» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Yesterdays Bands ... Todays Times ...

Written By: whistledog on 07/19/10 at 9:27 pm

Are those bands from yesteryear that are still around today the same, better or maybe no longer as good as they were?

I seen an ad on the Watertown NY station I get how there was a contest to win tickets to see Little River Band.  It got me thinking how whoever wins those tickets will get to see a LRB cover band. 

The only member of LRB today who was around in their heyday is American-born Wayne Nelson, who joined in 1980.  He did sing lead on 'The Night Owls', which to me was their masterpiece, but that's just not enough.  The classic Australian band you knew and loved is now pretty much Americanized. 

Original LRB members Beeb Birtles, Glenn Shorrock and Graheme Goble tour as a trio, and I'd go see them perform in a heartbeat.

Subject: Re: Yesterdays Bands ... Todays Times ...

Written By: gibbo on 07/19/10 at 9:58 pm

I believe most older bands are now not worth the money.  LRB is not worth it..however, Birtles, Gobles and Shorrock would be absolutely worth it (they cannot use the LRB name anymore).

I have been watching America on youtube ...and the singing quality is no longer present. They are touring with Chicago ...who are basically doing covers of their own music (Cetera was a large part of their sound).

Fleetwood Mac would be worth a look...but I want Christine McVie there to experience the whole sound.

The Eagles...I have seen them a couple of times and they are coming to Australia in December. Looking at youtube...they have not lost their quality. Their vocals are still amazingly spot on.

Lou Gramm's voice has deteriorated badly (but his health had a lot to do with that).

Even AC/DC have lost so much sound quality  (and that's saying something)!!!

Listened to Nazareth on youtube the other day and the lead singers voice sounded awful.

I think The Stones could still be worth a look though.

Always wanted see McCartney....but he won't come to Brisbane ...and his vocals have deteriorated badly in the past couple of years.

Ann Wilson (Heart) still sound great.

They had a COUNTDOWN (Aussie music show from the 70's) reunion concert a couple of years back...and Rick Springfield had not changed at all. Apparently, it was live... :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/10 at 11:46 pm

Depeche Mode built up to their commercial apex over ten years (1980-1990 Photographic - Enjoy the Silence).  Twenty years later, they're still around, but the only album I've liked since "Violator" (1989) is "Playing the Angel" (2006) and that was because it was a reasonable facsimile of how they used to sound.

"Sounds of the Universe," don't get me started!
::)

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/10 at 8:49 am

I believe most older bands are now not worth the money.  LRB is not worth it..however, Birtles, Gobles and Shorrock would be absolutely worth it (they cannot use the LRB name anymore).

I would go see LRB, but only to hear 'The Night Owls', then I would leave.
Without Shorrock, or maybe even Farnham, it's nothing more than a cover band.

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/10 at 8:51 am

Depeche Mode built up to their commercial apex over ten years (1980-1990 Photographic - Enjoy the Silence).  Twenty years later, they're still around, but the only album I've liked since "Violator" (1989) is "Playing the Angel" (2006) and that was because it was a reasonable facsimile of how they used to sound.

The same here.  Albums in between 'Violator' and 'Playing the Angel' would have been great, had they not been Depeche Mode albums.  'Playing the Angel' was a welcome return to their early 80s sound.

Written By: gibbo on 07/20/10 at 9:16 pm

Agreed...I can't think of any other big hit of LRB with Wayne Nelson on lead vocals...(and I really liked The Night Owls).

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/10 at 10:30 pm

Agreed...I can't think of any other big hit of LRB with Wayne Nelson on lead vocals...(and I really liked The Night Owls).

I think it was the only one, on singles anyway.  Shorrock's vocals overpowered his, so he was more a backup singer, full time bass player.

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/10 at 10:38 pm

I believe Stephen Housden still owns the rights to the LRB name.  He replaced David Briggs in 1981, but left in 2006.
For his time with the band, he was awesome with his work on 'The Net', but was an ass for preventing BSG from referencing LRB in their act...Yet, LRB still continues to perform the songs that BSG wrote.

Written By: zcrito on 07/20/10 at 10:59 pm

Stick around a little longer to at least hear how well they do
without Glenn Shorrock on their best song, "Help Is on Its Way", then leave.

I saw them in 1997 and I'm sure only one or two were original members of the band even back then.

Check for new replies or respond here...