» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Gritty psychological thrillers

Written By: Ryan112390 on 07/21/10 at 10:20 pm

I've noticed a recurring trend--
The early 1970s introduced (or rei-introduced depending on your view) the idea of gritty, psychological thrillers onto the big screen, and the fad of gritty thrillers such as the "French Connection", "The Seven Ups", "Serpico", "The Conversation", and "Cruising" persisted through the decade, but gradually was replaced by the "Blockbuster" campy-ness of the '80s (much like the campy early- mid 1960s). I've noticed a resurgence in the past 4 years or so of that gritty psychological crime thriller or gritty psychological drama on the big screen once again--It's just odd to see a genre or sub-genre re-appearing after so many years

Subject: Re: Gritty psychological thrillers

Written By: gibbo on 07/22/10 at 1:41 am

What latter day films do you believe fit this category?  Seriously... none are coming to mind for me. I can see many attempts at this genre...but few capture the suspense required to carry it off.  Older films ...like Rear Window did it well. Plenty of edge-of-the-seat suspense without lots of noisy action.

Many of todays directors aren't brave enough to make a film without loud boom-crash-bang action and CGI effects ...and they leave little time for a plot. Too busy making the murered bodies look as gruesome as possible. Friday the 13th should have taught them that 'less is more'.

They remade Rear Window as "Disturbia" and the the more modern film was okay...but not great!

Have another watch of Rear Window and appreciate just how good a film maker Hitchcock was...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/10 at 9:44 pm

The reason Hitchcock was as tame as he was is the motion picture industry demanded it. 

"Psycho" (1960, the original, not sequels, not remakes) will creep the hell out of you.  There are really only two shocking scenes in the film.  The rest of it is the twisted soul known as Norman Bates!

Similar to "The Shining" (1980).  It doesn't rely on shock value so much as a slow descent into Jack Torrence's insanity! 

"Silence of the Lambs" (1991).  The name immediately makes you think of Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter even though he's on screen for only about 16 minutes of a two hour movie.  The interplay between Dr. Lecter and Agent Starling is the gritty psychological thriller part of the movie.  The gruesome part is the investigation into the Buffalo Bill case, which dominates the film.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/23/10 at 12:01 am

I love Rear Window. Nobody could beat Grace Kelly and James Stewart together. Not to mention Perry Mason himself, Raymond Burr! Awesome film. And I love Hitchock. If it wasn't for him the best shot in Michael Jackson's Thriller wouldn't have been possible.**

**The moment when Michael's girlfriend realizes he's a zombie, there's that great pull in/pull out shot, a trademark of Hitchcock cinema. Good evening!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/30/10 at 11:32 am

For me, it's all about Silence of The Lambs, Seven, and Panic Room.

Check for new replies or respond here...