golden pedastal for me, but The Wiz is just not a film I liked. I do not own this film on DVD. I have threatened my BF that if he buys it for me, I'll beat him up. Michael's portrayal as the Scarecrow was great, but Diana Ross was 34 damn years old in the film. Dororthy Gale is suppsoed to be a 14 year old girl. Diana was old enough to play Dorothy's MOTHER! The only saving factors of the film was Michael speaking in Ebonics which cracked me up. (Get me down off of dis 'ere pole!) and Lena Horn's wonderful singing at the end.  I always worried that if I met MJ, he'd want to watch this film and I'd have to fake smile for 2 and a half hours. LOL

If someone remakes Gone with the Wind, ove out the way because I'll be on the warpath.  >:(

Written By: danootaandme on 06/03/10 at 6:44 am

Blair Witch One was a waste of my life. I remember being all jazzed to see it and then going What the (BEEP) when I finally saw it.  >:(

And I must admit I hate when they try to remake classics. As much as I love Michael Jackson, I mean the man is on a golden pedastal for me, but The Wiz is just not a film I liked. I do not own this film on DVD. I have threatened my BF that if he buys it for me, I'll beat him up. Michael's portrayal as the Scarecrow was great, but Diana Ross was 34 damn years old in the film. Dororthy Gale is suppsoed to be a 14 year old girl. Diana was old enough to play Dorothy's MOTHER! The only saving factors of the film was Michael speaking in Ebonics which cracked me up. (Get me down off of dis 'ere pole!) and Lena Horn's wonderful singing at the end.  I always worried that if I met MJ, he'd want to watch this film and I'd have to fake smile for 2 and a half hours. LOL

If someone remakes Gone with the Wind, ove out the way because I'll be on the warpath.  >:(

When they gonna make this one

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510XY3T5EWL.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/10 at 10:58 am

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510XY3T5EWL.jpg

They already did.  ;) :D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH6TBEbP77Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nt0yi4wbro&feature=related

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 06/03/10 at 12:13 pm

The main thing I couldn't forgive Hollywood for was Garfield: The Movie. I used to watch the cartoon in the late 80s/early 90s and I thought this could have been an excellent way to show off the CGI effects that Hollywood were playing around with at the time (initially the film was going to be done in 2D animation, which would have probably been a million times better in retrospect).

The problem was, apart from a boring plot that went nowhere, the cat was CGi and everything around him was real life, giving me a really detached feeling to the events. Odie could have been a brilliant spoil for Garfield but they also made him real and do tricks in a dog show! Rubbish!

The only good point was using Bill Murray as the obvious choice for Garfield, sounding similar to Lorenzo Music's interpretation in the cartoons, quite ironic as Lorenzo Music imitated Bill Murray's voice as Peter Venkman in The Real Ghostbusters cartoon.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/10 at 5:32 pm

The original "Blair Witch Project" is another guilty pleasure of mine.  It actually did creep me out when I saw it in the theater.  Few motion pictures manage to do that.  The sequel had nothing to do with the original. 

"Gone With the Wind" is a wonderful picture, but I can't see them remaking it.  The subject is too touchy for our era:  Happy slaves, mammy maids, and Confederate heroes...well, it just gets folks too riled up. 

Hollywood now makes movies with $300 million budgets that have the intellectual prowess of the Flash Gordon serials they used to show for Saturday matinees.  If they want me to spend ten bucks for a box office ticket, they need to rediscover dramatic/comedic content and quit relying on special FX spectacle and cliche romantic mush. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/03/10 at 8:34 pm

(( The Wind Done Gone ))

...about the same time as Warner Brothers puts Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs on DVD without being sued into the Stone Age by everyone from the SPLC to the thawed-and-reanimated corpse of Walt himself, and for the first time in Hollywood history, copyright infringement'll be the last of the legal issues to deal with.

Obligatory Hollywood Evilness:  There was one Highlander movie, one Matrix movie, three Star Wars movies, and just like you count "1, 2, 5, 3-Sir, 3" in the Monty Python universe, you count "1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10" in the Star Trek universe.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/08/10 at 11:45 pm

The original "Blair Witch Project" is another guilty pleasure of mine.  It actually did creep me out when I saw it in the theater.  Few motion pictures manage to do that.  The sequel had nothing to do with the original. 

"Gone With the Wind" is a wonderful picture, but I can't see them remaking it.  The subject is too touchy for our era:  Happy slaves, mammy maids, and Confederate heroes...well, it just gets folks too riled up. 

Hollywood now makes movies with $300 million budgets that have the intellectual prowess of the Flash Gordon serials they used to show for Saturday matinees.  If they want me to spend ten bucks for a box office ticket, they need to rediscover dramatic/comedic content and quit relying on special FX spectacle and cliche romantic mush. 

Gone With The Wind used to bore me when I was 5  ;D, but then I grew up and grew a brain and realized it was a good film after all! The scenery in the movie is beautiful or should I say sublime. And the dialogue? Amazing!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/10 at 9:19 pm

...about the same time as Warner Brothers puts Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs on DVD without being sued into the Stone Age by everyone from the SPLC to the thawed-and-reanimated corpse of Walt himself, and for the first time in Hollywood history, copyright infringement'll be the last of the legal issues to deal with.

Obligatory Hollywood Evilness:  There was one Highlander movie, one Matrix movie, three Star Wars movies, and just like you count "1, 2, 5, 3-Sir, 3" in the Monty Python universe, you count "1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10" in the Star Trek universe.

Well, I'm not down with Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs, but the original Star Wars trilogy (episodes IV-VI) meant a great deal to me.  It was a whole theme in my childhood.

My dad loved Star Wars.  I never talked with him about exactly why.  He said it had to do with old stories of good and evil.  He had a deep liberal arts education, some of it quite arcane.  I think he picked up on all the archetypes and influences instantly.  The one George Lucas inspiration I don't think he knew was Kurosawa.  He was never a film buff.  He was a man of letters.  Four at a time.  That's the thing, he was the first guy to call something a f**kin' piece of s**t.  He had high regard for George Lucas, though.  Lucas had his skeptics, but the intellectuals liked him when Star Wars came out. 

All you really need to see to complete the series storyline (I'm not talking about other media, only movies) is Sith thru Jedi.  Lucas declined to make the final three sequels, which might have been a good business decision in the '90s, but it made a major story in my life come to an anticlimax.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/lsvader.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/10/10 at 6:09 pm

Well, I'm not down with Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs, but the original Star Wars trilogy (episodes IV-VI) meant a great deal to me.  It was a whole theme in my childhood.

My dad loved Star Wars.  I never talked with him about exactly why.  He said it had to do with old stories of good and evil.  He had a deep liberal arts education, some of it quite arcane.  I think he picked up on all the archetypes and influences instantly.  The one George Lucas inspiration I don't think he knew was Kurosawa.  He was never a film buff.  He was a man of letters.  Four at a time.   That's the thing, he was the first guy to call something a f**kin' piece of s**t.  He had high regard for George Lucas, though.  Lucas had his skeptics, but the intellectuals liked him when Star Wars came out. 

All you really need to see to complete the series storyline (I'm not talking about other media, only movies) is Sith thru Jedi.  Lucas declined to make the final three sequels, which might have been a good business decision in the '90s, but it made a major story in my life come to an anticlimax.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/lsvader.gif

The late GREAT Joseph Campbell LOVED  Star Wars for that reason-it is your basic fairy tale of good vs evil and all sorts of mythology added to the mix. (See The Power of Myth with Joseph Campbell & Bill Moyers  http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=the%20power%20of%20myth&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=vid:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wv&fp=8631cdd35a4d476d )

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/10 at 12:10 am

The late GREAT Joseph Campbell LOVED  Star Wars for that reason-it is your basic fairy tale of good vs evil and all sorts of mythology added to the mix. (See The Power of Myth with Joseph Campbell & Bill Moyers   http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=the%20power%20of%20myth&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=vid:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wv&fp=8631cdd35a4d476d )

Cat

The subject of my dad's thesis at Brown had something to do with Spanish literature in the 1800s.  He drew an interesting parallel of Don Quixote with "Fawlty Towers."  He explained how it had to do with Manuel's personality as a Spaniard, he worships Mr. Fawlty even though Fawlty is a dangerous fool who hurts him over and over again.  That made one of my favorite shows seem sadomasochist, which only intrigued me more!
:D :-\\

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/18/10 at 4:39 pm

TMZ.  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/10 at 7:50 pm

...Letting idiots such as Vanilla Ice and Paris Hilton make movies and then snubbing great screenplays because -- somehow -- Americans are too dumb!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/freak6.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...