» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Good TV show spin-offs

Written By: whistledog on 07/22/10 at 11:31 pm

There were some bad ones, but there were also some great ones too ...

Empty Nest - A Golden Girls spin-off that chronicled the lives of Dr. Harry Weston and his two live at home daughters

Nurses - Centered around the Doctors and Nurses who worked on a different floor in the same hospital as Harry Weston.

Just The 10 of Us - Graham Lubbock, coach at Mike Seaver's high school on Growing Pains, gets a job at a private school, so he moves his family to an upscale country neighbourhood.  Well remembered for the hot daughters and references to 'A Nightmare on Elm Street'

Mama's Family - From a Carol Burnett sketch to a six season run.

Benson - From dysfunctional morons to political idiots.  Do you want me to get that?  If you don't mind!

Laverne and Shirley / Mork and Mindy - Hallo!  Just as long as the love Joanie had for Chachi was not present.  Shazbot!

The Facts of Life - Because Blair Warner was hot!

Subject: Re: Good TV show spin-offs

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/22/10 at 11:48 pm

I like Familly Matters. It was a spinoff of Perfect Strangers (I loved Bronson Pinchot) and FM introduced us to the Winslows and Steve Urkel. I like this show over the Cosby show because it kind showed a more realistic suburban family, with parents working normal jobs. Plus everytime I see Jo  Marie Payton as Hariette, she reminds me of my mother.  :)

Written By: Frank on 07/23/10 at 12:45 am

The Jeffersons was a good show ( Spin-off of All in the family). It lasted for several years.

Frasier ( From Cheers) had it's funny moments as well.

Written By: gibbo on 07/23/10 at 1:03 am

The Jeffersons was a good show ( Spin-off of All in the family). It lasted for several years.

Frasier ( From Cheers) had it's funny moments as well.

Frasier was maybe the greatest spinoff of them all.....perhaps even surpassing the original show. :-\\

Written By: Frank on 07/23/10 at 1:11 am

Frasier was maybe the greatest spinoff of them all.....perhaps even surpassing the original show. :-\\

While Frasier had it's funny moments, I preferred Cheers. I really liked the Sam/Diane romance there. I liked Norm, Crala, Coach and Woody.
I liked Niles and Daphne on Frasier, but I didn't like Roz, Martin or the other characters as much.

Written By: gibbo on 07/23/10 at 1:49 am

While Frasier had it's funny moments, I preferred Cheers. I really liked the Sam/Diane romance there. I liked Norm, Crala, Coach and Woody.
I liked Niles and Daphne on Frasier, but I didn't like Roz, Martin or the other characters as much.

I really liked all of the characters on both of those shows. I liked Cheers more...but thought Frasier had the more sophiticated comedy writing.

I just loved the way Sam was such a one-track minded chauvinist. My hero..... ;D

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/10 at 7:33 am

Frasier was great.  The way he was portrayed on his own show though, you would never think he'd spend all those years in a bar.

Frasier had a bit of a casting error.  John Mahoney, who played Martin Crane, had a guest appearance in an episode of Cheers.  He played a songwriter whom Rebecca hires to write a jingle for the bar, that Frasier is skeptical of because all the songs he comes up with are all set to the tune of already existing songs lol

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/10 at 12:35 pm

Happy Days (from Love American Style)
Laverne & Shirley (from Happy Days)
Mork & Mindy (from Happy Days)
The Jeffersons (from All in the Family)
Maude (from All in the Family)
Facts of Life (from Diff'rent Strokes)
Benson (from Soap)
Empty Nest (from The Golden Girls)
Port Charles (from General Hospital)
The Colbys (from Dynasty)
The Simpsons (from The Tracy Ullman Show)
Star Trek: The Next Generation (from Star Trek)
Sabrina The Teenage Witch (From Archies)
Daria (from Beavis & Butthead)
The Honeymooners (from The Jackie Gleeson Show)
A Different World (from The Cosby Show)
Xena (from Hercules)
Lou Grant (Mary Tyler Moore Show)
Rhoda (Mary Tyler Moore Show)
Bionic Woman (The Six Million Dollar Man)

I may come up with more later.

Cat

Written By: robby76 on 07/23/10 at 8:55 pm

Am I the only one who thought Joey's spin-off from Friends was pretty funny?

The Ropers from Three's Company was alright if memory serves me right. I was very young though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/10 at 9:19 pm

See, successful spin-offs, such as The Jeffersons or Frasier, don't seem like spin-offs because, after a few seasons, they take on their own themes and subplots like any other long-running series. 

I never thought of Frasier as a Cheers spin-off, but more of an independent continuation of the Dr. Frasier Crane character, picking up as soon as Cheers retired.  I guess that does make it a spin-off.

I never saw any episodes of The Ropers (1979-1980), a Three's Company spin-off, featuring Norman Fell and Audra Lindley as Helen and Stanley Roper.  The rapport between these characters on TC was excellent.  Maybe there's some clips on Youtube by now.  Anyway, I heard the show was actually pretty good.  Did anybody see it?
???

Written By: whistledog on 07/26/10 at 7:33 pm

I never saw any episodes of The Ropers (1979-1980), a Three's Company spin-off, featuring Norman Fell and Audra Lindley as Helen and Stanley Roper.  The rapport between these characters on TC was excellent.  Maybe there's some clips on Youtube by now.  Anyway, I heard the show was actually pretty good.  Did anybody see it?
???

I watched the reruns of it in the early 80's.  Not seen it since.  It was an alright show, but for some reason, the characters often sat in an outdoor hot tub and bickered back and forth.

Written By: Frank on 07/26/10 at 7:35 pm

???

I watched a few shows. There were some humorous moments.  There wasn't anyone on the show who could "carry" the show, that was the problem. Jeffrey Tambor (Larry Sanders show and others) was good in it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/10 at 9:36 pm

I watched a few shows. There were some humorous moments.  There wasn't anyone on the show who could "carry" the show, that was the problem. Jeffrey Tambor (Larry Sanders show and others) was good in it.

Tambor is a great character actor.  He works a lot actually.  His face is very familiar. 

I think that's where show spinoffs fail most.  They don't generate enough dynamism into the characters to make the show gel. 

Why did we watch "All In the Family"?  It was because Carroll O'Connor (Archie) was so funny when he interacted with Jean Stapleton (Edith) and Rob Reiner (Mike, "Meathead").  Everything else was peripheral.  The episodes focusing on Mike and Gloria's (Sally Struthers) marital problems are now all out of date.  However, the issues Archie and Mike bring up when they're arguing are relevant to today!

O'Connor, Stapleton, Struthers, and Reiner is an unusually strong cast.

Carrol O'Connor made "Awchie" such a familiar character that he ran several seasons of "Archie Bunker's Place."  However, even a relatively successful spinoff with the issues-oriented themes of "All in the Family" lacked the dynamics with Edith, Archie, and Mike that made the program so clever and funny.
:)

Check for new replies or respond here...