» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Favorite Childhood Novels

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/27/10 at 9:23 pm

What were some of your favorite books when you were little?

I loved The Boxcar Children.  And all of Judy Blume's books.  Especially Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Superfudge.  I also loved "scary" books.  There was one called Wait til Helen Comes that scared the crap out of me but I read it over and over again.  And of course there's Nancy Drew and Little House on the Prairie.  This is what I can think of off the top of my head - what about ya'll?

Subject: Re: Favorite Childhood Novels

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/27/10 at 10:05 pm

Little House series, definitely.  The books are still published with the original Garth Williams illustrations, right?  The illustrations are integral to the overall feeling of the story.  

Also,The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.  My father was adamant on J. R.R. Tolkien.  He wasn't concerned with the Tolkien esoterica, which he read as well, but he read LOTR and The Hobbit to us and then we read them ourselves when we were a little older.  Some of the best memories I have of my dad are of him reading LOTR to us.  He had a fantastically rich, deep voice and a theatrical knowledge of rhythm.  A treat to listen to.  Sometimes I would go off to bed with fantastic visions of the beautiful and the horrible I heard in Tolkien's words!
Also

E.B White, Charlotte's Webb
C.S. Lewis, Chronicles of Narnia
Lewis Carroll: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
George MacDonald: The Princess and the Goblin
Harper Lee: To Kill A Mockingbird

I also liked the Henry Huggins books by Beverly Cleary, who is still alive at the age of 94!  Just after, as my reading skill progressed, I loved the "Great Brain" series by John D. Fitzgerald.  These aren't in the canon of classical children's literature, but screw all that, that's what I liked to read.  At least I was reading!  
;D

Same with the S.E. Hinton novels in adolescence.  Especially, The Outsiders.  That book used to get banned from schools, now it's standard eighth grade curriculum.  Possibly passe.  Some schools still ban J.D. Salinger's Catcher In The Rye.  That was my favorite in ninth grade.

We were exposed to literature as recited or intoned by our teachers at the Waldorf School.  Our parents read to us at home.  I think that's an experience a lot of kids miss.  To hear books read aloud helps kids develop a sense of voice and narrative in literature. Otherwise, it's like knowing how to sight read music but never being able to listen to Mozart.  I don't blame kids for thinking reading is boring.  It is often presented to them in a boring manner.  

Written By: snozberries on 08/27/10 at 11:05 pm

I loved The Boxcar Children.  And all of Judy Blume's books.  Especially Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Superfudge.  I also loved "scary" books.  There was one called Wait til Helen Comes that scared the crap out of me but I read it over and over again.  And of course there's Nancy Drew and Little House on the Prairie.  This is what I can think of off the top of my head - what about ya'll?

Wait till Helen Comes Home... you may be the only person I know who's read it... that book defined on page 62 or 67 or something exactly how I feel about death!

I read all the Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary books then at 12 I found and fell in love with Trixie Belden!!!

as I got older it was the lois duncan books. Particularly  The Third Eye, Five Were Missing (aka Ransom)
And then random books. The Solid Gold Kid (about kidnapping) The Creep (about a child molester)  (I was a twisted teen...)

Ritchie Tankersly Cusack's The Lifeguard

and books by Joan Lowery Nixon (who wrote the box car children) but I preferred her young adult stuff.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/27/10 at 11:16 pm

Keyes, Flowers for Algernon
Steinbeck: Of Mice and Men
:\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 08/27/10 at 11:20 pm

I loved the The Boxcar Children!  Luckily there were lots of Nancy Drew, because one summer I think I read one a day, I wanted to be her, until James Bond showed up, then I wanted to be Bond....James Bond.

Written By: snozberries on 08/27/10 at 11:23 pm

oh yeah... I was a total sucker for Encyclopedia Brown and also the Three Investigators... they were geared for boys but I didn't care..

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/10 at 1:05 am

The first 4 Harry Potter books were great. Then books 5 to 7 dissapointed me greatly! JK must've lost her passion for Harry after the first 4 books!  :o

Written By: ADH13 on 08/28/10 at 1:20 am

Not exactly a novel, but I *loved* Amelia Bedelia!! :D

I don't remember reading many novels unless I had to for school.  I had this set of children's encyclopedias and several of those "choose your own ending" books I mostly read.

Written By: snozberries on 08/28/10 at 1:56 am

The first 4 Harry Potter books were great. Then books 5 to 7 dissapointed me greatly! JK must've lost her passion for Harry after the first 4 books!  :o

I disagree... I think she accurately captured the anguish and annoyance of teen angst. Of course when I read the books I did so in my late 30s so I was a bit more removed and objective than you probably were

Written By: snozberries on 08/28/10 at 1:57 am

Not exactly a novel, but I *loved* Amelia Bedelia!! :D

I don't remember reading many novels unless I had to for school.  I had this set of children's encyclopedias and several of those "choose your own ending" books I mostly read.

the choose your own adventure books were great! I also loved those one minute/five minute mystery books where they gave you a mystery and you tried to figure out the ending...

Written By: gibbo on 08/28/10 at 2:01 am

oh yeah... I was a total sucker for Encyclopedia Brown and also the Three Investigators... they were geared for boys but I didn't care..

Oh...I loved The Three Investigator series as well. They had cool titles...like The case of the Stuttering Parrot or The Green Ghost ... :)

The Secret Seven series was my favorite (before I found the Three Investigators).

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/10 at 2:02 am

I disagree... I think she accurately captured the anguish and annoyance of teen angst. Of course when I read the books I did so in my late 30s so I was a bit more removed and objective than you probably were

Yeah, I read the last 3 books when I was deep in a depression so maybe I was in a bad mood when I read the last 3 books.  :-[

I'll reread them again and try to see if I can like them. I think what I liked about the first 4 books was the innocence. So maybe that's why the last 3 weren't my cup of tea. But hey, I'll take your word for it!  :(

Written By: snozberries on 08/28/10 at 2:10 am

Yeah, I read the last 3 books when I was deep in a depression so maybe I was in a bad mood when I read the last 3 books.  :-[

I'll reread them again and try to see if I can like them. I think what I liked about the first 4 books was the innocence. So maybe that's why the last 3 weren't my cup of tea. But hey, I'll take your word for it!  :(

liking the innocence of the first 4 makes total sense but, if you think about everything Harry experienced... especially  watching Cedric die.... there was no way for Harry to retain his innocence.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/10 at 2:14 am

I read Uncle Tom's Cabin this summer. It was more interesting than I thought. I give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/10 at 3:17 am

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

Written By: Frank on 08/28/10 at 11:40 am

Le Petit prince - Antoine de St Exupery

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/28/10 at 1:53 pm

Most definitely!  Also Huckleberry Finn.  

I read Uncle Tom's Cabin this summer. It was more interesting than I thought. I give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars!

Harrie Beecher Stowe.  I never forgot that book.  I wouldn't recommend UTC for anyone under 14 or thereabouts.  It depends on the reading aptitude and maturity of the individual.  Of course, sentences such as,
"Sam paced frantically up and down the barn, ejaculating all the while,"
are always fun!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nerd.gif

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/10 at 2:13 pm

Ooh, I HAVE GOT TO read that one!

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/28/10 at 6:37 pm

I read most of the Little House books.

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

Books by Paul Zindel and Judy Blume.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/28/10 at 8:50 pm

Le Petit prince - Antoine de St Exupery

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/asteroid.png

For every Internet thread, there exists at least one XKCD.

Now that that's out of the way...

Me?  I'm going to go for the obscure The Vandarian Incident (aka The Day The Sky Exploded, by the late, and equally-obscure Martyn Godfrey.  

I remember nothing about the novel except that it introduced me to the concept of "The X-Factor".  In 1981, that term didn't refer to a UK-based reality show.  It was a concept that neatly encapsulated "The best-laid plans of mice and men...", or "Poop happens".  It doesn't matter what you do, something unpredictable can always come up.  Because it's unpredictable, you can't compute how probable it is.  Because it's impossible to predict what will happen, you can't even take preventative measures against it.  The only thing you can do is (to borrow two phrases from two different age groups) to "be prepared" to "adapt and overcome"...

A more adult science-fiction reference would be the Outside Context Problem, from Iain Banks' Excession, and a real-world example would be Nassim Taleb's Black Swan.

Knowing about it didn't save my butt during the Crash of 2008, but encountering the concept shortly before junior high got me to the point where I cared about the Crash of 2008.  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to dig around in my boxes of archived books :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/01/10 at 1:31 pm

VERY YOUNG books (probably not considered novels):

-The Jenny Linsky books. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Averill  A few years back I think I bought all of them-for myself.  :D ;D ;D ;D
- I also loved Barney Beagle. ("Every dog should have his own boy." )
-Where the Wild Thing Are-Maurice Sendak

Jr/Sr. high school:

-The Pigman-Paul Zindel
-From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler-E.L. Konigsburg
-The Cat Ate My Gymsuit-Paula Danziger
-The Outsiders-S.E. Hinton
-That Was Then, This is Now-S.E. Hinton
-If I Love You, Am I Trapped Forever? - M.E. Kerr
-The Giver-Lois Lowry
-My Darling, My Hamburger-Paul Zindel.

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I can think of off hand.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/10 at 8:13 pm

-The Jenny Linsky books. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Averill  A few years back I think I bought all of them-for myself.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Jr/Sr. high school:

-The Pigman-Paul Zindel
-The Giver-Lois Lowry

Cat

I have read your list and would like to add every single one of those books to my list!  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/01/10 at 11:36 pm

-The Jenny Linsky books. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Averill  A few years back I think I bought all of them-for myself.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Jr/Sr. high school:

-The Pigman-Paul Zindel
-The Giver-Lois Lowry

Cat

"The Outsiders" is still one of my favorite novels.  From a critical standpoint...who cares?  It made a huge impression on me the first time I read it when I was eleven.  And of course my two favorite characters are the most tragic...Johnny Cade and Dallas Winston.  The greasers and the socs.  I wasn't clued in I should pronounce "soc" as "sōsh."  I read it as greasers and socks!
:D

Oh, and don't bother with the movie.  It's crap.  Worth it if you've got the hots for Matt Dillon and/or Ralph Macchio.  Even then, the screenplay doesn't do justice to Hinton's novel!

I have a special affinity for Sendak's "Where the Wild Things Are" because the kid's name is Max.
:)

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/10 at 11:46 pm

The greasers and the socs.  I wasn't clued in I should pronounce "soc" as "sōsh."  I read it as greasers and socks!

same here.... even after seeing the movie I still pronounced it as socks.... it's only seeing it now that I realize socs is short for socialites

what? I wasn't putting any deep thought into it at the time and I hadn't thought about it since...

as for the movie... I liked it.... except for that one scene... Matt Dillion gives the worst death scene in Hollywood history  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/10 at 12:01 am

same here.... even after seeing the movie I still pronounced it as socks.... it's only seeing it now that I realize socs is short for socialites

what? I wasn't putting any deep thought into it at the time and I hadn't thought about it since...

as for the movie... I liked it.... except for that one scene... Matt Dillion gives the worst death scene in Hollywood history  ;D

I think Hinton uses the phrase "social jetsetters" or something once early on.  That's where we were supposed to pick up on it
::)

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/10 at 12:09 am

I think Hinton uses the phrase "social jetsetters" or something once early on.  That's where we were supposed to pick up on it
::)

yeah I was such a stupid kid I probably had no clue what that meant.. .it'd be interesting to go back and read it as an adult... I wonder if I stil own a copy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/10 at 12:16 am

yeah I was such a stupid kid I probably had no clue what that meant.. .it'd be interesting to go back and read it as an adult... I wonder if I stil own a copy.

I didn't even know it took place in Oklahoma City.  It seemed like she was writing about a city in the Midwest, but it was modeled on OKC.

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/10 at 8:31 am

I didn't even know it took place in Oklahoma City.  It seemed like she was writing about a city in the Midwest, but it was modeled on OKC.

That I did know.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/02/10 at 12:02 pm

I have read your list and would like to add every single one of those books to my list!  :)

Even the Jenny Linsky books?

"The Outsiders" is still one of my favorite novels.  From a critical standpoint...who cares?  It made a huge impression on me the first time I read it when I was eleven.  And of course my two favorite characters are the most tragic...Johnny Cade and Dallas Winston.  The greasers and the socs.  I wasn't clued in I should pronounce "soc" as "sōsh."  I read it as greasers and socks!

Oh, and don't bother with the movie.  It's crap.  Worth it if you've got the hots for Matt Dillon and/or Ralph Macchio.  Even then, the screenplay doesn't do justice to Hinton's novel!

I have a special affinity for Sendak's "Where the Wild Things Are" because the kid's name is Max.
:)

I lived in Tulsa, OK in 1977-78 and they still used the terms "socs" & "hoods".

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/10 at 1:58 pm

Even the Jenny Linsky books?

I lived in Tulsa, OK in 1977-78 and they still used the terms "socs" & "hoods".

Cat

"Soc" must be a Midwest thing.  I've never heard it anywhere but in S.E. Hinton.
Actually Hinton is from Tulsa, not OKC.  My mistake.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/03/10 at 4:05 am

I had a summer filled with Sherlock Holmes

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/03/10 at 10:03 am

They're not novels but when I was really little I loved...

George and Martha
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=242743322705&id=982077038a973b18987798c9f7f606e8&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.kdl.org%2fimage_attachments%2f0000%2f3151%2f512qwghjdtl.jpg%3f1192456953

Gus was a Friendly Ghost
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=233359872261&id=a8b125919fa45c9ba0eb39c344828345&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.vintagehalloween.com%2f09scangus.jpg

The House on East 88th Street
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=242028848303&id=77e5c111f85d353ba228dfc087be8713&url=http%3a%2f%2f2.bp.blogspot.com%2f_UbhxqgDtiHE%2fR1TN6tTF7YI%2fAAAAAAAAAkc%2fBCVfp2BqX3I%2fs1600-R%2fThe%2bHouse%2bon%2b88th%2b

Christina Katerina and the Box
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=215075655581&id=3a0cdb32d04257db668cd226b0b26f44&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.priorlake-savage.k12.mn.us%2f169020821113429157%2flib%2f169020821113429157%2fchristinakaterina.jp

When I had kidsI bought the books for them.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/03/10 at 12:53 pm

Ethelyn M. Parkinson's "Rupert Piper" books.  These were written between the 1950s and 1970s.  I mostly remember "Double Trouble For Rupert" and "Triple Trouble For Rupert."  

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/22/58/308092c008a055965b70b010.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Written By: King Tut on 09/07/11 at 12:43 pm

Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Nancy Drew mysteries
Hardy Boys mysteries
The red badge of courage
Call of the wild

Written By: danootaandme on 09/07/11 at 4:21 pm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c1/The_500_hats_of_bartholomew_cubbins.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/07/11 at 6:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emt08NorRU8

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 09/07/11 at 6:43 pm

One of my favorites was Between Friends by Shiela Garrigue.  It was about a girl that moves in to a house next to a family with a girl her age with Downs Syndrome.  It is a sweet book. 

Check for new replies or respond here...